UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by Merkin »

Not sure Allen could handle all those minutes. Didn't his legs cramp up in OT, hence needing York and PJC out there to finish the game?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Trier was taking a ton of shots, so with him out, I'm guessing those shots go mainly to York and Allen.

Really need Anderson to come up big this week.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Main Event wrote:#FreeSimon
Seconded!
Live with the growing pains.
It paid off with Zo.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'd like to go on record saying my previous argument about hating not redshirting Simon/Comanche is null and void. My opinion is forever changed due to our ridiculous year of injuries.
One more time!!!
Simon and Chance could have taken their red shirts and donned game jerseys the instant they were needed. Lute did it with Joe McClain. I can't believe that the piddly garbage time they received made them significantly more ready for games.

I love 5th year seniors. Anyone else who feels the same way, please raise your hand.

Of course, we can not afford a red shirt this year, but there will never be one if potential red shirts see a meaningless minute in an OOC game against a cupcake.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I'd like to go on record saying my previous argument about hating not redshirting Simon/Comanche is null and void. My opinion is forever changed due to our ridiculous year of injuries.
One more time!!!
Simon and Chance could have taken their red shirts and donned game jerseys the instant they were needed. Lute did it with Joe McClain. I can't believe that the piddly garbage time they received made them significantly more ready for games.

I love 5th year seniors. Anyone else who feels the same way, please raise your hand.

Of course, we can not afford a red shirt this year, but there will never be one if potential red shirts see a meaningless minute in an OOC game against a cupcake.
Gotta disagree with you on this one Dave. You really believe that the minutes that Justin and Chance have received, UP TO THIS POINT in the season, are meaningless?

None of the contributions they have made have come during important moments in the game? They have only been playing during blowouts?

If those things were the case then yes, the minutes mean very little however that's just not how it's been
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:
One more time!!!

Gotta disagree with you on this one Dave. You really believe that the minutes that Justin and Chance have received, UP TO THIS POINT in the season, are meaningless?

None of the contributions they have made have come during important moments in the game? They have only been playing during blowouts?

If those things were the case then yes, the minutes mean very little however that's just not how it's been
Do you really think that what they have done for the team this year is greater than what they could do as 5th year seniors? It is a moot point now because every available able body is obviously needed.
I forget the details, but when i saw skinny Chance get a minute or two to ruin his red shirt year, I actually cringed. I wanted him to go many more Rounds with Chris before playing a game that counted.
Last edited by DiehardDave37 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:Trier was taking a ton of shots, so with him out, I'm guessing those shots go mainly to York and Allen.

Shots should be going to Zeus and Ristic in my opinion. Gabe is going to have to be a little more assertive at times (for good and bad). How I see it
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:
One more time!!!

Do you really think that what they have done for the team this year is greater than what they could do as 5th year seniors?
You don't play for the 5th year, you play for now. if we didn't have Comanche when Zeus was out and we didnt have Simon while Trier is out, we would be hurting.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Trier was taking a ton of shots, so with him out, I'm guessing those shots go mainly to York and Allen.

Shots should be going to Zeus and Ristic in my opinion. Gabe is going to have to be a little more assertive at times (for good and bad). How I see it
I thought the last play in the 4th OT should have gone low post. Ristic, even though he was off the floor was unstoppable. Not sure why the last play was to have York, with only middling handles, bring the ball down court then pass it to Trier with broken hand for the final shot.

In retrospect, Trier probably wishes he would have taken himself out.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The ball will flow through Gabe, for better or for worse.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

My view is that you replace Trier's offense with defense. We can't get that kind of firepower from anyone else, but we can get better defense.

UCLA and USC are precisely the kind of teams that are a matchup problem for us. Three perimeter threats who can drive it or shoot it. The good news is that we only play them once more each.

Cal is another possible matchup problem for the same reason.

Think we match up better with the rest of teams, although Andrews, Murray and Crisp could be troublesome. However, two of them are freshmen.

Allen is the best perimeter defender. York and Trier have struggled. So, Simon and Pitts there would be my choice, with the hope that Simon learns fast, because he has the quicks, hops and length to be a good defender. Pitts needs to take his open jumpers. Simon needs to pick his spots, but should mostly defer offensively.

