Rawle Alkins

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Rawle Alkins

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Someone needs to dampen the enthusiasm, so here goes: Randy Brandy will continue to improve and keep Rawle as the 4th most productive player on the team. But Alkins' defense and hustle will be contagious and make the difference for this team. I predict a single digit win in the 80s over ASU in McKale to end the year and the Devil's perfect record.
I get that they're good, but I'd be stunned if they maintain things undefeated for too long. We give them problems, IMO, and we get them at Wells Fargo. We have enough guard/wing depth to match and there's really only one team nationally that has a shot at defending Ayton, and it ain't ASU.

It feels good to have a full team again. Against Bama, I felt confident that we had it for most of the way, and I haven't felt like that since the lost week in Atlantis.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ASU will be a huge test to our perimeter defense. Petty and Sexton are better prospects than anyone on ASU, but ASU's senior trio of guards make much better decisions on offense and play with better chemistry. If they get dribble penetration, they'll make us pay.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Great to have him back. Sure missed that spin move of his. Gorgeous.
Right where I want to be.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

How much can Rawle play the 4? If Ristic is scoring, I want him in the game. If not, let's continue to develop Randolph. It is almost a shame to not start Brandon after the last few games. He has improved steadily after the concussion. The other rotation players seem to be Lee for the big off the bench and Alex. We need to keep giving the backup PG minutes when it is least likely to hurt us regardless of how he plays. (Did I really just say that?) Let Akot's knees heal completely. Give Pinder and Smith walk-on minutes.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

DiehardDave37 wrote:How much can Rawle play the 4? If Ristic is scoring, I want him in the game. If not, let's continue to develop Randolph. It is almost a shame to not start Brandon after the last few games. He has improved steadily after the concussion. The other rotation players seem to be Lee for the big off the bench and Alex. We need to keep giving the backup PG minutes when it is least likely to hurt us regardless of how he plays. (Did I really just say that?) Let Akot's knees heal completely. Give Pinder and Smith walk-on minutes.
In a game against ASU, Rawle could play every minute at the four. They split their time between 6'5" Justice and the 6'9" Shibel (foreign kid) and both are shooters rather than bruisers. More important to be able to stay in front of Justice's drives and close out on the foreign kid than to hold the paint. Rawle is stronger than both and has the wingspan to reach each of them if his conditioning is on.

If it's Ayton and Ristic... then you've got Ayton covering those little guys (which, I guess that works) but then he's sucked out of the paint where while he doesn't block well he does alter shot attempts. And then Ristic is on the 6'8" or 6'10" smaller, faster center... which has been a problem for him in the past.

I'm just not convinced Ristic can play defense in this one. I'd even take Ira Lee at the C position backing up Ayton.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:How much can Rawle play the 4? If Ristic is scoring, I want him in the game. If not, let's continue to develop Randolph. It is almost a shame to not start Brandon after the last few games. He has improved steadily after the concussion. The other rotation players seem to be Lee for the big off the bench and Alex. We need to keep giving the backup PG minutes when it is least likely to hurt us regardless of how he plays. (Did I really just say that?) Let Akot's knees heal completely. Give Pinder and Smith walk-on minutes.
In a game against ASU, Rawle could play every minute at the four. They split their time between 6'5" Justice and the 6'9" Shibel (foreign kid) and both are shooters rather than bruisers. More important to be able to stay in front of Justice's drives and close out on the foreign kid than to hold the paint. Rawle is stronger than both and has the wingspan to reach each of them if his conditioning is on.

If it's Ayton and Ristic... then you've got Ayton covering those little guys (which, I guess that works) but then he's sucked out of the paint where while he doesn't block well he does alter shot attempts. And then Ristic is on the 6'8" or 6'10" smaller, faster center... which has been a problem for him in the past.

I'm just not convinced Ristic can play defense in this one. I'd even take Ira Lee at the C position backing up Ayton.
Lee will hopefully be ready for the taller kid. He and Rawle can get major time. Lee has struggled with shotblockers around the rim, but ASU is not imposing.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Can we at least get Rawle to change shorts with Dillon Smith? Or maybe something between the two of them for each of them?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Can we at least get Rawle to change shorts with Dillon Smith? Or maybe something between the two of them for each of them?
With the leggings, it's hard to tell how short Rawle's shorts are...but they're really short.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I saw them when someone was shooting a free throw, couldn't get my phone out in time to get a pic of them to post to start a rawles shorts thread. Got the Rawle dukes going on. Brought me back to the heady days before the fab 5.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Some great shots on ArizonaWildcats

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Great to have him back but yeah those are running shorts haha
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

I like it. With the leggings, I'm not seeing a weird amount of "leg" due to the short shorts, and Rawle gets the freedom of movement.

