@UW (L)
UCLA (W)
USC (W)
ASU (W)
@CU (W)
@Utah (L)
Cal (W)
Stanford (W)

If we can get through this home stretch how I've predicted above, I think CSM gets his third straight.
dcZONAfan

Re: Pathway to the 2016 Pac 12 title

Post by dcZONAfan »

I think we win @UW. Pretty confident Zo will be back by then.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:I think we win @UW. Pretty confident Zo will be back by then.
Well, we dominated UW the first go-round, so a similar outcome wouldn't be too surprising.

But I think there are at least two more losses coming in the regular season, and we cannot afford to lose to any team that's already beaten us. Also can't lose to Oregon.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not losing at Utah
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Holding serve at home is a huge part of how our Pac record winds up. This year, I feel good about it, but do not take it for granted.

If we do that, we're at 11 wins plus any additional road wins, of which we should get a few.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:Not losing at Utah
I'm hearing a lot about which ones we won't lose, not very much about which ones we will. I know it's unpleasant, but how about some predictions on which on the remaining schedule we won't win.

Really don't think we're running the table, not with how difficult the road has been this year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think we are going to run the table to be honest. I fear hot shooting night from UCLA and USC more than any remaining road games
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I could see us being underdogs at UW and Utah (less so UW). I think we will be favorites in all other games.

This year, I could see us running the table. I could see us dropping almost any of those games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh boy :) I love the optimism, guys.

We're not running the table, though.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Oregon (L)
OSU (W)
@WSU (W)
@UW (L)
UCLA (W)
USC (W)
ASU (W)
@CU (L)
@Utah (L)
Cal (W)
Stanford (W)

23-8 (11-7)
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Oh boy :) I love the optimism, guys.

Haha, Hater bought into your optimism
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm actually very confident we're going 2-0 this week.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ASUHATER! wrote:Oregon (L)
OSU (W)
@WSU (W)
@UW (L)
UCLA (W)
USC (W)
ASU (W)
@CU (L)
@Utah (L)
Cal (W)
Stanford (W)

23-8 (11-7)
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahagagagagagagagagagagagagagaga

^ You're more laughable than Gaga is ugly
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Oh boy :) I love the optimism, guys.

We won't run the table. We'll drop at least one. It won't be easy to predict which one bc it will be based more in our not playing well than the opposition.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

To date we are 1-3 against the KenPom top 50. We have 4 more games against top 50 teams.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

KaibabKat wrote:To date we are 1-3 against the KenPom top 50.

We have 4 more games against top 50 teams.

2 of the 3 losses on the road, the other on a neutral court.

4 games remaining - 3 at home, one vs. #47 on the road.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If we beat Oregon and fUCLA beats Washington, there's a five-way tie for first place.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Who the f@ck cares about 2016 PAC 12 title

Honestly who cares, what does it matter. Does it give us a bye in the tournament? Does it mean we automatically make the sweet 16?

Only thing that matters is how we do in the tournament

All this stuff before hand is kind of mindless foreplay
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

$50,000 says that Sean Miller cares about a 2016 conference regular season title. Another $50,000 says he also cares about the conference tournament title.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Newportcat wrote:Who the f@ck cares about 2016 PAC 12 title

Honestly who cares, what does it matter. Does it give us a bye in the tournament? Does it mean we automatically make the sweet 16?

Respectfully disagree....but I get your point on the NCAA Tourney being very important. However, before that, I want to (and always want!) win the P12, win the P12 Tourney, a Final Four and a NC. I think we have a good shot at the first two and would love a FF and NC as well.

As a Wildcat, I expect to win or heavily compete for the P12 Champ and P12 Tourney EVERY year. BTFD!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Uhh, I care about a Pac12 title. Mainly because I'm a college basketball fan and I like seeing banners hanging at McKale showing our dominance over the Conference of Champions.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:

Uhh, I care about a Pac12 title. Mainly because I'm a college basketball fan and I like seeing banners hanging at McKale showing our dominance over the Conference of Champions.
Jesus, haven't we had this conversation before? If memory serves, about 70% of us care about winning the conference championship.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:

The only banners that matter are final four banners and national championship banners.

For instance we have an elite 8 banner at McKale which I f@cking absolutely f@cking hate and one of my goals in life is to get rich and donate a large check to the U of A athletic department with the specific requirement they take down our elite 8 banner so they stop proudly showing the numbers 2005 in McKale.

I appreciate that you guys care but to me it's simple. Let's say we didn't win the PAC title this year but made a Final Four, then it would be a far more successful season then if we won the conference title and lost in the first round of the tourney. Therefore the PAC 12 title means nothing to me.

In football winning the PAC 12 is all I care about given it would get us to a rose bowl. College basketball should change their system given my opinion and most fans opinions of you look at TV ratings that the regular season has become so worthless given all the attention has been placed on the tourney.

Until that changes, could care less. Doesn't mean I don't watch our games or cheer for our cats just means I will not lose sleep in how we do in conference unless we were in danger of not making the tourney.

You know the one way to remove the label of best coach to never make a final four...hint it's not winning your conference title
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Somebody has to win it, might as well be us. Right Chi
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

First and foremost, I want the Pac 12 regular season title. It's a testament to our status in the conference and nationally. The NCAA tournament is a crapshoot. You can get hot for a few games and make a deep run and validate an otherwise so-so season. But winning a conference title measures your success over the entire season. I want to win the conference title more than anything else. Winning the Pac validates a program that they are the best in the conference. We've done it two years in a row, which is huge. Maybe your attitude will change is Oregon, Utah or Colorado win it this year and they start pumping their chests as the best program in the Pac 12. It absolutely matters.
Last edited by carolinacat on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

The only banners that matter are final four banners and national championship banners.

For instance we have an elite 8 banner at McKale which I f@cking absolutely f@cking hate and one of my goals in life is to get rich and donate a large check to the U of A athletic department with the specific requirement they take down our elite 8 banner so they stop proudly showing the numbers 2005 in McKale.

I appreciate that you guys care but to me it's simple. Let's say we didn't win the PAC title this year but made a Final Four, then it would be a far more successful season then if we won the conference title and lost in the first round of the tourney. Therefore the PAC 12 title means nothing to me.

In football winning the PAC 12 is all I care about given it would get us to a rose bowl. College basketball should change their system given my opinion and most fans opinions of you look at TV ratings that the regular season has become so worthless given all the attention has been placed on the tourney.

Until that changes, could care less. Doesn't mean I don't watch our games or cheer for our cats just means I will not lose sleep in how we do in conference unless we were in danger of not making the tourney.

You know the one way to remove the label of best coach to never make a final four...hint it's not winning your conference title
What's the difference between hanging a Final Four banner and an Elite Eight banner, Newport? Either way, your last game of the season was a loss. The conference championship signals season-long excellence, which has more meaning than any touranment result other than winning the National Championship. We all put different values on different things. Would I exchange a PAC championship for a loss in the Elite Eight? No way. A loss in the Final Four? Maybe. A loss in the championship? Probably. But that's just my value. Claiming a conference title has NO value is just f_cking silly.

And screw getting to the Rose Bowl. When we finally get to the Rose Bowl, it's going to be the worst f_cking night of my life if we lose it.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Winning a conference title in football doesn't even guarantee a Rose Bow in football anymore.

Gee, I've been following Arizona basketball closely since 2005. You mean to tell me it was all a waste?

Conference titles
Final Fours
Championships

Those 3 things matter. If you want to look at things in black and white, then sure, the first one wouldn't matter to you.

Just off the top of my head, Lute won 11 Conference titles, you want to tell him that only one season was worth it? Sure, they didn't win the Conference title that year, but that's why March is what it is and why it shouldn't be the ONLY measure to success.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My priority list:

-NC
-FF
-Pac regular season
-#1 seed/rank
-Pac tourney

We have not had a FF in too long, and there is no way that a NC is not the ultimate goal. Does anyone have mixed feelings about the 97 team because it was a middle of the road Pac 10 team?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:My priority list:

-NC
-FF
-Pac regular season
-#1 seed/rank
-Pac tourney

We have not had a FF in too long, and there is no way that a NC is not the ultimate goal. Does anyone have mixed feelings about the 97 team because it was a middle of the road Pac 10 team?
Agreed, this is my exact list
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

