Mark Tollefsen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Mark Tollefsen

Post by CalStateTempe »

I knew from day one after hearing, reading, and watching his highlights that he was going to be a CAT.

He's perfect for what we need.

His nickname should be "the Don" :)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
salim'sheadband wrote:To me, Tollefsen has the hallmarks of a really good offensive player. Granted his number came against WCC teams but he was his team's first option every night. 38% career three-point shooter, including last season. Made 42 last year which would have been one behind Stanley for second-most on the team. Also shot 60% from 2 and 48% on two-point jumpers. 60% EFG, 61% TSP.

Scored 18 and 21 against Gonzaga in his last two matchups against them last year. Also scored 22 at BYU.

Happy to have a solid backup PF. Welcome to the family Mark!

He's not going to start at the 3? His body type seems more than capable. Smith is untested, too skinny and injured.
If Tollefsen doesn't start I imagine we will go with 3 guards.
Seems like a stretch four all the way to me. I've heard varying opinions on his defensive prowess but I doubt he has the lateral quickness. Maybe he'll surprise me.

Either way Pitts should be redshirting this year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Welcome aboard, Tollefsen!

We have a lot of talent, but Miller will earn his money figuring out how to make it mesh. Right now, Zeus, Ristic and PJC are the only guys who can only play one position only. Everyone else is a 2-3 position guy. How rotations emerge should be fascinating.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Is it too soon to start a "Tollefsen Chemistry Problem?" thread?
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:I have no idea if Tollefsen can guard a 3 for the same reasons Ashley couldn't defend a 3, but maybe he can. I know for sure Anderson can not play the 3 and Comanche can't play the 4. Remember you are what you can defend. Smaller more athletic wings can defend 4s way better than bigger less athletic natural 4 men can defend wings. I understand Tollefsen isn't a stiff athletically, but that doesn't mean he has the lateral ability to defend quicker smaller guys. I suppose we'll see.
He covered forwards and guards at USF. Better foot speed than Ashley. Not as strong. Better off the dribble. Doesn't rebound as well. Has played the 3.
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I have no idea if Tollefsen can guard a 3 for the same reasons Ashley couldn't defend a 3, but maybe he can. I know for sure Anderson can not play the 3 and Comanche can't play the 4. Remember you are what you can defend. Smaller more athletic wings can defend 4s way better than bigger less athletic natural 4 men can defend wings. I understand Tollefsen isn't a stiff athletically, but that doesn't mean he has the lateral ability to defend quicker smaller guys. I suppose we'll see.
He covered forwards and guards at USF. Better foot speed than Ashley. Not as strong. Better off the dribble. Doesn't rebound as well. Has played the 3.
I'll take your word for it Gumby. Maybe a serious candidate to start at the 3 if that's all accurate.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Then why not consider the possibility that Miller might start him at the 3 to help bring along Smith in a backup role?
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Not a SF guys.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.44.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 1.44.17 PM.png (217.95 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

For anyone who's watched Tollefsen, is there another player you'd liken his game to?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ZONACAT wrote:Not a SF guys.
Still have no idea if he is or not, but the fact he played center that much shows more personnel issues for San Francisco than definitive information that he can not play small forward at another school where they have capable players over the height of 6'7.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

Coach Miller said he would play some SF but what does he know, he didn't make a chart :roll:
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Still have no idea if he is or not, but the fact he played center that much shows more personnel issues for San Francisco than definitive information that he can not play small forward at another school where they have capable players over the height of 6'7.
This
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

6'3 starting SF? You dont even see that at some high schools. I know Derksons an Amphi kid
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

rgdeuce wrote:6'3 starting SF? You dont even see that at some high schools. I know Derksons an Amphi kid

C- 6'6 Jesse Perry
PF - 6'6 Solo HIll
SF - 6'3 Kyle Fogg

good for 23 wins!
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

ChooChooCat wrote:
"I see what you mean"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:6'3 starting SF? You dont even see that at some high schools. I know Derksons an Amphi kid

C- 6'6 Jesse Perry
PF - 6'6 Solo HIll
SF - 6'3 Kyle Fogg

good for 23 wins!
And so why not put 6'-4" 190 pound Trier at the 3?
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Right. Hassan Adams played the 4 at times, because we didn't have one. Linked twice to an article that discusses him. He's versatile. Also, he's checked Carlino, Haws, Wiltjer. We have size. Won't be pressed into service as a 5. I'll be surprised if he's strictly a Craig Victor replacement at the 4.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
1stNGrant Frys wrote:

C- 6'6 Jesse Perry
PF - 6'6 Solo HIll
SF - 6'3 Kyle Fogg

good for 23 wins!
Essentially the same size as Dickerson.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:For anyone who's watched Tollefsen, is there another player you'd liken his game to?
Google him. Watch video. Make your own comparison.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Then why not consider the possibility that Miller might start him at the 3 to help bring along Smith in a backup role?
Are you sensing resistance from me. I'm open to it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
1stNGrant Frys wrote:

C- 6'6 Jesse Perry
PF - 6'6 Solo HIll
SF - 6'3 Kyle Fogg

good for 23 wins!
Essentially the same size as Dickerson.
Could just as easily get away with a 6'3 195 pound Kadeem Allen at the 3 due to the 6'9 wingspan too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Are you sensing resistance from me. I'm open to it.
I know you're not resistant. I'm just trying to get a sense for the flexibility that might be under consideration. The coaches are figuring all this out long before us, but they aren't going to tell us until October.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

azgreg wrote:
Good news. Can't wait to see the new rotation on the court doing their thing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:For anyone who's watched Tollefsen, is there another player you'd liken his game to?
Damn. Sorry I asked.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I know you're not resistant. I'm just trying to get a sense for the flexibility that might be under consideration. The coaches are figuring all this out long before us, but they aren't going to tell us until October.
More time to speculate. Less time to second guess. Gonna be a shit ton of threads urging a different starting lineup, regardless. Must be some way to monetize this.
Last edited by gumby on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:
gumby wrote:
Damn. Sorry I asked.
Hurry. So I can ask you.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Forget about size in a vacuum. Duke just won a title with a 6-6 power forward. Michigan St. just made (another) Final Four with a 6-9 center and a 6-6 power forward. The best players need to just play. We're going to have a bunch of good players 6-4 or smaller. Maybe Tollefsen has the lateral quickness to play and happens to be our best option at the three. Maybe not. If our best lineup is running three smaller guys out there that's what we're going to do.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bump

Let's get this party started.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Fairly confident he's a starter, at least initially.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Two Star Scooby.
Zero Star Tolly.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

C'mon, now. Isn't it time to give Tolly some love?

While his role would have literally been perfect as the backup to Ray and RA, with Trier's emergence lately it looks like he'll finally be able to slide into the role he was meant to have on this team which is to provide energy (dude crashes the offensive boards relentlessly - hasn't always worked ie over the back fouls but it's needed), defense (he helped slow down Wiltjer a lot in the second half), and (I actually believe this) the ability to hit the 3 off the bench.

Yes, I said it, the three. He is close. His two 3 pt attemps against Gonzaga were close, and I just think he's going to find his stroke eventually. I am less concerned about this as I am with Pitts, who seems like he might never make a three again in his life.

Regardless, Tolly is starting to figure it out just like a few of the other guys on this team and I am looking forward to when it all clicks. The defense in the second half against Gonzaga was about as good as it gets, the whole team worked as a cohesive unit like we have come to expect. Let's hope the offense starts to really figure it out and that they are clicking come PAC play because there are a lot of flawed teams in our conference and I think we can take advantage.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dcZONAfan wrote:C'mon, now. Isn't it time to give Tolly some love?

