Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Stanley Johnson

Post by 97cats »

instant high impact player

Johnson's motor & physicality is off the charts, but its his vision and passing that makes him a dynamic ALL-around prospect

from the start --

McConnell
Johnson
Hollis-Jefferson
Ashley
Tarczewski

MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE
Chicat

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE
And that's just his hair!

:lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's going to be hard to make impact. TJ leads. RHJ could be an all american. If Ashley's healthy, he'll be dominant. Zeus will be a rock in the middle. Things like vision and unselfishness should be hallmarks, because we'll have a 5 headed monster, where every head can beat you any night.

SJ is the next in line of solid character guys to go from highly rated high schooler, to Wildcat, to pro.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I remember being so depressed, just over 2 months ago...from depression comes excitement.

October 18th...hurry...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Adam Silver needs to get off his ass and complete the 2 year rule. And SJ better not pull a Jennings after 1 year
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Jefe wrote:Adam Silver needs to get off his ass and complete the 2 year rule. And SJ better not pull a Jennings after 1 year
You mean the CBA contract needs to get off its ass and expire...
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Jefe wrote:Adam Silver needs to get off his ass and complete the 2 year rule. And SJ better not pull a Jennings after 1 year
You mean the CBA contract needs to get off its ass and expire...
Four years early.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Unfortunately, I have a feeling he will be pretty busy dealing with Sterling over the next 3-6 months to even think about changing this rule.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Unfortunately, I have a feeling he will be pretty busy dealing with Sterling over the next 3-6 months to even think about changing this rule.
Sterling will be out by the start of free agency. Shelly has the probate hearing set for the week before the owner vote on the sale approval. Dont see any way Sterling gets out of this with three separate doctors admitting he has signs of early Alzheimer's.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Zero

Post by Zero »

[youtube]BEuPdiSmtwA[/youtube]

Tried to embed this but not working.

Edit: Fixed it for you - Chicat
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Stanley Johnson = best player at U18
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:Stanley Johnson = best player at U18
That would be the second year in a row Arizona could claim that.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

yes, however last yr, Aaron Gordon was the best player at Team USA U19 while only being 17
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:yes, however last yr, Aaron Gordon was the best player at Team USA U19 while only being 17
I consider AG to be the prototype of what you want in a recruit, so I will take all similarities that I can get.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

it's a good comparison -- I just was pointing out what I thought was an interesting extra tidbit
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I am as excited, probably actually more, to see Stanley in a Cat uniform as I was with AG.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:it's a good comparison -- I just was pointing out what I thought was an interesting extra tidbit
That is something that gets lost with AG. That's one reason why I don't freak out about his jump shot struggles in terms of his pro development. He is a hard worker, has a great motor and is younger than most one and dones. It's not like he's Shabazz Muhammad and halfway to social security.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Stanley Johnson is very young too actually. All 3 of Tyler Dorsey, Isaiah Briscoe, and Allonzo Trier are older than Stanley.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:Stanley Johnson is very young too actually. All 3 of Tyler Dorsey, Isaiah Briscoe, and Allonzo Trier are older than Stanley.
You just converted a new Arizona fan.

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Future Wildcat Johnson opening eyes at Team USA camp

3 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — A veteran of USA Basketball youth teams, incoming Arizona Wildcats wing Stanley Johnson showed up for U18 trials this week a new man.

Already known for a powerful 6-foot-6-inch, 225-pound body — despite saying he never lifts weights — Johnson showed up at the U.S. Olympic Training Center this week and weighed in at 243 pounds.

“That was with my backpack on,” Johnson said. “I’m about 237.”

But if the difference in Johnson this month isn’t obvious in his measurements, it is in the subtleties of his game. Not only has Johnson gained from a number of different experiences — playing for USA teams, the well-regarded Oakland Soldiers travel team and for powerhouse Mater Dei High School — he worked on his perimeter skills heavily in his final season of high school.

UA coach Sean Miller noticed the difference.

“I think Stanley is a very underappreciated ballhandler and passer,” Miller said. “He’s played against every player you can possibly imagine, and one of the things that’s really developed is his ability to handle the ball and pass.

For somebody of that size, it’s quite a difference. … He has one of those bodies not everyone has.

The chance to watch and work with Johnson’s emerging talent this month is a bonus for Miller, who is an assistant coach on the U18 team that is preparing for the FIBA Americas U18 Championship starting Friday.

Not only will the two get to know each other on the court for the first time, after years of off-the-court conversations, but Miller also expects to get a better idea of what the Wildcats really have with Johnson.

http://azstarnet.com/sports/basketball/ ... ff2fa.html
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Sonora919

Post by Sonora919 »

Olsondogg wrote:I am as excited, probably actually more, to see Stanley in a Cat uniform as I was with AG.
Exactly. In a different way, but still just as excited if not more so due to the fact that he should have a bigger impact on offense. He is definitely going to be a fun one to watch.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

97cats wrote:instant high impact player

Johnson's motor & physicality is off the charts, but its his vision and passing that makes him a dynamic ALL-around prospect

from the start --

McConnell
Johnson
Hollis-Jefferson
Ashley
Tarczewski

MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE

Exciting stuff. If RHJ can shoot that 15 foot J, and BA back no telling how good
this team can be. Pretty damn scary. :D
gumby

Post by gumby »

He should play with a backpack on, just to make it fair. Plus, he'd be more massive.
Right where I want to be.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

[youtube]z-BiQAlnDR8[/youtube]
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Two quick thoughts...

DAMN SHE'S FINE!!!

Oh, and uh Stanley Johnson is a very well-spoken young man who will represent the University of Arizona with class and distinction.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
etank34

Post by etank34 »

Kansas is such a joke. That is all.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

those two clowns tell you everything you need to know about Kansas -- perfectly framed
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat wrote:DAMN SHE'S FINE!!!
5'8" All-American at Old Dominion

YES PLEASE

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.db ... =208424667
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Is that your motivation -- to come out and ball?"
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:those two clowns tell you everything you need to know about Kansas -- perfectly framed
Bill Self told me everything a long time ago.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

That interview pretty much solidifies in my mind that SJ is a Miller guy through and through. Reminds me a bit of Rondae.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

[youtube]vACHK4GdMAA[/youtube]

Is there a settings that would allow us to go full screen mode with youtube videos?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

I don't mean to sound too critical, after all it's almost five months before the season starts, but hasn't Stanley Johnson's performance on the USA18 team been a bit disappointing . His numbers seem fine, but his attitude seems suspect. In all three games so far he's started off overly aggressive and prone to miscues and turnovers that have drawn the coaches immediate attention (and benching in the last game). Hopefully, everything goes better for him in the next upcoming game today. :)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Maybe Sean is taking an early opportunity to mold him and show what the expectations will be when he dons an Arizona uniform.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Chicat wrote:Maybe Sean is taking an early opportunity to mold him and show what the expectations will be when he dons an Arizona uniform.

Well SJ is giving CSM and CBD opportunities to coach him. Between,missed 'showtime' dunks, missed defensive assignments and 'non-focused' turnovers coach has much to comment on. I missed most of the first half so do not know how it went, but it's USA 51
DOM 29
(Halftime)

Sounds like our first real game ....
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

AG and RHJ had that wow factor immediately, mostly due to freakish athleticism, but I've yet to see the wow factor from SJ. My expectations are tempered, wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 3rd or 4th best player on the team (which is a complement).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bosy Billups wrote:AG and RHJ had that wow factor immediately, mostly due to freakish athleticism, but I've yet to see the wow factor from SJ. My expectations are tempered, wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 3rd or 4th best player on the team (which is a complement).
SJ lacks the wow factor, but that isn't a bad thing. Being consistent and productive across the board can get you further. For all the great things in last year, there were the frustrating stretches when we were playing two guys the D could drop 8 feet away from on the perimeter.

Next year, we will wow you with the fact that we are physically imposing, big, strong and quick 1-5. Then we will wow you with the guys off the bench who are also long, strong and talented. None of that will make for as many highlight dunks as this year, but there are other kinds of highlights, ones where nets are cut down.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Main Event wrote:
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

97cats wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Wow!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

It is crazy to think that after witnessing the brilliant freshman campaign by Aaron Gordon, that we very we'll might be getting a player who will help our team even more than he did.

This years roster is position by position, the most complete roster in Arizona history and I will stick to that. Roles are clearly defined, no one will be playing a position out of their natural skill set, and our depth will be gnarly.

God forbid another injury, no team in the nation is on our level besides Kentucky...if they manage egos. The duke hype is just dumb, same with Kansas. In a perfect year, we are playing Kentucky in the championship.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Two quick thoughts...

DAMN SHE'S FINE!!!

Oh, and uh Stanley Johnson is a very well-spoken young man who will represent the University of Arizona with class and distinction.
Well spoken? You're lucky I can't figure out how to copy Chris Rock stand up routines on my wife's phone.

And SJ should rep Arizona well on all levels.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Well spoken? You're lucky I can't figure out how to copy Chris Rock stand up routines on my wife's phone.
Yes, well-spoken. You know, as opposed to Johnny "mush mouth" Manziel.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »