Thee Pac2 Network

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Thee Pac4 Network

Post by Merkin »

TheCatInTheHat

Pac Media Demise

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

The old rule of thumb in media was that you had to move to improve. But, people put down roots (spouse has a good job, kids in school, etc.) So there's a whole group of people who've been able to make a living doing video, print, and digital media on a Pac-wide basis. But, everything's got a life cycle, and the gig is up. Personally, I think some of them got to enjoy a little nicer lifestyle than the caliber of their talents actually earned, so I'm not too torn up over it, but I'm sure it's rough on their families.

Meanwhile, I think it's interesting that, with the B1G based in Chicago, the Big XII in Dallas, and the ACC in Charlotte, Wilner's changed his focus. If he portrays himself (excuse me, I mean the extensive research staff at The Hotline) as the all-knowing Carnac of back-room deals, corporate finance, and media rights negotiations, well...he's in San Jose, and there are plenty of better-connected people at the various league headquarters. So, in the interest of keeping his syndicated column somewhat relevant, he is suddenly paying attention to teams in the WCC, MWC, etc. Previously they were beneath him, but since adding some of them is pretty much the hope for the Pac-2, and Stanford and Cal may eventually crawl back, that's where he's now at. He can be the expert of that eventual merger.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

In an Arizona hotel room at the moment. Can't even watch the Coug-Tree game on Pac-12 network because it's showing encore women's gymnastics. Thanks to Fishclamps I fucking forgot how fucking fucked up this fucking fuckshow is.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:55 pm In an Arizona hotel room at the moment. Can't even watch the Coug-Tree game on Pac-12 network because it's showing encore women's gymnastics. Thanks to Fishclamps I fucking forgot how fucking fucked up this fucking fuckshow is.
We're on fs1 tonight
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:17 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:55 pm In an Arizona hotel room at the moment. Can't even watch the Coug-Tree game on Pac-12 network because it's showing encore women's gymnastics. Thanks to Fishclamps I fucking forgot how fucking fucked up this fucking fuckshow is.
We're on fs1 tonight
I know, but I had actually forgotten about the insanely stoopid regional aspect of Pac-12 network forcing viewers to subscribe to a gazillion sub categories just to cover the league.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Cool cool cool… but why?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:54 pm Cool cool cool… but why?
If you don't want to watch a replay of Oregon St vs Wash St Volleyball from 2019 you are not a real fan of Pac sports
AZCatGirl

Re: Thee Pac2 Network

Post by AZCatGirl »

I assume they'll close all the affiliate networks and just run the main one for... reasons?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I guess if they hope to regrow the conference they want to have a network where nobody can watch.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

So right now u of a women are playing USC (7).
Pac Net LA has game on.
Pac AZ has UCLA AZ football and Pac 12 has ORe-Furd women’s repeat.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:17 pm So right now u of a women are playing USC (7).
Pac Net LA has game on.
Pac AZ has UCLA AZ football and Pac 12 has ORe-Furd women’s repeat.
Because AZ carries the ASU women at 7 for some asinine reason, and regular Pac 12 has the Stanford and Utah men at 7.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Some of that amazing exposure in the West …
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Chicat wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:16 pm Some of that amazing exposure in the West …
They don't have FS1 either. So the only game of the tournament you can watch in the hotel is the championship game.

But I'm sure that Apple deal totally would've solved everything!
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

No matter the result, I’ll shed no tears today as the clock goes to zeros. It’ll be the last time UofA Basketball ever plays on that godforsaken network.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fuck Scott and the PAC presidents who supported him, especially ASU's Crow. Scott and George K could not have done this on their own.

Was it all that long ago Texas and Oklahoma were candidates for the PAC?

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PAC-12 Network was amazing

Thank you for everything PAC-12

The distribution sucked which was all on Larry Scott. Everything else about the Network was A+
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

The network was amazing? Wtf weirdo...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAdevil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:18 am The network was amazing? Wtf weirdo...
I think Machina forgot he wasn't using his Captain Obvious account.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:45 am
Postmaster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:49 pm I heard Disney, Fox and someone else are talking about a new, combined streaming service. I’m guessing a lot of Big 12 games would be there.
Every day it seems the Apple deal seems to have been better and better

Oh well
I don't know how you can say that. People are not going to subscribe to Apple+ so they can watch Pac-12 sports, if they aren't associated with the Pac-12. It would put Arizona basketball into obscurity, because UA won't be on a national stage. UA would become isolated. I don't understand why anyone would think that the Apple+ contract would have been a good deal.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:54 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:16 pm Some of that amazing exposure in the West …
They don't have FS1 either. So the only game of the tournament you can watch in the hotel is the championship game.

