Sweet 16 Xavier discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Gilbertcat

Re: Sweet 16 Xavier discussion thread

Post by Gilbertcat »

Its a distraction in any case. The media day shifts from Miller and how do you beat the cats to why is the kid playing and what did he do?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

HiCat wrote:Haven't seen Xavier play. How deep is their bench...how many guys do they play.
Over the last 3-4 games they have 7-8 guys getting double digit minutes, but 8-10 guys see the floor each game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

No stars. Scoring spread throughout the roster. Myles Davis likes to improvise.
Right where I want to be.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Posted this in the other Xavier thread, but probably better here:

I watched the Xavier - Providence game from late Feb. last night. Xavier's got some talent, but they played a little out of control, at least in that game. Lots of turnovers from lazy passes. TJ and Stanley could have a feast if they play that way against us.

That being said, it was just one game, and despite the TO's and otherwise sloppy play, Xavier was the better team for 80% of the game. X's point guard, Dee Davis, is pretty good at 6 apg with > 2:1 A:TO, so maybe the sloppiness was uncharacteristic.

Xavier's got some good bigs between Boobs Stainbrook and Blackeye Reynolds. Stainbrook doesn't do a lot from more than about six feet out, but he establiushes position inside six feet a lot. Nova's undersized compared to UA, but Stainbrook is crafty, and I'm sure he'll be able to do the same occasionally against us. Reynolds is a really good looking player. He's averaging 10 and six, but from watching that one game I'd have thought he was a 20-10 guy. Big, muscular, and quick with some nice moves around the rim as well. Hard to tell from Nova is he's any good defensively.

I didn't really focus on Bluiett, but he's obviously a threat.

Speaking of defense, Xavier was shifting between man and zone that night. I don't know why you would choose to zone a team like Nova, but it seemed to work. I noticed Nova's shooters getting more free when X was in man coverage, so maybe X was playing a zone scheme I'm not familiar with. No expert here. I think we should expect X to be in mostly zone against us because that's what the textbook says to do and because they're comfortable playing it.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Nice observations, Puerco. I watched and re-watched the Big East tourney championship game against Villanova.

Xavier is just a better team than Ohio State and poses more of a challenge for Arizona. You'll hear about Xavier's size, but everyone will want to watch for Stainbrook in particular. He's really big and really good. A strong, immovable presence with good hands, and a really good passer. Then again, his legs are about three inches long and are incapable of propelling his large frame to wherever it needs to be on the court. He's always the last man back on defense, leaving 4 on 5 scoring opportunities. If Arizona gets out in transition and the game gets too fast, he'll have to sit.

Xavier will start in a man-to-man but then quickly switch to a 1-3-1 to make up for Stainbrook's inability to move on defense. I think TJ would have trouble penetrating and finding his open pull-up jumper and have trouble locating Rondae at the top of the paint, but doing so is pointless in any case because the 1-3-1 completely opens up the wing for uncontested 3-pointers by Stanley, York, and Pitts. Unless all three go completely cold, Xavier will have to bench Stainbrook and go small with man-to-man, in which case Arizona gains its size advantage and can wear Xavier down.

Also in the 1-3-1, Tarc and Ashley can shoot mid-range jumpers all day long. This is an advantage Arizona doesn't have in a 2-3 zone, which bothered Tarc and Ashley against Ohio State. If Stanley, York, Pitts, Ashley, and Tarc are all just inexplicably ice cold and Xavier can stick with Stainbrook in the 1-3-1, then Arizona has to try to win with harassing defense to speed up the game and open things up in transition.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

A center who can't run in transition is a nice opportunity for Zeus. Zeus can run.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've seen Stainbrook compared to Karnowski, and that's a good comparison in terms of size, strength, and soft touch, but Stainbrook is a bit more like a 6'10" Barney Rubble. He even does that thing when Barney Rubble runs, where his short little legs have to run in place with that thumping sound for about three seconds before he can get moving. Not quick.

