Who's staying? Who's going?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Next year could be very special. My thoughts on why:

--Ayton is the most talented player in Arizona history the second he puts an Arizona uniform on. He may not be the best, but his ability is freakish. We've seen guys like AG recently, but Ayton's physical tools are on a different level. We'll see about his motor.

--Trier and Alkins are the best wing duo in the nation. Enough said there.

--Parker and Dusan will always be Parker and Dusan, but they're seniors. We talk about them as two of our most limited players, but as seniors, you hope they are ready for their best.

--Randolph and Akot have a lot of potential. I've seen both play, and they should both be ready to do big things by March. Neither is a project, but both can get seasoning plus the huge advantage of facing off with Rawle and Zo in practice.

--Hopefully Lee has a high a motor as he is reputed to have. Having him and Keanu as energy guys to spell Ayton and Dusan is a big deal. We don't need scoring firepower (we have a minimum of 4 guys who can give you 20 any night) but need that effort, D and toughness.

The ceiling is (again) sky high.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Trier has to play point guard because nobody other than PJC can put in real minutes at the position next year.... That will make things thin on the wing.
This post from this morning hasn't aged well.
Wait until we have a few major injuries, suspensions and Akot goes to Australia. Everything that is old will be new again.
You forgot to add 'Contract the Spanish Flu' to the list....Of course if that happens, nothing else will matter much then :roll:

Seriously though, not to tempt fate but I unless God really does hate us then I can't see another year like last year ever happening again.....last year had to be about the worst I can recall re: injuries, not enrolling, suspensions, etc.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't see what Spanish Fly has to do with this.
Bangkok Wildcat

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I don't see what Spanish Fly has to do with this.
Damn, forgot to add Spanish Fly so thanks for adding that to the list of potential threats :-)....I would add Spanish Omlette Addiction too but...come on, how is that a bad thing? Those are just too delicious!
Bangkok Wildcat

So back to serious convo.....re Chance's dumbass decision to go Pro (IMHO) is now interesting that Akot reclassified and we are fully loaded on scholarships. What would have happened if Chance hadn't made that decision?

Would Akot have still re-classified? Would he have gone elsewhere? Or what seems the more likely decision to me is that we pulled someone else's scholarship (i.e. Talbot Denny)? I would have been ok with pulling Denny's scholarship as he was promised one year and he got one year....not our fault he got hurt.

Yes, would have been an extremely unfortunate decision but in this day and age of hardcore players jumping early and leaving Coaches scrambling.....crap has to run downhill at some point. Thoughts?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hat tip on that last post Spliff.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So back to serious convo.....re Chance's dumbass decision to go Pro (IMHO) is now interesting that Akot reclassified and we are fully loaded on scholarships. What would have happened if Chance hadn't made that decision?

Would Akot have still re-classified? Would he have gone elsewhere? Or what seems the more likely decision to me is that we pulled someone else's scholarship (i.e. Talbot Denny)? I would have been ok with pulling Denny's scholarship as he was promised one year and he got one year....not our fault he got hurt.

Yes, would have been an extremely unfortunate decision but in this day and age of hardcore players jumping early and leaving Coaches scrambling.....crap has to run downhill at some point. Thoughts?

I think the only direct consequence of Chance leaving is a) Keanu won't redshirt now and b) we have Chase Jeter now. If CC stays, we don't pick up Jeter and Keanu redshirts next year. Now he can't as we need his minutes on the court.

I honestly think Akot plans on going pro after the 18-19 season (that is always subject to change if he's not as good as he thinks he is and needs more years to develop) and instead of being done after one year in 18 he wants to jumpstart his development which will happen much faster w two years in college. I think the plan is to be a role player this year, a leader in 18, and first round pick in 19. I honestly think the reason he waited was 1) to make sure we had enough ships , and 2) to make sure Cam Johnson didn't commit since Cam would fill that role of a wing 6'8 guy who can side down to the 4 in a small lineup. Once the Rawle domino fell neither BB or CJ were going to come here to be guys off bench so that left Akot a clear spot to get 8-10 minutes a game off the bench as the guy Cam Johnson could have been on D.

It works out great for UA cuz we get Akot now for a minimum and likely 2 years instead of probable 1 and he's willing to accept his role as a role player in year 1. And he will likely have some moments this year to help the team.

I don't see zones as being a problem this year. I think Sean has shown he will address it and we will have plenty of some busters in Trier, PJC, Alkins, smith, Randolph , and occasionally Ayton and even Akot.
Bangkok Wildcat

PennZona20 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So back to serious convo.....re Chance's dumbass decision to go Pro (IMHO) is now interesting that Akot reclassified and we are fully loaded on scholarships. What would have happened if Chance hadn't made that decision?

I think the only direct consequence of Chance leaving is a) Keanu won't redshirt now and b) we have Chase Jeter now. If CC stays, we don't pick up Jeter and Keanu redshirts next year. Now he can't as we need his minutes on the court.

I honestly think Akot plans on going pro after the 18-19 season (that is always subject to change if he's not as good as he thinks he is and needs more years to develop) and instead of being done after one year in 18 he wants to jumpstart his development which will happen much faster w two years in college. I think the plan is to be a role player this year, a leader in 18, and first round pick in 19. I honestly think the reason he waited was 1) to make sure we had enough ships , and 2) to make sure Cam Johnson didn't commit since Cam would fill that role of a wing 6'8 guy who can side down to the 4 in a small lineup. Once the Rawle domino fell neither BB or CJ were going to come here to be guys off bench so that left Akot a clear spot to get 8-10 minutes a game off the bench as the guy Cam Johnson could have been on D.

It works out great for UA cuz we get Akot now for a minimum and likely 2 years instead of probable 1 and he's willing to accept his role as a role player in year 1. And he will likely have some moments this year to help the team.

I don't see zones as being a problem this year. I think Sean has shown he will address it and we will have plenty of some busters in Trier, PJC, Alkins, smith, Randolph , and occasionally Ayton and even Akot.
Wow, excellent and very interesting take PennZona20. Cleared up several questions I had in one posting. Thanks much for the input!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

EOCT wrote:The PG subject.

A few thoughts. First, PJC. I'm not convinced he can't give us good minutes, limited or not. Dude has heart, as evidenced by halving his projected high ankle sprain rehab somehow. He came back without missing a beat---unexpected so from that type of injury. His distribution skills were money right away, witness Dusan suddenly seeing a lot of balls. The team was re-energized.

Second, we haven't seen Barcello yet. Spain and our early practices will show us whether his game translates.

Third----here's where I'll really piss everyone off. Rawle. Sure, sure he doesn't know PG, and as many have opined "doesn't have the handles/ball-control skills. Really?

Where is this guy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujiNu2sab4" target="_blank

Yes, HS D on him, but high level.

Wildcats have options at point guard in 2017-18

Sean Miller said Monday that Arizona has “three to four” players who can play point guard with Jackson-Cartwright, a rising senior, being the No. 1 option.

“He’s working really hard,” Miller said of Jackson-Cartwright, “and I’ve seen it four or five times in the last six seasons where you have that junior becoming a senior and you can just see it in them that they’re going to have a great offseason and they’re going to be a meaningful, better improved player as a senior than they were a year earlier. Kadeem Allen was that a year ago and I believe Parker will follow that.”

That would require Jackson-Cartwright to stay healthy. He missed six games with a high ankle sprain last season and missed some time as a freshman with a concussion.

“I’m hoping that he can get a year of health from start to finish,” Miller said.

The other options

Miller listed Allonzo Trier and incoming recruits Alex Barcello and Emmanuel Akot as the other options to split time at point guard with Jackson-Cartwright.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... llo-roster" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm guessing Ayton will be a nice guy to flash to the middle of a zone. Akot has length and looks like an excellent passer with good vision who is capable of putting the ball on the floor if the collapse dictates it. If he can knock down a 15 footer at a decent rate, then we should be really happy with that option. We are probably going to always have at least two really good shooters around the perimeter at all times in Rawle, Trier, PJC, and Randolph. Plenty of guys who can cut to the basket and finish too, especially when we got Ayton at the 5.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Wed May 24, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I'm guessing Ayton will be a nice guy to flash to the middle of a zone. Akot has length and looks like an excellent passer with good vision who is capable of putting the ball on the floor if the collapse dictates it. If he can knock down a 15 footer at a decent rate, then we should be really happy with that option.
Against a zone, Akot, Alkins, Randolph and Ayton all have the requisite skill set to play at the elbow. Of course, they're 3 freshmen and 1 soph, so filling that role will probably be rough going for a bit until things are more ironed out.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I'm guessing Ayton will be a nice guy to flash to the middle of a zone. Akot has length and looks like an excellent passer with good vision who is capable of putting the ball on the floor if the collapse dictates it. If he can knock down a 15 footer at a decent rate, then we should be really happy with that option.
Against a zone, Akot, Alkins, Randolph and Ayton all have the requisite skill set to play at the elbow. Of course, they're 3 freshmen and 1 soph, so filling that role will probably be rough going for a bit until things are more ironed out.
I left out Alkins and Randolph for the purpose of keeping an extra shooter on the wing, but yes, lots of potential options.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Excellent breakdowns in this thread, Spiff! Is it November yet?!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We wouldn't have landed Chase Jeter and Chance would've occupied the scholarship he's currently taken. Also to be clear this wasn't just Chance's decision (in regards to leaving Arizona). Going pro was his decision solely though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I left out Alkins and Randolph for the purpose of keeping an extra shooter on the wing, but yes, lots of potential options.
Yeah. Given the youth and the # of options, I would assume Miller will give a fair number of people a look and let their production dictate who settles into our primary option.
Bangkok Wildcat

ChooChooCat wrote:
We wouldn't have landed Chase Jeter and Chance would've occupied the scholarship he's currently taken. Also to be clear this wasn't just Chance's decision (in regards to leaving Arizona). Going pro was his decision solely though.
Thanks much Choo Choo! Am assuming he screwed himself academically? Seemed the most obvious conclusion due to past history and the speculations on this board. Maybe we are better off that he left then if he was going to have academic issues / suspensions, etc. if he stayed?
mofo

Post by mofo »

This will be interesting to see what affect Romar has on our offense. We sure have the talent, I'm looking forward to seeing how we use it.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

IMHO, PJC and Dusan are critical to the regular season and will provide stability as the newcomers get their sea legs. But as we turn the page into March, if we're going to do great things, both of those players will either need to significantly step up their games or both will play lesser roles in critical match ups. Their limitations are exposed against elite competition. Hopefully by March, this team will be anchored by Trier, Alkins & Ayton with everyone else fighting for important supporting cast roles.
Bangkok Wildcat

zonagrad wrote:IMHO, PJC and Dusan are critical to the regular season and will provide stability as the newcomers get their sea legs. But as we turn the page into March, if we're going to do great things, both of those players will either need to significantly step up their games or both will play lesser roles in critical match ups. Their limitations are exposed against elite competition. Hopefully by March, this team will be anchored by Trier, Alkins & Ayton with everyone else fighting for important supporting cast roles.
I'm especially impressed by Dusan's return when many in his place might have jumped to pro. Remember when he was incoming and some thought he was a OND? In any case, am so impressed he went the Channing Frye route and all 4 years to develop and prepare for the NBA.

I will be seriously cheering for his Pro Career and will be so happy if he does as well as Channing or better. Bear Down Dusan.

Also love PJC but the kid is my size and that is just a too small for an elite PG IMO. I would love to see his game continue it's upward trajectory ala end of last season and wish him an injury-free, stellar Senior year....he damned well deserves it!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Could have used one of these playing X
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Could have used one of these playing X
Lauri is a special, special talent.
gumby

Post by gumby »

What might've been ... dang.
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So what does Lauri need to get better at? Scoring in traffic? Absorbing contact and still hitting shots? Drawing fouls? Post game?
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Beachcat97 wrote:So what does Lauri need to get better at? Scoring in traffic? Absorbing contact and still hitting shots? Drawing fouls? Post game?
Playing in the paint for sure. Defense.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Yeah. Like was said ..... his floor is Ryan Anderson. He'll always be a big stretch 4 who is deadly from 3. But if he wants to get anywhere near his ceiling (dirk) he needs to learn to drive , pull up, finish at rim, finish through contact, absorb contact, develop a fadeaway that's unblockable, develop a step back, learn how to ply D against big time athletes.

