Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

HiCat

Allonzo Trier

Post by HiCat »

Spotlight shining twice on signee Trier

CHICAGO — About eight hours after playing on arguably the biggest stage of his life to date, Allonzo Trier will hop an early-morning flight to New York.

There, after shaking off the buzz from Wednesday’s McDonald’s All American Game at the United Center (6 p.m., ESPN), another big stage awaits: The Arizona Wildcats signee will join his Findlay Prep teammates in the Dick’s High School Nationals.

Tip time for his first game is noon Eastern on Thursday. His flight is set to arrive at 10:20 a.m.

“I’ll be cutting it close,” Trier said.

That’s the way life is for Trier this spring. It’s what happens when you’re considered one of the Top 15 players in the high school class of 2015, and on the Naismith’s five-player high school all-American team.

“He can really score and is really unselfish, which I really like, especially when you get to these types of basketball games,” Smith said of Trier, after three practices with his West players. “Guys just want to shoot, shoot, shoot — but he’s really been getting the ball to other people as well.

It’s his IQ. His willingness to be unselfish and that’s going to take him a long way. He has a great attitude about everything.

Smith said Trier can play both guard spots, but Trier is expected to be primarily a wing scorer for the Wildcats, who are expected to lose leading scorer Stanley Johnson to the NBA draft.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 469bd.html
gumby

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by gumby »

He looked smooth and controlled in Chicago, 17 points. He'll have to be savvier about attacking the rim in college. But he has a lot of game. Can see why he and Briscoe invite comparisons. Looks more filled out than some of the others. Ingram has super skinny legs. Feed that guy!

P.S. The McD broadcast bordered on unbearable. Jay and Jalen babbling incessantly as the action went on in the background. Yeah, people tune in for those takes on the State of Basketball.
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:He looked smooth and controlled in Chicago, 17 points. He'll have to be savvier about attacking the rim in college. But he has a lot of game. Can see why he and Briscoe invite comparisons. Looks more filled out than some of the others. Ingram has super skinny legs. Feed that guy!

P.S. The McD broadcast bordered on unbearable. Jay and Jalen babbling incessantly as the action went on in the background. Yeah, people tune in for those takes on the State of Basketball.
It ranked right up there with the Rado/Seattle U CBI feed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:He looked smooth and controlled in Chicago, 17 points. He'll have to be savvier about attacking the rim in college. But he has a lot of game. Can see why he and Briscoe invite comparisons. Looks more filled out than some of the others. Ingram has super skinny legs. Feed that guy!

It's an allstar game, so the attacking doesn't bother me. From what I've seen, he has a good midrange game, but that goes out the window in allstar games. He has a pretty J and a really mature offensive game. I liked it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Findlay Prep was down 44-42 going into the 4th quarter. Just beat Blanche Ely 63-50. Not sure what happened in ther 4th or what Trier did though as the box score isnt up yet. Advanced to the Semi's to play the winner of Montverde Academy/Greensboro Day

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Findlay went on a 21-6 run in the 4th quarter, playing a zone defense

They play tomorrow at noon(AZ time) on ESPN2
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

Watched Trier in all-star game and this morning in his regular Findley game, both games he had respectable numbers but he plays way too out of control at times. Silky Smooth jumper but tries to do too much driving into crowded paint and throw up junk or getting swatted. If this turns out to be his style when gets here he will drive Miller insane with his turnovers, but he can definitely shoot it. Simon on the other hand is not a scorer but he plays very under control and is an elite defender and a 110 percent pass first PG/player, as long as he handles the ball and Trier shoots it we will be fine. Trier also tends to take plays off on D, that wont fly with CSM. As of right now Trier wont start, Kadeem will start at the 2 and Simon and PJC will battle for the PG spot though Simon is big enough he can plug in to many different positions and could be a solid ultility player if he doesnt beat PJC out for the PG. Trier is likely going to be a 6th man, I dont see any possibility he can start over Kadeem or York at the 2. Regardless we will be deep and dangerous with our guard play, if we dont get Rabb our front court will be the weak spot, could see small ball but if current rumors are true both Ash and Tarc may return and if that is the case Arizona wont miss a beat and will be knocking on the Final Four door again next year.

Trier will play again tomorrow on ESPNU in the next round of the playoff. I dont know what time but check and see, you can catch him if you missed him the last few days.

Also just in case you didnt know, it is TREE-ER, not TRY-ER. It is French. =)
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

EDIT Trier plays again Friday at 1pm Tucson time on ESPN2.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jefe wrote:Findlay went on a 21-6 run in the 4th quarter, playing a zone defense

They play tomorrow at noon(AZ time) on ESPN2
I'm assuming that was an off-game for Thornton, because he was pretty bad. Seven turnovers.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ButtonSalmon wrote:Watched Trier in all-star game and this morning in his regular Findley game, both games he had respectable numbers but he plays way too out of control at times. Silky Smooth jumper but tries to do too much driving into crowded paint and throw up junk or getting swatted. If this turns out to be his style when gets here he will drive Miller insane with his turnovers, but he can definitely shoot it. Simon on the other hand is not a scorer but he plays very under control and is an elite defender and a 110 percent pass first PG/player, as long as he handles the ball and Trier shoots it we will be fine. Trier also tends to take plays off on D, that wont fly with CSM. As of right now Trier wont start, Kadeem will start at the 2 and Simon and PJC will battle for the PG spot though Simon is big enough he can plug in to many different positions and could be a solid ultility player if he doesnt beat PJC out for the PG. Trier is likely going to be a 6th man, I dont see any possibility he can start over Kadeem or York at the 2. Regardless we will be deep and dangerous with our guard play, if we dont get Rabb our front court will be the weak spot, could see small ball but if current rumors are true both Ash and Tarc may return and if that is the case Arizona wont miss a beat and will be knocking on the Final Four door again next year.

Trier will play again tomorrow on ESPNU in the next round of the playoff. I dont know what time but check and see, you can catch him if you missed him the last few days.

Yeah, but then "Trier? I barely know her!" doesn't work. Then again, Tree-er works since he's a Cat.

Saw what you saw, but would expect a more disciplined approach on the college level, or pine. Has the tools, that's for sure.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Trier is making Simmons look like a chump and playing much better then the #1 play in the country!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Trier Is MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Trier and Findlay got burned by the refs! Shady officiating! I guess he should get used to it come to play in Tucson!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Allonzona. C'mon, people. Start using that.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

gumby wrote:Allonzona. C'mon, people. Start using that.
Like it!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

nicknames are supposed to be shorter not longer
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

gumby wrote:
ButtonSalmon wrote:Watched Trier in all-star game and this morning in his regular Findley game, both games he had respectable numbers but he plays way too out of control at times. Silky Smooth jumper but tries to do too much driving into crowded paint and throw up junk or getting swatted. If this turns out to be his style when gets here he will drive Miller insane with his turnovers, but he can definitely shoot it. Simon on the other hand is not a scorer but he plays very under control and is an elite defender and a 110 percent pass first PG/player, as long as he handles the ball and Trier shoots it we will be fine. Trier also tends to take plays off on D, that wont fly with CSM. As of right now Trier wont start, Kadeem will start at the 2 and Simon and PJC will battle for the PG spot though Simon is big enough he can plug in to many different positions and could be a solid ultility player if he doesnt beat PJC out for the PG. Trier is likely going to be a 6th man, I dont see any possibility he can start over Kadeem or York at the 2. Regardless we will be deep and dangerous with our guard play, if we dont get Rabb our front court will be the weak spot, could see small ball but if current rumors are true both Ash and Tarc may return and if that is the case Arizona wont miss a beat and will be knocking on the Final Four door again next year.

Yeah, but then "Trier? I barely know her!" doesn't work. Then again, Tree-er works since he's a Cat.

Saw what you saw, but would expect a more disciplined approach on the college level, or pine. Has the tools, that's for sure.
Agreed, I am confident he will learn quickly under CSM, I tend to give him a pass in the all start games because everyone is forcing it and nobody is playing D. I also over looked it in his HS games because he may feel he needs to to do everything as the big start player on the team. There is a lot to be excited about this kid, IF he turns out to be coachable and lets Miller help him, if he continues to play out of control, well we all know what that means, but I will stress again, silky smooth shot, he doesnt elevate on his shot like someone like Bayless did, but his shot also isnt rushed and he has great form, he needs to learn to play to his strengths (shooting and drive and kick) he will be very good for us but if he continues to try and bull his way to the basket a lot like I have seen him prone to do, and throw up junk that doesnt even hit rim or backbaord and keeps turning the ball over, he will seee a lot of bench time. I doubt he will red shirt but I could see some debefits in doing so in order to learn more about this game at this level, the 2 gaurd is awfully deep. Overall I like Trier, I) like his intensity and passion just needs to learn how to channel that and utilize the talent he will have around him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Do we have a chance at Justin Jackson? Are we recruiting him heavily? thanks
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

CBCat wrote:Do we have a chance at Justin Jackson? Are we recruiting him heavily? thanks
Isn't he committed to the rebels?
az91

Post by az91 »

CBCat wrote:Do we have a chance at Justin Jackson? Are we recruiting him heavily? thanks
No chance
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Looks like Trier doesn't feed anyone and this isn't the first time I've read this about him:

Conmanlhughes
Scout Subscriber
Prospect
74 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Yesterday 4:02 PM
Re: Duke recruits high school thread
Trier was pulling the same stunt at the McDonalds all-american game. If I remember correctly, he was the one that kept waving off Ingram and driving for tough contested layups and midrange shots instead of passing to the wide open teammate. He could hurt Arizona more than he helps. Hes gonna get his, but he will destroy a team while doing it. Btw, does he look slightly feminine to ya'll?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
gumby

Post by gumby »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Zona, if you must. Wonder if he'll be allowed the mismatched shoes.

Trier scored half the points in that mess against Montverde. Findlay Prep had 49 turnovers in the two tournament games. Thornton has to learn ball security. Has the tools, but makes some bad choices.

Ben Simmons, legit.

Jackson to UNLV. PJ Washington, just a soph, is an intriguing big guy.

Games were played at Khalid Reeves' high school.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Kid's got game

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pl ... mp=yhs-001

"I can see myself doing those kinds of things" at UA, Trier said."

The East's big guys also made life tough on Trier, who was blocked or defended when he drove inside several times. However, Trier also managed to get to the free-throw line three times, making all three shots he took.

"It was fine," he said. "I'm not gonna shy away from any contact. There was a lot of contact and physicality, but nothing that was bad."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /70826190/
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

enfuego wrote:

Looks like Trier doesn't feed anyone and this isn't the first time I've read this about him:

Conmanlhughes
Scout Subscriber
Prospect
74 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Yesterday 4:02 PM
Re: Duke recruits high school thread
Trier was pulling the same stunt at the McDonalds all-american game. If I remember correctly, he was the one that kept waving off Ingram and driving for tough contested layups and midrange shots instead of passing to the wide open teammate. He could hurt Arizona more than he helps. Hes gonna get his, but he will destroy a team while doing it. Btw, does he look slightly feminine to ya'll?
He shot 55% this year at Findlay, (61.2% from 2 point range) so I am pretty sure he knows when he is taking a good shot.
gumby

Post by gumby »

En Fuego's concern is touching. Miller knows where to put freelancing players, and it's not on the floor. Right, MoMo?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

As long as Trier is willing to play defense, he has a chance to be special.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Beast mode
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
I see why we had a mutual parting with Tyler Dorsey.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

We would've have had two cats in these games if Smith doesn't get hurt!
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

That was a sweet poster on that dunk attempt he made where he was blocked by the front of the rim. Anyone make a gif of that?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:That was a sweet poster on that dunk attempt he made where he was blocked by the front of the rim. Anyone make a gif of that?
Was it this gif?

gumby

Post by gumby »

Frybry02 wrote:As long as Trier is willing to play defense, he has a chance to be special.
And share. Looked great at Jordan Brand. Definitely not shy.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona's Allonzo Trier makes U19 USA Basketball team

Written By Michael Cronin Posted: 06/17/2015, 01:33pm

Arizona freshman Allonzo Trier hasn’t even played a game in Tucson, yet, but expectations are already being raised even higher than they were before (pretty high, in their own right, honestly), as he’s one of the 12 players who were named to USA Basketball’s U19 team — which is trying to win the gold medal for the second straight year.

http://phoenix.suntimes.com/phx-sports/ ... basketball
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Big news from that link is that Josh Jackson has committed to somewhere other than UA...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Puerco wrote:Big news from that link is that Josh Jackson has committed to somewhere other than UA...
JJ has not commited to play anywhere yet. This link is incorrect. both JJ and Ferguson hav commited. False Alarm!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

Trier well-prepared for freshman season

Allonzo Trier should arrive in Tucson this week as one of the most prepared freshmen ever to play for the Wildcats.

Before he settles formally into UA's second summer session -- when the Wildcats' 2015-16 season effectively begins, with the entire team on hand -- Trier is coming off appearances in the McDonalds All-American Game, Jordan Brand Classic (where he was co-MVP), Nike Hoop Summit, Dick's Nationals (with Findlay Prep) and the FIBA U19 World Championships (with USA Basketball).

Before he headed to Colorado for the U19 training camp, Trier even swung by Tucson to squeeze in the UA summer pre-session and begin working out with his new teammates.

Sean Miller's coaching won't be anything new to him, either. Trier has now also played two straight summers under Miller, who was the U18 assistant last year and the U19 head coach this year, while both wrapped a couple of gold medals around their necks in the process.

"It’s just such a special feeling," Trier said in a USA Basketball release after the championship game. "The long journey we’ve been on together, and then to finally win the gold medal and accomplish our goal is such a great thing right now. I’m just so excited for everything we’ve been a part of.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 07e2a.html
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Hopefully Trier and Miller's hardware collection keeps growing during his Arizona tenure.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Buddy spotted him this morning. Creeper...

Smart move with the reflective shoes :lol:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:Buddy spotted him this morning. Creeper...
"Hi Officer, is there a problem?"
"Yes, I saw you using your mobile device while driving."
"Oh, you see, I just wanted to take a picture of that teenage boy over there crossing the street so I could send it to all my friends and maybe put it on the internet...."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

this is jefe after all. should probably put a watch on him or anyone he's associated with.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

This isn't Comifornia...all of that is legal here :)

Keep the BS personal opinions out of the Sports forum k?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

no thank you. hold the creeper status.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Too hot for sweats
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller staying patient with Trier

ANAHEIM, Calif. – After a month of wearing an Arizona Wildcats uniform in 2013-14, Aaron Gordon was already a proven prime-time performer.

Gordon averaged nearly a double-double over his first seven games with the Wildcats as a freshman that season and, on the Madison Square Garden stage, helped make Duke’s Jabari Parker work hard for his 19 points in the NIT Season Tip-Off. (The Blue Devils’ star shot 7 for 21, and was 0 for 5 from three-point range).

But it doesn’t always go like that, of course, even for McDonald’s All-Americans.

So when Allonzo Trier struggled over the Wildcats’ first two games of the Wooden Legacy bracketed play last weekend, despite earning two gold medals with USA Basketball and appearing in last April’s McDonald’s game, UA coach Sean Miller stayed cool.

Sure enough, Trier re-emerged on Sunday. The freshman wing had 13 points on 5-for-6 shooting and made four trips
to the free-throw line in the Wildcats’ win over Boise State in the Wooden Legacy third-place game.

“That’s an example of somebody who’s a heck of a talent,” Miller said of Johnson. “Allonzo is getting better. He works really hard at it every day. These guys (UA players) well tell you there’s nobody who invests more in becoming a good player than Allonzo.”
http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... ebd79.html" target="_blank
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

scumdevils86 wrote:this is jefe after all. should probably put a watch on him or anyone he's associated with.
Outta line SD. Keep it in PRB.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Puerco wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:this is jefe after all. should probably put a watch on him or anyone he's associated with.
Outta line SD. Keep it in PRB.
Some comment from July? Alrighty then
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

This went nowhere.