Chance Comanche

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Chance Comanche

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I can't find a thread devoted to him, but there should be. He's the type of kid that you can build around for four years. The way he's answered the bell late in the year after getting very little pt for a while says a lot about his character and potential.
3goggles

Re: Chance Comanche

Post by 3goggles »

Needs to be playing over Dusan.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He is going to be very good
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He's the reason Ristic is going to stay home next season.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

No idea why he and Simon are not in the game right now. Anderson and all of the guards not named Trier are absolute shit tonight so might as well play the youth.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Merkin wrote:He's the reason Ristic is going to stay home next season.
If you're right Merkin, then we need another big desperately......that would leave just Chance and LM as our real bigs (besides the talk about playing RS at the 4). I still believe Dusan can turn it around but he's definitely a 4 year player.
az91

Post by az91 »

Ristic ' s regression during the second part of conference play is the most puzzling thing this season except for Pitts' exit.
Bangkok Wildcat

az91 wrote:
Ristic ' s regression during the second part of conference play is the most puzzling thing this season except for Pitts' exit.
WORD!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He better not. With Ristic, we have 3 viable post players. We need all 3.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Love Chance. He was in during key times tonight. Miller is showing confidence in him. The kid is very good and only getting better. Will be a good one...
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

He went from a probable redshirt to playing important minutes in big games. Becoming a big fan of him.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Thumbs up for Chance.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Chance is gonna be great. He'll be a straight up monster as an upper classman.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

I wish Chance got 20 mpg.

Honestly, Ristic should play ONLY when there is another big, slow center playing on the other team. He is worthless on Offense and Defense in any other situation. And if the other team is playing a zone like tonight? Forget about it, Ristic should NEVER see the court.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Proud and excited for Chance Comanche becoming the next great Arizona big man.

Ristic is just too Euro for this level of game. It's how our '84 college kids beat Arvydas Sabonis. Just a half-step behind the competition.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hes been one of the few bright spots in an ugly few weeks, outside of the last 1:48 of the cal game and senior night. Shown some nice finishes off the glass too with both hands.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:I wish Chance got 20 mpg.

Honestly, Ristic should play ONLY when there is another big, slow center playing on the other team. He is worthless on Offense and Defense in any other situation. And if the other team is playing a zone like tonight? Forget about it, Ristic should NEVER see the court.
Not to move away from the topic, which is that I'm excited for 3 years of watching Chance develop, but Ristic is in a funk right now. He's got weak areas, but the issue right now is that he's not doing the things he usually does well (post scoring) to compensate.

Flatly, the 4 guys who surround Dusan on D haven't exactly been camouflaging his weaknesses lately either. He will need help on D, and right now it isn't there.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Starting Center next year or I riot
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

if only chance hadn't been injured all season and was able play more!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

catgrad97 wrote:Proud and excited for Chance Comanche becoming the next great Arizona big man.

Ristic is just too Euro for this level of game. It's how our '84 college kids beat Arvydas Sabonis. Just a half-step behind the competition.

Ditto. Chance is much tougher inside. His instincts on defense way better than Ristic. Should be the first big off the bench perhaps? Depends on the situation I guess. Love this kid.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

az91

Post by az91 »

Could Chance and LM be on the court at the same time?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

az91 wrote:Could Chance and LM be on the court at the same time?

LM at the 4 and CC at the 5, bet we see that a lot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Thumbs up for this.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Merkin wrote:
az91 wrote:Could Chance and LM be on the court at the same time?

LM at the 4 and CC at the 5, bet we see that a lot.
Trying to imagine the most athletic lineup we could go with. Let's try this!
PG-Kobi Simmons
SG-Terrence Ferguson
SF-Josh Jackson
PF-Ray Smith
C-Chance Comanche

Wow that's young but find me a more athletic 5 in the pac fuck in the whole nation!

2 deep
PG-Kaddem Allen, Kobi Simmons
SG-Alonzo Trier, Rawli Alkins
SF-Josh Jackosn, Terrence Ferguson
PF-Ray Smith, Lauri Markinan
C-Chance Comanche, Dusan Ristic

With Simon and PJC filling in the guard spots

Jesus Christ!!!! Of course we need JJ and TF to commit first
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So what did he actually do?