But I'm sure that Apple deal totally would've solved everything!
That irony is amazingly appropriate. They have it at the MGM Grand, so kind of surprised that's not consistent at all MGM properties, but whatever. Never cared for P12N. Production values were okay, but (other than our favorite alums) panel discussions were lame and decisions on programming were often based on issues other than giving viewers what they want, which the B1G, SEC, and ACC all do better. I'll pull the plug right after our spring football game...unless they fall apart earlier. As to the other nostalgic issue, the good news is that Vegas will continue to be here and can be visited as often as anybody desires. Time for some fresh blood, fresh surroundings, and fresh approaches.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:23 am
UAdevil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:18 am The network was amazing? Wtf weirdo...
I think Machina forgot he wasn't using his Captain Obvious account.
There should be some punishment for suggesting or saying someone is a sock when they aren't

Regardless please tell me what wasn't great about the PAC-12 Network besides distribution

Studio shows were good
Good announcers
Good picture quality
Originally programming was solid
Elevated many sports
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

All the bars have it here and I got it in my room
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:44 am :lol: :lol: :lol:
LeBron James
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:00 am PAC-12 Network was amazing

Thank you for everything PAC-12

The distribution sucked which was all on Larry Scott. Everything else about the Network was A+
#LoserNetwork

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:47 am
LeBron James
Keep destroying every thread with your loser talk.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/l ... -right-now

"He could play for us right now," James said following his team's 127-113 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies Friday. "Easy. EASY."
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:22 am
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:47 am
LeBron James
Keep destroying every thread with your loser talk.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/l ... -right-now

"He could play for us right now," James said following his team's 127-113 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies Friday. "Easy. EASY."
If Bronny isn't in the Lakers lineup next year LeBron is moving to the Big12.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I'll tell you what wasn't great about the network, when our game cut out with 6 min left in the 2nd half this season cause their offices caught on fire or some shit and no one in the country got to see the end of the game.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Fish is a bad fan for not being at the game. Complaining about the 6 minute blackout is loser talk.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

The studio shows weren't worth much post-Nieuheisel, the announcers were often biased and mediocre at best (Ted Robinson, etc.), and they goose-stepped to whatever the uninformed-naive-idiot league presidents thought might be nice, rather than inform them what was needed to draw eyeballs. And for what was spent, there was a horrible ROI. From an insider's perspective, they'd hire local cameramen for events. Then those poor slobs got to hear in their headsets some loser unibrow director remotely from San Francisco carry on a running narrative about how much their local area sucks while occasionally trying to bother to do his job. Then, go figure...they had a problem finding cameramen. Real professional outfit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m going to miss searching to see whether our women’s game would be aired only to realize that instead of broadcasting it they were replaying a WSU gymnastics match that happened the week before.

Just a quality organization through and through.
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:44 am There should be some punishment for suggesting or saying someone is a sock when they aren't
:lol:

First we need to come up with your punishment for being a twatwaffle in every thread.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Is Machina now trying to be a parody of himself?

This is getting way too weird even for him
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Cancelling right after the game tonight.

(I’m assuming the Finals will be on another channel)
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:38 pm Cancelling right after the game tonight.

The finals will be on Fox, so easy for everyone to watch.

This tweet sums up my thoughts:
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:38 pm Cancelling right after the game tonight.

Fox

https://pac-12.com/mens-basketball/tournament-2024
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Glad to be done with this garbage network - FU Larry Scott!
Unbelievable they couldn't get a distribution deal with DTV done in the 10+ years.
Goodbye to having to watch all our games on there with sub-par audio/video on the Pac-12 app
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PAC-12 Network can't even beat out golf prematch coverage. Even the CW gets a nod.

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Ashley Adamson just signed off for the final time on the network. She chose to use her last 30 seconds to bring a lot of behind the scenes people on screen so they can be acknowledged for their work. While (most) of us agree the network was awful, I always liked Ashley, and hopefully she and everyone else that just lost their jobs can find more work.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I thought they were keeping the network around.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:55 pm I thought they were keeping the network around.
Well Ashley Adamson said this was the last broadcast she is assigned to do, and "there's lots of uncertainty about what's going to happen", so whatever the network will look like sounds like it'll just be a skeleton crew running things. Or maybe they have no idea what it'll look like? Either way I got the feeling a lot more people are going to be let go.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I hate seeing people lose jobs.
It’s too bad Scott was ever hired.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Here's some videos of the end of the broadcast.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Due to that stupid network and a commissioner who thought he was a tech CEO, we no longer have a conference.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:03 pm PAC-12 Network can't even beat out golf prematch coverage. Even the CW gets a nod.

What game on March 10th was there?

Oh yeah. None
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have had the channel from its Initial broadcast. To say I won’t miss it would not be truthful. I do think their production quality was mostly good. Their programming, not so much. Tomorrow the channel is gone from my menu and that is kind of sad for me. Just another chapter closing in my life and not many chapters left
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

No one wants to watch baseball and softball?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Not particularly.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Absolutely not
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:06 am No one wants to watch baseball and softball?
Those aren't well ran programs. Hard pass.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I don’t get made that we are headed to the B12 but I do get mad thinking what Larry Scott and the school presidents did to get us to this point.

Sad to see those guys and gals sign off and so hope they find a way to have gainful employment.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion