Irish27

Ray Smith will miss the 2015-16 with torn ACL

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Re: Ray Smith will miss the 2015-16 with torn ACL

Post by UAEebs86 »

That sucks. Get well soon.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

WTF?

Did this just happen
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh my, heart goes out to the kid
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

That is just unreal. Absolutely brutal for the team and especially the kid.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck

Get well Ray. We'll need you next year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Speechless
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Welp. Poor kid. Probably will never play a minute at Arizona now. Huge blow to the teams chances this year though. Too bad we will never see him play here
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ASUHATER! wrote:Welp. Poor kid. Probably will never play a minute at Arizona now. Huge blow to the teams chances this year though. Too bad we will never see him play here

Slow down
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Welp. Poor kid. Probably will never play a minute at Arizona now. Huge blow to the teams chances this year though. Too bad we will never see him play here

Slow down
Nothing I said warrants a slow down. He was the most likely one and done and now his basketball career is more than likely over...so slow down on what? makes absolutely no sense to think he'll ever play a minute here.

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Doubt he goes pro now, either way this really sucks.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He will still be able to play basketball man. His athleticism may never be the same, but all that does is makes him a face up 4 instead of a 3.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

You are seriously THE most pessimistic person I have ever encountered.

And I have a 97 year old Jewish grandmother.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:He will still be able to play basketball man. His athleticism may never be the same, but all that does is makes him a face up 4 instead of a 3.
In rec leagues? Not in major college basketball.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:You are seriously THE most pessimistic person I have ever encountered.

Do you have some inside info on a medical miracle or treatment that he's getting?

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:He will still be able to play basketball man. His athleticism may never be the same, but all that does is makes him a face up 4 instead of a 3.
In rec leagues? Not in major college basketball.
If Jawaan McClellan who had absolutely no cartilage in his knee was able to play major college basketball then so would Ray Smith at a position where lateral and knee movement isn't as required as his previous one. You're being god damn ridiculous.

This isn't a pitcher having tommy John surgery in the 90s.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How could luck be this bad? All you can hope is he'll recover just as well this time as last. That's likely, as is his return next year, but I feel for the kid.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Come on Hater, way to soon to say that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Nuts.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

The number of NBA players who have had multiple knee surgeries may very well be in the triple digits. This isn't a career ender. It hurts. It's a setback. But if he has the skills many say, with his height, add some smarts and a few years of good coaching, and he'll be on the radar. He'll need to prove health. That's the trick, but I'd be more concerned about meniscus or cartilage.

It does feel like McClellan. But that story had so much more than just injury.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Blake Griffin is multiple knee injuries before he ever played a minute in the League.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Is there a way to "Ignore" users here. I've had enough of this douchebag ASUhater's posts
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

Wow. Devastating for the kid and the team.

Especially after hearing how well he was doing in practice.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:The number of NBA players who have had multiple knee surgeries may very well be in the triple digits. This isn't a career ender. It hurts. It's a setback. But if he has the skills many say, with his height, add some smarts and a few years of good coaching, and he'll be on the radar. He'll need to prove health. That's the trick, but I'd be more concerned about meniscus or cartilage.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Blake Griffin is multiple knee injuries before he ever played a minute in the League.
Do you think he'd have the athleticism to be a 3 man still after two ACL tears or do you think a position change is in his future?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

JMarkJohns wrote:The number of NBA players who have had multiple knee surgeries may very well be in the triple digits. This isn't a career ender. It hurts. It's a setback. But if he has the skills many say, with his height, add some smarts and a few years of good coaching, and he'll be on the radar. He'll need to prove health. That's the trick, but I'd be more concerned about meniscus or cartilage.