I see it this way from best to worst outcomes :

-NC get the FF monkey off the back
-FF get the FF monkey off the back
-canceled season
-coach take hiatus and interim is a drunken clown
-excruciating EE loss against some B1G team of overachievers
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Puerco wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

What's the difference between hanging a Final Four banner and an Elite Eight banner, Newport? Either way, your last game of the season was a loss. The conference championship signals season-long excellence, which has more meaning than any touranment result other than winning the National Championship. We all put different values on different things. Would I exchange a PAC championship for a loss in the Elite Eight? No way. A loss in the Final Four? Maybe. A loss in the championship? Probably. But that's just my value. Claiming a conference title has NO value is just f_cking silly.

And screw getting to the Rose Bowl. When we finally get to the Rose Bowl, it's going to be the worst f_cking night of my life if we lose it.
Puerco, you and I disagree on many things and candidly are message board enemies which is fine. I bet like 95% of the people here, if we met in person and discussed U of A sports we would like each other and get along but message boards are not the best way to communicate.

Couple things, when you hang a banner you are celebrating success. When I hear the numbers 2005 no matter the circumstance I do not think of success. I want to puke and to this day hate Mustafa Shakur and Deron Williams.

If you do not think there is a MAJOR difference between a Final Four banner and Elite Eight one, I simply can not take anything you say seriously. If you would only maybe exchange a PAC Championship for a loss in the final Four, I also can not take anything you say seriously. We just live in different worlds (My world is where 95% of college basketball fans live today though)
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

-NC
-FF
-Pac regular season
-#1 seed/rank
-Pac tourney

My list is NC and FF as we are a top 10 program and Top 10 programs should only care about those things. Great point about 97, I honestly don't even know if we won the Conference in 1994. I was in school for 2001 and don't remember if we won the conference title (actually think Stanford did right) that year

Duke did not win their Conference last year, do they care.

Winning the PAC is nice but its like having a big non-conference win for basketball, come March no one really cares outside of helping with your seeding.

My USC buddies were giving me a ton of crap for them beating us this year and my response, Its January, no one cares or will remember this game in 2 months. You guys might because your program is pathetic but we make a final four, I would not care if you had beaten us by 100.

Trust me, I think the NCAA should change the way the Tournament is done and make the regular season or conference championships matter more so it does have meaning (maybe give teams byes, I dont know).
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Every one of Lute's FF teams except for '97 either won or tied for the conference championship.

It's important, and we should hang banners for each one of them. At least we're not Carolina where they hang practically every number for every possible reason from the rafters of the DeanDome.

Quantity certainly does not equal quantity, and McKale Center is certainly not overdoing the banners yet in that regard.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah, it's a wonder we get sellouts to meaningless games. I'm not even gonna watch this foreplay. Waiting for March banging.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

So you watch, but the outcome is "meh"? Why cheer?
gumby

Post by gumby »

-NC
-FF
-Pac regular season
-#1 seed/rank
-Pac tourney

Couple of additions.

-NC
-FF
-Pac regular season
-#1 seed/rank
-Pac tourney
-mindless foreplay
-do my taxes
-party at Newport's house
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

gumby wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

So you watch, but the outcome is "meh"? Why cheer?
I used to get super upset at every loss in the regular season then I looked back at all the years I have been a fan and barely remember any regular season games anymore. Only ones I do remember were the ones I was at being a student. I would probably feel differently if I lived in Tucson as I could attend games at McKale. Literally watched the Cal game and about 30 seconds after it was over could not care about it anymore. Game affects seeding I guess but top programs are judged by how they do in the tournament. Conference championships to me mean nothing of real substance. Being a Lakers fan I have no idea how many Pacific division titles they have or for that matter how many Western Conference championships they have won. The Cardinals won the NFC West, anyone bragging about that?

One thing I love about college football is how the regular season does matter and the conference championship does matter. Makes every weekend have big games. At some point hopefully NCAA looks at fixing college basketball to place more emphasis on regular season until then tough for me to really get upset or care about us winning PAC 12 championships.

I really can not believe you said you would maybe trade a trip to the Final Four where we lose in the semi-finals to a PAC 12 championship. I sent a mass text to my U of A buddies asking their thoughts and the general consensus was it was the dumbest thing they have ever heard anyone say.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No pac 12 title this year. Not when we'll only win ~10 league games. Just need to hope to finish in thr top 4.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ASUHATER! wrote:No pac 12 title this year. Not when we'll only win ~10 league games. Just need to hope to finish in thr top 4.
You are such a clown
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Can't remember the last time I was this surprised by an outcome. Failure all around, beginning at the top. That was perhaps the worst defensive performance I've seen from a Sean Miller team.

Starting to appreciate the fall off from the last couple seasons to the current one. No TJ, no NJ, no RHJ. A lot of good players out there, no great ones.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Conference championships dont matter anymore. Who cares about putting guys in the league too, amirite?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

rgdeuce wrote:Conference championships dont matter anymore. Who cares about putting guys in the league too, amirite?
If we make a bunch of final fours and win a couple national championships but put no guys in the league I could care less. Putting guys in the league helps recruiting which obviously improves our chances at making final fours and winning national championships but at the end of the day all that matters is how we do in the tournament. That's all anyone really remembers outside of die hards

When I talk to non Arizona people about our team it always goes like this, Sean Miller is a good coach but is he ever going to take you to a final four?

I guess growing up a lakers fan has made me different then a lot of you. I just grew up with the mentality that making the playoffs is expected but winning championships is all that matters.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That was also a very ugly moment for CSM last night. Zeus is probably thinking, I stuck around for this?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I'm with newport on this one. Maybe not as extreme as him, as I do enjoy winning the P12/P12 Tournament when it happens (who doesn't?), and I really do enjoy 'the ride' of the season and am excited for each and every game. The regular season is what prepares the team for March so it's hard to sort of separate the two. But at this point, all I want is to taste the Final Four again and hopefully raise another title banner.

Especially after dominating the regular season accolades the last couple years and suffering two more devastating E8 losses to add to the hopper. I won't give a flying f*ck if Oregon or whoever wins the P12 this year if we somehow end up going to the Final Four. And even though a Final Four is just one more game than an E8, the Final Four is infinitely better. It's just the way it is. The tourney is where the money is made, no doubt, and at Arizona we should expect Final Fours.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:That was also a very ugly moment for CSM last night. Zeus is probably thinking, I stuck around for this?
Nah. Zeus has seen that before. We as fans just havent seen it live in a game. Sean Miller is regarded as arguably the most intense coach in the NCAA. I mean, thats nothing that hadn't happened to me before, high school and college levels. And no, I didnt play football where its even more prevalent. And when you bark back...

Its clear Zeus is part of the problem. The presser, he makes it clear that some forgot who the captain of the ship is. Knowing that, and Zeus' response to that, its easy to see why it escalated to that.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Look, I want a final four and a natty more than anyone, but a programs success is built on a totality of things: conference dominance, recruiting dominance, consistent tourny appearances, deep tournament runs on a consistent basis, final fours, a natty at some point, putting guys in the league and some being all stars or very good players. I'm not sacrificing any of those things because we will have all of that with time.

Millers teams have ran into the wrong matchups on the wrong nights and had some real shit luck in the elite 8. So what. We arent choking when the big game is on the line. Big difference from a Peyton Manning who compiles regular season records and folds when it counts.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As others have noted, it's all about the FF. Miller has achieved every milestone but this one (and of course a NC). I do want to win Pac titles and thought we would get another this year, but if this team peaks late and gets to a FF, I'll be ecstatic. Don't see it happening, though. If we cannot defend Oregon, good luck defending OU or UNC or Iowa or Maryland or any of the other teams likely to be in the round of 16.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Still plenty of ball left to be played. And we have one of the better freshman in the country coming back fairly soon. If last nights game was February 28th id be more concerned
gumby

Post by gumby »

After last night's game, I'm switching to the "meaningless foreplay" mindset.

See y'all in March.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:After last night's game, I'm switching to the "meaningless foreplay" mindset.

See y'all in March.
It will be bangin'!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion