2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Gimino

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by Gimino »

The clues from Media Day gave me a new projected starting 5 for the season-opener.

Check out what I came up with -- and check out the all-new AllSportsTucson.com, which Steve Rivera and I will be contributing to -- and let me know where you disagree.

Re-thinking Arizona's starting 5
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gimino wrote:The clues from Media Day gave me a new projected starting 5 for the season-opener.

Check out what I came up with -- and check out the all-new AllSportsTucson.com, which Steve Rivera and I will be contributing to -- and let me know where you disagree.

Good stuff AG.

I think even if we start the season PJC, Trier, Allen, Lauri, Ristic, at some point right around the start of conference season it's Allen, Trier, Smith, Lauri, Chance getting the most minutes at those respective positions.

I also think, and I've been ridiculed for this before so don't hold back, that Rawle sees some time at the point this year. Him bringing the ball down the court with a full head of steam would be a nightmare for opposing coaches and players. But maybe that's just wishful dreaming on my part...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gimino wrote:The clues from Media Day gave me a new projected starting 5 for the season-opener.

I wouldn't be stunned to see the lineup you describe right out of the gate.

I wonder how long PJC starting lasts. We heard a lot of the same buzz about him being ready to assume the starting role last year, and he wasn't. Kobi is so far superior physically, I struggle to see PJC holding him off without a really, really, really significant improvement.

I don't think it matters whether you slot Zo at the 2 and KA at the 3 or the other way around. The question is whether Ray breaks into the starting lineup at the 3. Zo is a set starter.

Down low, Lauri should start all the way. Dusan vs Chance is a tight race and it depends on what you want. Dusan brings low post offense, Chance brings D and footspeed.

PJC being ready...I'll have to see it to believe it.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Chicat wrote:I also think, and I've been ridiculed for this before so don't hold back, that Rawle sees some time at the point this year. Him bringing the ball down the court with a full head of steam would be a nightmare for opposing coaches and players. But maybe that's just wishful dreaming on my part...
Can you direct me to where I go stand to get in line to ridicule you?

Alkins can be many things for this team, but point guard is not one of them. Miller has three options in PJC, Kobi and Kadeem.

That said, there was no prettier sight (in my mind) than a wing like Solomon Hill or Kevin Parrom grabbing a rebound and pushing all the way downcourt in, like, four strides. If that is the transition Alkins you're dreaming of, then you could be spot-on.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gimino wrote:
Chicat wrote:I also think, and I've been ridiculed for this before so don't hold back, that Rawle sees some time at the point this year. Him bringing the ball down the court with a full head of steam would be a nightmare for opposing coaches and players. But maybe that's just wishful dreaming on my part...

Alkins can be many things for this team, but point guard is not one of them. Miller has three options in PJC, Kobi and Kadeem.

That said, there was no prettier sight (in my mind) than a wing like Solomon Hill or Kevin Parrom grabbing a rebound and pushing all the way downcourt in, like, four strides. If that is the transition Alkins you're dreaming of, then you could be spot-on.
Those wings who can push in transition...Zo in transition with a full head of steam is almost always a good thing. Rawle can join him.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AG,
I noticed even though you slotted them at the 5 traditional positions, that is basically a 3-guard lineup. Has Miller talked about using a 3-guard lineup lately?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I wouldn't be stunned to see the lineup you describe right out of the gate.

I wonder how long PJC starting lasts. We heard a lot of the same buzz about him being ready to assume the starting role last year, and he wasn't. Kobi is so far superior physically, I struggle to see PJC holding him off without a really, really, really significant improvement.

I don't think it matters whether you slot Zo at the 2 and KA at the 3 or the other way around. The question is whether Ray breaks into the starting lineup at the 3. Zo is a set starter.

Down low, Lauri should start all the way. Dusan vs Chance is a tight race and it depends on what you want. Dusan brings low post offense, Chance brings D and footspeed.

The end-of-season lineup could definitely look different. But Miller will reward PJC's experience in the opener, I think. After that, may the best man win.

The wing positions are mostly interchangeable, especially because the defensive assignment will just be determined by giving Kadeem the opponent's best player. He said yesterday that his position was more "small forward," so I went with that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the staff is cautious early with Ray Smith at the 3. Let him get comfortable back in the game before they let him do more of the cutting involved at small forward. Again, all a work in progress ... long season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gimino wrote:

The beauty of the Internet is that the line forms wherever I get a wifi signal. :lol:

Yeah, definitely thinking more along the lines of pushing tempo after a missed shot than a point forward a la Luke Walton. That being said, with how interchangeable positions are in CSM's system, and his emphasis on switching on defense, do we even need to label someone a point guard? PJC, while probably our best distributor in a traditional offensive set leaves so much to be desired on defense and transition offense that he just does not seem like one of the best five players for this team.

For my money, put Rawle, Trier, Smith, Lauri, & Chance on the floor and tell them to run, run, run, hit their free throws, and just win every possession on both sides of the court.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Allen isn't a PG. If PJC craps the bed and Kobi isn't ready, then Miller will have to fall back to Allen at the point. But he's not a PG, at all.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

UAEebs86 wrote:AG,
I noticed even though you slotted them at the 5 traditional positions, that is basically a 3-guard lineup. Has Miller talked about using a 3-guard lineup lately?
So much of the game today is "position-less" that the traditional 1 through 5 designation loses a bit of meaning. There are probably two guys on the team who have just one position -- PJC and Dusan. Bottom line is Miller has a versatile and flexible team that can match-up with big teams and small teams and athletic teams (like Oregon). So, technically, three guards ... but I don't think that means what it used to be when Lute first started doing it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm excited to start watching this team play and start fighting for minutes.

I really think this is a team that will improve month to month and be totally ready to play with the big boys come March.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gimino wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I wouldn't be stunned to see the lineup you describe right out of the gate.

The end-of-season lineup could definitely look different. But Miller will reward PJC's experience in the opener, I think. After that, may the best man win.

The wing positions are mostly interchangeable, especially because the defensive assignment will just be determined by giving Kadeem the opponent's best player. He said yesterday that his position was more "small forward," so I went with that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the staff is cautious early with Ray Smith at the 3. Let him get comfortable back in the game before they let him do more of the cutting involved at small forward. Again, all a work in progress ... long season.
By the way, thanks for posting that article and discussing. I'm ready for basketball season.

The "let the best man win" is why I'm rooting for Kobi to start asap. His ceiling is so far above PJC's, it isn't funny. PJC seems like a decent kid, so I feel terrible constantly being negative about his game, but Kobi's potential can get us to a Final Four. PJC's potential...we would have to get there despite him.

I agree all the way on interchangeable wings and bringing Ray along slow. We have a slate of doormats at home in OOC. With Ray spending 2 years sidelined, it's smarter to focus on getting him there by the start of the conference slate.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Trier and LM are the only ones who have to be starting. Other three spots are up for grabs.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:
Gimino wrote:

The beauty of the Internet is that the line forms wherever I get a wifi signal. :lol:

Yeah, definitely thinking more along the lines of pushing tempo after a missed shot than a point forward a la Luke Walton. That being said, with how interchangeable positions are in CSM's system, and his emphasis on switching on defense, do we even need to label someone a point guard? PJC, while probably our best distributor in a traditional offensive set leaves so much to be desired on defense and transition offense that he just does not seem like one of the best five players for this team.

For my money, put Rawle, Trier, Smith, Lauri, & Chance on the floor and tell them to run, run, run, hit their free throws, and just win every possession on both sides of the court.
I'd love to see this group on the floor to see what they can do. I'm looking for the King of New York to bring his game.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Trier at 5% body fat :D

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ray Smith 40" vertical again

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Jefe wrote:Ray Smith 40" vertical again

And 25lbs heavier. Can't wait to see this kid in action
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

84Cat wrote:Trier at 5% body fat :D

I am so excited to have trier back. In think he competes for P12 player of the year.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I'm back - just in time for the most exciting sports time of the year.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Good to have you back.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

wyo-cat wrote:Good to have you back.
Thank you. I had a hard time getting back for various reasons.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

The top 50 non-conference college basketball games for the 2016-17 season

But here are the ones set in stone, the 50 best non-conference games in college basketball this season. Be sure to bookmark, favorite and share. This (chronological) list will last you into January.
1. Michigan State vs. Arizona, Nov. 11 (Armed Forces Classic): Yeah, this'll do. I think -- or at least hope -- that college hoops has finally figured out how to kick off the first night of its season with some appropriately weighty matchups. Both of these programs will have Final Four aspirations.
25. Arizona vs. Gonzaga, Dec. 3 (Hall of Fame game): This is part of a multi-city, sort of nebulous Hall of Fame-sponsored event. Just so happens this matchup is the best of them all. This is being played at Staples Center. When watching Arizona, Lauri Markkanen is a name to track. Tall Finnish player who can finish inside and out. Ray Smith is also ready to go. Wildcats are stacked.
38. Arizona vs. Texas A&M, Dec. 17: The Aggies will not have Arizona's talent, but they'll have plenty of shooting (D.J. Hogg should have a big year), and they'll have the baddest dude on the floor in Tyler Davis. Davis is so dominating, it wouldn't shock me if he leads the nation in offensive rebounding.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... 17-season/" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:I'm back - just in time for the most exciting sports time of the year.
The Who Starts at QB debate?
Right where I want to be.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Wildcats want to play at a faster pace in 2016-17

The team's athleticism lends itself to a high-octane offense, and Arizona wants to take advantage of it. But will it?

by Ryan Kelapire @RKelapireUA Oct 2, 2016, 6:45p

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... -markkanen" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:But they're not healthy.
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb ... win-it-all" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:But they're not healthy.
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb ... win-it-all" target="_blank
That article says Dillon Brooks has a foot injury and foot injuries are dicey. They're not fatal, like ACL injuries to Ray Smith, but they still suck.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It also says he may be ready by November.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Gimino wrote:

Those wings who can push in transition...Zo in transition with a full head of steam is almost always a good thing. Rawle can join him.
The 2003 team was so good in its starting 5, but the button we could push off the bench that I think Lute waited too long to use vs Kansas in the Elite Eight was having Hassan and Iggy come into the game on the wings. It seemed like the game went from a Gardner push when there/get into half court and run offense through Gardner and Walton (which was effective given our arsenal that year), to “first back court person to touch the ball GO! “, sometimes ending in spectacular lob to dunk fashion. Woe was the opponent when Luke swung to the 4 and Iggy/Hassan got on the court with Gardner…everyone 1 through 4 could kill you a variety of ways. Then slide Salim in with Iggy at the 3 or Hassan at the 3 and Walton at the 4, and quick early offense or wizardry with the ball from Walton led to Salim in shooting practice (think the comeback at Phog).

There were so many combinations to dial up…we could go from a “break your will in the half court” team to an elite 3 point shooting team to the above the rim show when Hassan and Iggy were in together.

God, that team was good. They should have won the title that year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:It also says he may be ready by November.
So, in other words, they're not healthy (but might be in the future).
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Are the undead eligible in the NCAA, or did Ray not actually die from his ACL tear?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:Are the undead eligible in the NCAA, or did Ray not actually die from his ACL tear?
There's no stopping what can't be stopped. No killing what can't be killed.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Wait. We're allowing journalists in here now with actual information?

We ran off that so-called referee, who was a homer for refs. Now this?

What has become of this FAN board? Red and blue. Bleed it or leave!

Nice assessment, Mr. G., and I'm not surprised that Miller thinks more highly of returning players than the consensus here. But I'll deny it if confronted.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Wait. We're allowing journalists in here now with actual information?

Nice assessment, Mr. G., and I'm not surprised that Miller thinks more highly of returning players than the consensus here. But I'll deny it if confronted.
Simmer down Gumby. You're on a watch list.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:Wait. We're allowing journalists in here now with actual information?

Can't post, but I can still buy a gun!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Can't post, but I can still buy a gun!
Yes, but you're going to need to send in your secret rep club decoder ring.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Top 16 Impact Frosh

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sixteen-fr ... 42831.html" target="_blank

Three from conference: Markelle, Lonzo, Lauri.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

In that poster, PJC is actual size.
HibachiZero

Post by HibachiZero »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:In that poster, PJC is actual size.
:lol:
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

4 Days 5 hours till Red Blue!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:4 Days 5 hours till Red Blue!!!
Thank God. AZ's football season is usually turning south by mid-October, so it's nice that hoops arrives just in time to give us something to feel good about.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

3 days.. 8-)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

2014-15: Played in 14 games on the season…Scored 14 points to go along with three rebounds, six assists, and one steal…Scored a season-best six points against Nichols on January 31.

Zero

Post by Zero »

Has anyone else been hearing a suspension of one of our best players might be happening?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Zero wrote:Has anyone else been hearing a suspension of one of our best players might be happening?
I'be been seeing tweets saying UA fans should expect something bad.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:
Zero wrote:Has anyone else been hearing a suspension of one of our best players might be happening?
I'be been seeing tweets saying UA fans should expect something bad.
my guess is it's people returning their season tickets since they are so personally insulted from the new uniforms :roll:
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Zero

Post by Zero »

I have heard it is Trier.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Zero wrote:I have heard it is Trier.
go on...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Zero wrote:I have heard it is Trier.
Wait, wait, wait..what?! Like, suspended for the season? Can we just get through a single season without an injury, suspension, or some other misfortune?
Zero

Post by Zero »

That was the rumor yesterday. Saw on Twitter and had a friend text me about it. I didn't think too much of it until reading on the Reddit College board a suspension could be coming today.

I have NO idea if this happens. I just really hope it does not.