But he can box out and grab boards, and he really does catch that entry pass into the block, and which point he posts up his man and banks in a bunny and/or draws the foul. His rebounding can potentially keep Xavier in this game if other things aren't going well for Arizona.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Haven't seen these guys play at all this year which makes me a little uneasy, thanks for the observations guys.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Jason Scheer and 97Cats (who does most of the talking) have an outstanding podcast on Arizona heading into the sweet 16.

Biggest surprise in the podcast - Coach Miller got Thad Motta to agree to do some scouting for this next week (or two).

My expectations for this week were high before listening to the podcast, now my expectations are so high they are approaching Sean Miller's ceiling.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What? Matta scouting his conference affiliate? That won't go over well with Wisconsin should they beat NC
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck the Badgers. Love the Miller Matta couch surfing friendship.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Matta and Sean Miller both used to work for Herb Sendek. Herbie has plenty of time now to help with scouting.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cpt

Post by cpt »

Here's my analysis: The Big East sucked this year. Really sucked. Villanova was grossly overrated all year and they won the league. Xavier came in 6th. I'm as confident as I can be about a Sweet 16 game.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

CalStateTempe wrote:Fuck the Badgers. Love the Miller Matta couch surfing friendship.
Matta played North Carolina this year, probably doing the scout on them also.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So did Wisconsin get the Lakers/Clips locker room as the highest seed?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

ANGCatFan wrote:Jason Scheer and 97Cats (who does most of the talking) have an outstanding podcast on Arizona heading into the sweet 16.

Biggest surprise in the podcast - Coach Miller got Thad Motta to agree to do some scouting for this next week (or two).

My expectations for this week were high before listening to the podcast, now my expectations are so high they are approaching Sean Miller's ceiling.
This is really good. None of the "ums" and "uhs" you'd expect from amateur broadcasters.

John and Jason, bravo!

Love the point about Arizona usually not being bad at the same thing in consecutive games. so expect better shooting. Plus, John's confidence is infectious.

It is time!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

So what are we supposed to do for the next 24 hours? This is getting intolerable. I have no fancies.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:So what are we supposed to do for the next 24 hours? This is getting intolerable. I have no fancies.
Listen to the podcast over and over.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
By the way, that was awesome. I wish I could say encounters like that happen in my place of work.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Longhorned wrote:So what are we supposed to do for the next 24 hours? This is getting intolerable. I have no fancies.
Drink heavily, masturbate...the usual stuff.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

OMG great podcast:

http://s36.podbean.com/pb/fd6cc5216116b ... odcast.mp3

Now i have to figure out how to put money into an off shore acct!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Lute4God wrote:OMG great podcast:

5dimes.eu
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ecurbh

Post by ecurbh »

Wow, that was fabulous!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Nobody has said it yet?

hrm...

100-0
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That John dude is fired up.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Game Day!!!

Bear Down, Go Cats!
gumby

Post by gumby »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Nobody has said it yet?

hrm...

100-0
Must sweep.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... psets-duke
8. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson's 18 points/10 rebounds/5 assists/3 steals/2 blocks outing keys Arizona’s win against Xavier: The Chris Mack vs. Sean Miller matchup will be the headline entering this game. But Hollis-Jefferson will be the headline after the game. He won’t do it alone. He won’t have to. Look for the talented sophomore, however, to put together one of the best all-around performances of the NCAA tournament thus far as Arizona advances to the Elite Eight and a rematch with Wisconsin.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

espn on Xavier Arizona now
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Why the hell did Mack go man to man late 2nd half? The whole game my buddy who is an IU fan is wondering why we weren't attacking Stainbrook to get him into foul trouble? I kept saying Xavier is hiding him the zone all night long. Then behold, they finally switch to man to man with Stainbrook in the game and he picks up 3 quick ones. I was baffled and Arizona had the momentum from then on.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Frybry02 wrote:Why the hell did Mack go man to man late 2nd half? The whole game my buddy who is an IU fan is wondering why we weren't attacking Stainbrook to get him into foul trouble? I kept saying Xavier is hiding him the zone all night long. Then behold, they finally switch to man to man with Stainbrook in the game and he picks up 3 quick ones. I was baffled and Arizona had the momentum from then on.
Arizona began hitting the glass and i'm guessing that mack didn't want to concede any more rebounds
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So Chris Mack had a post game quote about the world seeing that they were the tougher team:

"Regardless of the outcome, regardless of the score, the only thing I wanted was people from California all the way to Florida to watch our game...and at the end of the game to say that we were the tougher team. I told our guys in the locker room, I don't know if they'd say that, but I also know that they wouldn't say Arizona was the tougher team."

Hey Chris, you are flying back to Cincinnati...as a loser. Be tough when you cry thinking about that.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

AZ was as tough as can be when it counted at the end. They were tough for a little while, good for them.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I think Mack is saying that they didn't lose because they didn't play hard and physical, that they matched our toughness. And that's probably a fair statement. That was one hell of a game. Xavier was as physical a team as we will see.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Stay classy ODogg. Mack was saying that his kids played at least as tough as Arizona. You disagree?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

zip em up, zip em up, put em in the bag.

Chris Mack Thug ball.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Puerco wrote:Stay classy ODogg. Mack was saying that his kids played at least as tough as Arizona. You disagree?
Agree with Puerco here....although Reynolds was borderline on some plays, they played hard, physical ball.....the kind of ball that those pussy Pac12 Refs don't prepare us for! I got to see the frickin' game this time (thanks to all who helped me on the VPN route) and they damned near beat us......we are blessed to have CSM make this team so mentally tough to be able to win this game on a night with some offensive woes.

Damn, I love Miller's consistency here with the NCAA's......Also, I have huge respect for Xavier after tonight and damned happy to survive and advance. We better improve our play of we want to beat Wiscy though......they are frickin' good. However, I believe we will Bear Down and win this time!

Enjoy the ride folks........
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Whew..what a game. Cats showed a lot of toughness in the end. Bring on Wisconsin ..been waiting a long time for this one. Rock n roll baby.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote:So Chris Mack had a post game quote about the world seeing that they were the tougher team:

"Regardless of the outcome, regardless of the score, the only thing I wanted was people from California all the way to Florida to watch our game...and at the end of the game to say that we were the tougher team. I told our guys in the locker room, I don't know if they'd say that, but I also know that they wouldn't say Arizona was the tougher team."

Hey Chris, you are flying back to Cincinnati...as a loser. Be tough when you cry thinking about that.

X was definitely tough, but the thug play of Reynolds sure put a damper on that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

thenewazcats wrote:I think Mack is saying that they didn't lose because they didn't play hard and physical, that they matched our toughness. And that's probably a fair statement. That was one hell of a game. Xavier was as physical a team as we will see.
Exactly. Season is over. Proud of his team.

But nobody battles harder than O-dogg. Game over, and he's still fighting. Probably pissed with post-game handshakes, too.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

gumby wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:I think Mack is saying that they didn't lose because they didn't play hard and physical, that they matched our toughness. And that's probably a fair statement. That was one hell of a game. Xavier was as physical a team as we will see.

But nobody battles harder than O-dogg. Game over, and he's still fighting. Probably pissed with post-game handshakes, too.
:lol:
gumby

Post by gumby »

CalStateTempe wrote:zip em up, zip em up, put em in the bag.

Chris Mack Thug ball.
Finally play a team with Miller-like toughness and ... thug ball! From whom do you suppose Mack learned how to instill toughness?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jalen Reynolds = Thug

On and off the court.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:zip em up, zip em up, put em in the bag.

Chris Mack Thug ball.
Finally play a team with Miller-like toughness and ... thug ball! From whom do you suppose Mack learned how to instill toughness?
Nastiness is required.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:

How dare I post a quote and a comment. Shoulda included a fantastic pun.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong