Being an Obsessed Arizona Fan

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Being an Obsessed Arizona Fan

Post by Alieberman »

Do people in your every day life understand your unhealthy obsession with Wildcat basketball?
Do you hide from your friends and family the amount of actual time checking in on this and other message boards, etc?
Did you wish TJ a happy birthday on Twitter but you have no idea when your best friends birthdays are?
Do you have dreams about past or future games?

Do I need professional help?
Main Event

Re: Being an Obsessed Arizona Fan

Post by Main Event »

Very guilty of point number 4 especially
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

You're perfectly fine, nothing wrong with you.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I've had plenty of dream about future games. I've even had dreams that I was on the team and me and Derrick Williams were friends (back in 2011 - i was still in school). It is pretty unhealthy. Watched the game with casual fans yesterday and they kept trying to tell me it's just a game. I hate it when people say that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cats101 wrote:I've had plenty of dream about future games. I've even had dreams that I was on the team and me and Derrick Williams were friends (back in 2011 - i was still in school). It is pretty unhealthy. Watched the game with casual fans yesterday and they kept trying to tell me it's just a game. I hate it when people say that.
Scream out, "Oh yeah? Well this is just an eating utensil!", and then stab them in the eye with a fork. They'll get the hint pretty quickly.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The first thing people aren't going to understand is the big picture of what all of this pertains to. This isn't "fun". Amusement parks are fun. Parties are fun. Depending on whether your friends ate chili, road trips can be fun.

This is a fully involved intellectual, emotional, and literally primitive experience that centers on the deepest core of self-identity. By the time we get to the Elite Eight (and well before that), this isn't entertainment. Don't confuse us with the University of Minnesota grad who wants to enjoy a good match-up or root for some underdog in a big enactment of March Madness. We aren't "mad" with all the unexpected turns of momentum and heroic victories on final possessions. We're Arizona fans. We're literally freaking insane, okay? Do you get it? Now leave us alone because this is serious.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Do you need "Bear Down Arizona" playing in the background to become turgid?
Do you hide small Wilbur dolls from your family in various locations around the house?
What is the most dehumanizing thing you would agree to do if it guaranteed we would win a NC?
If you had a child being born at the same time as a tourney game, would you:
a. Miss the game.
b. Miss the birth.
c. Duct tape a mobile device with the game on it to your wife's inner thigh and tell the doctor he better yank that kid out during a timeout.

I don't think there are issues until you start asking these sort of questions.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

my gf of 14 months is still coming to grips with the depth of my insanity. she is finally realizing how much it ruins or makes my day when we win or lose
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Do you need "Bear Down Arizona" playing in the background to become turgid?
Do you hide small Wilbur dolls from your family in various locations around the house?
What is the most dehumanizing thing you would agree to do if it guaranteed we would win a NC?
a. Miss the game.
b. Miss the birth.
c. Duct tape a mobile device with the game on it to your wife's inner thigh and tell the doctor he better yank that kid out during a timeout.

I shaved a giant "A" in my chest hair after we won in '97. True Story.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'd get a tattoo on my forehead that says "I want Drake to Murder my Vagina".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Do you need "Bear Down Arizona" playing in the background to become turgid?
a. Miss the game.
b. Miss the birth.

I shaved a giant "A" in my chest hair after we won in '97. True Story.
I don't see that as odd at all.
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: If you had a child being born at the same time as a tourney game, would you:
a. Miss the game.
b. Miss the birth.
Trick question. I planned out when my children would be born so that it would not interfere with March Madness, the Super Bowl or the World Series. I was the best man at a wedding that was during the 1st game of the 2001 World Series. They are now divorced.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97Cats points out that Arizona has lost its last four Elite Eight games by a combined total of 7 points. Two of those were in overtime.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

we are fucking due.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have 3 kids, but only one UA NCAA championship.

Do the math.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What about telling someone at work... "So I was talking to Chicat, Longhorned and 97Cats today...."

Instead of "So I was talking to Justin, John and Jon today..."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:What about telling someone at work... "So I was talking to Chicat, Longhorned and 97Cats today...."

I recently discovered one of my coworkers is a fairly regular poster over on Scout Premium.
Sits about five cubes away. We have been on a business trip together - he's a die hard UofA fan and alum like myself.

I've been wondering if or when is the right moment to tell him, "Hey, I'm UAEebs86".
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: If you had a child being born at the same time as a tourney game, would you:
a. Miss the game.
b. Miss the birth.
Trick question. I planned out when my children would be born so that it would not interfere with March Madness, the Super Bowl or the World Series. I was the best man at a wedding that was during the 1st game of the 2001 World Series. They are now divorced.

My sister got married that same day. On a boat in Newport Harbor, with no TV. As soon as we docked for the reception, my son ran to the TV in the back of the hall, and came running back and said "the Diamondbacks are already up 4-1". I have forgiven her, and they are still married.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:What about telling someone at work... "So I was talking to Chicat, Longhorned and 97Cats today...."

I recently discovered one of my coworkers is a fairly regular poster over on Scout Premium.
Sits about five cubes away. We have been on a business trip together - he's a die hard UofA fan and alum like myself.

I've been wondering if or when is the right moment to tell him, "Hey, I'm UAEebs86".
Put it on a t-shirt and see if he notices.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Put it on a t-shirt and see if he notices.
:lol: My son got me a custom t-shirt for Christmas, red and blue with a 'Cat paw on the front and Eebs86 on the back.

I also have a shirt that says "Bear Down Wildcats", which reminds me, when are we going to have some merchandise up in here?
-JB
Viva Los Gatos

Post by Viva Los Gatos »

I have dreams of games where we lost and in the dream we win and I wake up and its just horrible.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

scumdevils86 wrote:my gf of 14 months is still coming to grips with the depth of my insanity. she is finally realizing how much it ruins or makes my day when we win or lose
Same here.

But I say you obsess of your FB timeline, celebrities and the latest fashion, which I don't get so let me be obsessed with UofA basketball.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yeah she's more than willing to let me have my crazy obsessions. she doesn't really have any of her own but she lets me be with this haha. she even knows i post on a forum and just kinda rolls her eyes. "are you doing the sports thing on the board again? well okay..."
Oilfield Cat

Post by Oilfield Cat »

Confessional from Houston:
Got home late last night from son's baseball...missed first 8 minutes of game
Get to the house and my wife (a Florida State Seminole) has an Arizona Banner hung on the front door
Walk inside and she has gone and gotten me my favorite Philly Cheese Steak which is warm and waiting
In addition she has gotten me a new 1.75L bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey that is waiting with an "A" glass full of ice and coke ready to pour
Has the game ready to roll on DVR the moment I bust through the door...where I explain that I could not wait and listed on the radio
She quickly begins the fast forward process on DVR to current point in game
Patiently watches and cheers for Az throughout...cringing each time I shout explatives from the top of my lungs during the final 8 minutes of game
When game complete and Az wins she says "not sure what all the yelling is - they always find a way to win"
I finally parlay the 2+2 and tell her thanks for hooking me up with a banner/sandwich/whiskey and along the way ask her why all the nice stuff...?

She calmly states that University of Arizona sports (football/basketball/baseball) shape her happiness via my happiness more than even her Seminoles winning anything or pretty much any other single daily event each week...

Obsessed fan = yes I am...
Great wife = absolutely she is...
does she understand the level of addiction to BEAR DOWN = No. Not even close... but 23 years later I think she is getting it more and more!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

She's a keeper OC.
-JB
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

These games are not fun...right now. Last night was work. Painful work. I tried all the tricks, then resorted to the not watching until we had a lead bit in the 2nd half...and next thing I knew, I was checking in for the 4th time and the game was down to 7 minutes left and we still didn't have a lead and I decided "I need to change things up again". So I watched it.

I haven't seen us shoot a FT since the regular season. Looked at the ground in Vegas. Pause then wait 30 seconds or so and fast forward to after the FTs for tournament games. When I watched the game at Chandler mall vs OSU, I went back to staring at the ground. It seems to be working.

We have one more game that will not be fun. Based on our Elite Eight history, and the need for revenge vs Wisconsin, unless we jump out to a 20 pt lead and put on a clinic, this game tomorrow will not be fun.

But, and I promise myself this...if we make it to the Final Four, I promise to relax and just enjoy the experience. The dragon will be slain (unless we make the FF a few years without winning a title...then there will be pressure to win it all and the games will be a grind). I would really like to experience that
Oilfield Cat

Post by Oilfield Cat »

UAEebs86 wrote:She's a keeper OC.
Way too expensive to start over now Eebs...been in this game too long...gotta be a keeper!

;-)
gumby

Post by gumby »

Alieberman wrote:Do people in your every day life understand your unhealthy obsession with Wildcat basketball?
Do you hide from your friends and family the amount of actual time checking in on this and other message boards, etc?
Did you wish TJ a happy birthday on Twitter but you have no idea when your best friends birthdays are?
Do you have dreams about past or future games?

Do I need professional help?
No. Yes. No. No. Yes.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oilfield Cat wrote:Confessional from Houston:
Get to the house and my wife (a Florida State Seminole) has an Arizona Banner hung on the front door
Walk inside and she has gone and gotten me my favorite Philly Cheese Steak which is warm and waiting
In addition she has gotten me a new 1.75L bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey that is waiting with an "A" glass full of ice and coke ready to pour
Has the game ready to roll on DVR the moment I bust through the door...where I explain that I could not wait and listed on the radio
Patiently watches and cheers for Az throughout...cringing each time I shout explatives from the top of my lungs during the final 8 minutes of game
When game complete and Az wins she says "not sure what all the yelling is - they always find a way to win"
I finally parlay the 2+2 and tell her thanks for hooking me up with a banner/sandwich/whiskey and along the way ask her why all the nice stuff...?

She calmly states that University of Arizona sports (football/basketball/baseball) shape her happiness via my happiness more than even her Seminoles winning anything or pretty much any other single daily event each week...

does she understand the level of addiction to BEAR DOWN = No. Not even close... but 23 years later I think she is getting it more and more!
Marry me! Her, not you.
Longhorned wrote:97Cats points out that Arizona has lost its last four Elite Eight games by a combined total of 7 points. Two of those were in overtime.
A truly obsessed fan already knows this, dammit!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oilfield Cat wrote:Confessional from Houston:

Wow, and I thoughtvthe cats have been impressive
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Basketball season is a long and stressful time for me. As much as I love watching the Cats, it's exhausting. Tournament time obviously is much worse. I wish I could be like the average fan and not stress and go through the emotional roller coaster every game. I tried really hard to not care so much but it doesnt work. I envy the people who can show up to work the day after a tough loss and not have their whole day ruined.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I understand that, this week more than ever. Care to know why?

Tuesday: Go to Flagstaff to finally check out what can be done about back injury and resultant pain I've been dealing with, without meds, for past 11 years. Find out, literally on the way up via text, that wife's mom got ambulanced to hospital because she couldn't breathe.

This is a woman who would pretty much do anything for her grandkids, and helped us out with dinner and cleaning so many times in last seven years.

Can't go back to be with her--I'm already there in the office as wife texts me:

"They are going to hospitalize mom she has congestive heart failure"..."Just waiting for a room to come open at John C Lincoln so that they can transport her down"..."They are doing an ultrasound on her heart right now"..."Thinking possible open heart surgery...not letting her eat or drink"..."This is so draining"..."Mom made me power of medical attorney if something happens, not feeling great about that. Just really scared"..."Trying to keep it together. Daughter was throwing grandma kisses all the way down the hall. Mom started crying...She told mom to get up and run outta those doors...She gets Gma is sick but doesn't know why"..."Tried looking online and most info is really clinical and not positive. I stopped looking."

We still don't really know what in God's name is wrong, but doctors think it's either a tumor or cyst closing off her heart, pressing against her esophagus and constricting both. Medicare won't cover any in-patient tests.

As for me, I found out I have Bertolotti's Syndrome, somehow completely undiagnosed in me for 40 years even though it was apparently congenital, and I need injections in my sacroiliac joint.

Yet, still, I CAN'T be there with my wife because I had to take care of my son and mother-in-law's two dogs (one of whom, Toby, needed two insulin shots a day plus two other meds).

Well, it's just one dog now.....

Today: Come home with my son after picking him up at school from overnight trip to the Phoenix Zoo. He comes into the garage 30 seconds later, wide-eyed.

"Dad, Toby's not moving. Or breathing."

Sure enough, I open our back door to find the 13-year-old Schnauser who was all but the last connection I had to my mom's father, who passed away right before we got married five-and-a-half years ago--just a super dog who loved everyone and was mother-in-law's only everyday companion since father passed--is lying stiff next to his food bowl, bowels evacuated.

I keep it together just long enough to tell my son to take his overnight back up to his room and play, telling him I'm going to take Toby back to grandma's house, before running outside and completely losing my shit. Vet was closed, but eventually I get a vet tech back to the office, I take the still-warm body of Toby in, she confirms his death, I pay another $f*cking-126 for the cremation.

Son still can't sleep. Says he's "afraid of something, but don't know what." Short of holding a 10-year-old boy all night, not sure what else to do.

Oh yeah, did I also mention that a house I've been trying to sell for two f*cking years got trashed by the renters living in it--one of whom works with my wife--and that wife may not have a job come Monday because she doesn't qualify for family medical leave in spite of her 10-year loyalty?

So yeah, Arizona better f*cking win tomorrow. I've had more than enough sh*t to deal with this week without another Kaleb Tarczewski spoon-hands moment, another Rondae Hollis-Jefferson injury, another Stanley Johnson brain fart on defense, another bogus foul on Brandon Ashley or another 1-for-9 night from Gabe York.

Those aren't problems. Not remotely.
VoltronX

Post by VoltronX »

Chicat wrote:What is the most dehumanizing thing you would agree to do if it guaranteed we would win a NC?

I'd get a tattoo on my forehead that says "I want Drake to Murder my Vagina".
No one should ever question your devotion to this team. Ever.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Sorry to hear about that catgrad. Hope all works out for you and your family
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

You know, I think it will, rgdeuce. I believe truly we are on the eve of something wonderful about to happen. Something epic.

While it may not be an Ivan Rabb commitment, it'll be even better. Bump this in 10 days' time.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Good luck with all the crap, cg. I hated to read that story. Very painful.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Man CG... that's a lot to deal with. All the best to you and your family.

Cats owe you this one!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Just kick Bucky's ass, is all I ask.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Roger on all of that, CG. Thoughts and prayers.

Is it permissible for fans to dedicate victories to other fans? I'm not saying Arizona will win. But just in case.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

catgrad97 wrote:I understand that, this week more than ever. Care to know why?

Tuesday: Go to Flagstaff to finally check out what can be done about back injury and resultant pain I've been dealing with, without meds, for past 11 years. Find out, literally on the way up via text, that wife's mom got ambulanced to hospital because she couldn't breathe.

This is a woman who would pretty much do anything for her grandkids, and helped us out with dinner and cleaning so many times in last seven years.

Can't go back to be with her--I'm already there in the office as wife texts me:

"They are going to hospitalize mom she has congestive heart failure"..."Just waiting for a room to come open at John C Lincoln so that they can transport her down"..."They are doing an ultrasound on her heart right now"..."Thinking possible open heart surgery...not letting her eat or drink"..."This is so draining"..."Mom made me power of medical attorney if something happens, not feeling great about that. Just really scared"..."Trying to keep it together. Daughter was throwing grandma kisses all the way down the hall. Mom started crying...She told mom to get up and run outta those doors...She gets Gma is sick but doesn't know why"..."Tried looking online and most info is really clinical and not positive. I stopped looking."

We still don't really know what in God's name is wrong, but doctors think it's either a tumor or cyst closing off her heart, pressing against her esophagus and constricting both. Medicare won't cover any in-patient tests.

As for me, I found out I have Bertolotti's Syndrome, somehow completely undiagnosed in me for 40 years even though it was apparently congenital, and I need injections in my sacroiliac joint.

Yet, still, I CAN'T be there with my wife because I had to take care of my son and mother-in-law's two dogs (one of whom, Toby, needed two insulin shots a day plus two other meds).

Well, it's just one dog now.....

Today: Come home with my son after picking him up at school from overnight trip to the Phoenix Zoo. He comes into the garage 30 seconds later, wide-eyed.

"Dad, Toby's not moving. Or breathing."

Sure enough, I open our back door to find the 13-year-old Schnauser who was all but the last connection I had to my mom's father, who passed away right before we got married five-and-a-half years ago--just a super dog who loved everyone and was mother-in-law's only everyday companion since father passed--is lying stiff next to his food bowl, bowels evacuated.

I keep it together just long enough to tell my son to take his overnight back up to his room and play, telling him I'm going to take Toby back to grandma's house, before running outside and completely losing my shit. Vet was closed, but eventually I get a vet tech back to the office, I take the still-warm body of Toby in, she confirms his death, I pay another $f*cking-126 for the cremation.

Son still can't sleep. Says he's "afraid of something, but don't know what." Short of holding a 10-year-old boy all night, not sure what else to do.

Oh yeah, did I also mention that a house I've been trying to sell for two f*cking years got trashed by the renters living in it--one of whom works with my wife--and that wife may not have a job come Monday because she doesn't qualify for family medical leave in spite of her 10-year loyalty?

So yeah, Arizona better f*cking win tomorrow. I've had more than enough sh*t to deal with this week without another Kaleb Tarczewski spoon-hands moment, another Rondae Hollis-Jefferson injury, another Stanley Johnson brain fart on defense, another bogus foul on Brandon Ashley or another 1-for-9 night from Gabe York.

Those aren't problems. Not remotely.

Damn CG...hang in there, keep swinging. (easy for me to say) But things will change for the the better.

Bertolotti's Syndrome
Don't want to ask too much about this, but sounds like pain. Have you thought about acupuncture treatment? I can give you a name to consider.

Btw
It's game day...so keep smiling. ;)
ecurbh

Post by ecurbh »

During Thursday's game, I was so tense I was watching in a numb stupor, without any vocalizations at all. My wife had to ask "You're so quiet. Are you OK?". No, not really. I just want to get the final four so bad it hurts.

I am soooo nervous about the game, but this morning I have to take the final exam for our correspondence real estate licensing course, so that will give me something to focus my attention on until game time. BTFD
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

:lol:

and i spend more time with you guys than anyone else except for when I'm at work...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Damn, George. That is a bad, horrible, no good day. Best of luck.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

EVCat wrote:These games are not fun...right now. Last night was work. Painful work. I tried all the tricks, then resorted to the not watching until we had a lead bit in the 2nd half...and next thing I knew, I was checking in for the 4th time and the game was down to 7 minutes left and we still didn't have a lead and I decided "I need to change things up again". So I watched it.

I haven't seen us shoot a FT since the regular season. Looked at the ground in Vegas. Pause then wait 30 seconds or so and fast forward to after the FTs for tournament games. When I watched the game at Chandler mall vs OSU, I went back to staring at the ground. It seems to be working.

We have one more game that will not be fun. Based on our Elite Eight history, and the need for revenge vs Wisconsin, unless we jump out to a 20 pt lead and put on a clinic, this game tomorrow will not be fun.

But, and I promise myself this...if we make it to the Final Four, I promise to relax and just enjoy the experience. The dragon will be slain (unless we make the FF a few years without winning a title...then there will be pressure to win it all and the games will be a grind). I would really like to experience that
This sums it up perfectly for me. I literally got up to leave the game and listen in my car at the parking lot outside Staples Center. Then we finally got ahead and i stayed.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CBCat wrote: This sums it up perfectly for me. I literally got up to leave the game and listen in my car at the parking lot outside Staples Center. Then we finally got ahead and i stayed.
Wait... you were at the game.... at Staples... and actually got up and left for a while because of your Cats craziness?

Wow... That's an impressive amount of neurotic obsession.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I've left a televised game for the car radio, but not one in person. That's impressive.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CBcat takes the crown in this one so far.

The cat run under the TV entertainment system when were we down against OSU in the first and stayed the rest of the game.

I put cat under the TV entertainment system at the start of the xavier game and wouldn't let him out till after. (granted he probably didn't want to come out the way I was pacing the floors, lol).

Some protocol in place for this evening. :)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If anybody is interested, I'm passing on this contract offer. I'm signing one myself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONTRACT

As the undersigned, I acknowledge that the observation that Wisconsin's slow-down, limited-possessions offense does not enable them to come back from behind, is in fact untrue. In the event that Arizona is fortunate enough to gain a lead in today's game, I am prepared to watch Wisconsin string together a sequence of possessions culminating in successful 3-point shots and "and-one!" opportunities. When this inevitably occurs, I will not deflate my soul and lose my shit. Instead, I will lean toward the screen and whisper, "I've been waiting for you. This is part of the script. Bear Down. We're coming after you, Wisconsin."

X______________________________________ DATE________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

My wife gets it, bless her. She's a fan.

My best friend doesn't. I tell him: "It's not a good life."
Salty

Post by Salty »

I am fucking stressed

I have paced around all day