Blog Entries

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

JMarkJohns

Blog Entries

Post by JMarkJohns »

If you have an idea, contact myself or UAdevil, or discuss it here. If you have any thoughts to add on the posted blogs, comment here.

We should bump this whenever a new blog is updated. This way folks know to look if they have the forum, not front page bookmarked.

I've just submitted a new piece. Hope to see it up soon (though it doesn't need to be today).

I refrained from getting drunk last night, and had these thoughts plaguing me. I guess it can be good to remain lucid :lol:
JMarkJohns

Re: Blog Entries

Post by JMarkJohns »

My submission is up...
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

JMarkJohns wrote:My submission is up...
Hopefully it goes over better than my morose and loathing Reality Bites poll that I deleted like an hour ago after 4 hours and no comments and no poll votes :lol:
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

Really good take as always.

Love your thoughts although I am a bit more pessimistic than you are, I hope you are spot on.

Keep on writing.
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Hopefully it goes over better than my morose and loathing Reality Bites poll that I deleted like an hour ago after 4 hours and no comments and no poll votes :lol:
I didn't even see the poll, :(
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

It's completely normal to feel pessimistic.

I'm not saying anyone should sell their house and bet it on the Cats next year, but if my thesis of 1 playing year's worth of development, adaptation = 3 year's worth in coaching, then I think it's fair to remain guarded, but hopeful, and watch as the small changes lead way to wholesale improvements.

Stanley-to-Trier-to-Leaf, even Tarczewski-to-Ristic, these are small seasonal changes indicating a larger systemic shift. I might be wrong, but I'd bet the drought for a Final 4 is over within next three years with a possibility of a Title in 3-5.

I know we all thought these two years were the window, but it seems the small changes take more than just a single season to implement, adapt, and evolve. First step is the paradigm, next is implementation. I think we are at the tale end of paradigm, and Trier/Ristic/Leaf represent the implementation phase.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
I spent today watching the movies I grew up on. Reality Bites, Almost Famous, Singles... So I discussed what I liked about Singles vs Reality Bites and invited folks to discuss which is a better crisis of adulthood/relationship movie, creating a poll.

Literally no takers, so I figured I was alone in my musings.

Last year I got shit faced and posted gibberish. Today I got all sad and introspective, visiting my film friends, then wanting to talk about it. Seems like Drunk JMJ was more popular! 8-)
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
I spent today watching the movies I grew up on. Reality Bites, Almost Famous, Singles... So I discussed what I liked about Singles vs Reality Bites and invited folks to discuss which is a better crisis of adulthood/relationship movie, creating a poll.

Last year I got shit faced and posted gibberish. Today I got all sad and introspective, visiting my film friends, then wanting to talk about it. Seems like Drunk JMJ was more popular! 8-)
Ah, well maybe like me, people were just off ignoring the remainder of the tourney?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:

Ah, well maybe like me, people were just off ignoring the remainder of the tourney?
I haven't watched a second of the tournament since, nor a second of SportsCenter.

That's why I had the time to get all gen X today...
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

JMarkJohns wrote: I haven't watched a second of the tournament since, nor a second of SportsCenter.

Same here, not a second since and won't watch a second going forward.

Although I spent most of my free time today sleeping.

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote: I haven't watched a second of the tournament since, nor a second of SportsCenter.

Same here, not a second since and won't watch a second going forward.

Although I spent most of my free time today sleeping.
I couldn't sleep. Awake in bed last night is actually where the idea for the blog post came from...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

JMarkJohns wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:

JMJ,
I haven't seen either movie in ages, but I was single when I saw Singles and thought it was great.

All I remember from Reality Bites was hating that one dude, the doily comment, and the My Sharona scene in the 7-Eleven, so I'd vote for Singles.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Where are these blogs you speak of?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azcat49 wrote:Where are these blogs you speak of?
Click on the banner. It'll take you to home page. Click on blogs.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

UAEebs86 wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:

JMJ,
I haven't seen either movie in ages, but I was single when I saw Singles and thought it was great.

All I remember from Reality Bites was hating that one dude, the doily comment, and the My Sharona scene in the 7-Eleven, so I'd vote for Singles.
Singles is great, and my favorite, I think, between the two. Strong characters, and felt a bit more genuine. Great soundtrack and bonus points for including all the Grunge cameos.

