Rawle Alkins

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Rawle Alkins

Post by Puerco »

Welcome aboard! You deserve your own thread.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
whatisee

Re: Rawle Alkins

Post by whatisee »

Huge huge pickup for the Cat's! Looking forward to seeing him play the 2 and dominate.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rawle's got game. Kid gets to the hoop.

Video: Rawle Alkins dominates at adidas Gauntlet finale

http://www.insidethehall.com/2015/07/16 ... et-finale/" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Was very impressed with him during his announcement. You can tell he is a kid with a good head on his shoulders but still has that alpha mentality that he is the baddest mf'er on the planet. I love having that gritty east coast style of player on a team that generally has a lot of laid-back west coast guys, and I wish we could have a Parrom, TJ or Alkins on every team. And the "Lance Stephenson but with a better shot comp" has me drooling.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I like his game. Honestly, he's better suited for the college game than the NBA. He has the physicality to bully people in college, but lacks a little height to do it at the next level. A strong 6'4 kid can wreck shop in college.

If Trier stays, the 2 guard position is locked down.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

He's Marcus Smart, only more polished at this point. Yea huge impact next year.

Gotta wonder about the qualifications tho. His tape is THAT good - with the other big programs staying away there must be considerable risk.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

This article says Alkins can play the 3:

http://arizona.247sports.com/Bolt/Arizo ... e-44150219" target="_blank
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

He can definitely play the 2 or 3 here. His hops are insane for a guy so stocky. Gonna be nice having multiple players that can take the ball to the hoop with authority and also make some iso plays when needed. Right now only Trier can do that. I cringe half the time KA, GY, or PJC take the ball to the hole.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

[b]Defensively is where he could make a major impact for Arizona and continue to really improve under Sean Miller. Alkins has all of the tools necessary to be an awesome defensive player because of his high motor, good length and terrific athleticism.[/b] Look for Miller to really take advantage of that next season and make Alkins a really strong player on the defensive end.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... to-arizona" target="_blank

Rawle looks big and strong enough to bang with the best of them in the paint.
If his defense is close to RHJ, goodness gracious guys..we're in for some great basketball!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does RA's game remind anyone of past Cats or current pros? So far I've heard Lance Stephenson.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote:Does RA's game remind anyone of past Cats or current pros? So far I've heard Lance Stephenson.
I see a little Hassan Adams in his game, but a little less springy.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Oladipo
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Does RA's game remind anyone of past Cats or current pros? So far I've heard Lance Stephenson.
I don't see him as springy enough to match Oladipo or Hassan. I tossed out the shorter Stephenson comparison and I'd stand by that. He's a good athlete, but not going to jump over you.

If I was limited to ex Cats, I would say a shorter Stanley.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Looks like Quinn Buckner (look it up, kids). Is bigger and much better offensively. Hassan didn't have a handle like that.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wow he looks extremely comfortable with his left. Didnt realize he was a righty until his shot went up. Very impressive for a high schooler
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote:
How can anyone watch this and say he isn't "springy"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ngQ0kG-sI" target="_blank
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

I don't think anyone said he isn't springy. Hassan is at another level and I stand by that after watching the video.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

Oladipo and Hassan were guys who did and could compete in the NBA dunk contest. Alkins is a good athlete, but it's a difference between good and great.

That's why I compared him to Stanley. Another guy who is certainly a really good athlete, but not the elite bounce.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Oladipo and Hassan were guys who did and could compete in the NBA dunk contest. Alkins is a good athlete, but it's a difference between good and great.

That's why I compared him to Stanley. Another guy who is certainly a really good athlete, but not the elite bounce.
Okay. Got it. I think what impressed me most about what I've seen of RA is that he seems very far along in his development. Great footwork, excellent feel for the game, nice form on his jumper, quick first step, and he's physically advanced. He doesn't have the body of a typical 18 year old, which reminds me of Stanley.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:Looks like Quinn Buckner (look it up, kids). Is bigger and much better offensively. Hassan didn't have a handle like that.
I know who Quinn Buckner was but he was a bit before my time.

That mixtape is sick. All of them are - but the assortment of offensive skills he demonstrated in it are... UNREAL. I honestly do not know who I would compare him to.

He is not as vertically explosive as Hassan, but I'd say he has an edge on Stanley in that regard. He kills both of them when it co see to putting the ball on the floor. And he is definitely a better shooter than Hassan.

I do not remember the last guard we had who was that good off the bounce with a tight handle and wicked quick first step and change of direction / crossover. Ankle-breaker. Big. strong. Scores in a variety of ways and looks to be a good shooter.

This kid is going to be a star. We got a damn good one here.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Thanks for this thread Puerco....absolutely, this stud needs his own thread. Welcome aboard Rawle!

Sean Miller is a witch ;-).....Can't wait to see how this thread develops next season. Bear Down Rawle!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I will take a shorter Stanley Johnson. Based on what I am reading, his offensive game (better finisher, a tad better outside) may be a little more advanced than Stanley's was at the same age? Fair to say Spliff?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I will take a shorter Stanley Johnson. Based on what I am reading, his offensive game (better finisher, a tad better outside) may be a little more advanced than Stanley's was at the same age? Fair to say Spliff?
Yeah, although I think Stanley's 3 extra inches even it out a bit. I'm not sure he's a better shooter than Stan. I would classify both in the "better scorer than pure shooter" camp. I do think he may have better handles. I think Rawle is a better finisher for his size, but Stan just had better size, so I might think Stan has the pure edge.

Dude's a solid prospect. I think he is very college ready. I don't think his upside projects as well to the NBA as other 5 stars, but that's somewhat beside the point so long as he's at AZ.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Book! Doing his thing.

While the Wildcats were not considered a top contender for Alkins until recently, UA assistant coach Book Richardson has been recruiting him since his freshman season of high school

The Rawle Alkins Blog: Breaking down the Arizona decision

By Rawle Alkins March 9, 2016

My goal is to win a national championship! Anything less is unacceptable and I’m going to do anything I can to get it done. The Final Four next year is in Phoenix so that would be crazy for our fans.

We’ll have big expectations, but I don’t want anything less than that!

I’m not sure who all we’re trying to get now; I’ve been hearing a lot about Terrance Ferguson and Josh Jackson maybe coming and both would be big for us.

Now that I know where I’m going it’s definitely a load off. I’m staying in the weight room now lifting light weights. It’s the first time I’ve lifted in my life and I’m loving it! Arizona is sending me workouts so I’ll be ready when I get there.

I love their trainers and nutritionists there at Arizona too. They measured my body fat when I was out there and it was at 17 percent, since then I’ve got it down to 12 percent.

The goal is to get down to five percent. I WILL get there, trust me.

I’m telling you guys you’re gonna see a new Rawle Alkins; one that you’ve never seen before and one that I’ve never seen before. Get ready.

No matter what, no matter if I’m playing at Arizona or in North Carolina my senior year I’m ALWAYS gonna rep New York City!

I’m just a kid from Brooklyn and I love my city. I’ll have that in my heart at all times.

Of course I want to send a shoutout to my Arizona boys in the Pac-12 tournament this week. I definitely feel like we’ll win it. We’re winners out here!

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/the-rawle-a ... a-wildcats" target="_blank
prh

Post by prh »

From HiCat's article:
The reason why I loved Arizona so much is simple: Winning is the only option there.

Like I said in my last blog, I saw them lose to Oregon and it was literally like the end of the world there. I love that and I want to always be associated with winners.

Coach (Sean) Miller told me with team success comes individual success and I agree with that 100 percent. A lot of players worry about who’s gonna be on the roster, but I only worry about winning.

The rest will take care of itself.
Plus everything else in the article. Great read, absolutely love his attitude.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Holy shit, instantly a huge Rawle fan.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If Rawle can walk the walk and Trier doesn't return, he's our starter in November at the 2.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I will take a shorter Stanley Johnson. Based on what I am reading, his offensive game (better finisher, a tad better outside) may be a little more advanced than Stanley's was at the same age? Fair to say Spliff?
Yeah, although I think Stanley's 3 extra inches even it out a bit. I'm not sure he's a better shooter than Stan. I would classify both in the "better scorer than pure shooter" camp. I do think he may have better handles. I think Rawle is a better finisher for his size, but Stan just had better size, so I might think Stan has the pure edge.

Dude's a solid prospect. I think he is very college ready. I don't think his upside projects as well to the NBA as other 5 stars, but that's somewhat beside the point so long as he's at AZ.
If he is really 3" shorter than Stanley then he is only 6'3".

I think Stanley was a better shooter than advertised, although Rawle looks a little better to me. Rawle looks to have significantly better handles than Stanley (or any 2 guard we have had in recent memory, for that matter).

As for finishing, I think Stanley was really disappointing on that front - we'll see how Rawle is when it is not on a mixtape. I think Trier is an absolute stud in that regard - one of the best we've had despite his lack of explosive athleticism.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Chicat wrote:Holy shit, instantly a huge Rawle fan.
My words exactly.

As for comps, I like the physical comp to Marcus Smart. Even some apparent similarities in their games. But I can't go so far as saying Alkins is better at this point in their careers. Smart was damn good even before he got to OSU. Man, I like Smart's game and his NBA future. If Alkins plays that hard and with that impact on defense, we're in for a treat.

What gets me excited about Alkins is what appears to be a good feel for the game combined with a quality handle, strength, athleticism, and an attacking mentality. It seems like he could post a great free throw rating. Free throws, rebounding, and defense key winning basketball. The potential is there in each of those categories.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

prh wrote:From HiCat's article:
The reason why I loved Arizona so much is simple: Winning is the only option there.

Like I said in my last blog, I saw them lose to Oregon and it was literally like the end of the world there. I love that and I want to always be associated with winners.

Coach (Sean) Miller told me with team success comes individual success and I agree with that 100 percent. A lot of players worry about who’s gonna be on the roster, but I only worry about winning.

The rest will take care of itself.
Plus everything else in the article. Great read, absolutely love his attitude.
Yep, agreed.....I remember when I first really heard of him after the KS commit and thinking how cocky he sounded BUT I didn't know much about him......his take on our Oregon loss was awesome IMHO. Big fan ever since I read that....even before he committed.

NO EASY BUCKETS! ;-). Let's get some East Coast badass talent meshed with our West Coast talent again :-)
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... to-arizona" target="_blank

Josh Gershon: Alkins is a tough and physical guard who plays with many of the rugged qualities that kids in his area often have. His strong frame and toughness make him a difficult player to contain off the dribble, particularly in transition. He's a very capable slasher in half court, who can also pull-up and his jumpers, particularly from midrange. He's improved as a three-point shooter and will need to continue to get better there. Alkins' toughness and motor make him a good defender who should be able to guard twos and threes at the next level. He's one of the best scorers in the class and a plus defender on the other end as well.

Check out Rawle's tie.. ;)

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... -five-star" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If he is really 3" shorter than Stanley then he is only 6'3".

I think Stanley was a better shooter than advertised, although Rawle looks a little better to me. Rawle looks to have significantly better handles than Stanley (or any 2 guard we have had in recent memory, for that matter).

As for finishing, I think Stanley was really disappointing on that front - we'll see how Rawle is when it is not on a mixtape. I think Trier is an absolute stud in that regard - one of the best we've had despite his lack of explosive athleticism.
Stanley was a listed 6'7, Rawle is listed 6'4. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Sta ... son-46065/" target="_blank

On the remainder, the only point I disagree a bit on is Stanley's finishing. He was always a good finisher, just maybe not elite. Expectations were just a little unrealistic for him but he was always efficient for a wing.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

After initially leaving the Wildcats off his final list, Alkins changed his mind in late December after speaking at length with Miller and assistant Book Richardson. A February visit to campus sealed the deal. The program’s history of developing wing scorers and the opportunity for immediate playing time make it a natural fit.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... ean-miller" target="_blank

I really like this kid. Going to be so much fun watching him getting to the hoop.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I like that his name is pronounced (Rawley), rather than (Rawl), like I thought it was. Just sounds like a badass throwback basketball name. Spliff, I remember seeing Stanley's numbers in traffic inside five feet on one of his scouting reports. They were bad, think they ranked among the bottom of similar NBA draft prospects. I do have what sticks out in my head, and that was him rarely finishing around any bodies within five feet off a drive or cut. I'm sure Alkins doesn't have those advanced numbers floating around yet, and being at a 2-3 inch disadvantage to Stanley is obviously going to make things more difficult. But I felt Stanley was a rare breed of not good when it came to that for elite wings, especially considering his superior mass and strength to all of his peers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I like that his name is pronounced (Rawley), rather than (Rawl), like I thought it was. Just sounds like a badass throwback basketball name. Spliff, I remember seeing Stanley's numbers in traffic inside five feet on one of his scouting reports. They were bad, think they ranked among the bottom of similar NBA draft prospects. I do have what sticks out in my head, and that was him rarely finishing around any bodies within five feet off a drive or cut. I'm sure Alkins doesn't have those advanced numbers floating around yet, and being at a 2-3 inch disadvantage to Stanley is obviously going to make things more difficult. But I felt Stanley was a rare breed of not good when it came to that for elite wings, especially considering his superior mass and strength to all of his peers.
This is gonna be an entirely anecdotal defense of Stanley, but I always felt his numbers in that area were a little unfair. Stanley was always a particularly productive offensive rebounder for a wing, and that got him a lot of tip shots that other wings didn't have and that were lower percentage shots than most close shots. For my money, tips and other putback attempts are going to have a lower success rate than more "normal" shots at the rim.

Here's an article I think that supports what you were saying. http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/23 ... ey-johnson" target="_blank

My only comeback to that would be that the 32 shot sample size for Stan is small and susceptible to some influences like the tip thing I'm talking about. That said, I don't have an actual stat for tips to back my argument.

Final point, when you google "Stanley Johnson rim finisher" google thinks you meant "Stanley Johnson trim finisher."
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

rgdeuce wrote:I like that his name is pronounced (Rawley), rather than (Rawl), like I thought it was. Just sounds like a badass throwback basketball name. Spliff, I remember seeing Stanley's numbers in traffic inside five feet on one of his scouting reports. They were bad, think they ranked among the bottom of similar NBA draft prospects. I do have what sticks out in my head, and that was him rarely finishing around any bodies within five feet off a drive or cut. I'm sure Alkins doesn't have those advanced numbers floating around yet, and being at a 2-3 inch disadvantage to Stanley is obviously going to make things more difficult. But I felt Stanley was a rare breed of not good when it came to that for elite wings, especially considering his superior mass and strength to all of his peers.
This mirrors my recollection/ perception as well.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

If what I've heard about Rawle's and JJ's defense is true (hard to tell from mix tapes), AND we land JJ, just imagine what we'll look like on the perimeter next year... The post may be a different story. We'll miss ya, Zeus!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Puerco wrote:If what I've heard about Rawle's and JJ's defense is true (hard to tell from mix tapes), AND we land JJ, just imagine what we'll look like on the perimeter next year... The post may be a different story. We'll miss ya, Zeus!
A defensive lineup of:
KA
RA
JJ
RS
CC

This would be simply insane once Ray is totally healthy. He talked about how important it has been for him to watch the game from the sideline and I have no doubt that will greatly help him defensively once he finally gets on the court.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spliff, I actually have a decent defense for Stanley there and I don't know why the memory didnt pop into my head until right now: remember how many times Stanley got fouled on those shots but it was never called because of how strong he was? The Shaq effect? That probably is what pushed the numbers from ehh to dreadful. Id still consider him below average in that regard though taking his talent and size into account.

I know the NBA is a completely different game but ive watched quite a few of his games this year and its an ongoing deficiency in his game. Has had quite a few really nice drives only to miss the reverse or double pump layup. Higher difficulty shots, but if theres any sort of contest Im not sure I've seen him make more than a couple of them. Ill have to check his numbers tomorrow when im not on an iphone
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Miller can sure recruit like no other - this kid looks like a stud and gritty too, kinda nasty with some attitude and intensity. I like it.

The Momo/Parrom days, NY guys, those were fun times.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:Miller can sure recruit like no other - this kid looks like a stud and gritty too, kinda nasty with some attitude and intensity. I like it.

The Momo/Parrom days, NY guys, those were fun times.
Was that praise for CSM I just saw come from RiseAndFart??

Looks like someone forgot to log out of their sock account. :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

He always praises Miller for recruiting. He only really bitches about substitution patterns and playing packline all the time.

Come to think of it, his actual point isn't all wrong. He strays away from reality when he comes and tells us how substitution patterns and the commitment to man to man is the reason for every single Arizona loss. As if UA would be undefeated every season if Miller would just pull his head out.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

RiseAndFart is the funniest thing I've seen all week :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:He always praises Miller for recruiting. He only really bitches about substitution patterns and playing packline all the time.

Come to think of it, his actual point isn't all wrong. He strays away from reality when he comes and tells us how substitution patterns and the commitment to man to man is the reason for every single Arizona loss. As if UA would be undefeated every season if Miller would just pull his head out.
You forgot taking timeouts. Every single UA loss is due to man defense, subs and timeouts. No UA victory is attributable to those same factors.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote: he tells us how substitution patterns and the commitment to man to man is the reason for every single Arizona loss. As if UA would be undefeated every season if Miller would just pull his head out.

You forgot taking timeouts. Every single UA loss is due to man defense, subs and timeouts. No UA victory is attributable to those same factors.
wrong. these factors are the headwinds that stop teams full of 5*s and future NBA starters from reaching Final Fours

let's not derail the thread, welcome to AZ Rawle!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote: he tells us how substitution patterns and the commitment to man to man is the reason for every single Arizona loss. As if UA would be undefeated every season if Miller would just pull his head out.

wrong. these factors are the headwinds that stop teams full of 5*s and future NBA starters from reaching Final Fours

Thought it was close to un-guardable 6'11 guys going HAM and guys throwing 360 fadeaway rainbow three pointers off one foot from 50 feet out through the hoop?

Timeout management, substitution patterns, and man to man defense must have been have been what took that 09-10 Kentucky team out. I mean, surely a roster that contained JOHN WALL, DEMARCUS COUSINS, ERIC BLEDSOE, Patrick Patterson, Darius Miller, Daniel Orton, Deandre Liggins, Josh Harrelson (how many NBA players have we gotten up to, 8?) should have beaten a number 2 team and gone onto the final four? Right? Not like Wall and Cousins are among the best at their respective positions in the NBA right now, and Bledsoe is a borderline All Star, right? G Damn John Calipari, I knew he shouldnt have call that timeout with 16:02 left in the game, cost em!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

You know, if we had played zone, I'm sure Wisky wouldn't have had a record setting day in the Elite Eight second half last year. I mean, the one footed 28 footer Dekker hit would have be totally prevented by zone. Or a timeout.

Crazy how FF's are the measure, so Kryzyzewski went from great, to terrible, back to great in such a short time period. It has to be a mirage, because I don't even remember him playing much zone.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

were some of the mix tapes of Rawle from Rucker Park? it looked like it - sick! Welcome to AZ Rrawle , the RecCenter probably doesn't stack up to Rucker but hey it's air conditioned

BTFD!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Alkins has the ball handling skills of an AND-1 Mixtape-er and elite point guard. He can get anywhere he wants with a wide range of crossovers, step backs and behind the back dribbles that will leave you mesmerized:

http://www.todaysu.com/recruiting/cbb-r ... le-alkins/" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

New Arizona commit Rawle Alkins making a play for five-star Terrance Ferguson

USA TODAY High School Sports March 12, 2016

Rawle Alkins has been committed to the University of Arizona for only a few days after his midweek announcement, but the No. 17 ranked player in the Class of 2016 is already working 0n another high-profile recruit.

Saturday via Twitter, Alkins urged Arizona fans to show more love to Terrance Ferguson, a shooting guard from Advanced Prep (Dallas) who is ranked as the No. 13 player in the class.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/new-arizona ... e-ferguson" target="_blank