He has shown flashes of some of this, two dribble pull up, going to hoop, etc, but he needs to get better, especially on D. Teams will go right at him to get him in foul trouble if he's going to be a 20 ppg scorer ..... which I think he will eventually.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Beachcat97 wrote:So what does Lauri need to get better at? Scoring in traffic? Absorbing contact and still hitting shots? Drawing fouls? Post game?
The quick answer?

Defense, rebounding, creation off the dribble (one aspect of his game that is underrated). Lot of work left to do with his game. Hes a high floor guy, but a ways to go to exceed that. Most of the work is going to come on the other end of the floor. Who is he defending, what is he contributing on the glass, can he provide any rim protection at all (unlikely)?
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lauri has a great attitude, and from what I've seen, he is a competitor. He'll be a terrific teammate. I think some of these teams who pass on him in the top 10 may have regrets down the road.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
The quick answer?

Defense, rebounding, creation off the dribble (one aspect of his game that is underrated). Lot of work left to do with his game. Hes a high floor guy, but a ways to go to exceed that. Most of the work is going to come on the other end of the floor. Who is he defending, what is he contributing on the glass, can he provide any rim protection at all (unlikely)?
Adding to your list (all of which I agree with) I would put in overall agressiveness. He is happy to be a complementary player when he can be a star.

I think he can be a good defender, but will never be a rim protector. He needs to continue filling out and develop his footwork. If he can move on the perimeter and hold his ground in the post, it isn't the end of the world if he can't block shots.

He showed flashes with rebounding, so I think he can. He just needs consistency.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Watch Durant, who is about the same size. Really tight handle. Can stop on a dime, rise and fire. Can dribble through traffic. Lauri needs to do everything quicker, including long-range shooting. He'll never be as quick as KD, but he can be quicker if he becomes more confident and decisive with his handle.

If he's destined to be Dirk, then he needs to bulk up a lot, so he can absorb contact and still make one-legged shots.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That Lauri video is awesome. Going to be fun to watch him develop in the league.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:If he's destined to be Dirk, then he needs to bulk up a lot, so he can absorb contact and still make one-legged shots.
Dirk only averaged 8ppg as a rookie. Not a bad number. The following season he averaged 17ppg. Dirk's development happened fairly quickly. Dallas needed him to be an aggressive offensive player, and that's exactly what he became.

With Lauri, so much will depend on the team that drafts him. Who's the coach? How's team chemistry? Are they a playoff team or a work in progress? He can be a big part of a team's future, but it could take him 2-3 seasons to really settle in to the NBA game.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Lauri at best will be Rashard Lewis-esque. He's not the next Dirk
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Lauri at best will be Rashard Lewis-esque. He's not the next Dirk
Is Lewis 7 feet tall? Think this is what separates Lauri from many other elite shooters.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Watch Durant, who is about the same size. Really tight handle. Can stop on a dime, rise and fire. Can dribble through traffic. Lauri needs to do everything quicker, including long-range shooting. He'll never be as quick as KD, but he can be quicker if he becomes more confident and decisive with his handle.

If he's destined to be Dirk, then he needs to bulk up a lot, so he can absorb contact and still make one-legged shots.
Lauri isn't Durant.

He is better suited for the European style (Dirk, Bargnani, Gallinari, Porzingis) which is less ball dominant. He can get his off the pick and pop, post looks, faceup and catch and shoot. Lauri has a diverse game offensively, but expecting him to just grab the ball and go like KD is destined for failure. Even Dirk isn't a guy you toss the ball and let him go break down the D.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:Watch Durant, who is about the same size. Really tight handle. Can stop on a dime, rise and fire. Can dribble through traffic. Lauri needs to do everything quicker, including long-range shooting. He'll never be as quick as KD, but he can be quicker if he becomes more confident and decisive with his handle.

Lauri isn't Durant.
Right. Just pointing out what it takes to be great, even if tall and a good shooter.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Lauri has a great attitude, and from what I've seen, he is a competitor. He'll be a terrific teammate. I think some of these teams who pass on him in the top 10 may have regrets down the road.

I'd argue outside of Fultz and maybe Zo and JJ, he has the highest ceiling of anyone in this draft (granted I don't know much about the French PG).

If Lauri ever reaches final form, look out. He'll be a 10 time all star.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Lauri isn't Durant.

He is better suited for the European style (Dirk, Bargnani, Gallinari, Porzingis) which is less ball dominant. He can get his off the pick and pop, post looks, faceup and catch and shoot. Lauri has a diverse game offensively, but expecting him to just grab the ball and go like KD is destined for failure. Even Dirk isn't a guy you toss the ball and let him go break down the D.
Dirk in his prime could. Go rewatch the title run. Give the ball to Dirk at top of key and clear out. Or in the high post. Dude was unstoppable on offense in his prime.

Dirk also developed a killer instinct by then. That's what he was missing for first 7-8 years of his career. Like when they lost to Heat (first time around). I truly believe Lauri can get there but he's got to become stronger, tougher, and a leader. He's passive by nature and he's going to have to develop that mentality.

If you put Triers mentality into Lauris body you'd have a surefire HOF in the NBA. I still think Lauri might get there.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/21/h ... nba-draft/" target="_blank

OAKLAND — The Warriors enter Thursday night’s NBA Draft without a pick. Their first-rounder is in Utah and their second-rounder has bounced around to Atlanta, both conveyed via the Andre Iguodala sign-and-trade four offseasons ago.

“The final credit card debt (from that transaction),” Bob Myers called it.

But even without a pick, the front office remains active. Last year, the Warriors gave Milwaukee $2.4 million for the 38th pick, where they snagged Patrick McCaw. This year, they’re angling to do something similar.

Myers has a big white board in his office. All the prospects are listed. Some of them have a big red ‘B’ next to their name.

“There are guys we would buy a pick for,” Myers said. “If you snuck in there, it would be fun to see.”

The NBA has a financial limit for these kind of transactions. This year it is $3.6 million. You cannot send out or receive more than that in an NBA calendar year, which ends on June 30th.

Chance Comanche is the most intriguing of the bigs they worked out, but he’d be a major project, unready for next year. Comanche played two years at Arizona, Steve Kerr’s alma mater, barely seeing the floor as a freshman and then putting up modest stats as a sophomore (6.3 points, 3.6 rebounds and only 4.1 blocks in 18.1 minutes per game).

But he’s 6-foot-11 with a wingspan that stretches beyond 7 feet. He’s slender but pretty mobile for a big and, if cultivated and developed right, has the tools that could translate down the line. Maybe the Warriors are intrigued by him as a guy to stash in the D-League.

But they may be after somebody who didn’t even work out for them. It wasn’t exactly easy to sell prospects on a flight to Oakland.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LOL @ "only 4.1 blocks in 18 minutes per game."

Based on what I have seen on social media in recent days, Lauri is the in vogue "bust" with the fans. One guy pegged him to be the 35th best player from this draft when all is said and done years down the road, someone else said his ceiling is Channing Frye/Ryan Anderson.... :lol: Then again, we have seen him play 35 plus times and im sure these A-holes have seen him play once or twice.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:LOL @ "only 4.1 blocks in 18 minutes per game."

Based on what I have seen on social media in recent days, Lauri is the in vogue "bust" with the fans. One guy pegged him to be the 35th best player from this draft when all is said and done years down the road, someone else said his ceiling is Channing Frye/Ryan Anderson.... :lol: Then again, we have seen him play 35 plus times and im sure these A-holes have seen him play once or twice.
Lauri is properly rated. I would suspect most Arizona fans have a good knowledge of him vs Channing Frye. Lauri is light years ahead of Frye in putting the ball on the floor and getting to the rim.

Channing is a good shooter, but Lauri is a pure shooter in a way even Anderson and Frye can't touch. Neither of them will put the ball on the floor and nail a pullup 17-18 footer. Lauri is probably better at that than he is with a pure standstill. He was automatic off the dribble in midrange.

