Who's staying? Who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by Jefe »

Lauri is a steal if he doesn't go in the top 8. 2nd round is going to be fun to watch. I don't see Kobi and Chance both getting drafted
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Jefe wrote:Lauri is a steal if he doesn't go in the top 8. 2nd round is going to be fun to watch. I don't see Kobi and Chance both getting drafted
So the 1st round is about over and I look at the list of the 102 best players available on the ESPN draft site and Chance isn't included.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CatMG wrote:
Jefe wrote:Lauri is a steal if he doesn't go in the top 8. 2nd round is going to be fun to watch. I don't see Kobi and Chance both getting drafted
So the 1st round is about over and I look at the list of the 102 best players available on the ESPN draft site and Chance isn't included.
Chance is a dumba##....smh. I say this because he was foolish IMO ala Grant Jerret. Too bad we didn't land Bennie Boatwright instead of Chance. What a waste....would have loved to see Chance in his Junior year and developing more...he isn't ready for the Pros.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The more guys we have in the league the better for us. I'm rooting for all of them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:The more guys we have in the league the better for us. I'm rooting for all of them.
This. Rooting against ex-Cats is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Even if for no other reason, I'd have been rooting for Kobi and Chance to get drafted so we could add two more NBA draft picks to the intro video.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:The more guys we have in the league the better for us. I'm rooting for all of them.

Even if for no other reason, I'd have been rooting for Kobi and Chance to get drafted so we could add two more NBA draft picks to the intro video.
I would hope that recruits do more homework than to be influenced by two extra picks from people who didn't want to be here in the first place. But based on some decisions our former players and recruits have made, I shouldn't be as hopeful.

Wish all ex-cats the best but will never think or worry about them unless they play for the Suns or the team the Suns are playing in the playoffs against on a basketball level again.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I would hope that recruits do more homework than to be influenced by two extra picks from people who didn't want to be here in the first place. But based on some decisions our former players and recruits have made, I shouldn't be as hopeful.

Wish all ex-cats the best but will never think or worry about them unless they play for the Suns or the team the Suns are playing in the playoffs against on a basketball level again.
I know I make a point of researching the pregame hype video exhaustively. The second they try to add an All-American who wasn't a consensus, I'm marching on City Hall.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I can see value in cautionary tales.

"Leaving to go the League already? Think you're ready? That what's he (Kobi, Chance, Grant) said. Here's a tip: Listen to what they, not your peeps, tell you. They're objective."
Right where I want to be.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

gumby wrote:I can see value in cautionary tales.

"Leaving to go the League already? Think you're ready? That what's he (Kobi, Chance, Grant) said. Here's a tip: Listen to what they, not your peeps, tell you. They're objective."
You'd think. But they never listen to those cautionary tales. And there's literally dozens from all the major ball powers.

It is really, really hard to stick in the NBA.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PennZona20 wrote:

You'd think. But they never listen to those cautionary tales. And there's literally dozens from all the major ball powers.

I think that the idea of "making and sticking in the NBA" does not factor much in these decisions...

... Actually, I believe that "I want a cool ride and some bling!!" is much more likely in the front of their minds.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
gumby

Post by gumby »

PennZona20 wrote:

I don't know about "never." How would we know? Not like they're gonna publicly call out a previous player as a bad decision-maker while they explain their decision to stay. "See! I'm smarter than that guy!" For all we know that was a factor in Trier's decision. And the decision of others around the country.

North Carolina has had more McDonald's AAs than any other school, but only three one-and-dones. We had two this year. Tony Bradley was the first in 10 years for UNC. In that same decade, we've had Bayless, Jerrett, Gordon, Johnson, Markkanen, Simmons. Next year: Ayton.

For all we know, cautionary tales have played a role for UNC. They're doing something right. We should hack their system to get the secret.

Leaving too early is a valid concern, and a coach ought to present it as they confer. Having an example or two (or five) makes it easier to explain.

"A Player's Program" ought to mean helping them make the right decisions to reach their goals. A complicating factor is the coach is also trying to assemble the best team he can. I mean, it's a nice slogan, a nice sales pitch, but Miller will be judged by his teams not the future individual performances of his players in some other venue. So there will always be that tension.

But in three recent cases -- Grant, Kobi, Chance -- you can't say player had the better argument each time, and the coach would've been selfish by employing a cautionary tale.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

And yet here is the marketing being presented yesterday. Maybe we should talk more about our college success than the NBA hype if we want to attract more 4 year players.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yep.
gumby

Post by gumby »

For 2018, SI lists Ayton (3) and Alkins (16), but no Trier. Troy Brown, Oregon, is 15th.

Top 20

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/26/nba-d ... twitter_si" target="_blank

If it is Porter, and Mizzou misses tourney, that will be three straight years the top pick came from a non-tourney team. Cray.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

cray cray
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I'd bet a substantial amount of money that barring an injury or suspension that Trier will be a first rounder next year.
Bangkok Wildcat

Interesting watching all these analysts talk about CP3 to Houston and how such a trade is influenced by the complete failure of the Draft and Draftees not being prepared enough to stand up and contribute right away or even after a few years......should fall under the 'No shit Sherlock!' Title.

How nice it would be to see a lot of this young talent develop for a minimum of 3 years at college before heading to the NBA. Smh.
Bangkok Wildcat

PennZona20 wrote:I'd bet a substantial amount of money that barring an injury or suspension that Trier will be a first rounder next year.
Me too PennZona20. Spot on IMO. BD.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:I'd bet a substantial amount of money that barring an injury or suspension that Trier will be a first rounder next year.

I personally think that by the time Trier leaves here, he will be regarded as a top 5 wildcat of all time.

He's going to be a 3 year player that lead us to a Final Four and possibly more.

Elliot
Bibby
Terry
Damon
Simon

Trier is going to be right there after these guys at worst.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

PennZona20 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

I personally think that by the time Trier leaves here, he will be regarded as a top 5 wildcat of all time.

He's going to be a 3 year player that lead us to a Final Four and possibly more.

Elliot
Bibby
Terry
Damon
Simon

I don't see it - would love to be wrong though.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Unless he wins one for us next year, Ive got TJ and Markkanen ahead of him :) But I also have Bennett Davison up there too so
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PennZona20 wrote:I personally think that by the time Trier leaves here, he will be regarded as a top 5 wildcat of all time.

Elliot
Bibby
Terry
Damon
Simon

He'd have to do more than reach a FF; he'd have to win a natty to crack that top 5.

If he does reach a FF, I think top 10 is a possibility.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Jefe wrote:Unless HE WINS ONE for us next year, Ive got TJ and Markkanen ahead of him :) But I also have Bennett Davison up there too so

I will always like TJ more maybe, but I'll just say I have big expectations next year if health prevails.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PennZona20 wrote:
Jefe wrote:Unless HE WINS ONE for us next year, Ive got TJ and Markkanen ahead of him :) But I also have Bennett Davison up there too so

I will always like TJ more maybe, but I'll just say I have big expectations next year if health prevails.
Hard to imagine Trier passing TJ unless he reaches the FF. And even then, it may be a stretch. TJ's arguably impacted our program as much as any AZ player under Miller.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Trier has to do a lot to crack Arizona's top 5. Not saying its impossible but yeah
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Trier has to do a lot to crack Arizona's top 5. Not saying its impossible but yeah
At first I read that as saying Trier has to do a lot of crack to make Arizona's top 5. I was scared that he didn't learn his lesson from last season about substances.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Another (CBS). Ayton 4, Trier (21, but first-team AA). No Alkins.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/way-t ... r-at-no-1/" target="_blank

Parrish really high on the team.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

No Alkins in first round*

Prob a projected 2nd rounder w a good year getting into 1st round next year. I personally don't think it's a guarantee he's gone .... Moreno like 75% he is. Trier and Ayton are 100% though.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Draft Express has Trier going 35th and Alkins 44th.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

PennZona20 wrote:No Alkins in first round*

Prob a projected 2nd rounder w a good year getting into 1st round next year. I personally don't think it's a guarantee he's gone .... Moreno like 75% he is. Trier and Ayton are 100% though.

Rawle should play with a chip on his shoulder. I won't bet against him. 8-)
gumby

Post by gumby »

All five Trojans who looked at NBA are returning. Possible Top 10 team. Our biggest challengers.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wear UA hoodies a lot during the winter, so be expecting a "bear down" when I see him.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://herosports.com/news/one-and-don ... visualized" target="_blank

Interesting study of the one and done era. AZ has had the 7th most one and dones, tied with UW. UK leads everyone by a ton.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

This year it's pretty easy, hopefully we don't get any unexpected transfers.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

if miller leaves i'd expect us to only be returning like 3-4 scholarship players for next season when it's all said and done. going to have to sign a lot of juco's and unrecruited 2-3 star kids that normally go to Oregon State or Montana to even field a full roster next year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Sid

Post by Sid »

ASUHATER! wrote:if miller leaves i'd expect us to only be returning like 3-4 scholarship players for next season when it's all said and done. going to have to sign a lot of juco's and unrecruited 2-3 star kids that normally go to Oregon State or Montana to even field a full roster next year.
Maybe go after an aggressive 2-3 star point guard like that Buffalo kid?

First time I’ve ever seen him play and I knew we were fucked after 6 minutes of play.

Dominating point guards are special, something we use to be blessed with.....
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ASUHATER! wrote:if miller leaves i'd expect us to only be returning like 3-4 scholarship players for next season when it's all said and done. going to have to sign a lot of juco's and unrecruited 2-3 star kids that normally go to Oregon State or Montana to even field a full roster next year.
This is a bit extreme. This is still U of A. You can literally call most 3 stars in the country and get them to consider us. You make it sound like they will have to hold tryouts in the gym to get players.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Shouldn't go after 2-3*s just to fill scholarship spots, that's how you make a bad situation even worse. Learn from Rich Rodriguez and his OKG bs
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

I wouldn't be surprised if both Trier and Alkins go un-drafted. Neither has shown any skill improvement year-over-year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

billk78 wrote:
This is a bit extreme. This is still U of A. You can literally call most 3 stars in the country and get them to consider us. You make it sound like they will have to hold tryouts in the gym to get players.
Considering we're facing down possible sanctions and a completely new coaching staff that will be who knows how good... my view is absolutely realistic. You gotta realize that and be prepared for it next year. It will be far worse than you are admitting. What top 50 player would come here under those circumstances?

I doubt we sign a top 25 recruiting class for a long while.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One and done rules could be changing.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:39 pm One and done rules could be changing.
Did it say in what way?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Believe it is going to be straight out of high school they can go to the league, but if you go to college you need to wait 2 years. Similar to baseball which I think is 3 years.

So no more one and dones.