Dylan Smith's shorts look like they touch his ankles. It's a marvel he doesn't trip every time he runs down the court...
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

qwertyus wrote:I like it. With the leggings, I'm not seeing a weird amount of "leg" due to the short shorts, and Rawle gets the freedom of movement.

Dylan Smith's shorts look like they touch his ankles. It's a marvel he doesn't trip every time he runs down the court...
yeah, short shorts are better to play in, you just look silly. Fortunately, Rawle found a way for it to look almost unnoticeable.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:
qwertyus wrote:I like it. With the leggings, I'm not seeing a weird amount of "leg" due to the short shorts, and Rawle gets the freedom of movement.

yeah, short shorts are better to play in, you just look silly. Fortunately, Rawle found a way for it to look almost unnoticeable.
I started high school in 1996 and this is literally against every belief I have. I couldn't even tell you what shorts that don't approach the knee feel like.

No one wants to see the hairy crevice of the back of my knee.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:

I started high school in 1996 and this is literally against every belief I have. I couldn't even tell you what shorts that don't approach the knee feel like.

No one wants to see the hairy crevice of the back of my knee.
I wouldn't mind
gumby

Post by gumby »

Basket by The Mummy.
Right where I want to be.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rawle Alkins ready for increased role, could start at New Mexico
Alkins played 22 minutes in his season debut, and is in line for more playing time Saturday in Albuquerque
By Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Dec 13, 2017, 1:05pm PST

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... urn-injury" target="_blank

Cats are better with Rawle on the floor. Tougher, more confident, (so it seems).

Miller:
Rawle … he’s only played in one game and I’d say he’s 60 percent the player he can be. We haven’t been at full strength and I’m hoping we can have the luxury of getting there and playing our best basketball down the road.”
Last edited by HiCat on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

60% sounds realistic - his shot was off from the line and from deep, and while he made some solid defensive plays he also gave up some looks you wouldn't expect and committed 4 fouls in his 22min. I assume that's conditioning and getting back into the flow of the game.

I'm not expecting him to be 100% at New Mexico, nor do I think we'll need him to be. Just need him ready for the end of the month match-up.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Just get him in and out of the Pit safely.....the whole team will probably need rabies shots afterwards....ughh, I like our playing all the local area D1 schools but with a crappy UNM Team at the Pit, don’t see much upside other than a good, nasty, hostile road trip experience to toughen the team up.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Someone needs to dampen the enthusiasm
won’t be me, Alkins is lookin beastly
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I can't help but think " garter belt and stockings".
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He might be decent.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well thank god he's back and that hole is filled. Now on to the real issue with this year's team....why is Dylan Smith getting more minutes than Brandon Randolph? Why is Dylan Smith getting minutes at all honestly?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think the Smith minutes are explained by quantum basketball. Only Miller understands, and to the rest of us it looks stupid. But somewhere beyond all things rational, it makes sense to those who follow quantum basketball.
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

Postmaster wrote:
I can't help but think " garter belt and stockings".
The rose goes in the front big guy

SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Rawle is better than I thought he would be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Miller made the point that the team is going through the challenge of finding everyone's role during Rawle's comeback, and Arizona will be much better after the next couple of games while they figure that out.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Rawle had a terrific game. He's finding his shot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

https://youtu.be/_R9xexsajOE" target="_blank

Highlights of Rawle. The first play apparently occurred in 1980.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Rawle went 60 to 100 real quick.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Is Rawle playing himself into the second round this year?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

enfuego wrote:Is Rawle playing himself into the second round this year?
Just like Malik Newman is playing him self out of the draft! Get the fuck out of here you lost to ASU and Washington both in the state of Kansas!
Bangkok Wildcat

The Dude has been back only 3 games and you’re already talking smack? Smh.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Rawle is probably a better pro prospect than Trier. It's close between the two of them. Trier is more of a natural scorer, but Rawle is a better defender, rebounder, and passer.

I'd say Rawle is looking good for late 1st round.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
The Dude has been back only 3 games and you’re already talking smack? Smh.
Well, 4 games.

I'm not even sure what his point is. Rawle was projected in the 2nd round entering the year. It's a deep draft. If he's playing himself somewhere, he'd go up to the first or down out of the draft.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Come talk to me about his draft stock in March. First half last season vs second half last season, night and day. He hasn't found his rhythm from outside yet. He needs that "threat" to really open up the most effective part of his game.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

There will be a game (or two) this season in which we are locked in a dogfight. And the difference will be an offensive rebound and put back by Rawle.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I'd be surprised if your crystal ball isn't accurate.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

zonagrad wrote:There will be a game (or two) this season in which we are locked in a dogfight. And the difference will be an offensive rebound and put back by Rawle.
I would not be surprised if that was tomorrow. Savage travels.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

zonagrad wrote:There will be a game (or two) this season in which we are locked in a dogfight. And the difference will be an offensive rebound and put back by Rawle.
His toughness in finishing through contact and grabbing offensive boards is a force multiplier for us - him and Ayton are our intimidators.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

The Ringer's NBA Mock Draft has Rawle in the lottery

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1/10 ... ft-january" target="_blank
Bangkok Wildcat

Anybody have additional info on his foot and the expectations around how long he might be kept out? Not good at all....Hope / expect he’s kept out vs Stanford and given additional time to recover.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Even with Rawle, winning at Palo Alto could be too tall an order for this slow-starting, unsteady team. Hope I’m wrong.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Anybody have additional info on his foot and the expectations around how long he might be kept out? Not good at all....Hope / expect he’s kept out vs Stanford and given additional time to recover.
It’s just sore. Tests came back negative as far as reinjury. So really it’s just a matter of if/when the soreness goes away.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Anybody have additional info on his foot and the expectations around how long he might be kept out? Not good at all....Hope / expect he’s kept out vs Stanford and given additional time to recover.
It’s just sore. Tests came back negative as far as reinjury. So really it’s just a matter of if/when the soreness goes away.
Thanks Chicat....guess I’m just concerned as to further issues this year. Hope this isn’t a nagging concern for him as we desperately need him if we want to win the conference, tourney and go deep in the NCAAs. SavageLife is needed with the lack of clear floor leadership IMHO.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

FWIW I had the same break four years ago and still get some nagging pain every now and again - it's disconcerting but not debilitating. I assume if that's Rawle's condition they're holding him out for the mental aspect of it (play when you feel confident on your feet) and not the physical aspect (play when your feet can hold you).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Thanks Chicat....guess I’m just concerned as to further issues this year. Hope this isn’t a nagging concern for him as we desperately need him if we want to win the conference, tourney and go deep in the NCAAs. SavageLife is needed with the lack of clear floor leadership IMHO.
Soreness is never great, but as long as there's no damage, the day to day way we're handling it is the best we can do.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

YoDeFoe wrote:FWIW I had the same break four years ago and still get some nagging pain every now and again - it's disconcerting but not debilitating. I assume if that's Rawle's condition they're holding him out for the mental aspect of it (play when you feel confident on your feet) and not the physical aspect (play when your feet can hold you).
Well said, YDF----"Play when you feel confident on your feet." I think we've all sensed Coach has a great feel for the "confidence" issue and never pushes a player in a case like this; rather, listens and makes responsible play-or-not decisions with player safety foremost.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Even with Rawle, winning at Palo Alto could be too tall an order for this slow-starting, unsteady team. Hope I’m wrong.
Or, we could just win like we have all but one game since the Bahamas, and just win because we are better.

Even with a slow start. Or being unsteady.

Maybe a slow, unsteady start has a fast, look at us finish. Or we don't start slow because Stanford demands more respect than Cal. Or January 20 is the day the first 4 shots fall. Or Ayton hears the CBS music on the monitor when someone unplugs their headset and plays like it is March Madness.

Or it snows in Palo Alto and the game is cancelled.

All of this is more possible than me believing it is "too tall an order" for this Arizona team to win at Stanford. A challenge? Yup. A game we could lose? Absolutely. ASU opened -4 to -5, action took that down, but ASU was favored. I imagine our line is held, but if it can be set? UA -3 without Alkins, UA - 5 with him.

This seems like some old time posting here...but, no, this is not "too tall an order" for Arizona to go into Maples and beat 11-8 Stanford, a team with an impressive 5 game winning streak beating one ranked (soon to not be...ASU) opponent. A streak that came after losing to that dumpster fire of a Cal team and being beat by 21 by that Kansas team that ASU beat.

Portland State is pretty good...for Portland St. Portland State played with Duke for 25 minutes, only lost to Butler by a bucket, and understandably has dropped 3 in the rugged Big Sky. So Stanford getting throttled by Portland St...that was so long ago, it shouldn't matter, right? (Like the Bahamas...).

But they beat UW and WSU on the road, so...that puts it in the "tall order for Arizona" category, I suppose.

We'll forget they are 0-2 in the Big Sky...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

According to Pascoe, Rawle will play Saturday.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?