While his role would have literally been perfect as the backup to Ray and RA, with Trier's emergence lately it looks like he'll finally be able to slide into the role he was meant to have on this team which is to provide energy (dude crashes the offensive boards relentlessly - hasn't always worked ie over the back fouls but it's needed), defense (he helped slow down Wiltjer a lot in the second half), and (I actually believe this) the ability to hit the 3 off the bench.

Yes, I said it, the three. He is close. His two 3 pt attemps against Gonzaga were close, and I just think he's going to find his stroke eventually. I am less concerned about this as I am with Pitts, who seems like he might never make a three again in his life.

Regardless, Tolly is starting to figure it out just like a few of the other guys on this team and I am looking forward to when it all clicks. The defense in the second half against Gonzaga was about as good as it gets, the whole team worked as a cohesive unit like we have come to expect. Let's hope the offense starts to really figure it out and that they are clicking come PAC play because there are a lot of flawed teams in our conference and I think we can take advantage.
His defense looked a little better vs Gonzaga, but I think a lot of that was the collective unit looking better. I'm only jumping for joy on the bench demotion because it means less minutes. As for his deep shot, not holding my breath, he has an ugly release and I want him to stop shooting them altogether. He cant be shooting much higher than 20 percent from three at this point. If we are looking at close three's Kadeem Allen and Pitts should be in the same boat, and both have better releases that would likely call for more consistency. He just needs to go in, give his best on D, chill with the over-aggressive offensive board attempts, and focus on doing damage inside 15 feet. He is incredibly efficient in that area and would be shooting in the mid 60s if he stopped chucking 3's.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Sean is quite happy with Tolly. I must say that when I made that post about 10 days ago I wasn't necessarily envisioning this but man if Tolly is playing this way we can go a long way.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I'd like to see Tolly perform better against legit competition ..... We all know he can dominate WCC level opponents.

But he truly does look like a great glue guy , which is what u want out of your 6th man.

When I think about this team w Ray Smith at full strength ..... Man.

Even w just Kaleb getting back to 100% along w our other guys I really think this team can make a deep run in March.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PennZona20 wrote:I'd like to see Tolly perform better against legit competition ..... We all know he can dominate WCC level opponents.
He has made some improvements, but I am with you on this. If you look at his last two games on paper, you say damn, 17 and 19 points. But both were weak opponents and blowout games. The Missouri game he racked up a majority of those points in garbage minutes with the game incredibly out of hand. Same thing last night, the majority came in the 2nd half when 1/3 of the arena had already left because it was like watching someone get kicked 100 times after they already were on the ground and unconscious.

I took my buddy to the game last night, NAU grad. He had several "ewww" comments out loud for Tollefsen on the offensive end in the first half, not including the form on his shot. I pointed out to him that my biggest gripe is on the defensive end, largely pertaining to his defensive positioning and "insecurity" in that positioning. Aside from him being in the wrong place a lot of the time, his head constantly rocks left to right like he is lost, unsure of where his man is and where he needs to be and where the ball is, and he physically bounces back and forth. Slight head turns are fine but ideally it should mostly be just your eyes, but he completely loses sight of either the ball or his man as he does this. That is a huge reason why he reacts slowly. The other is the bobbing back and forth. If his momentum is going left as the ball handler passes to his man to the right, he has to land, then go close out. That half second or more is the difference in getting a clean look, or him being late and having to compensate and the ball handler can go around him with the dribble. His closeouts in general are bad and these make it even worse. His help D drives me mad too. Too many times he is stuck in no man's land. If it isn't that, he commits when it isn't needed or commits and gives half-assed help.

I will say this though, he took a smaller player from the right wing down low with his dribble and some backing down, then put on a really nice move and sunk the shot. It was very pretty and I wish he would do that more often, especially with the right match up. He also has the athleticism, skill set and finesse to do this to the slower guys
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Pretty sure Tolly had 13 points at the half last night, so not sure how the majority of his points came in the second half w/ 1/3 of the arena gone.

You just can't seem to get over your initial impressions of Tolly and, from the way you comment on him, it almost seems like you only watch him whenever he is in and notice literally everything you "perceive" he does wrong. All I saw last night (didn't get to see the Mizzou game) was a dude who had a great game, might be our 2nd best FT shooter and offensive rebounder, is starting to gain confidence in his shot. It's like he is expected to be 100% comfortable from day one because "he's a 5th year senior!" and all that thinking is doing is cheapening the idea that CSM's system is DIFFICULT to learn, no matter who you are.

I'm impressed by Tolly and can't wait to see the impact he is making on games come March
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

I'll remain skeptical of Tollefsen until we're in a dogfight against a really good team and he steps up and is a key player in crunch time.
Can't knock him for having good games against crappy opponents (and NAU is unquestionably the worst team we'll face this season...Chico State included).
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

carolinacat wrote:I'll remain skeptical of Tollefsen until we're in a dogfight against a really good team and he steps up and is a key player in crunch time.
Can't knock him for having good games against crappy opponents (and NAU is unquestionably the worst team we'll face this season...Chico State included).

We'll see how he does tomorrow. T should be feeling confident, ready to step it up.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dcZONAfan wrote:Pretty sure Tolly had 13 points at the half last night, so not sure how the majority of his points came in the second half w/ 1/3 of the arena gone.

You just can't seem to get over your initial impressions of Tolly and, from the way you comment on him, it almost seems like you only watch him whenever he is in and notice literally everything you "perceive" he does wrong. All I saw last night (didn't get to see the Mizzou game) was a dude who had a great game, might be our 2nd best FT shooter and offensive rebounder, is starting to gain confidence in his shot. It's like he is expected to be 100% comfortable from day one because "he's a 5th year senior!" and all that thinking is doing is cheapening the idea that CSM's system is DIFFICULT to learn, no matter who you are.

I'm impressed by Tolly and can't wait to see the impact he is making on games come March
Well then I stand corrected on the NAU game, I must have misremembered. As for everything else, don't be silly, I want the dude to succeed, we need him. I'm not ready to say he is gaining confidence in his shot - he is just two games removed from 1-6 (1-4) and he has two combined 3's vs Missouri and NAU. His improved numbers from the floor are due to his work inside 15 feet. Feel free to read through this thread and read my numerous references and compliments to his game within that range. I hope that is something he is realizing and he continues to assert himself in that range, because that is where he is very strong and will help us. I want his work load in that range to increase, im praying for it. Not sure on some of the other stuff though: Dusan is our second best offensive rebounder and will be 3rd when Zeus returns. Tolly is statistically our best FT shooter, but the issue is him getting to the line. He is 8th in FT attempts, behind PJC, and he only has three more attempts than Justin Simon who has played 1/4 of his minutes.

And I don 't expect him to be 100 percent comfortable from day one and I understand he is in a new defensive system. But as a 5th year senior you WOULD expect him to understand basic man-to-man principles and just basic defensive principles in general. Some of the things discussed above are things you are taught as a high school freshman at the latest. If you give the effort defensively and are in the right place and just don't have the foot speed to keep up, fine. Poor technique, especially when you have had four high school seasons and four college seasons, he should be held to a high standard and he should be able to do those basic things. If it is me "perceiving" what he does wrong, I am curious of your "perception" as to why he has been so bad defensively almost all year.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

dcZONAfan wrote:Pretty sure Tolly had 13 points at the half last night, so not sure how the majority of his points came in the second half w/ 1/3 of the arena gone.

Yes, Tolly had 13 at the half.

If Mark has another good game tonight against Always-Ready-For-US UNLV who has already beaten two Top-15 teams this year, I'm cooking a huge serving of Crow for the naysayers on this board. RSVP Only!
You know who you are.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Time to bump Tolly back to the first page. This was the dude we were all expecting. Great week for him
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:Time to bump Tolly back to the first page. This was the dude we were all expecting. Great week for him
Good bump rgdeuce! Tolly had a hell of a week and let's hope he continues this trend. Bear Down.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

This team is really coming together and tolly is gonna play a great role as he is finally showing he is capable of. BTFD