Longhorned

Re: Kobi Simmons

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Image

+

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Zero chance. At least until after Saturday's announcement!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He looks really good. I'm just concerned as to why no one wants him.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASUHATER! wrote:He looks really good. I'm just concerned as to why no one wants him.

Little worried about that myself.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

azcat49 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:He looks really good. I'm just concerned as to why no one wants him.

Little worried about that myself.
UK already has two higher-ranked guards signed (how the f*/& do they DO that?!) so aren't interested.
tOSU backed out a day before his announcement and a day after the crystal ball had us going from a 4% chance to a 59% chance. Saving face, maybe?
UNLV just fired their coach -- I'm sure they'd still take Simmons if he committed, doncha think?

Arizona has always been on his list, and with UNLV going off we get bumped up. Not too strange. The only 'no one' who really doesn't want him is Kentucky. The filthy rich pigs.

EDIT: just want to rant a little more. I thought with 3 five stars if we get Simmons and Jackson that we'd have a shoo-in for top rated class. Then I saw Kentucky. Jerks. I know MSU looks good too, but I think ours would be competitive.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:He looks really good. I'm just concerned about everything, always.
Fixed it for you
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

luteformayor2 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:He looks really good. I'm just concerned about everything, always.
Fixed it for you
Doesn't answer my concern and is childish, but OK. Any actual insight?

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

luteformayor2 wrote:
Fixed it for you

Now that is funny. Nice job.

Just don't follow recruiting much, seems like a 5 star would have guys crawling all over him and now it seems we swoop in late and get him easily. No one even putting up resistance. Just kind-of weird.

Is he a 1 and done tyoe? A Dorset who other guys don't want to play with? Hard to handle parents?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Pretty easy to explain. You have been after the guy hard since 2014, before a lot of other schools. He's had you in his top 3. One of those schools, Kentucky, scored huge at both guard spots and need to use their last scholarship for a big. The other school just had their head coach fired. So clearly, you're the team, right? Out of nowhere, in comes Arizona. They didn't pull out once they heard Arizona was now in the mix, they pulled out once they heard the whole world say Arizona is probably going to be the team. It makes sense, u can't fault them, and u can't fault the kid. Who knows if it's100 percent accurate, but dude wanted Kentucky, bad. Ohio State was a fallback plan, and one that he obviously was not in love with. Or maybe even a bargaining chip he brought to the table to try to force Kentucky's hand, to make them jump before he was lost to Ohio State. To me, it clearly looks like he was going to be a running rebel if Rice wasn't fired.

And I am not the least bit concerned as a fan. He's a supreme talent, if he needs to be reeled in, Miller will do it, and he is on a team of good guys. If he doesn't, then we know what happens, and we have plenty of depth. And the whole kentucky thing, I don't care. If you meet a hot chick and she really wants your best friend, but he is like ehhhh, you going to be mad when she still thinks you are good looking as well and you are doing the horizontal bop with her knowing she really wanted your best friend? Not me.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:
Fixed it for you
Doesn't answer my concern and is childish, but OK. Any actual insight?
I've provided insight above, but you don't respond. Probably because you're working too hard being pessimistic to be bothered by facts. If that's the case, then stop asking.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azcat49 wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:
Fixed it for you

Just don't follow recruiting much, seems like a 5 star would have guys crawling all over him and now it seems we swoop in late and get him easily. No one even putting up resistance. Just kind-of weird.

Is he a 1 and done tyoe? A Dorset who other guys don't want to play with? Hard to handle parents?
Kentucky, Ohio State, Arizona, North Carolina, UNLV, Cincy, FSU, LSU, Memphis, Marquette, NC State, Providence, Syracuse, Tennessee, USC, Vandy, Virginia, Xavier... just some of the schools who have offered. And Miller is a witch. We will probably never know the story, but it sounds like they have been hanging in the background. The frontrunner never had a chance despite being a safe pick, one favorite rolled his ankle before the backstretch, and the Kentucky Derby winner was apathetic about even winning the race. It looks like Arizona is the pace horse that had a full tank of holy shit and took advantage of the three favorites various reasons for crapping out.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

rgdeuce wrote:
Pretty easy to explain. You have been after the guy hard since 2014, before a lot of other schools. He's had you in his top 3. One of those schools, Kentucky, scored huge at both guard spots and need to use their last scholarship for a big. The other school just had their head coach fired. So clearly, you're the team, right? Out of nowhere, in comes Arizona. They didn't pull out once they heard Arizona was now in the mix, they pulled out once they heard the whole world say Arizona is probably going to be the team. It makes sense, u can't fault them, and u can't fault the kid. Who knows if it's100 percent accurate, but dude wanted Kentucky, bad. Ohio State was a fallback plan, and one that he obviously was not in love with. Or maybe even a bargaining chip he brought to the table to try to force Kentucky's hand, to make them jump before he was lost to Ohio State. To me, it clearly looks like he was going to be a running rebel if Rice wasn't fired.

And I am not the least bit concerned as a fan. He's a supreme talent, if he needs to be reeled in, Miller will do it, and he is on a team of good guys. If he doesn't, then we know what happens, and we have plenty of depth. And the whole kentucky thing, I don't care. If you meet a hot chick and she really wants your best friend, but he is like ehhhh, you going to be mad when she still thinks you are good looking as well and you are doing the horizontal bop with her knowing she really wanted your best friend? Not me.
Seems like a wussy move by Ohio state. They shouldn't have wimped out if they want the kid. So no, it's not easy to explain, other than saying "Ohio state are pussies"

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

tOSU expected him to commit awhile ago. I don't blame them for telling Simmons to fish or cut bait. Matta's not a dumb guy...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Seems like a wussy move by Ohio state. They shouldn't have wimped out if they want the kid. So no, it's not easy to explain, other than saying "Ohio state are pussies"
It isn't a wussy move. I can see their frustrations and Matta doesn't seem like that type of guy. We have seen Calipari be a sore loser and be sour with Stanley after he announced us. Never took Matta for that at all. And you can't fault the kid either.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Do we know what time he's announcing tomorrow?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Beachcat97 wrote:Do we know what time he's announcing tomorrow?
He said 6pm on his Twitter. I don't know what time zone that is though.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Even with a class of LM and KS, that probably sends us skyrocketing up the class rankings. Add JJ, and we pass everyone but UK.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote:Even with a class of LM and KS, that probably sends us skyrocketing up the class rankings. Add JJ, and we pass everyone but UK.
We aren't passing Duke, nor should we. I think Duke has the best class in the country coming in.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I am more concerned with the USA basketball issue than who is recruiting him at this point. OSU was still recruiting him hard until it become clear they weren't getting him, my understanding is that both UNC and UK were also recruiting him hard until their situations changed. Not sure who else you want to be recruiting him, he has made it clear he wants to go to a contender and Duke, UK, and MSU all are full at his position and UNC will have a returning Junior ready to take over for Paige at PG looking at over 30 MPG.

Another observation, it looks like the Simmons news may have lit a fire under PJC which will hopefully help us throughout this year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If you don't trust Sean Miller by now, you will never, never, never trust Sean Miller at all.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Do we know what time he's announcing tomorrow?
6 pm ET = 4 pm in Az?

Reggie Rankin @ReggieRankin

Breaking: ESPN 100 Five-star PG @JordanKobi will make his college decision Saturday during the 6 pm ET ESPN HS telecast from Hoophall@ESPNU
7:00 AM - 13 Jan 2016

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Bolt/Sim ... y-42794332" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Even with a class of LM and KS, that probably sends us skyrocketing up the class rankings. Add JJ, and we pass everyone but UK.
We aren't passing Duke, nor should we. I think Duke has the best class in the country coming in.
Right. I forgot that they've already locked in two of the top five players. Man, K just doesn't quit. Wonder if he can catch Wooden.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

With all the craziness of this situation It would be a shame if he was just mixing us up with ASU this whole time.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:With all the craziness of this situation It would be a shame if he was just mixing us up with ASU this whole time.

If he refers in a tweet to "Lute Olsen" I might start to worry.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
Right. I forgot that they've already locked in two of the top five players. Man, K just doesn't quit. Wonder if he can catch Wooden.
Only in a foot race. He's not doubling the number of titles he's won at age 68.
Right where I want to be.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

rgdeuce wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:
Fixed it for you

Kentucky, Ohio State, Arizona, North Carolina, UNLV, Cincy, FSU, LSU, Memphis, Marquette, NC State, Providence, Syracuse, Tennessee, USC, Vandy, Virginia, Xavier... just some of the schools who have offered. And Miller is a witch. We will probably never know the story, but it sounds like they have been hanging in the background. The frontrunner never had a chance despite being a safe pick, one favorite rolled his ankle before the backstretch, and the Kentucky Derby winner was apathetic about even winning the race. It looks like Arizona is the pace horse that had a full tank of holy shit and took advantage of the three favorites various reasons for crapping out.
Thx Deuce makes sense. Glad to get him
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
I am more concerned with the USA basketball issue than who is recruiting him at this point. OSU was still recruiting him hard until it become clear they weren't getting him, my understanding is that both UNC and UK were also recruiting him hard until their situations changed. Not sure who else you want to be recruiting him, he has made it clear he wants to go to a contender and Duke, UK, and MSU all are full at his position and UNC will have a returning Junior ready to take over for Paige at PG looking at over 30 MPG.

Another observation, it looks like the Simmons news may have lit a fire under PJC which will hopefully help us throughout this year.
Yeah I think Simmons has just mishandled his recruitment by prolonging it to the point where he was going to end up with his safety school (UNLV) as opposed to his top choices, but once their head man got canned he didn't want to risk missing out on his last choice and last remaining coach he has the best relationship with (Book), so he's popping for Arizona before even visiting just to ensure they don't pursue anybody else to fill that spot. Recruiting is hard thing to handle when quite frankly you've never experienced it before that's for sure. This is like finding a 100 bill off the street for Arizona. We're playing with house money here and any risks that come with this kid are well worth it. At worst if he doesn't take to coaching then he'll ride the pine.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

The common question most people will have concerning Kobi Simmons lies within the starting rotation next season, and if this pushes away Josh Jackson. Jackson is the No. 1 ranked player in the country, and he's going to start where ever he goes. A Kobi Simmons commitment doesn't take Josh Jackson out of the equation, and could even help depending on their relationship and how great Simmons is of a recruiter. That just gives Arizona that much more depth next season, whether or not Allonzo Trier decides to bolt to the NBA.

The issue is going to be the help in the frontcourt. With only Dusan Ristic, Chance Comanche and Lauri Markkanen, this is where Miller would go all in for Harry Froling, who is in Tucson for the Washington games. If that doesn't happen, then you can expect a graduate transfer.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ean-miller" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Simmons and Jackson play different primary positions and can coexist and further compliment each other. That'll be far from a hurdle in Jackson's recruitment.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Noticed last night that Marcus Sheffield of Stanford is also from Alpharetta, Ga. They were not teammates. Jaylen Brown, Tony Parker and Jordan Adams also from Georgia. It's a Peach Pipeline.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Georgia is a hot bed for athletes across the board. Would be curious to see where they fall in basketball only, but they are the 4th or 5th best state for football prospects and among the best in baseball as well.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
No WAY. They won't even be a front runner to win it all next year with that class.

Allen - Gone
Ingram - Gone
Jefferson - Gone
Plumlee - Gone
Chase Jeter - Sucks balls (biggest joke of a top 10 recruit I've seen in a long time. Top 50 recruit? Sure. But too much of a project to be a top 10 guy. The "Going to Duke so bump his ranking up a ton" was in full effect for Jeter, that's for sure.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Noticed last night that Marcus Sheffield of Stanford is also from Alpharetta, Ga. They were not teammates. Jaylen Brown, Tony Parker and Jordan Adams also from Georgia. It's a Peach Pipeline.
Watching the UDub game last night looked up Noah Dickerson, to see if he somehow related to the former UA great Michael Dickerson who is from the Seattle area.

He's not, but did notice that he played his AAU ball in Georgia, although he is from Florida.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote:Noticed last night that Marcus Sheffield of Stanford is also from Alpharetta, Ga. They were not teammates. Jaylen Brown, Tony Parker and Jordan Adams also from Georgia. It's a Peach Pipeline.
Watching the UDub game last night looked up Noah Dickerson, to see if he somehow related to the former UA great Michael Dickerson who is from the Seattle area.

He's not, but did notice that he played his AAU ball in Georgia, although he is from Florida.
Didn't he play with Ben Simmons at Montverde? I know he was going to Florida until Billy D left for OKC
gumby

Post by gumby »

Wondered the same about Dickerson. Michael had a relative who played for USF, Cole.

About Noah's shot: Needs more Arc.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

gumby wrote:Wondered the same about Dickerson. Michael had a relative who played for USF, Cole.

About Noah's shot: Needs more Arc.
Very nice. Ark.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona 64% 8-)
Ohio State 27%
Kentucky 9%

Poll Results:

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Have we ever had a 6'6" point guard?

A lot of similarities to Stanleys game, check out his shooting form:

From October 2015:

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2015/10/3/944 ... -it-affect" target="_blank
Kobi Simmons may be one of the most talented players in the 2016 class, but he's having a summer and early fall period to forget.

After a poor showing in summer AAU events, Simmons has now reportedly been kicked out of Team USA Basketball, per Draft Express' Jonathan Givony:
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Jefe wrote:Have we ever had a 6'6" point guard?

A lot of similarities to Stanleys game, check out his shooting form:

From October 2015:

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2015/10/3/944 ... -it-affect" target="_blank
Kobi Simmons may be one of the most talented players in the 2016 class, but he's having a summer and early fall period to forget.

After a poor showing in summer AAU events, Simmons has now reportedly been kicked out of Team USA Basketball, per Draft Express' Jonathan Givony:
JP Prince
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Seeming more and more imminent.

So leaving aside JJ scenarios for the moment, what kind of minutes would Kobi be looking at next year?

I gotta think the starting five are going to be

KA
AT
RS
CC
DR

Where does Kobi fit in? He's a PG, right? So will he be KA's backup?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Slow down on the chicken counting. :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:Slow down on the chicken counting. :lol:
I know, I know. And not a word from 97. Concerning.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
HiCat wrote:Slow down on the chicken counting. :lol:
I know, I know. And not a word from 97. Concerning.
I think '97 has left the Beardownwildcats building.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The Atlanta guys that went to UCLA came from them hiring Korey McCray (I think that's what his name was), he was the Atlanta Celtics AAU coach and he hand delivered those guys to Howland.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:

While it is a valid point... That USA Basketball situation would concern me except for the fact that I am quite certain Miller is abreast of all the details that none of us know about. If he has no issues, I don't either.

As for OSU, you are dead on. IF they REALLY 'did not want him', they would have dropped him long before 2 days in advance of his (recently) announced decision date. UK passed on him... Looks like just about everyone else wanted him pretty badly.

Totally agree on PJC... commented on that in another thread last night.

My only concern is from his video above... I know it is a highlight tape, but does he ever pass?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

carolinacat wrote:
JP Prince
So, in other words - No. :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
carolinacat wrote:
JP Prince
JP frickin Prince. If memory serves, though, he went on to do alright at Tennessee.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Kid's quick to the hoop..

http://www.thehoopscolumn.com/2016/01/1 ... ommitment/" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
carolinacat wrote:
JP Prince
JP frickin Prince. If memory serves, though, he went on to do alright at Tennessee.
As a small forward.