The Pac was a very tough league this year.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

The Pac was a very tough league this year.

Post by Alieberman »

I know lots of people are pretty down on the Cats right now but let's have some perspective

I can't remember the last time the Pac was this tough.

4 really, really good teams
7 legitimate Tourney teams.
Teams 8-10 are not that far off from being talked about as "last 4 In"

Then there's ASU and Wash St.

Several Teams in the Pac are going to make some real noise in the next few weeks. I predict 3-4 sweet 16 teams

Oregon is a serious threat to make a Final 4

This tough season is going to have us battle tested and ready.
It's going to be very nice to play some non Pac teams next week.

Bear The Fuck Down
ASUHATER!

Re: The Pac was a very tough league this year.

Post by ASUHATER! »

I will be apoplectic if goddamn Oregon goes to the final four before Miller
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ASUHATER! wrote:I will be apoplectic if goddamn Oregon goes to the final four before Miller
Pretty much feel that way about any pac12 team especially Cal!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:I will be apoplectic if goddamn Oregon goes to the final four before Miller
Why? They've got one of the best and most under-recognized coaches in the nation, and it's nice to have another Pac program joining us in the national spotlight.

They also have a better team than we do this year.

CSM had two years to figure out Kaminsky, when we were really, really strong, and both times we fell short. He'll get more chances, and while it'd be nice to get to a FF sooner than later, I'll just be happy when he does, whenever it happens.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

because (aside from CSM chipping away at it) we don't need oregon to be the pac's powerhouse football AND basketball school. stay in your own lane, ducks!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Why? They've got one of the best and most under-recognized coaches in the nation, and it's nice to have another Pac program joining us in the national spotlight.

They also have a better team than we do this year.

CSM had two years to figure out Kaminsky, when we were really, really strong, and both times we fell short. He'll get more chances, and while it'd be nice to get to a FF sooner than later, I'll just be happy when he does, whenever it happens.
It's not right that we go 15 years without a final four and then an upstart Oregon team comes in and goes...I've never experienced one. Just ain't fair.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote: It's not right that we go 15 years without a final four and then an upstart Oregon team comes in and goes...I've never experienced one. Just ain't fair.
Oh I felt the same way about an upstart UCLA team in '06. We'd been knocking on the door for a while, and then Howland gets there in his third year. Granted, that was still Lute, not Sean, but hey, sometimes a coach/program capture that special mojo and get to the promised land. OR has that look this year.

And I feel bad that you haven't experienced a FF, ASU. I do. But you will. Probably not this year, but CSM will get there, hopefully before his hair turns the same color as Lute's!
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I feel the same exact way. Those Oregon fans don't deserve it. Neither does Altman until he shows his players aren't committing sexual assaults.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Pac is much better than people realize. Big 12, as usual, will be exposed in the tournament. SEC simply sucks. ACC? Wouldn't be surprised if the champion doesn't come from that conference once again.

Go Cats!!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Getting to the Final four also has a little to do with luck of the draw. Wisconsin was just a bad match up for us and I truly believe if we faced anyone else in the regional finals we would have had made it through.

Oregon was clearly the best team in the Pac this year. But they also have never been on the national stage against a top opponent. We will see how a good a coach Altman is if/when they play on the second weekend against a top tier team that can give them trouble.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

WTF Oregon state in as a 7 good for them but they valued Arizona literally 1 seed better. Unreal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The Butcher wrote:WTF Oregon state in as a 7 good for them but they valued Arizona literally 1 seed better. Unreal.
We got hosed in comparison with Oregon, Cal and OSU's seeds. Oh well, maybe under the radar goes better than the hunted the last two years.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

WildcatStunner wrote:
I feel the same exact way. Those Oregon fans don't deserve it. Neither does Altman until he shows his players aren't committing sexual assaults.
Exactly.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Regarding the west bracket...

Go DUKE.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:
Exactly.
Would also add CAL and Rado to this as well......these fanbases & players I detest ( with a few exceptions). Really want them to flameout early :-).......would love to see OSU and USC make the Sweet 16 though.
az91

Post by az91 »

It was a tough league, but ultimately quite mediocre, as only one team made it to the Sweet 16.
gumby

Post by gumby »

When reached for comment, Bill Walton said, "Conference of Champions!"
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

az91 wrote:It was a tough league, but ultimately quite mediocre, as only one team made it to the Sweet 16.
Not yet ...
Right where I want to be.
az91

Post by az91 »

gumby wrote:
az91 wrote:It was a tough league, but ultimately quite mediocre, as only one team made it to the Sweet 16.
Not yet ...
LOL, yeah, I may have jumped the gun on that one. There's no way that Oregon loses to St. Joe's though, right? ;-)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Eh, we had a lot of teams that should have been 11 seeds. That was the thing, we had a glut of decent, tourney level teams, but not many truly really good teams. Cal could have been a Sweet 16 team, but you know...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The Pac was mediocre. Our champion (Oregon) had to sweat it out and come from behind vs. St. Joe's, and I'm not confident the Ducks can beat Duke. We'll see.

USC should've beaten Providence, and Cal should've won their game. I was surprised that Gonzaga destroyed Utah.
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm sorry for starting this thread.

I should be banned.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:I'm sorry for starting this thread.

I should be banned.
We'll start a poll.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote:The Pac was mediocre. Our champion (Oregon) had to sweat it out and come behind vs. St. Joe's, and I'm not confident the Ducks can beat Duke. We'll see.

USC should've beaten Providence, and Cal should've won their game. I was surprised that Gonzaga destroyed Utah.
Go duke.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:The Pac was mediocre. Our champion (Oregon) had to sweat it out and come behind vs. St. Joe's, and I'm not confident the Ducks can beat Duke. We'll see.

Go duke.

I don't hate Oregon nearly enough to root for Duke. In fact, I don't really hate Oregon at all. I hope they perform well enough to stop the "Pac sucks" narrative.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Go duke.

I don't hate Oregon nearly enough to root for Duke. In fact, I don't really hate Oregon at all. I hope they perform well enough to stop the "Pac sucks" narrative.
I enjoyed my 2years in Durham. Colleagues were solid people. Best two years of professional training. I'll never root for then over the cats, but I've made my peace with duke basketball.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:
I enjoyed my 2years in Durham. Colleagues were solid people. Best two years of professional training. I'll never root for then over the cats, but I've made my peace with duke basketball.
You've been brainwashed.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:The Pac was mediocre. Our champion (Oregon) had to sweat it out and come from behind vs. St. Joe's, and I'm not confident the Ducks can beat Duke. We'll see.

How many winners have had to sweat it out this year though? St Joes is a really good team and were able to match up with Oregon in ways that most teams can't. Providence is a tough pull at a 9 seed, I think most of us here predicted Providence would win that game. The Gonzaga game was a surprise, not gonna lie. I had Utah going far, but between getting their butts beat by Oregon, struggling with Fresno State most of that game, and the Gonzaga loss, doesn't look like they were trending in the right way. Plus Gonzaga is looking really good right now. Supporting cast looks better and any time you got two top 20 players on the same floor, you have the ability to be a problem for anyone.

Ultimately, Pac 12 needed to have a good showing and didn't. Our own fault. But there are so many factors such as travel, over and under seeding, just drawing a bad matchup, etc., that can affect who advances and who goes home. Sometimes the stars align perfectly and you have the golden path. Everyone in the world was calling the Big 12 the best conference in the country this year. Big 12 was 3-4 in the opening round, losing to 9, 11, 12, and 14 seeds. VCU blew it late against Oklahoma, could have been a 2 losing to a 10 in round of 32. Kansas is as we expected, looking great, and Iowa State hasn't had many issues, but then again, they have beaten a 16 and a 9, and a 13 and a 12, respectively. You certainly got to give respect to the ACC getting 6 teams in, and not losing to double digit seeds like pretty much everyone else. But look who they have collectively beaten: 16 and 9; 11 and 14; 16 and 9; 7 and 15; 13 and 12; and 14 and 11. Syracuse did not have to worry about Michigan State, Notre Dame did not have to worry about West Vagina, I would say Miami didnt have to worry about Arizona but I'm not so sure WSU weren't the better team even accounting for their bad shooting, and Duke didnt have to worry about Baylor.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Alieberman wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
You've been brainwashed.
Lol.

I'd definitely rather have Oregon win over Duke. Bc it's Duke, but also fuck them, they just won the tourney last year. Not like Oregon is always making deep runs.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yea im going for Oregon too. Not their damn fault we haven't gotten it done for the last 15 years. Only time I think I have ever rooted for Duke was against Wisconsin, for very obvious reasons. The conference needs a team to step up and go deep and if we cant do it, as long as it isnt UCLA or ASU, I am fine with it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Go duke.

I haven't. You've just become sort of a well wisher to a university that produced Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, JJ Redick and the team that joined in a union with the officials to defeat Arizona in 2001.

Jay Williams literally rode Jason Gardner like a horse with no call. LIKE A HORSE. Greg Paulus, Steve Wojiechowski, Kyle Singler and so many, many Plumlees. Ratface and his media sainthood!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Go duke.

I haven't. You've just become sort of a well wisher to a university that produced Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, JJ Redick and the team that joined in a union with the officials to defeat Arizona in 2001.

Jay Williams literally rode Jason Gardner like a horse with no call. LIKE A HORSE. Greg Paulus, Steve Wojiechowski, Kyle Singler and so many, many Plumlees. Ratface and his media sainthood!
Jeez it's not like I "follow them" or am gonna buy merch or even really root for them to win the tourney. But in a game against oregon, I will certainly "root" for them.

I came close to tears to two times I saw the 2001 national chanpsionship trophy in Cameron and vowed never to step foot in that museum again, bad for the blood pressure. But if I had to choose between them and unc, I will certainly back duke everyday and twice on Sundays, not really a fan of the four corners, the. "Carolina way" and see them as a bigger threat to miller.

Duke is a "cute program" whose days are numbered with K in his twilight. Once he's gone, they'll be lunch to maintain crean-Indiana type success.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

K is like usc football in the early 2000s or the Yankees in the 90s. Love em or hate em they command respect.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Between MSU taking out Arenas, and the refs in the final, Lute's rightful trophy the year Bobbie passed was literally stolen away from him.

I will never get soft on Duke.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

UAEebs86 wrote:
I will never get soft on Duke.
Neither does Dick Vitale