let's talk '17

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

az91

Re: let's talk '17

Post by az91 »

EOCT wrote:I wouldn't underestimate Barcello. Nope. Four things:

First, he's not fast, but he's clearly not slow.

Second, a positive skill issue is his quicks. Lemme call them funky-quicks in his case because he often looks tippy when in fact he really isn't off balance. Moving in the front court with the ball, Dude throws one, two, sometimes three funky hesis. Often he steps back very quickly and shoots or passés very quicky. His defender is rarely in on the deal and normally can't even start a forward step.

If the dude is open and receives a pass, he takes the ball in an already set crouch and brings the ball up immediately. The same receiving crouch Coach O taught Salim who came to us notoriously catching in a standing position, then crouching, and finally bringing the ball up from too low on his body.

Third, the dude is really bright and you see it in his on-ball mechanics and passing. He appears to have sweet court vision.

Last, Barcello chose Miller and the Cats because he has a hunger to eventually end up in the League. Great sign. He could've taken the Stanford offer and not risked being over-recruited or beat out inn an elite program

Okay, I'll shut up and agree we've only seen Barcello play in a compilation of HS excerpts. So, we'll welcome some looks at his play this year and with the summer Soldiers and make informed observations.

Bear Down!
Nice try, but the kid has already been written off as a waste of a scholarship and a poor man's Gabe York.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

az91 wrote:
97cats wrote:none of the four players below are Final Four caliber PG's, IMNSHO:

Allen is not a true PG, decent combo but wears down and is not comfortable with rudimentary PG skills like advancing the ball past the timeline

Simmons is not a true PG, loads of potential as a hybrid but young and VERY raw -- certainly not a 35+min(s) per game guy this season

Cartwright has been awful, i have no idea what the hell anybody was thinking when they watched him play in high school -- hes proven in college over and over that hes nowhere near ELITE

Barcello is not a PG and frankly underwhelming -- im shocked AZ took him and the TJ comparison(s) are beyond ridiculous....a less bouncy Gabe York is more like it.
In other words, Arizona is a sinking ship.
Jon Bro, thanks for your comments!

I know, I know-----you're suspicious of the funky hesi I invented on a local PU court.

Hope we're both in Tucson this year for some game. If so, I could promise three fist bumps, five loud Bear Downs, and 28 beers to help that 16/17 spirit, man.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

AZ is only a sinking ship in the sense that we're not winning the Pac this year.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

FYI none of the big programs have TRUE point guards, at least in the TJMC mythology we have bolstered. If I remember correctly TJ didn't get us to a final 4. So get the fuck over TJ, it's time to move on and accept new players with different talents sets.

Trier, Smith, Lauri has the potential to be the best 2-3-4 line-up we've had under Miller. These guys are killer basketball players and all this hate is absurd.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Okay, I mean I have concerns prior to every single UA sports season. Having concerns is normal.

No offense to 97, but he's one guy who's hardly infallible. There will always be a spectrum of opinion before any season begins, so why put so much weight behind any single one? Usually the consensus is somewhere closer to reality.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Pump the brakes a bit. Arizona's got a lot of games to play guys, the roster is loaded, and the ribs are on the grill. Who's ready for a cold one. Sit back relax. 8-)
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

luteformayor2 wrote:FYI none of the big programs have TRUE point guards, at least in the TJMC mythology we have bolstered. If I remember correctly TJ didn't get us to a final 4. So get the fuck over TJ, it's time to move on and accept new players with different talents sets.

Trier, Smith, Lauri has the potential to be the best 2-3-4 line-up we've had under Miller. These guys are killer basketball players and all this hate is absurd.
Except no one's hating on Trier, Smith, or Lauri...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The home OOC schedule is a pretty fat turd. It's frustrating for Tucson fans that every away/neutral game is more attractive than every home game.
I was fantasizing the other day. You know what I'd like to see?

Instead of 3 OOC patsies to start the football season, start off with only two OOC patsies. Then schedule a "double header" on the week before the A$$U game: a football game AND a basketball game with the same OOC school.

Then picking the school would be tricky. I'd like to think that Notre Dame would be cool for this, but they would obviously tricky to hook up with, what with their traditional late season game with USC and all.