I suppose Parker could start, but he is a defensive liability. On he other hand, Kadeem could play off the ball and be more of a scorer.

Be interesting to see how this goes. I say start the best defensive option at the 3, and redistribute the shots.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:My view is that you replace Trier's offense with defense. We can't get that kind of firepower from anyone else, but we can get better defense.

UCLA and USC are precisely the kind of teams that are a matchup problem for us. Three perimeter threats who can drive it or shoot it. The good news is that we only play them once more each.

Cal is another possible matchup problem for the same reason.

Think we match up better with the rest of teams, although Andrews, Murray and Crisp could be troublesome. However, two of them are freshmen.

Allen is the best perimeter defender. York and Trier have struggled. So, Simon and Pitts there would be my choice, with the hope that Simon learns fast, because he has the quicks, hops and length to be a good defender. Pitts needs to take his open jumpers. Simon needs to pick his spots, but should mostly defer offensively.

I suppose Parker could start, but he is a defensive liability. On he other hand, Kadeem could play off the ball and be more of a scorer.

Be interesting to see how this goes. I say start the best defensive option at the 3, and redistribute the shots.
Replacing offense with defense, I could not agree more with that. We do not need to keep outscoring people, we need to defend better and then score more points than that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Irish27 wrote:We will see a different team this Thursday as #24 should be back.
So you think Miller is sand-bagging here?

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... &id=201408" target="_blank
Doesn’t sound like Miller is counting on Pitts anytime soon, either. Pitts still remains out with his “personal issue.”

“I wish I could comment more,” Miller said. “He’s someone we miss a great deal and a terrific kid but his situation has not changed.”
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:
We went from potentially 12 deep in preseason to this. What did we do, Lord?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As much as I still think we can finish strong in the Pac and get to the Sweet Sixteen, is it bad that I'm already thinking about this:

KA
AT
RS
JJ
DR
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:

Doesn’t sound like Miller is counting on Pitts anytime soon, either. Pitts still remains out with his “personal issue.”

“I wish I could comment more,” Miller said. “He’s someone we miss a great deal and a terrific kid but his situation has not changed.”

Must be according to Ace.

carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Has Pitts been practicing fully and in game shape? He's been out for a while now. Either way, I don't think his shot could be any rustier than it was before the "sabbatical."
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

gumby wrote:

Were winter session grades posted yet when that comment was made? If not, nothing has changed.
az91

Post by az91 »

gumby wrote:

Miller's comments lacked even a hint of optimism. I would be surprised if we see Pitts play again this season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:
I actually don't mind this at all. He's a senior walk-on who has practiced against some of the best players in the country for four years, and under one of the best young coaches. Let's see what the high top fade can do...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

az91 wrote:
gumby wrote:

Miller's comments lacked even a hint of optimism. I would be surprised if we see Pitts play again this season.
Not so sure about this.....since he hasn't commented other than to say it's personal and he won't comment on it further I'm not so sure we can read it one way or the other. ACE does seem to have some sources so he could be right. If his issue is resolved, and our rotation is currently in flux, why give UW a heads up that our best perimeter defender is ready to go.

CSM sandbagging??? Maybe.....I'm staying optimistic and predicting we see Pitts on the floor tomorrow......but then again, WTF do I know? Lol.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:ACE does seem to have some sources so he could be right.
you mean the same sources that guaranteed mitch lightfoot was committing to Arizona? :D
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

dirtbags wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:ACE does seem to have some sources so he could be right.
you mean the same sources that guaranteed mitch lightfoot was committing to Arizona? :D
Hey, I'm in no way defending that Dude or his legion of sycophants.....I used to like the site a few years ago for recruiting (during off-season and GoAzCats was dead) and when it seemed like he was good at predictions (during the Jerrett, Chol, Ashley, etc era) but have since lost interest.

Just saying that CSM would be wise to sandbag if Pitts has resolved his issues and if he will play vs UW.

PS. i take all 'predictions' with a grain of salt these days until they sign their LOI.....thanks to Dorsey and Leaf :-(
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Been told Pitts completed what he had to do, so now it's up to SM when he will play him. Heard he is in street clothes tonight, so I am surprised but he should be out of the doghouse.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We really needed that second half blowout vs Washington.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Two guys a lot of us have been shitting on a lot of the year had their best games all season. Tollefsen perfect from deep but more importantly, best defense all year by far. PJC double digit dimes and one turnover, better D than he has been giving us. And Justin Simon doesn't fall in that category, but he has a great game himself. I was dying on that layup where he took off from behind the arc, hung in space for two minutes, and then layed it in. I almost shit myself when I saw a zone too. Guy next to me said we threw one out earlier in the year for a few possessions but I dont remember that at all
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

rgdeuce wrote:Two guys a lot of us have been shitting on a lot of the year had their best games all season. Tollefsen perfect from deep but more importantly, best defense all year by far. PJC double digit dimes and one turnover, better D than he has been giving us. And Justin Simon doesn't fall in that category, but he has a great game himself. I was dying on that layup where he took off from behind the arc, hung in space for two minutes, and then layed it in. I almost shit myself when I saw a zone too. Guy next to me said we threw one out earlier in the year for a few possessions but I dont remember that at all
So we lose a key player to injury and the other guys step up? Unheard of!

I really hate all the stupid bitching and whining around here of all the doom and gloom fans wondering if we'll ever win another game once we hit a setback or a player has a bad game. We have a great coach and a roster full of winners.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Good win and I agree Alieberman. Sky didn't fall and we played with great urgency and intensity.

Nice against a team full of athletes. Love the numbers we are putting up offensively
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Who were the doom and gloom ones? I dodn't see much of that. A fair bit of people expecting to lose a couple or few more games and therefore maybe not win the PAC, but that seems reasonable given the injuries we've had and continue to have. But that's hardly doom and gloom unless you've got really, really high expectations.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Puerco wrote:Who were the doom and gloom ones? I dodn't see much of that. A fair bit of people expecting to lose a couple or few more games and therefore maybe not win the PAC, but that seems reasonable given the injuries we've had and continue to have. But that's hardly doom and gloom unless you've got really, really high expectations.
There were people saying our goal is to just make the NCAA, no chance of finishing in the top 3 of PAC, etc.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Who, Hater? Can't take that too seriously. He says that no matter what.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Never said the second thing, first thing is still valid. Considering what had just happened, it wasn't an extreme thing to say at all.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:Never said the second thing, first thing is still valid. Considering what had just happened, it wasn't an extreme thing to say at all.
It's funny that while I was posting the above, you were posting this in the Kobi Simmons thread:
ASUHATER! wrote:He looks really good. I'm just concerned as to why no one wants him.
You need to find some happy pills.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Is it not a valid concern that seemingly no programs want to recruit the kid?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Never said the second thing, first thing is still valid. Considering what had just happened, it wasn't an extreme thing to say at all.
If you're saying something ethereal like "everyone's goal is to make the tourney", sure. If you're saying, "now our goal is to just somehow sneak into the tournament", then that's flat out wrong when you look at how deep our league is and how many teams are slated to make the big dance. I'm fully confident we could split the rest of our games and still get in.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:Is it not a valid concern that seemingly no programs want to recruit the kid?
Where do you get this information? Seems like a lot of programs have recruited him:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ucf/basketball/ ... ons-142068
Last edited by Puerco on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Is it not a valid concern that seemingly no programs want to recruit the kid?
"No programs want to recruit the kid" is a piss poor way of phrasing it.

Kentucky recruited him hard, as did Ohio State and UNLV. Kentucky pulled two kids they liked slightly better so there's no room for him there. UNLV fired their coach, so he doesn't want to go someplace where he doesn't know who will be coaching him. tOSU seems to only have backed off since Arizona pulled ahead, probably to save face.

And there are about 300+ other D1 programs who would love to have him but know they have no shot. Do you really think that if Arizona doesn't want him that he's going to have to go play in China because no other school wants him? Your hyperbole is expected, but still astounding.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:

Kentucky recruited him hard, as did Ohio State and UNLV. Kentucky pulled two kids they liked slightly better so there's no room for him there. UNLV fired their coach, so he doesn't want to go someplace where he doesn't know who will be coaching him. tOSU seems to only have backed off since Arizona pulled ahead, probably to save face.

And there are about 300+ other D1 programs who would love to have him but know they have no shot. Do you really think that if Arizona doesn't want him that he's going to have to go play in China because no other school wants him? Your hyperbole is expected, but still astounding.
It's not hyperbole when literally no other program is recruiting him. That's what's called a fact.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

At this point I don't really fault you anymore. You are just wired a different way. I honestly feel bad for you.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:

It's not hyperbole when literally no other program is recruiting him. That's what's called a fact.
Read some of his offers in the thread with his name on it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Chicat wrote:

No other programs are recruiting Lauri Markannan either. He must really suck! :lol:
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Just hater being hater, that's all.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Alieberman wrote:

I really hate all the stupid bitching and whining around here of all the doom and gloom fans wondering if we'll ever win another game once we hit a setback or a player has a bad game. We have a great coach and a roster full of winners.
That speaks volumes. We saw how the Zeus injury actually turned into a positive, for the development of others and for him itself (so far). Now this looks like it may as well, albeit with a very small sample size. I'm usually in the stands saying "Tolly" under my breath 5, 6, 7 times a game just off defense alone, and will get one or two positive cheers in, usually on a blocked shot. I think I said that once (out of position) or twice last night, and I exclaimed "great D tolly" at least five times last night. The fans at home may have had a better view than me, but there was one particular play, the dude drove left, Tolly shuffled and stuck with the dude the whole time, hands were up, the dude had nowhere to go and stepped on the baseline.. It looked textbook, Rondae-like, and the refs called a pushing foul. I saw the replay on the big screen and it still looked textbook. I was probably the loudest person in the building at that moment, I was so mad that play, seeing how far he had come, was penalized. it was like seeing your kid finally learn to ride a bike and some asshole jumps in front to stop him. Maybe you guys can chime in and tell me there was a push. I was pretty worked up about that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

rgdeuce wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

That speaks volumes. We saw how the Zeus injury actually turned into a positive, for the development of others and for him itself (so far). Now this looks like it may as well, albeit with a very small sample size. I'm usually in the stands saying "Tolly" under my breath 5, 6, 7 times a game just off defense alone, and will get one or two positive cheers in, usually on a blocked shot. I think I said that once (out of position) or twice last night, and I exclaimed "great D tolly" at least five times last night. The fans at home may have had a better view than me, but there was one particular play, the dude drove left, Tolly shuffled and stuck with the dude the whole time, hands were up, the dude had nowhere to go and stepped on the baseline.. It looked textbook, Rondae-like, and the refs called a pushing foul. I saw the replay on the big screen and it still looked textbook. I was probably the loudest person in the building at that moment, I was so mad that play, seeing how far he had come, was penalized. it was like seeing your kid finally learn to ride a bike and some asshole jumps in front to stop him. Maybe you guys can chime in and tell me there was a push. I was pretty worked up about that.
I know the exact play you are talking about and I was at home yelling at the same call. They showed the replay several times and it was perfect defense and a horrible call.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

There are only 2 programs that have backed off on Kobi to my knowledge.

KY already signed 2 guards and need a big with their remaining scholly.

Many pundits think Thad is saving face by saying he stopped the recruitment after he found out it was a lost cause anyway.

I count 27 offers here:
School Interest Offer Visit Recruited by
Kentucky High Offered 08/28/2015
Ohio St. High Offered 09/11/2015
UNLV High Offered 09/04/2015
Alabama None None
Arizona None Offered None
Auburn None Offered None
Cincinnati None Offered None
Duke None None
Florida St. None Offered None
Georgia None Offered None
Georgia Tech None Offered None
Houston None Offered None
Kansas None None
LSU None Offered None
Marquette None Offered None
Memphis None Offered None
Mississippi St. None Offered None
Missouri None Offered None
N. Carolina None Offered None
N.C. State None Offered None Orlando Early
Providence None Offered None
Syracuse None Offered None
Tennessee None Offered None
Texas None None
Texas Tech None Offered None
USC None Offered None
Vanderbilt None Offered None
Virginia None Offered None
Wake Forest None Offered None
Xavier None Offered None
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Couple of more serious injuries to key players and we may end up being a final four team.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Love the "seemingly" in that sentence. Always trying to find the dark cloud.
gumby

Post by gumby »

KaibabKat wrote:Couple of more serious injuries to key players and we may end up being a final four team.
:lol:

Hell has frozen over. We went zone! What next? Hater cheering up?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I want this team to get to a Final Four now just to get ASUHATER's reaction. :)