Thee Pac2 Network

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Thee Pac12 Network

Post by azcat49 »

Hard to trust a “source” who calls us the bearcats.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:01 pm
TheCat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:53 pm Not sure of the source but doubt the Regents would approve without a package that includes Arizona State.
I've read in multiple sources that ABOR has no say on this issue.
I was listening to Jason Scheer and Mike Luke podcast and the thought of the ABOR has changed. They think Arizona moving to the Big 12 is the right decision and they won't challenge it.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Catintheheat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:28 pm
azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:01 pm
TheCat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:53 pm Not sure of the source but doubt the Regents would approve without a package that includes Arizona State.
I've read in multiple sources that ABOR has no say on this issue.
I was listening to Jason Scheer and Mike Luke podcast and the thought of the ABOR has changed. They think Arizona moving to the Big 12 is the right decision and they won't challenge it.
Basically the ABOR knows ASU will have to do the same unless the Gerbils want to remain in the Crap Pac. They might want to rise from the frothing lake of shit and become the Kings of Crap. Would allow them to hang another piece of toilet paper from the rafters.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

George “Evemtually Maybe” Kliavkoff
Notice no one was so blown away they were ready to sign on immediately.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:40 am George “Evemtually Maybe” Kliavkoff
Notice no one was so blown away they were ready to sign on immediately.
Yep, this is the same mantra we have been hearing for almost a year. My fear is that Robbins won't jump to the Big 12. I believe he wants to be the president of Stanford, and doesn't want to hurt his chances.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

If the numbers presented today were in any way good enough to keep the conference together, that’s all we’d be hearing today. You’d see talk of “renewed optimism” and “clear path forward”. Instead all we’ve heard is that there are numbers and they’ll meet again. I’m guessing Kliavkoff was forced to show what he had and that it was a pile of crap.

Hello PAC-8 Network.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

:lol:
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

“Please sir, alms for the poor?”
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well the only upside to this deal is that I heard ESPN was looking to go 100% streaming soon. Have know idea if that is valid or not but I hate all streaming. I also hear the deal on the table was just south of $20M w/o incentives. Stick a fork in this conference if that is true.

Something else I found. "The question, then, is when will Disney offer ESPN as a stand-alone streaming channel, allowing people to buy it a la carte, and not as part of some larger package of channels they don’t really want?

“We haven’t said when, but we do know that it will happen,” Iger said on CNBC."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What’s the impetus to give up even shrinking cable carriage fees if you can also stream your content live and on demand?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The demise of the PAC is sad, but it was suicide.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I wonder how fast the channels themselves will disappear after this final sports season is over. I hope whatever skeleton crew is left can give it (and the conference) a nice farewell video.

But watch as the plug is just pulled randomly and that's it.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:36 pm I wonder how fast the channels themselves will disappear after this final sports season is over. I hope whatever skeleton crew is left can give it (and the conference) a nice farewell video.

But watch as the plug is just pulled randomly and that's it.
It would be fitting for their last program to be listed as a replay of the 2022 Territorial Cup but instead it’s Stanford vs Oregon State women’s water polo and it just plays on repeat until the sun swallows the earth.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

And that's been one of the big problems in the conference for a long time. This whole media rights thing has been a remedial class in how much it's about football. But Pac-12 presidents set the tone harrumphing about the various non-revenue sports. I like them all just fine, but you shouldn't have to remind people "if you want to help the fencing team, support football, because that's what pays for it." But a lot of people refuse if they don't win big first, and even then maybe not. The "Conference of Champions" absolutely wasn't, if you focused on the all-important football and basketball.

Meanwhile, without knee-jerk responses because of how poorly the P12N was run, I'd like to see a Big XII Network. Just one bare-bones channel, managed by somebody who knows what they're doing, and similar to the SEC or Big Ten networks. Fine to have a studio scoreboard show, and it would be nice for media day events. But the replays should be all football and basketball games, and I'd think that could just about be automated. Carry some spillover live games in lieu of, or in addition to, school or conference streaming. Seems appropriate for the "we're number three!" conference, when even the ACC has one.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Dear PAC12 network-

Go fuck yourself
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:55 am https://pac-4.com
The '24 schedule is hilarious!!!!!
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

That's awesome!
UAEebs86

Re: Thee Pac4 Network

Post by UAEebs86 »

Just noticed the name change of the thread - LMFAO!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

IMNSHO, we shouldn’t be smug about the end of the Pac-12 - 1977 was a great leap forward for the U of A…

… and, BTW, we’re still a member for all upcoming sports’ seasons!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Being smug and having a sense of humor about the situation are miles apart
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Does our new conference have women's beach volleyball. I know that USC and UCLA were trying to negotiate their beach vball team to stay in the PAC because their new conference did not have enough teams?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

F the LA schools.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:50 pm F the LA schools.
This. I’ll never forget.

Fuck those guys.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am gonna watch so much PAC-12 football and basketball this year

I talked to five different people today who are going to Vegas this year for the tournament who have never been before and my big group who goes every year all got hotels already.

Vegas is gonna be insane
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah I've never been to Vegas for the tournament before, but I might just have to go just so I can experience it once. Tucson needs to flood Vegas and show the Big 12 what's about to hit them.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I will be watching a lot of Big-12 games this year. These will be some of the teams we are going to play next year.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I'm just glad I'm not gonna have to stream every game for all you fools out there after we're free from the Pac-12 :lol:
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Why are we being branded as reluctant? If we weren't saddled with ASU we would've moved sooner and with less drama.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Fishclamps wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:37 pm I'm just glad I'm not gonna have to stream every game for all you fools out there after we're free from the Pac-12 :lol:
Not so fast my little friend.....
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Fishclamps wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:37 pm I'm just glad I'm not gonna have to stream every game for all you fools out there after we're free from the Pac-12 :lol:
Haha. As one of those fools, I'll tell you again it was awesome that you did that for us. Thanks again.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:32 am
Why are we being branded as reluctant? If we weren't saddled with ASU we would've moved sooner and with less drama.
Yeah...writers stick with whatever narrative they invent. There's a lot of post-mortem on all of this that's total bullshit. But you've got these website types who are stuck in their particular region trying to sell themselves as national brand insiders based on phone calls with a couple of local "sources." In most cases, I'd guess the sources are either just their peers, loose-lipped opinionated athletic department types, or somebody pushing leaks trying to influence events. Some of the self-proclaimed experts who guessed wrong are trying to waffle their way out of it. And in some cases, like if you'd created a gig as a big authority on the Pac-12, there may be some well-founded anxiety about the future. I'm just glad the trigger finally got pulled. On to whatever the brave new world holds in store for us.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I can't wait to beat the hell out of Kansas at the Phog!! That first game there is gonna be insane, and the return trip to Tucson!!!!!!

Real opposing fans we will get. Texas tech is an insane fan base that gets in trouble a lot. Hilton is crazy. We are gonna be marked!! Cincy, Morgantown, Houston, and we all love those TCU fans. I'm getting excited.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:41 pm I can't wait to beat the hell out of Kansas at the Phog!! That first game there is gonna be insane, and the return trip to Tucson!!!!!!

Real opposing fans we will get. Texas tech is an insane fan base that gets in trouble a lot. Hilton is crazy. We are gonna be marked!! Cincy, Morgantown, Houston, and we all love those TCU fans. I'm getting excited.
Ya gotta walk the walk if ya talk the talk. In Montana barroom parlance: "If you wanna drink here ya gotta take a bunch, and then yer one of us, motherfucker."
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:21 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:41 pm I can't wait to beat the hell out of Kansas at the Phog!! That first game there is gonna be insane, and the return trip to Tucson!!!!!!

Ya gotta walk the walk if ya talk the talk. In Montana barroom parlance: "If you wanna drink here ya gotta take a bunch, and then yer one of us, motherfucker."
Home-and-home conference scheduling might be reduced depending on how the 16-18 team conference sets up divisions - Arizona and KU could easily be in separate groupings....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Dave

Post by Dave »

"Home-and-home conference scheduling might be reduced depending on how the 16-18 team conference sets up divisions - Arizona and KU could easily be in separate groupings...."

This is my biggest fear! It could easily happen if the Big 12 starts taking more West Coast teams. Then we end up playing in some kind of West Coast Division playing late at night.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Dave wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:25 pm "Home-and-home conference scheduling might be reduced depending on how the 16-18 team conference sets up divisions - Arizona and KU could easily be in separate groupings...."

This is my biggest fear! It could easily happen if the Big 12 starts taking more West Coast teams. Then we end up playing in some kind of West Coast Division playing late at night.
With 16-18 teams, it's impossible to play every team twice, and even split in half, very difficult to play more than a couple of teams in the other division, if you play each division opponent twice.

These "super-conferences" weren't created with any serious consideration of basketball scheduling!!! Even conference tournaments most likely won't include every team!!

― Kinky Friedman
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I know it'll be awhile before scheduling gets worked out, but I just don't see a world where Arizona and Kansas aren't playing each other in basketball every year. Those games are literally must see TV.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

AZCatGirl wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:32 pm I know it'll be awhile before scheduling gets worked out, but I just don't see a world where Arizona and Kansas aren't playing each other in basketball every year. Those games are literally must see TV.
This, and if they put it on their stupid ESPN+ streaming only, or whatever it is, they are idiots.
This big12 tourney is gonna be brutal, might get one somewhat easy game if you are a top 2 or 3 seed in the tourney. You could conceivably be 4 or 5 in the big12 and still get a 2 seed in the NCAA.

It's gonna be crazy how top-heavy this conf can be. Schedule could be incredibly unbalanced from team to team within the conf skewing perception and metrics.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:59 am
AZCatGirl wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:32 pm I know it'll be awhile before scheduling gets worked out, but I just don't see a world where Arizona and Kansas aren't playing each other in basketball every year. Those games are literally must see TV.
This, and if they put it on their stupid ESPN+ streaming only, or whatever it is, they are idiots.
This big12 tourney is gonna be brutal, might get one somewhat easy game if you are a top 2 or 3 seed in the tourney. You could conceivably be 4 or 5 in the big12 and still get a 2 seed in the NCAA.

It's gonna be crazy how top-heavy this conf can be. Schedule could be incredibly unbalanced from team to team within the conf skewing perception and metrics.
If the Big 12 uses a pod system it is likely UA gets paired with ASU, BYU, and Utah. It would be, by far, the weakest pod in the conference for basketball. So you are right, the schedule will likely be skewed.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Catintheheat wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:41 am
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:59 am

If the Big 12 uses a pod system it is likely UA gets paired with ASU, BYU, and Utah. It would be, by far, the weakest pod in the conference for basketball. So you are right, the schedule will likely be skewed.
I don't think any conference uses pods for basketball

ACC has two protected rivals for every team so if you want to call it a pod I guess you can
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I know this will not be a popular opinion on the board but I, for one, will miss the P12 network.

I haven't had any issues with it since its part of my cable package.

I will no longer be able to watch the PAC12 in 60 football reruns........I have rewatched the UA-asu game at least 5 times this month for some reason which I can't fathom.

I will also miss the offseason reruns of all of the UA football wins from the previous season, the P12 basketball tournament reruns, and the PAC12 Classic reruns such as the 92 win over UDUB (Leap at the Lake), the 86 bludgeoning of the scum in football, and the 97 run to the NCAA title.

And lets not forget the minor sports: We won't be seeing very many UA womens basketball games/softball games or UA mens baseball games going forward.

There has definitely been an advantage to having ones own conference network.

It appears that if want full access to all BIG12 games we will end up having to pay for ESPN+ streaming.
Last edited by dmjcat on Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Hey, i don't mind it, I just subscribe to sling for 5 months and then done, the games that are hard for me to watch are the ones on Fox, CBS, etc. I got peacock for the Purdue game, and had to go to camp for the MSU game and the FAU game. Can get fox there. Most of our games are pac12 and ESPN so sling works great. YouTube TV is pricy and doesn't have pac 12 or I'd get that but not both.
Wish a digital tv signal was strong enough to get to Big bay. Frickin government!!
-Norlander.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Because of the issues during the telecast last night, they didn’t reair the game. they reaired a different game in the same time slot :roll:
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I heard Disney, Fox and someone else are talking about a new, combined streaming service. I’m guessing a lot of Big 12 games would be there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:49 pm I heard Disney, Fox and someone else are talking about a new, combined streaming service. I’m guessing a lot of Big 12 games would be there.
https://www.wsj.com/business/media/fox- ... e-c9836792

ESPN, Fox Corp. FOX and Warner Bros. Discovery are teaming up to create a supersize sports-streaming service that will offer content from all major leagues, a deal that will reshape the sports and media landscape.

The as-yet-unnamed service will be offered directly to consumers, who would be able to stream all of these companies’ sports content, the companies said in a statement, following a report in The Wall Street Journal about the new venture.

Each of the companies will have one-third ownership of the new service, which is expected to launch in the fall. The companies didn’t announce pricing.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:49 pm I heard Disney, Fox and someone else are talking about a new, combined streaming service. I’m guessing a lot of Big 12 games would be there.
Every day it seems the Apple deal seems to have been better and better

Oh well