I hope the "dude" you hate wasn't Troy, played by Ethan Hawke, as he defined the whole concept of fashionably sensitive, but too cool to care that I wished I could be amidst my early 20s breakup. Loved his line on cliffnotes, and I remember actually learning his "Why Can't I Get..." Song and playing it at the end of the year party as a senior.

But I can see how most thought he was a douche.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

JMarkJohns wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

JMJ,

Singles is great, and my favorite, I think, between the two. Strong characters, and felt a bit more genuine. Great soundtrack and bonus points for including all the Grunge cameos.

I hope the "dude" you hate wasn't Troy, played by Ethan Hawke, as he defined the whole concept of fashionably sensitive, but too cool to care that I wished I could be amidst my early 20s breakup. Loved his line on cliffnotes, and I remember actually learning his "Why Can't I Get..." Song and playing it at the end of the year party as a senior.

No, I think it was Stiller's character, but it's been a long time...
-JB
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

UAEebs86 wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

JMJ,

No, I think it was Stiller's character, but it's been a long time...
I hated Stiller's douche yuppie know-nothing character.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

JMarkJohns wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:

JMJ,

Who actually knows the definition of irony?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Harvey Specter wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:

JMJ,

Who actually knows the definition of irony?
Actual meaning is opposite of its literal meaning
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Good blog entry JMark. I'm with you on this.

I don't believe Miller will have any 'rebuilding' years going forward. The 'rebuilding' years were 3, 4, 5 years ago as you sort of alluded to. Sure, we might not be a dominant 30-3 at the end of the season every year, but we sure as hell will always win well north of 20 games and will be a relatively high seed in the tournament.

This can't be said enough, the tournament is a fucking crapshoot. This year is a perfect example. A senior-laden Wisconsin team being in our bracket and having their greatest shooting evening ever was bad luck. If we were in the South or East or if we had another #1 (other than Kentucky) in our bracket we'd be talking about Saturday's upcoming game. The team we had this year deserved better.

Couple that with the fact Miller always has his squad prepared and peaking in March, we will break through sooner rather than later. Maybe it's our time to be a 4-seed, knock of an overrated 1-seed and then play a fucking 7-seed or something in the Elite 8.

Bottom line, with Miller as coach and the quality players he brings in, I'm still placing future bets every single year to win that championship.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

JMarkJohns wrote:I hated Stiller
You could have stopped right there and been completely accurate.

P.S. Nice blog, really enjoyed it.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

I like the optimism in that post JMJ, I'm sure it wasn't all that easy to find.

I would love to contribute every now & again, when I have some ideas I'll contact you & UADevil.

P.S. - Singles all the way. Hated Reality Bites, and it doesn't hold up as well as Singles (which is also a bit dated, and if you believe Cameron Crowe himself, was miscast, but still works on a higher level right now),
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Singles" isn't at all memorable to me, except for the Westerberg songs. Was disappointed to discover they weren't part of an album, apart from this soundtrack, which cemented my indifference to grunge.

Fast Times, Say Anything. Almost Famous > than Singles, although it did make me happy to no longer be in my twenties.

Nonetheless, nice blog entry.
Right where I want to be.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I'm Gen X but still swear by Ordinary People. Don't mind being out of step like that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Where are the published blog entries posted?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:Where are the published blog entries posted?
if you go to the main page, beardownwildcats.com

there is a link for "blog"

if you follow that it displays the latest, there is an option to view archived posts.

I'd probably recommend some formatting for that page though, to make it more readable.

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

How would people feel about a group email to all BDW members when a new blog post is available? The post could even be in the message as well. Just a thought so no one misses anything if they don't frequent the front page.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Good idea, plus Facebook and Twitter message every time
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I think the best way to handle it is on the board. Can't we have a Blog Entry thread in general discussion and then post a new entry with the link to the Blog entry every time we have a new post?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I like ANGCatFan's suggestion because I rarely check email.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Some of these posts have not aged well.

And what happened to Rey and Newport?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Rey is pretty active on the UA sports Facebook groups. Forgot what happened to Newport, got his panties in a bunch about something.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:15 am Rey is pretty active on the UA sports Facebook groups. Forgot what happened to Newport, got his panties in a bunch about something.
AOC mostly
-JB