Are you saying you have some inside info on a medical miracle or treatment that he's getting?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:

Are you saying you have some inside info on a medical miracle or treatment that he's getting?
I have a 97 year old Buick La Sabre.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Huge bummer. Really feel for the kid.
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

What an up and down offseason this year, damn. Sucks for the kid. Heard he was a sleeper for the 2016 draft too. Hopefully he comes back close to 100% next year and gives us a good year or two and is a lotto pick.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I have no inside information. But the kid was heralded as an elite athlete as recently as last week after one injury. I don't think something as routine as an ACL will end that. It's not the same knee. I have to think that matters. As of now, it's not requiring microfractures. It's not a meniscus that degenerate and eventually is destroyed. I've seen enough athletes not just survive this but thrive in spite that I'm depressed for the kid missing a second straight year of basketball, but I'm not fretting that his career is gone.

As for positional determinations, I have no idea until I see him play. Good news is the NBA is smaller and more versatile, so I think even if he's a 3/4 tweener, he'll have a place, especially if he becomes a knockdown shooter.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

isn't it the other knee? Medical reality these days is that a surgically repaired ACL is stronger than the one you are born with. The key factor is whether it was a clean tear or took meniscus/other ligaments with it. If it is a clean tear of the other knee, he will likely have a full recovery.

It is a shit load of work and sucks and I really feel for the kid. But without knowing that there was further knee damage, it is way out there to think his recovery is anything but 100%. And even if there is some other damage, as long as it is minor, he will be back equal to the effort he puts into it. And he knows what it takes.

But it is heartbreaking.. so much work ahead
Last edited by EVCat on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Feel bad for Ray, that kid was gonna have a great year.

I love all the experts on here.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dcZONAfan wrote:Is there a way to "Ignore" users here. I've had enough of this douchebag ASUhater's posts
Click on User Control Panel
Click on "Friends & Foes"
Click on "Manage Foes"
Click on "Find a member"
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

EVCat wrote:isn't it the other knee? Medical reality these days is that a surgically repaired ACL is stronger than the one you are born with. The key factor is whether it was a clean tear or took meniscus/other ligaments with it. If it is a clean tear of the other knee, he will likely have a full recovery.

It is a shit load of work and sucks and I really feel for the kid. But without knowing that there was further knee damage, it is way out there to think his recovery is anything but 100%. And even if there is some other damage, as long as it is minor, he will be back equal to the effort he puts into it. And he knows what it takes.

I have read it is the other knee, and that there is also a tear on the mcl...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Alieberman wrote:You are seriously THE most pessimistic person I have ever encountered.

Do you have some inside info on a medical miracle or treatment that he's getting?
Do you?

The Interwebz are filled with people who are completely full of $hit. But you have a unique ability to represent opinions very confidently while you talk out of your ass.

Olsondogg pretty much nailed it immediately above... and that comes after speaking tonight for about 10-15 minutes with a friend of mine who is an orthopedic surgeon. Apparently, currently about 60-70% of athletes who suffer from a torn ACL return to 100%... That is much improved from several years ago. Even if you treat this as a purely statistical problem (which in this case I am not sure is appropriate), that would suggest the likelihood of his return to 100% at 36-49%.

It depends on the specific nature of the injury, and also his resolve in battling back from this after having just gone through the exact same thing, that isn't easy for even the most tough minded and determined adult, let alone a kid of 18 years old.

Do you have a rain cloud that hovers over your head even when indoors?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Olsondogg wrote:
EVCat wrote:isn't it the other knee? Medical reality these days is that a surgically repaired ACL is stronger than the one you are born with. The key factor is whether it was a clean tear or took meniscus/other ligaments with it. If it is a clean tear of the other knee, he will likely have a full recovery.

I have read it is the other knee, and that there is also a tear on the mcl...
It's the other knee. Where did you hear it damaged MCL? So long as it avoids cartilage and meniscus, I'm not really concerned longterm. Smith has proven dedication to the process and grind and shown he can come back stronger. While a bit more concerning about doubles damage, ACL/MCL is something many athletes have come back from, many more multiple times.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Read a few tweets. Looks like it traces back to PGU. So take it for what's its worth
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Olsondogg wrote:Read a few tweets. Looks like it traces back to PGU. So take it for what's its worth
I've read everything from everyone I follow (not anyone affiliated with PGU) and haven't read the further damage. Hoping it's clean. If it's clean I'm not worried at all. Bump in the road. If it impacts surroundings, a bit more concern, but until I hear Meniscus or Microfracture, I'm confident Smith will return at a high level.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

@BLUEChip_Miller: Sad news. Arizona freshman Ray Smith has torn his ACL and MCL, according to @UofAPointGuardU.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Olsondogg wrote:@BLUEChip_Miller: Sad news. Arizona freshman Ray Smith has torn his ACL and MCL, according to @UofAPointGuardU.
Seems like if that were true everyone would be reporting it. Not saying it's not. And PGU has certainly bought inside info before. But no other entity is saying MCL as well.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Either way, what an undeserved double whammy. So many ACL tears in Arizona athletics, so little luck.

And EVERYBODY should be rooting for Ray Smith to make a full recovery, regardless of where he plays, or when. Doubling down on the pessimism only makes you look twice as selfish.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Jason is deferring talks on MCL until official release tomorrow.

That suggests to me it may be true. I'd think if he's heard nothing or knew for certain, he'd say just ACL. Maybe not, but the fact he's not willing to rule it out isn't the news I wanted to hear.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

This sucks....terrible news. Wish him well and a speedy recovery. Damn :-(
az91

Post by az91 »

This is awful news. I hope he can make a full recovery, but with severe injuries like this, you never can say for sure.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Good grief this is ugly news. Hang in there kid.

edit add link

Jason Scheer
Yesterday at 8:34 PM

Sources tell WildcatAuthority.com that freshman forward Ray Smith has torn his ACL and is out for the rest of the season.

Smith tore his right ACL in practice this week after tearing his left ACL last summer.

There haven’t been many guys on Arizona’s roster that have been practicing as well as Smith and sources say he was pushing for a starting spot.

In fact, one NBA scout recently told us that he projected Smith to go in the NBA lottery after one year of college if practice was any indication.

Stay tuned to WildcatAuthority.com and what it means for Arizona moving forward.

http://www.scout.com/college/arizona/st ... nee-injury" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
az91

Post by az91 »

I think this only happens if Ray decides to walk away from the game, and that probably only happens if the latest injury is very severe.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Slow down
Nothing I said warrants a slow down. He was the most likely one and done and now his basketball career is more than likely over...so slow down on what? makes absolutely no sense to think he'll ever play a minute here.
I haven't seen anything that suggests he was a sure thing one and done.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Bad news for us...

... worse news for him.

I sure hope he recovers and can resume play and former expectations (solely for his sake).
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
gumby

Post by gumby »

scumdevils86 wrote:Huge bummer. Really feel for the kid.
Is this about Smith or your brother's chronic negative knee-jerking?

Anyway, dammit!
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Slow down
I haven't seen anything that suggests he was a sure thing one and done.
Don't even understand the relevance of that. Those guys don't heal? Not allowed to stay longer once affixed with "one and done" tag? Perhaps Hater will explain in his special Eeyore voice.
Right where I want to be.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

MCL too, if true, will add time to the recovery, but not really be as impact full to the ability to return to 100% as meniscus tear would be. The ligaments are replaceable, the cartilage not.

What a shitty thing to have happen twice. I watched my 14 year old go through the ACL rehab as nothing more than a motivated club/high school soccer player, and the work was pretty intense, and the periods of doubt common. Ray has the good and bad of having done it before: the good is he has done it before and knows what it takes to get back to 100%, and the bad is he has done it before, and knows what it takes to get to 100%. He will have top medical care. One of the biggest early issues is returning full flexibility/range of motion. These days, they have ACL patients working to that fresh off the operating table. The MCL, if true, will delay that somewhat, and that is worth concern. But kid can and, I believe given his access to top medical staff, will be back in an Arizona uni
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

By no means am I an orthopedic surgeon or expert, but isn't it very typical that if the ACL and MCL both tear that the medial meniscus typically does as well?