Lauri is also an underrated defender. People focus on him not blocking shots, and he probably never will. However, he's very mobile for his size, doesn't get lost in the p and r and can effectively play position D. As he fills out, he should only get better. Yeah, you'll always be disappointed if you want him to be your rim protector. If you want him to defend his position well, he can do that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Lauri is properly rated. I would suspect most Arizona fans have a good knowledge of him vs Channing Frye. Lauri is light years ahead of Frye in putting the ball on the floor and getting to the rim.

Channing is a good shooter, but Lauri is a pure shooter in a way even Anderson and Frye can't touch. Neither of them will put the ball on the floor and nail a pullup 17-18 footer. Lauri is probably better at that than he is with a pure standstill. He was automatic off the dribble in midrange.

Lauri is also an underrated defender. People focus on him not blocking shots, and he probably never will. However, he's very mobile for his size, doesn't get lost in the p and r and can effectively play position D. As he fills out, he should only get better. Yeah, you'll always be disappointed if you want him to be your rim protector. If you want him to defend his position well, he can do that.
Yeah, I love Channing Frye, but it's literally comparing a lottery pick to the later NBA trajectory of a 4-star, 4-year college prospect who didn't develop his game outside the post until he was a pro.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Yeah, Channing is a good shooter, but people forget he didn't have 3 point range until a year or two into the pros after 4 years of college. Lauri has the potential to be a 40% shooter from NBA 3 range right now.

Channing also can't hold a candle to Lauri in mobility and agility. He is adequate, but you don't exactly want him doing a lot of breaking defenders down off the bounce or hedging and recovering. Lauri is already better at both.

Look, Lauri might not be a star, but it won't be because he doesn't have the tools. He didn't just excel at Arizona. He's proved his worth in international competition. If I worry about him, it's whether his mindset is enough to maximize his potential.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What time does the draft start?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:What time does the draft start?
11:97 PM
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

CalStateTempe wrote:What time does the draft start?
It probably took you longer to type this than to type 'nba draft time' in your google search bar.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NBATV had Lauri at 13 in their mock draft. I would think he gets picked a bit higher. Said defense and passing are what will hold him back.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Preaching to the choir. I think the defense and rebounding "issues" with him are overhyped. He will obviously struggle initially, but he has what is needed to be at least an adequate defender in the NBA after a few years. Some people also cant grasp that you can still be a high quality defender without being a rim protector. Its like people expect a 7 footer who shoots like a 2 guard to also be a swiss army knife. That's just not realistic and if one ever comes around, he's the #1 pick in pretty much any draft. There are 4 other guys on the floor who can be pieced together to play off Lauri's strengths and mitigate his weaknesses, its a team game. Anthony-Towns is a pretty nice guy to have at the 5 if Lauri went to the Wolves.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:NBATV had Lauri at 13 in their mock draft. I would think he gets picked a bit higher. Said defense and passing are what will hold him back.
Lauri is fine as a passer and if teams are freaked out about his passing, that means they aren't using him right.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Preaching to the choir. I think the defense and rebounding "issues" with him are overhyped. He will obviously struggle initially, but he has what is needed to be at least an adequate defender in the NBA after a few years. Some people also cant grasp that you can still be a high quality defender without being a rim protector. Its like people expect a 7 footer who shoots like a 2 guard to also be a swiss army knife. That's just not realistic and if one ever comes around, he's the #1 pick in pretty much any draft. There are 4 other guys on the floor who can be pieced together to play off Lauri's strengths and mitigate his weaknesses, its a team game. Anthony-Towns is a pretty nice guy to have at the 5 if Lauri went to the Wolves.
I've seen a number of mocks that had him going to the Wolves. I think he and KAT would be great together. KAT is a rim protector that takes the pressure off Lauri in that department. Both of them are versatile offensive players who can do everything from faceups to the post.

KAT, Lauri and Wiggins in the frontcourt is a scary amount of scoring firepower too. Who are you going to help off of in that scenario?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Lauri in Dallas is what I would like to see. I dont trust Thibs, his rotations, what he wants from his forwards, and Lauri's defense.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier