16/17 Schedule

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

16/17 Schedule

Post by azgreg »

Any idea what our OOC looks like next year?
Chicat

Re: 16/17 Schedule

Post by Chicat »

Michigan State in Hawaii
Gonzaga in LA (?)
New Mexico
@ Missouri
Grand Canyon
Las Vegas tourney with Butler, Santa Clara & Vanderbilt
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:Michigan State in Hawaii
Gonzaga in LA (?)
New Mexico
@ Missouri
Grand Canyon
Outside of the first game listed:

*jerk off motion* what a piss poor schedule
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

And MSU is not a guarantee. Pretty sure we'd have to win a game or two, right?

Gonzaga is always a resume builder.

And yeah, the others are disappointing.

Come on, Sean.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Wasn't there some kind of hub bub about Pac-12 schools not playing GCU because they were a for profit university?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:And MSU is not a guarantee. Pretty sure we'd have to win a game or two, right?
That was this year. Next year it's a guaranteed game (not a tournament).

Gonzaga isn't going to be anything special next year with Sabonis and Wiltjer both likely gone.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azgreg wrote:Wasn't there some kind of hub bub about Pac-12 schools not playing GCU because they were a for profit university?
That was what ASU was pushing for, mainly because they have become a bigger draw for basketball in their backyard.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:And MSU is not a guarantee. Pretty sure we'd have to win a game or two, right?

Gonzaga isn't going to be anything special next year with Sabonis and Wiltjer both likely gone.
That's good news about MSU. Wow, JJ will be out to prove something, regardless of which team he's on.

And Zaga is always strong. They had a key injury this year, and here they are, in the S-16. They're a good program, and playing them helps our SOS.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gronk4heisman wrote:
azgreg wrote:Wasn't there some kind of hub bub about Pac-12 schools not playing GCU because they were a for profit university?
That was what ASU was pushing for, mainly because they have become a bigger draw for basketball in their backyard.
GCU's arena is pretty sweet.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
And Zaga is always strong. They had a key injury this year, and here they are, in the S-16. They're a good program, and playing them helps our SOS.
They're usually strong, but this year they didn't help our SOS much at all. They barely got into the tournament Beach and only did so by winning their conference tourney. Also they have nobody that can replace those Karnowski, Sabonis, and Wiltjer and they also lose McClellan and Dranginis. Their best player next season will probably be Nigel Williams-Goss for christ sakes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Gonzaga in LA (?)
New Mexico
@ Missouri
Grand Canyon

This is where a Pac12/Power-5 Conference Challenge would come in handy. Getting a game against a team like North Carolina or Kansas would go a long way toward making that schedule look better. Larry Scott must have been asleep when other conferences were setting those up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I think Zaga was only agreed to and there isnt an actual deal in place.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 87a1e.html" target="_blank

Its also cool to play MSU but I wished I could go (if they sold tickets). Hopefully the Service Members will get a good game.

But there is always Vegas, and that is just fine with me. Also glad the Pac got rid of the ban on GCU (Larry did something right? must be a mistake). With the way they schedule, their RPI should be decent.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Gonzaga in LA (?)
New Mexico
@ Missouri
Grand Canyon

Incorrect. Playing a respectable tournament, msu and gonzaga is pretty good.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Either way this will be the fewest home games we've had in a while. We usually have 8-9 home ooc games and next year we'll only have 6-7. Could have 5 neutral site and 1-2 road games m

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Butler made it further in the tourney than Arizona did. Vandy did beat UK this season too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm all for playing tough OOC road games. Let our guys struggle and grow. It'll pay off during the Pac season and tourney.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:
I, for one, am happy we gave ASU the middle finger on GCU. Other than that, so much of it is how those teams perform. When we scheduled UNLV, Mizzou and Zaga this year, we thought we'd get a decent SOS boost that we just didn't wind up getting.

There are some legit teams, but we need them to actually be good.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Merkin wrote:Butler made it further in the tourney than Arizona did. Vandy did beat UK this season too.
Doesn't matter. Neither are elite programs. It would be nice to see some non-conference games against some bona fide elite programs like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, N. Carolina, etc. At least there is the potential game against Michigan State.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:
Merkin wrote:Butler made it further in the tourney than Arizona did. Vandy did beat UK this season too.
Doesn't matter. Neither are elite programs. It would be nice to see some non-conference games against some bona fide elite programs like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, N. Carolina, etc. At least there is the potential game against Michigan State.
Some of that depends on those programs being willing to sign up for a home and home and come to Tucson. At least for Duke, I would think that happens around the time hell freezes over.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Vandy is going to lose Wade Baldwin and Damian Jones to the draft. Butler loses Kellen Dunham and Roosevelt Jones to graduation.

Those are two significantly weaker teams next year and it's not even close. Weak tournament is weak.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Gonzaga in LA (?)
New Mexico
@ Missouri
Grand Canyon

Incorrect. Playing a respectable tournament, msu and gonzaga is pretty good.
MSU will be very good. Gonzaga is meh. Tournament is far from respectable. Average at the very best, especially if we have to play Santa Clara first, which is likely.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://espnevents.com/armed-forces-classic/" target="_blank

11-11-16

Joint Base Pearl Harbor - Hickam
TUCSON, Ariz. – The Arizona men’s basketball program will face Michigan State at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam on Nov. 11, 2016, as part of the 2016 Armed Forces Classic.

Indiana and Kansas will square off in the other half of the doubleheader event. The games will be televised on ESPN as part of the network’s America’s Heroes initiative honoring the men and women who are serving and who have served in the United States military, both at home and abroad.

Set for Veteran’s Day 2016, the matchup between Arizona and Michigan State will take place just under a month away from the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

“It’s a special honor for our program to take part in the Armed Forces Classic at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in 2016,” Arizona head coach Sean Miller said. “The Armed Forces Classic is a first-class event that pays tribute to the brave men and women of the United States military. We’re excited for the opportunity to honor them as representatives of the University of Arizona.”

The matchup between UA and MSU at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam will be the seventh between the schools, and second-straight in Hawaii after last meeting in the 2005 EA Sports Maui Invitational. The Wildcats hold a 4-2 edge in the all-time series.

The four programs in the 2016 Armed Forces Classic have combined to win 11 NCAA titles and advance to 34 Men’s Final Fours.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My son in law just was stationed there last week! Might be a good time to visit them assuming they can bring a guest.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Won't be a jerkoff team, unless you're especially horny.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
I, for one, am happy we gave ASU the middle finger on GCU. Other than that, so much of it is how those teams perform. When we scheduled UNLV, Mizzou and Zaga this year, we thought we'd get a decent SOS boost that we just didn't wind up getting.

There are some legit teams, but we need them to actually be good.
If that's the goal, you sked the reliable perennials, not the annuals. Lute had the green thumb. Bet he'd be wiling to offer some pointers.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Gonzaga in LA (?)
New Mexico
@ Missouri
Grand Canyon

This is where a Pac12/Power-5 Conference Challenge would come in handy. Getting a game against a team like North Carolina or Kansas would go a long way toward making that schedule look better. Larry Scott must have been asleep when other conferences were setting those up.
I'd be up for an easy "W" on the schedule by beating Arizona next year, but I though Arizona fans and Miller don't like Self?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Gonzaga in LA (?)
New Mexico
@ Missouri
Grand Canyon

I'd be up for an easy "W" on the schedule by beating Arizona next year, but I though Arizona fans and Miller don't like Self?
What exactly would make it an easy W, pray tell?

enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ASUHATER! wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Gonzaga in LA (?)
New Mexico
@ Missouri
Grand Canyon

What exactly would make it an easy W, pray tell?
We'd return most of our line up, minus Selden, Traylor and Diallo. We add Azubuike and one of Ferguson or Jackson and either Allen or another big. Arizona will be relying on youth. We'll have experience and will add one of Ferguson or Jackson both are better than any freshman perimeter player you will bring in. You will still lack a point guard, Kobi Simmons is a 2g and Graham is having a break out season and will better next year as will Svi.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
prh

Post by prh »

enfuego wrote:We'd return most of our line up, minus Selden, Traylor and Diallo. We add Azubuike and one of Ferguson or Jackson and either Allen or another big. Arizona will be relying on youth. We'll have experience and will add one of Ferguson or Jackson both are better than any freshman perimeter player you will bring in. You will still lack a point guard, Kobi Simmons is a 2g and Graham is having a break out season and will better next year as will Svi.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
enfuego wrote: What exactly would make it an easy W, pray tell?
We'd return most of our line up, minus Selden, Traylor and Diallo. We add Azubuike and one of Ferguson or Jackson and either Allen or another big. Arizona will be relying on youth. We'll have experience and will add one of Ferguson or Jackson both are better than any freshman perimeter player you will bring in. You will still lack a point guard, Kobi Simmons is a 2g and Graham is having a break out season and will better next year as will Svi.
Interesting. Arizona will be vastly more talented than Kansas next year and still have several upperclassmen that have significant experience playing. But if you think a top 5 Arizona squad will be an easy w.. Then, OK

BTW Ferguson is going to Baylor or Arizona and Jackson is going to Arizona or MSU

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

45 year old Perry Ellis still has eligibility?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Lol he can't can he??? I swore this was his 5th or 6th year this year.

Did he RS one year or something ?

Had to look to be sure. Ellis is an 8th year Senior this year. He will have to move on.
Last edited by PennZona20 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Gonzaga in LA (?)
New Mexico
@ Missouri
Grand Canyon

Miller doesn't like Self? Since when?

As for the "easy W" . . . . bring it.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I believe GCU actually changed their structure from for-profit, allowing for the scheduling.

Gonzaga is always a good schedule add. They are, arguably, the best non PAC program in the west, and, I believe, will be matching or bettering our best recent finishes. So there is no real basis for slagging that game. MSU and Zags are a solid 1/2. And the PAC, except for UW now and ASU (losing Savon?), will be improved across the board.
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:I believe GCU actually changed their structure from for-profit, allowing for the scheduling.

Gonzaga is always a good schedule add. They are, arguably, the best non PAC program in the west, and, I believe, will be matching or bettering our best recent finishes. So there is no real basis for slagging that game. MSU and Zags are a solid 1/2. And the PAC, except for UW now and ASU (losing Savon?), will be improved across the board.
No need for "arguably," especially if they get back to back Elite Eights. Who else? San Diego State?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gonzaga in staples December 3

Jeff Goodman – Verified account ‏@GoodmanESPN

Arizona vs. Gonzaga and USC-BYU on Dec. 3, 2016 at Staples Center, sources told ESPN. Terrific doubleheader by Hall of Fame.
1:36 PM - 4 Apr 2016

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

16/17 or 17/18?

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Next year probably means 2016. So 10 games so far. Probably 2 more mid level to cupcake home games to schedule

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With all the freshman coming in I guess it's a good schedule to get them to gel, but the fanbase will not be impressed. Not that McKale won't be sold out anyway.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think we're still trying to add a marquee game or two. Stay tuned.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

UC Irvine. If we played them last season they would have been the highest rated (#75) OOC team to visit McKale.

Might as well schedule the White Out right now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Only home games we have right now are new Mexico, Texas southern, UC Irvine and grand canyon.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

"Anyone anyplace" - Lute

Just looking at the SOS from some random Lute years.

1995: 9/302
1996: 30/302
1997: 5/302
1998: 23/306
1999: 31/310
2000: 11/308
2001: 2/318

2002: 1/321

Look at that 2001/2 OOC schedule

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good luck getting any of those teams to do a home-and-home today.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Merkin wrote:With all the freshman coming in I guess it's a good schedule to get them to gel, but the fanbase will not be impressed. Not that McKale won't be sold out anyway.
Not that my 2 tickets really matter, but 2 years ago when I was a little strapped for cash, looking at the schedule, I decided not to renew my tickets. Now I just buy the game I want.

I really want a H-H with Kansas & Texas but that's probably never going to happen for a while.

Maybe we can look at the B12 (not the shitty teams or WVU) for games to schedule. Oklahoma, Baylor or Iowa State. There's more to scheduling in 2016 than geography though.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It all comes down to no schools wanting to play in mckale. Outside of cupcakes looking for paydays, no big schools want to come play in a sold out loud arena a couple of time zones away when they can have a neutral site game closer to home.

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

The Big Pac-12 OOC Home Game 2015
#6 Kentucky @ UCLA
#17 SMU @ Stanford
#18 Gonzaga @ WSU
#19 Texas A&M @ ASU
#28 Baylor @ Oregon
#36 Loyola Marymount @ Oregon State
#42 Yale @ USC
#45 Saint Mary's @ California
#46 San Diego State @ Utah
#53 BYU @ Colorado
#83 Oakland @ Washington
#96 Long Beach State @ Arizona
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ASUHATER! wrote:It all comes down to no schools wanting to play in mckale. Outside of cupcakes looking for paydays, no big schools want to come play in a sold out loud arena a couple of time zones away when they can have a neutral site game closer to home.
True. The typically impressive strength of schedule was always something to look forward to during the Lute era. It was fun looking forward to and ultimately watching great out of conference games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Who are our possible OOC tourney opponents in Nov/Dec?