Maybe Louisville? or Minnesota? or Whisky? or Wake Forest? or if you really insist on a third patsy in football how about Kansas?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

luteformayor2 wrote:FYI none of the big programs have TRUE point guards, at least in the TJMC mythology we have bolstered. If I remember correctly TJ didn't get us to a final 4. So get the fuck over TJ, it's time to move on and accept new players with different talents sets.

I'd put it this way. Our PG has to be a good enough distributor to let the talent at the other positions do their thing. We don't need more than that, though.

I 100% agree we have to stop chasing the next TJ. Guys like that are rare. We can win with a scoring point. What we can't win without, IMO, is a good defensive point, and we lacked that last year.

If I have a concern about Kobi and Kadeem, it's on D first. Offensively, even Kadeem's assist to turnover ratio in conference (almost 2/1) is something you can win with. Last year, our problems were not on offense.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Difference of opinion treated as "hate" is the worst development in the history of conversation.

Agree with Spiff. Need a disruptor at the point of attack. I was disappointed in Allen as a defender. Maybe not his fault. Maybe mine for believing what I'd read about his abilities in that area in practices. Thought that would be where he would excel.

Never too late!

True point not necessary. Effective guards necessary. We don't exactly pick-and-roll teams to death with the motion offense. I was pretty excited after that Gonzaga comeback victory last year, because it was all about the guards turning the screws and rattling Zag guards.

Got away from that as the season went on. It was the D that did us in last year. Maybe because we were scoring more than in previous years. But also because of lack of speed (Anderson, Tolly, Ristic) and inability of guards to set the tone.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote:
It is good to send guys to the league, but also important to remember that some of the guys who made it there weren't "all that" here. Iguodala, Jefferson, for instance.

And some who were greater contributors here -- Salim, Wright, Cook, Reeves, Simon. D Williams -- didn't make it there or got lost there.

Can guys whose significant contributions don't come until junior and seniors years -- Stoudamires, Reeves, Walton, for example -- be greater Wildcats than those who hit the starting lineup right away as five stars out of high school -- Stanley, Gordon, Bayless, for example.

Yes.

I think sometimes we evaluate these careers retroactively, rather than dial in on their college contributions.

Bibby the exception, not the rule.
Don't disagree with you. The thing is, it's going to be harder now to have more of the above because times have changed. The raw players can land in the first round as freshmen now. Iguodala goes in the first round as a freshman in these times where the college game is younger. He has more of a prominent role as a freshman now because of early entrants, whereas guys stuck around more in Lute's time and Iggy had a bigger battle. Easy to see why Jefferson was not all that when he played with an All American and four future NBA draft picks in the starting lineup, plus a 6th man who was drafted.

With the different times thing too, Khalid Reeves (9ppg) and both Stoudamires (Salim averaged 12 ppg, Damon 7) all probably start on last year's team and maybe even this year's. Maybe Khalid is the 2 that gets moved over to the 1 instead of Kadeem. Salim and Damon are no doubt last year's starting PG. Of course, these are things that opened up because of early entrants, whereas Damon had to sit behind a senior(?) Othick and a sophomore Reeves. It's good to have sheer numbers just get drafted or get in the league (Ben Davis, Michael Wright, Grant Jerrett still count when you throw a list of draft picks in front of a kid), but it's important to have your Stanley's and Gordon's because both of those guys are likely to be borderline all stars to all stars in the coming years. That has been the one knock on Arizona, tons of role players (some very good ones too) then you have your Jason Terrys, Mike Bibbys (criminally underrated and never made an ASG), Elliotts, Iguodalas, Jeffersons, etc. who are "fringe all stars" at points, but our only superstar has been Gilbert Arenas. In an ideal world we would have balance, it's just tougher to do in today's game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Everyone needs to take a deep breath... Who were Wisconsin's point guards when the 1-2-3 combo of Kaminsky, Dekker and Hayes went to back to back final fours? While our three best are not going to be the level of Wisky's big 3, outside of a couple of teams, the NCAA will not be as strong as what their big 3 had to deal with and we have more depth. We aren't going to run into a team with TJ McConnell, Stanley, RHJ, Brandon Ashley, Aaron Gordon and Zeus unless we pull a Kentucky or Duke in our region and even then, that Arizona team gives either of them a run for their money, we will see how they turn out. What we have isn't ideal, but we are super strong in other areas. It may hurt us, it may not, that's why they play the games.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i have no idea where i said "Arizona is a sinking ship" or intimated that Arizona is on the downswing, or said anything that was targeting or slamming Arizona -- i dont like the PG on the team and i hate the OOC home schedule

its that simple.