I as under the impression it was academics, but now it might be something more?

so confused.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:So what did he actually do?

I as under the impression it was academics, but now it might be something more?

so confused.
It's just academics and he's not suspended by the NCAA, i.e. he's being punished in-house as opposed to being punished for at least half a year a la Miles Simon.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

As mama always said back in Beaver Falls: stupid is as stupid does.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Anyone know how soon we could get him back?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote:Anyone know how soon we could get him back?
Not an insider, but I would suspect anytime. Since Miller said it was academics, it is an internal athletic department issue. Cutting class or not going to mandatory tutoring or whatever.

If it was grades, Miller would be in violation of FEPRA, which he will not do, as with Trier.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Sounds like he was cutting class to me. Miller was probably sending his people out to peep into classroom windows to make sure players were where they needed to be, and several times Chance was not where he needed to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Sounds like he was cutting class to me. Miller was probably sending his people out to peep into classroom windows to make sure players were where they needed to be, and several times Chance was not where he needed to be.
That is exactly what I thought too. Grades are generally only by semester or quarter, so if he had grade issues, they would carry over from spring 2016, and this is way too late for that.

Skipping mandatory tutoring can do it too. I've been part of that before, and most programs, it is very clear about what is expected in terms of attendance at class and tutoring, and immediate consequences for missing. Attend and struggle, people will work with you all day long. Skip and reap what you jsut sowed.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

It has to be not attending classes or not attending study time.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I wouldn't expect him to miss any games that count.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I wouldn't expect him to miss any games that count.
So long as he gets it together and starts showing up where he needs to.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Kid get your s....t together. Go to class, hit the books, get on it. 8-)
Bangkok Wildcat

HiCat wrote:Kid get your s....t together. Go to class, hit the books, get on it. 8-)
+1...Grow the f up and don't let your teammates down too!
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:Sounds like he was cutting class to me. Miller was probably sending his people out to peep into classroom windows to make sure players were where they needed to be, and several times Chance was not where he needed to be.
So like a hedge-and-retreat problem. Coach ain't gonna go for that!
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LOL nope. I applaud Miller for staying on his guys if this is what it is. I can tell you this, Andre Iguodala was the only player when I was in school that made every class (outside of road trips). And even more impressive, the dude always sat up front in the lecture halls and paid attention. I had a class with Salim, saw him three times: first day, mid-term, final. Hot Sauce showed up more times than not, but with headphones on and his hoody pulled over his head to conceal them (or napping). It's just a poor reflection on the school, the basketball program and athletes in general.

It has to be this and it has to have been repetitive. Spies caught him on multiple dates; or caught him once, Miller spoke with him about it, and he did it again. I can see the study hall angle too, I just think the "suspended indefinitely" fits the former a little more, but who knows. Our assistants ran study hall, not sure if that is the case at Arizona, but easier to build up missed sessions when someone other than a coach is there. Bet he learned his lesson. A lot of people are piling on him on social media, but they gotta understand a few things: Most students play hooky to various degrees; this includes athletes; with that said, what Chance did is not out of the norm, Miller's (proper) response to the problem is.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My brother had a class with Sean Elliott.

He said that during the final, Elliott came in after the final started, said something to the professor, and walked out.

My brother didn't hear what has said but imagined it went something like: I'm mutha fuckin' Sean Elliott!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:LOL nope. I applaud Miller for staying on his guys if this is what it is. I can tell you this, Andre Iguodala was the only player when I was in school that made every class (outside of road trips). And even more impressive, the dude always sat up front in the lecture halls and paid attention. I had a class with Salim, saw him three times: first day, mid-term, final. Hot Sauce showed up more times than not, but with headphones on and his hoody pulled over his head to conceal them (or napping). It's just a poor reflection on the school, the basketball program and athletes in general.

It has to be this and it has to have been repetitive. Spies caught him on multiple dates; or caught him once, Miller spoke with him about it, and he did it again. I can see the study hall angle too, I just think the "suspended indefinitely" fits the former a little more, but who knows. Our assistants ran study hall, not sure if that is the case at Arizona, but easier to build up missed sessions when someone other than a coach is there. Bet he learned his lesson. A lot of people are piling on him on social media, but they gotta understand a few things: Most students play hooky to various degrees; this includes athletes; with that said, what Chance did is not out of the norm, Miller's (proper) response to the problem is.
Above all else the threat of him becoming ineligible in the spring semester is too devastating to the team (especially now), so this is the proper time and place to knock the kid upside his head and tell him to get his shit together and not let the team down.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

If Miller's reaction and the scene when RS went down on Tuesday isn't enough to get him on track, the kid is lost.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I hope Chance gets back on the floor soon. Not because I think it will make a bit of difference in our season, but I am rooting for the kid.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:My brother had a class with Sean Elliott.

He said that during the final, Elliott came in after the final started, said something to the professor, and walked out.

My brother didn't hear what has said but imagined it went something like: I'm mutha fuckin' Sean Elliott!
I was a nobody and I didn't have to take multiple finals. One professor told my teammates and I, "You guys are good. Just do me a favor and stick around for at least 30 minutes and look like you are bubbling in answers." Advisors and coaches know which classes to put their student-athletes in. On the flip side, there are plenty of professors who have hard ons for athletes. Had a dickhead drop me from an astronomy class two months into the semester after I accidentally dropped a piece to a telescope. He lied on the official drop form and said I was horse playing, then made a personal call to my coach and lied to him on the phone. Dude literally left a whole class unattended to take me to his office to do this. This was after the time window to add a class had ended, and losing those three credits put me below the minimum credits enrolled standard to be eligible to play. Fortunately, my coach talked to the women's volleyball coach who (illegally) added me to her two-credit physical education class and pretended like I was enrolled in it the whole semester. So I remained eligible and two nights a week I got to stare at the women's volleyball team in spandex.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce wrote:Advisors and coaches know which classes to put their student-athletes in
I took an Anthro 101 class and when I showed up the first day it was full of Greeks and athletes.

Both groups told me they had lists of skate classes to take and which professors were the easiest, and that they kept copies of old tests on file and the professors rarely changed them up.

Class was rarely 1/3 full, and almost completely empty on Fridays.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:

I was a nobody and I didn't have to take multiple finals. One professor told my teammates and I, "You guys are good. Just do me a favor and stick around for at least 30 minutes and look like you are bubbling in answers." Advisors and coaches know which classes to put their student-athletes in. On the flip side, there are plenty of professors who have hard ons for athletes. Had a dickhead drop me from an astronomy class two months into the semester after I accidentally dropped a piece to a telescope. He lied on the official drop form and said I was horse playing, then made a personal call to my coach and lied to him on the phone. Dude literally left a whole class unattended to take me to his office to do this. This was after the time window to add a class had ended, and losing those three credits put me below the minimum credits enrolled standard to be eligible to play. Fortunately, my coach talked to the women's volleyball coach who (illegally) added me to her two-credit physical education class and pretended like I was enrolled in it the whole semester. So I remained eligible and two nights a week I got to stare at the women's volleyball team in spandex.
So basically the NCAA should have investigated the U of A.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Advisors and coaches know which classes to put their student-athletes in
I took an Anthro 101 class and when I showed up the first day it was full of Greeks and athletes.

Both groups told me they had lists of skate classes to take and which professors were the easiest, and that they kept copies of old tests on file and the professors rarely changed them up.

I remember the tests on file at Delta Chi (now they're just on the internet), but how are professors supposed to change up their tests? How many possible versions of a question or set of questions can you have?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Truth as a defense.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Longhorned wrote:
So basically the NCAA should have investigated the U of A.
This was my freshman year at a JUCO. I'm sure if this situation happened at the U of A, the way it happened to me (no fault to the student), there would be some powerful people getting involved and an internal investigation. Nobody is going to be digging at the JUCO level though, so I am guessing my coach and all others involved figured dusting it off and finding a solution was better than raising hell.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I remember the tests on file at Delta Chi (now they're just on the internet), but how are professors supposed to change up their tests? How many possible versions of a question or set of questions can you have?
One line of argument would state that if you memorized the content of 10 years' worth of old exams, then you'd have actually learned the content those tests were designed to test, no? All a prof has to do to foil that is to slightly change the wording of the test questions, and the people who really memorize without understanding the content are screwed.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy