Rhapsody

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

salim'sheadband

Rhapsody

Post by salim'sheadband »

Critically acclaimed.

That’s how Bill Simmons described the Seven Seconds or Less Suns. Great team. Never won anything that really mattered. Like a movie you look back on 10 years later and think “Man, that movie never won any Academy Awards?” On all the top ten lists. Great actors. Good director. And you’ll be able to win some money off of your buddies someday betting that it was at least nominated for Best Picture when it wasn’t.

Want another way to define critically acclaimed? Sixty-seven wins in two seasons at a power conference school without a Final Four. Mike Krzyzewski won at least 67 games twice, winning 69 from 1997-99, and 67 from 2009-11, but he made one title game and won another in that span. John Calipari did it twice, winning 67 from 2010-12 and 2013-15, making four Final Fours and winning a national championship. Bill Self won 70 from 2006-08, winning a championship, and 67 from 2010-12, making another, only missing when he won 68 from 2009-11. Billy Donovan won 68 in two years in which he won back-to-back national titles. Rick Pitino won 69 going to back-to-back title games. Roy Williams won 67 from 2006-08 when he went to a Final Four, and then 70 when he bookended that 2007-08 Final Four with a title in 2009.

Jim Calhoun never won 67 games in back-to-back seasons. The most he won was 66 from 1997-99 when he won his first title. Tom Izzo never did it, winning 65 from 1998-2000 when he went to a Final Four and won a title the next year. Jim Boeheim never did it, winning 64 from 2011-13, the year he went to his fourth Final Four. Lute Olson never did it, winning 64 from 1987-89, when he went to his second Final Four.

There are undoubtedly others I am forgetting, but you see where I’m going with this. From 2013-15 Sean Miller won 67 games, tied for the most in the country with a team—Kentucky—that went to two Final Fours. Sean Miller, and the Arizona Wildcats, for the fifth straight time after making the Elite Eight, did not advance to a Final Four. At least, unlike the previous four times, this time they spared their fans the agony of a last-second possession.

I have thought and re-thought and gone back and forth as to how I feel about the last two seasons, and finally decided I needed to write it out of my system. I loved Nick Johnson’s heart and determination even though he was less than a complete guard. I loved Aaron Gordon’s character and athleticism even though he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat. I loved TJ’s energy and passion, and the way he harassed and annoyed his way into his opponents’ hearts. I loved Stanley’s fire and talent, tempered by his decision-making and, as we discovered later, some of the personal burdens he carried with him. I loved Rondae’s smile and spidery arms and the barely-in-control way he careened through the lane like a young deer whose limbs weren’t quite working yet.

I loved the big wins and how hard we played, even if the offense was harder to watch than a crush video at times. I loved that we beat Duke at North Durham and heard U of A chants at Crisler Center in Michigan and ground Utah into dust at Huntsman and won the Pac-12 tournament, finally knocking that monkey off our back. I loved AG blocking Xavier Johnson into the netherworld and finishing off SDSU at Viejas with an alley-oop, and Stanley winning the Maui MVP, and TJ firing up the Cal crowd, even though we lost that game on Cobbs’s shot, and the dark ferocity of the McKale Center crowd when we took Gonzaga to overtime, and Rondae dunking on Mamadou N’Diaye, and Brandon winning Pac-12 tournament MVP, and Gabe York sinking Ohio St. with five three-pointers. I love how Brandon put his arm around Nick Johnson after the first Wisconsin loss and that we were able to think that we would get there next time, even though I know now that we didn’t. I loved TJ kissing the McKale Center court in his last game, proving true the age-old maxim that converts are the biggest fanatics. Even though I hated it, I loved that he cried when he lost to Wisconsin for the second time, because above all else, we project onto our athletes the attributes and emotions we hope we would have were we blessed enough to be in their position.

And, like Roy Williams said some time after we beat Kansas in 1997, I will probably go to my grave thinking about how at least one of those teams didn’t go to a Final Four.

I wish the Final Four didn’t mean so much, but it does. I can’t explain why. It’s just one more game. Why don’t our Elite Eights, divided by two, in the aggregate equal one Final Four? Why does it irritate me so much that, in the intro video, the number of Elite Eights increase while those Final Fours, announced by players now old enough to have grandchildren, stay static? I don’t know. But it does.

I am frustrated as hell that we couldn’t score the first time around. I am frustrated as hell that we couldn’t defend the second time around. I am frustrated that Nick Johnson gets called for an offensive foul that doesn’t get called 999 times out of 1,000. I am frustrated that a career 32% three-point shooter plays the game of his life. I am frustrated that both times, we left something on the court. We got beat.

Of course, we have Frank Kaminsky to thank for that. I want him to either be a star in the NBA or a total bust. Anything in the middle will annoy me. But I know that he’s going to be in the middle—a 8 point, 6 rebound guy for 10 years and everyone except his teammates and parents will forget he exists except for those times we remember the great Wisconsin teams, and their success that came, of course, at our expense.

I think of the contrast between these two Miller teams—which sort of glom together to one team in my mind, as they will with most people, who I think will swear that Stanley tossed an alley-oop to AG in one game years from now—and Olson’s teams. Olson played harder schedules top-to-bottom. The Pac-12 was also harder, generally, than it has been for Miller. As a result Miller put up somewhat gaudier stats, but his post-season results have been more consistent. Olson’s teams’ highs were higher and his lows were lower in the tournament. I think it would be hard for any of us to conceive of a Miller-coached team losing to a double-digit seed in the first round, as it is hard for any of us to conceive, as we sit here today, the moment when the clock strikes 00.00 on another Elite Eight game and we, FINALLY, are the ones cutting down the nets.

But we are consistent. Consistency is one of those double-edged buzzwords, either functioning as a compliment or, in the converse, to damn with faint praise. The ironic thing is that consistency was perhaps the word I would have used to describe Arizona during Olson’s tenure as well. Tournament every year. Final Four every four or so, at least until 2005 when the wheel broke and the space-time continuum diverged, throwing us into a parallel universe where, for reasons I don’t fully understand, we continue to pay in blood for our sins. Miller’s Arizona teams are consistent too. Exciting! You know who wasn’t consistent? UCONN. You know who has four national championships in 16 years? UCONN. I once heard Olson’s Arizona teams described as the (90s) Atlanta Braves. At least the Braves made it to the World Series.

So maybe consistency isn’t the greatest thing in the world. You can be consistently bad, mediocre, underachieving, disappointing. But if you unpack the consistency here, you find everything necessary to support the pillars of creation. Sean Miller has 94 wins over the past three seasons—most of any power conference school (behind Wichita St. and Gonzaga). He has 147 the past five seasons, behind the aforementioned Wichita St., Gonzaga, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and Louisville. The power conference quartet each has at least a Final Four apiece in that span. He has 163 wins in his six seasons here. Olson had 165 from 1988-93.

The tournament results are also (sigh) consistent. If Sean Miller makes a tournament, he’s getting to the second weekend. Whether he’s getting past that remains to be seen, although it would be historically unprecedented for him to never reach a Final Four. Not impossible, but unprecedented. It’s clear beyond doubt that Sean Miller is a very good—not perfect, but very good—basketball coach. He has been, and in all likelihood remains, notwithstanding the salvos of Cuonzo Martin and David Grace, a luminescent recruiter. He is young enough to continue to get better and adapt to and change the things he needs to change. But in six short years he’s basically gone through three eras already with Arizona (the Williams Era, the Hill-Johnson Era, and the TJ-Rondae Era) and has done well to very-well every time. There is really no reason to believe that he will suffer any measurable drop-off in the future.

But the last two years hurt. We won’t know how much they’ll hurt until some time has passed. Maybe 2016 or 2017 will bring something that will make the irritation of dim. Or maybe they’ll further cement the reputation of Miller as someone who only ever has to pack two suitcases.

On the other hand, the successes are why we are excited for the upcoming season. Or at least why I am. We’re basketball fans. I’m interested to see if Zeus steps up and becomes even half the player we always hoped he could be when he signed with us. Or if York becomes half the player the people around him thought he would be when he signed with us. What the transfers can do. What the young guys can do. Whether this is a team that is going to win the Pac, or whether it’s going to be a team we’re going to look at in February and think “Man, these guys are just outmanned across the board.” Maybe this is a year, not unlike a certain year a former Arizona coach had where expectations waned, will be the year Miller breaks through. Or maybe it won’t. But we are excited, because when you have a coach like Sean Miller, and a program like Arizona, that is your constant privilege. Hope springs eternal.

Regardless of what the future holds, I have no doubt that I will, eventually, look back with incredible fondness and pride on the sixty-seven-win era of Arizona basketball. Besides the memories, I think, above all else, it proved that Arizona was more than a one-coach program. It continued our great and important legacy in the NBA. The memories it did give us were mostly good and some bad, which is both life and a metaphor for life. The wondrous unfairness of it all, interspersed with fragments of rapture so exquisite they sustain you through all of the bad times that follow and retroactively make up for all the bad times that came before. Like the fisherman who I met sitting on a dock, rhapsodizing that one little tug on his line was enough to keep him out there all night. I didn’t know what he meant then. I do now. It almost sounds like art.

Critically acclaimed, indeed.
azcat49

Re: Rhapsody

Post by azcat49 »

This is ARIZONA. A players program. Nicely done Slim
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Good job, my friend. That was a great read.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

awesome stuff.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

When you look at the big picture, Arizona basketball is an impressive tapestry.
Looking back at the '11 season, it was in a sense an aberration. DWill had an unbelievable year and a different call here or there and we cut down the nets. But we were also damn lucky to survive the first two rounds. The role players on that team nearly cost us against Memphis. And the 5 second call against Texas, while I think correct, was damn fortunate as well. Kinda like the good fortune Wisky received on NJ's phantom b.s. foul.
So we overachieved in 2011.

We certainly haven't received any breaks in the tournament either. Wisky two years in a row? Really? I admire Michigan State, but damn they were fortunate to get the draw they got last year.

Our time will come. It has already come in some respects. Even Miller has referenced that if you knock on the door enough times, you'll get in. Maybe when you least expect it. Before the Smith injury, I would not have been surprised to see this team make a run in March. It could still happen. Lots of talent. Lots of weapons.

We're the victims of our own expectations. When the last several classes signed, we were making final four plans. The more I watched Brandon Ashley, the more I became convinced he's not that good of a player. He just isn't. I'm guessing his decision to leave had a lot to do with Ryan Anderson's play in practice, behind the scenes.

In many respects, Arizona was very much like the Braves of the 90's. Heck, back in '97 I was praying that Arizona would "finally" get past the final four and just make the title game. Not win it. Just get past that Saturday game where we were disappointed in '88 and '94. Just one more win. And then it happened.

Florida State football had an albatross around its neck for years. It was a top five program consistently. But they only won two titles under Bowden when clearly they were among the elite every year. A missed kick, another missed kick and you start to doubt yourself. FSU finally broke through. And then did it again. And again with a new coach.

Our program is in a very good place right now. The situation is fluid. Always has been. Always will be. There are no guarantees. Injuries happen. Athletes make stupid decisions. This has been going on for 30 years now at McKale Center. 30 years! It's been an amazing ride when you look back on the arc of success of this program. There is no reason to believe it won't continue...like a roller coaster at times with ups and downs. I can't think of any program anywhere in the Mountain or Pacific time zones that wouldn't trade places with Arizona right now.

Onward!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That was epic, sh. Epic.

Kaminsky will go down as Miller's Michael Doleac. How many of us are old enough to remember that name?

Anyway, Miller will get his FF. Probably when it's unexpected, like Lute's '97 team. It'll happen a year earlier or later than it's supposed to. But it'll happen.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Salim:

That would make an excellent front page blog post if you'd be cool with that...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Good stuff Salim! I am so grateful to be a Cats fan in this span of time. I remember the promise of Snowdon until we played UCLA in the tourney. Then the year of the name that shall not be mentioned and finally the hope of the Lute era. Love the Miller era and I know he will lead us to the promise land. If not, I have a lot of great memories cheering for this team. We are very blessed indeed!

edit: how many coaches have won 100 in 3 years?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

To provide actual context to this thread the only thing I have to say is Arizona basketball is one of if not the unluckiest very good to great programs in the nation. Whoever sold their soul to the devil for UCONN to have the success they've had must be a very important soul, because lord knows they don't deserve the horseshoe in the ass they have gotten repeatedly in the tournament. Wish someone would do the same for AZ basketball some time soon...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Good post.

I'll always believe that we were Brandon Ashley not landing on a Cal player's foot away from a national championship. UConn could not have competed with that team at full strength.

It happens, though. As depressing as the tourney exits have been, making Elite Eights and being ranked top 5 and #1 are true achievements. The effort players and coaches give to achieve that level of success is a credit to them.

It's hard to watch a NBA game without seeing an ex-Wildcat. There's never been a peep that Miller is in NCAA hot water. ASU still blows hard. The talent is still here, and more is on the way.

Even though it hasn't worked out in the tourney, this is as great a time to be an Arizona fan as there's ever been. We are lucky to have a program we can be proud of, instead of trying to talk ourselves into the Bobby Hurley era.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

UAdevil wrote:Salim:

That would make an excellent front page blog post if you'd be cool with that...
By all means.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I never get over shit.

I love the good times, but I always remember the fucking assholes that ruin shit for us. Kaminsky the latest, but fucking Najera, Steve fucking Nash, Doleac, JWill & Dunleavy & the officials, the whole fucking 2005 Illini team (you too Bill Fucking Murray).

Never forget. Fuck you Wisconsin.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Holy Hell do I love reading threads you start. First ballot Hall of Famer.

Thank you very much for that amigo. Fantastic read on a Friday morning.

Cheers.
ecurbh

Post by ecurbh »

Wonderfully written. You move me.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Well-done, Salim. Bet even Boeheim liked it. :mrgreen:
Right where I want to be.