i think Cartwright is awful.

i think Arizona has a Final Four caliber program, players, and TEAM -- with the exception of the most important position on the floor, PG.

i do not think a JUCO transfer playing out of position is the answer.

i do not think that relying on a freshman COMBO guard to win games in the NCAA Tournament as the primary PG is a recipe for success.

i do not think Barcello is the future answer at PG.

i do think Arizona will challenge for the PAC-12 title and i do think Arizona will get a high seed in the NCAA Tournament.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
gumby wrote:
It is good to send guys to the league, but also important to remember that some of the guys who made it there weren't "all that" here. Iguodala, Jefferson, for instance.

And some who were greater contributors here -- Salim, Wright, Cook, Reeves, Simon. D Williams -- didn't make it there or got lost there.

Can guys whose significant contributions don't come until junior and seniors years -- Stoudamires, Reeves, Walton, for example -- be greater Wildcats than those who hit the starting lineup right away as five stars out of high school -- Stanley, Gordon, Bayless, for example.

Yes.

I think sometimes we evaluate these careers retroactively, rather than dial in on their college contributions.

Bibby the exception, not the rule.
Don't disagree with you. The thing is, it's going to be harder now to have more of the above because times have changed. The raw players can land in the first round as freshmen now. Iguodala goes in the first round as a freshman in these times where the college game is younger. He has more of a prominent role as a freshman now because of early entrants, whereas guys stuck around more in Lute's time and Iggy had a bigger battle. Easy to see why Jefferson was not all that when he played with an All American and four future NBA draft picks in the starting lineup, plus a 6th man who was drafted.

With the different times thing too, Khalid Reeves (9ppg) and both Stoudamires (Salim averaged 12 ppg, Damon 7) all probably start on last year's team and maybe even this year's. Maybe Khalid is the 2 that gets moved over to the 1 instead of Kadeem. Salim and Damon are no doubt last year's starting PG. Of course, these are things that opened up because of early entrants, whereas Damon had to sit behind a senior(?) Othick and a sophomore Reeves. It's good to have sheer numbers just get drafted or get in the league (Ben Davis, Michael Wright, Grant Jerrett still count when you throw a list of draft picks in front of a kid), but it's important to have your Stanley's and Gordon's because both of those guys are likely to be borderline all stars to all stars in the coming years. That has been the one knock on Arizona, tons of role players (some very good ones too) then you have your Jason Terrys, Mike Bibbys (criminally underrated and never made an ASG), Elliotts, Iguodalas, Jeffersons, etc. who are "fringe all stars" at points, but our only superstar has been Gilbert Arenas. In an ideal world we would have balance, it's just tougher to do in today's game.
I've posted a version of this rant before, but the rookie salary scale has a huge unintended effect of pushing players into the draft early. Because you don't make market value until after the rookie contract is over and the rookie scale comes with a guaranteed contract, a first rounder is locked in for good and bad for 3 years.

So, why wouldn't a prospect want to develop in the pros? It doesn't matter if you're ready on draft night. It matters if you're ready 3 years after draft night. Just get that guarantee and you're ok until then.

It has a domino effect too. You can't bring freshman along as understudies bc the guy who would play ahead of them is gone.
gumby

Post by gumby »

97cats wrote:i have no idea where i said "Arizona is a sinking ship" or intimated that Arizona is on the downswing, or said anything that was targeting or slamming Arizona -- i dont like the PG on the team and i hate the OOC home schedule

its that simple.

i think Cartwright is awful.

i think Arizona has a Final Four caliber program, players, and TEAM -- with the exception of the most important position on the floor, PG.

i do not think a JUCO transfer playing out of position is the answer.

i do not think that relying on a freshman COMBO guard to win games in the NCAA Tournament as the primary PG is a recipe for success.

i do not think Barcello is the future answer at PG.

i do think Arizona will challenge for the PAC-12 title and i do think Arizona will get a high seed in the NCAA Tournament.
These are all reasonable positions. The "sinking ship" comes from the continual inability of people to accurately process information they don't want to consider.

So they default to "sinking ship" ... "sky is falling'' ... "hating on" ... "dumpster fire," and argue against that.

To do otherwise, requires firing up the old brain cells and, well, that takes effort.

Zero chance.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:97, how about a more straight-up assessment of this year's team. We've heard your thoughts on the PG situation, and it sounds like we're pretty f***ed. How about where you think we'll finish in the Pac?
This post is why I'll joke about us being a sinking ship.

I'm not as concerned about PG as 97, but his concerns are based in fact. Taking those fact based concerns to us being pretty fudged at PG is what happens when informational posts and factual takes wind up in the wrong hands.
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

So Ayton is deciding tonight at 6 pm and we are in the final 3 and there is no chat of it in here so in guessing we have 0 chance? KU is my bet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

KOQSTRONG wrote:So Ayton is deciding tonight at 6 pm and we are in the final 3 and there is no chat of it in here so in guessing we have 0 chance? KU is my bet.
http://247sports.com/Player/DeAndre-Ayton-29783" target="_blank

You're not the only one.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I don't think he's going to college at all, no matter where he commits.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:I don't think he's going to college at all, no matter where he commits.
Honestly the only reason to commit this early for a prospect of this nature is to have your future college guide you in regards to being able to qualify. If he does intend to go to college then it's a very smart decision.

Fwiw I've heard none of these 3 schools have been expecting to land his commitment, so tonight should be a lot of fun.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Seems something has happened in the program that has 97 Cats upset, and no matter the person, that affects the overall viewpoint. He really wanted Derrick Thornton Jr on this team. So did I. The PJC story he presents is upsetting. But I am guessing Sean Miller is particularly built to evaluate the PG position and we are going to do what we can do, but we cannot make people come here.

But on Barcello...well, on all recruits...this slavish devotion to stars is silly. Unless you have a one and done, the value to the program is not going to be determined by freshman year and their stars. Barcello is not a program changer. But he is exactly what this program needs an equal and steady diet of...4 year players who can play at this level, have an upside that puts them in the elite, but as is are no worse than 4 year contributors with a couple of years of steady starter minutes. And, yeah...Barcello could run point here. This is college. The point is much more fluid in types of players, from an Othick to a Kerr to a Stoudamire to a Gardner to a Nic Wise even, just using our own history. TJ was a particularly POINT point guard. They are as rare at this level as 7 foot seniors. But they are awesome to have. Barcello has a lot more chance of being that kind of steady creating point than the options available, because he will be here for 4 years, and he has a base of skills that allows him to compete with the best right now and he will take coaching and get better. Attitude goes a long way if you have the skill set, and he has the skill set. If anything, Barcello's deficiency has been in being family oriented and not running off to some prep school situation or moving out of state for hoops. That might slow his development, but Miller with him = a very good player by year 4. Losing Ferguson hurt us a lot. A lot. That is the current impact...Barcello is not a focus if you are talking about 2017-2018. But we don't fill our scholarship numbers with actual players anyway...Barcello's presence isn't going to hurt one bit, and should help.

The Barcello signing (ain't like we snagged him out from under the Citidel and Cal State Bakersfield) is not really indicative of much beyond a very good in state player who had a very good AAU season with a top level team intrigued Miller and he thinks he can make Alex into a great player. But no one is going to avoid signing with us over Barcello. There are going to be other guards recruited before Barcello makes an impact. Really, focusing on this any more than what it actually is...a 4 year signing with a good base to great upside...is missing the point. We need 3 or 4 Alex Barcellos, and there is still plenty of room to get the AAs to go along with these players. And if Miller does what I think he can with Alex, we will be very happy for that scholarship in 2019 and beyond.

To the point of now, Ferguson hurt a lot. We missed on a point because of whatever this PJC drama was, but the guy both 97 Cats and I absolutely slobbered over, Derrick Thornton, has apparently proven that the recruit ranking system isn't without flaws, nor are our eyes, and he should have definitely not re-classified and left high school early. Something is missing in his game at this level so far. But, yeah...no shit I'd rather have Thornton than PJC or even Alex.

As for Beachcat...for chrissake, just do your own analysis. What is your concern? Someone else's concern? We have a basketball program. It was coached by a legend...a legend who got us to 4 Final Fours and a bunch of 1st round losses. People bitched about him...all the time. Then, due to his health issues, the program cratered. And this guy Miller built it back in record time. This Miller guy is a LOT different than Lute. And while he deferred to Lute for years, he is starting to make this his program. And that is shaking up a lot of people. In the one and done era, he got us in that mix 2 years after being down to Nic Wise and PleaseGodLetTheUSCFallApartSoWeCanGetAClass. And he is young and learning...Miller is not a great X/O coach yet. But he recruits at a high level, and is learning every year. And last year, the loss of one and dones (yes, even Grant Jerrett) smacked us. We had a bunch of fill ins. So now we start again, and he signs a fantastic class, but one of them is bit by Prime Prep and we lose a real need (shooting wing).

So let that stuff guide your viewpoint. Develop one of your own. But freaking out over shit that cannot be helped in September does nothing. Offer a solution...fire Miller? If you go there, you are an idiot. So what else do we have? Watch and see. Chicken Littling over someone's opinion of the program is going to do what? We have been yanking top 3 classes at the regular...that might not happen every year. So what do you propose?

It all reveals itself on the court. How about letting that happen?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:I don't think he's going to college at all, no matter where he commits.
Honestly the only reason to commit this early for a prospect of this nature is to have your future college guide you in regards to being able to qualify. If he does intend to go to college then it's a very smart decision.

Fwiw I've heard none of these 3 schools have been expecting to land his commitment, so tonight should be a lot of fun.
A lot of the buzz around Ayton...well, I'm not crushed if we don't get him. I read an SI article that didn't exactly paint a positive picture of his motor. He reminds me a lot of Thon Maker.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Ayton to Arizona?
Junior

Post by Junior »

The Witch did it again!!
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Ayton to zona!!!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

TAKE THIS FUCKIN L FUEGS!!!!!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

He's not going to college.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Airizona wrote:Ayton to zona!!!
Really? Wow.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Wow!! :o

DeAndre Ayton, top basketball recruit in 2017 class, picks Arizona over KU, Kentucky

Kansas missed out on a third No. 1-rated basketball recruit in the last five years Tuesday as DeAndre Ayton picked Arizona over KU and Kentucky during a nationally televised college announcement on ESPN’s “SportsCenter.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... rylink=cpy" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:He's not going to college.
I don't think so either, but if he does.......
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

DeAndre Ayton is key to Arizona's return to Final Four

JEFF GOODMAN via ESPN

Sep 6, 2016, 6:30 PM ET

DeAndre Ayton?might be the player who leads the Arizona Wildcats?back to the Final Four.

Wildcats coach Sean Miller has come within a victory on three separate occasions since arriving in Tucson seven years ago. He has brought plenty of talent to the desert since taking over, with five players selected in the first round of the NBA draft.

But he has never landed a recruit like Ayton -- until now. Ayton, the No. 1 prospect in the ESPN 100, selected Arizona on Tuesday.

Ayton is a 7-foot-1, 245-pounder who hails from the Bahamas. Some coaches go with the Kevin Garnett comparison. Others say he reminds them more of Chris Webber. Whatever the case, Ayton is a game-changer on both ends of the court.

Derrick Williams carried Arizona to an unlikely Elite Eight berth in 2011 and was drafted with the second overall pick, but has been exposed in the NBA as a solid rotation guy. The 2014 squad was loaded with a trio of current NBA players: Aaron Gordon, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and T.J. McConnell. The 2015 team boasted Hollis-Jefferson, McConnell and Stanley Johnson.

Both lost one step shy of the Final Four, both times to Wisconsin.

Ayton is a one-year cornerstone Miller will build his team around in 2017. Kansas wanted him desperately. So did John Calipari and Kentucky.

Miller found a way to keep him out west.

Ayton runs the court as well as any big man in the country. He can score in the post, he can step out and make shots from the perimeter. He's quick, agile and strong, rebounds at a high level and alters and blocks shots. He also plays with a high motor. Just his mere presence will help his teammates, and not just because of his passing ability. He will also demand constant double-teams.

When Ayton arrives in Tucson next year, he might be playing alongside Lauri Markkanen, another talented 7-footer and potential lottery pick. Allonzo Trier could be gone to the NBA draft, but the Wildcats will likely have point guard? Kobi Simmons?and wing? Rawle Alkins?-- two other prized freshmen who, like Markkanen, arrived on campus this year. The Wildcats should have frontcourt depth with Dusan Ristic and Chance Comanche, as well as the return of talented wing Ray Smith, who is coming back from a pair of torn ACLs.

Arizona isn't done with this recruiting class, either. The Wildcats remain in the mix for a pair of top-20 prospects: P.J. Washington and Lonnie Walker. Ayton's pledge should certainly help with other recruits.

The Ayton commitment is a significant victory for Arizona both on and off the court. Miller has fared well against Calipari in the last few years, landing Gordon, Johnson and now Ayton. Miller beat out Kentucky and Kansas for former big man Kaleb Tarczewski, but lost to Bill Self and the Jayhawks last year for heralded freshman wing Josh Jackson.

Ayton won't just be the big man on campus when he gets to Arizona in a year -- he'll also be talked about ad nauseam on a national level. He's projected by many as the No. 1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft, and if that occurs, it would be the first time Arizona would lay claim to the No. 1 pick. Williams and Mike Bibby were both taken second overall, and Sean Elliott went third.

But ultimately, what matters is whether Ayton can lead Arizona back to the Final Four. He maintains he won't be going the overseas route, instead focusing on trying bringing a national title to the school for the first time in more than two decades.

Gordon was a tremendous player. Johnson had a terrific season in Tucson. But neither have the talent of Ayton.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/deandre-ay ... d=41905619" target="_blank

In terms of his skill, Ayton is highly regarded because there have been so few players to similar to him over the past 10 years. He's very long, very strong, has touch from mid-range and has a good passing eye for a center. He's got a skill set that is moldable. He could be a modern big, a center with range and dynamism -- making him one of the most intriguing prospects in recent years -- or he could develop into a true low-post force, if that's where he wants to take his game. He's an elite defender as well.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... -kentucky/" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
I'll stick with my post above, but Ayton is insanely talented. If his mind and motor are right, he's got KG level physical skill.

If he wants it, wants to go to college and wants to come to Arizona, he can lift a team into nati9nal contention singlehandedly. There are just a lot of ifs.
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

Welp, I love it!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

We'll see how it all shakes out..

DeAndre Ayton, Basketball Recruit: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
Published 5:07 pm EDT, September 6, 2016 Updated 6:37 pm EDT, September 6, 2016

3. Eligibility, age limit concerns may have impacted Ayton’s recruitment.

While Ayton has been adamant throughout his recruitment that he will attend college, many elite programs still kept their distance for multiple reasons. One was the concern that Ayton could have issues in qualifying academically due to his attending Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix. Ayton, who attended Balboa City School in San Diego his first two years of high school, left that school last October to attend Hillcrest Prep and play alongside Class of 2018 phenom Marvin Bagley III. Hillcrest Prep’s lack of a national profile ultimately led to Bagley leaving in mid-November, but Ayton remained.

The academic issue at Hillcrest centered around the academic program provided by StarShine Academy, which was not certified by the NCAA. Hillcrest switched to a program (Arizona Connections) certified by the NCAA, which should help Ayton’s case should there be any questions with the NCAA Clearinghouse.[/u] In an April interview with the Louisville Courier-Journal Ayton denied there being any concern about his academics, saying “I’m NCAA eligible, so I don’t know what’s the problem.”

The other question regarding Ayton centers around his age, as he’ll be 19 year old just under a month after the 2017 NBA Draft. While he’s played his entire high school career in the United States, with Ayton being a native of the Bahamas there was the thought that he could attempt to appeal for entry into the 2017 NBA Draft as was the case with Thon Maker. But Ayton has insisted that he will play college basketball in 2017.

http://heavy.com/sports/2016/09/deandre ... asketball/" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Hopefully Miller gets him outta Hillcrest like tomorrow
gumby

Post by gumby »

On second thought, we love his academics, motor and, most importantly, decision-making ability!

:lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The whole point to commit this early if you're a player of his stature is to have one school commit resources into helping you get qualified, so he's doing this the right way if he does intend to play in college. It's absolutely insane that he chose us, but wow if he does end up on campus and is cleared calling this commitment huge is an understatement of the highest order. He's the best prospect in the last decade not named Anthony Davis.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Either Miller is going down swinging on high risk, high reward or he learned from Ferguson and sees a different scenario here. My guy trusts it's the latter because Miller doesn't seem the desperate sort.

But Ayton got some work to do to qualify, but everyone I've talked to today says the grades aren't the concern they once were. Committing early allows Arizona to guide him in qualifying.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Boom! Get him on Campus. Can you imagine if Bagley commits?
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Main Event wrote:TAKE THIS FUCKIN L FUEGS!!!!!!!

Congratulations. He's my new Tarczewski. Let's see if Miller crushes the career of another top 10 potential NBA draft pick like he did Tarczewski. ;)
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

deleted
Last edited by HiCat on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

enfuego wrote:

Congratulations. He's my new Tarczewski. Let's see if Miller crushes the career of another top 10 potential NBA draft pick like he did Tarczewski. ;)
How are the Superstar Careers of Oubre, Alexander and Diallo? I'm sure they are all MVP candidates after getting the Self treatment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:The whole point to commit this early if you're a player of his stature is to have one school commit resources into helping you get qualified, so he's doing this the right way if he does intend to play in college. It's absolutely insane that he chose us, but wow if he does end up on campus and is cleared calling this commitment huge is an understatement of the highest order. He's the best prospect in the last decade not named Anthony Davis.
I hope you're right. I have not been convinced about motor from other things, but dude is a legit talent. If this signals a genuine commitment to get into college, he has time to address issues that Ferguson didn't. Hit that summer school.

I don't know why he'd commit now if overseas was the plan. So at least we have that to hope for.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:
enfuego wrote:

How are the Superstar Careers of Oubre, Alexander and Diallo? I'm sure they are all MVP candidates after getting the Self treatment.
Xavier Henry and Josh Selby are hurt you forgot about them.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

JMarkJohns wrote:
enfuego wrote:

Look for Oubre to break out this year. Alexander left before he should have and Diallo hasn't even played yet, but was a project with huge upside coming into college. I was clearly talking about big man development, which you have to admit, Miller is not known for.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:The whole point to commit this early if you're a player of his stature is to have one school commit resources into helping you get qualified, so he's doing this the right way if he does intend to play in college. It's absolutely insane that he chose us, but wow if he does end up on campus and is cleared calling this commitment huge is an understatement of the highest order. He's the best prospect in the last decade not named Anthony Davis.
I hope you're right. I have not been convinced about motor from other things, but dude is a legit talent. If this signals a genuine commitment to get into college, he has time to address issues that Ferguson didn't. Hit that summer school.

I don't know why he'd commit now if overseas was the plan. So at least we have that to hope for.
I think he's more lacking a back to the basket game than anything else, although in this modern age of basketball that doesn't bother me much. I think his motor is just fine fwiw.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

enfuego wrote:

They can't all be Cliff Alexander.

Cheer up though, atleast you got Mitch Lightfoot :lol:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Fun pull. If we can get LM, RA, KS and RS to stay another year we would be the favorite to win it all
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Am I allowed to be happy about this or do I have to look to the reaction of other people to decide if I am excited?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:
Who do we miss on along the way because we (and the potential recruits) thought Ayrton was coming?

Who transfers out under the assumption Ayrton is coming...and then Ayrton doesn't qualify?

I hope they've thought this through, because there are landmines galore.