2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by ASUHATER! »

Imagine if we had Simon, Ferguson and Smith on this team as well like we thought we would just 6 or so months ago...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Trier hasnt even got his legs and we looked like the best team in the country today. Holy fuck im so fucking pumped i could rip out every toilet in my house.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Imagine if we had Simon, Ferguson and Smith on this team as well like we thought we would just 6 or so months ago...
Hell, either Ray or Ferguson wouldn't be fair.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This win may have put us on the right side of the bubble
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce wrote:Trier hasnt even got his legs and we looked like the best team in the country today. Holy fuck im so fucking pumped i could rip out every toilet in my house.
My Barcelona neighbors must be convinced that I am the craziest person in the building.. I just went ham tonight. That was the most satisfying win we have had in years. We are now top 5 in the country
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:This win may have put us on the right side of the bubble

I think it definitely got us out of the play-in games.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I really like this team.

And I really like this board without bitchass "fans" who say stupid shit like there's zero chance a Sean Miller led team can win a game.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I am just so, so happy right now.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Still on the outside looking in. Have to win the rest of our games by 40 to ensure a spot in the tourney
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:I really like this team.

And I really like this board without bitchass "fans" who say stupid shit like there's zero chance a Sean Miller led team can win a game.
It's our fucking year, brother
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Still on the outside looking in. Have to win the rest of our games by 40 to ensure a spot in the tourney
We are on the bubble for the NIT!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Sucks we won't be able to hear your thoughts if we win.
Don't get your hopes up, bro. No one is winning at Pauley this year. Just how it is. No one's winning at McKale either.
I'm really going to miss our little chats.
I lied.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:We're winning this game.

Book it.
No, we're totally not. But I appreciate the optimism.
If we win can you make us a promise to stop posting?
Done. If AZ beats UCLA at Pauley next week, I will disappear from this site and never reappear. Totally worth it to have AZ win that game and bitch slap Bryce in his backyard.
My greatest contribution to these boards ever

CATS!!!
Mine too, with the assist. :)
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Man you have no idea how fuckin hype I am right now. Could run through a wall
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That reminds me...can we get Gimino to use a similar bet to "retire" Greg Hansen by the FF?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dcZONAfan wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Trier hasnt even got his legs and we looked like the best team in the country today. Holy fuck im so fucking pumped i could rip out every toilet in my house.
My Barcelona neighbors must be convinced that I am the craziest person in the building.. I just went ham tonight. That was the most satisfying win we have had in years. We are now top 5 in the country
Text to my college buddies:

CST: Man that felt good, Better than sex, but I'm married and drunk, so no sex in my state anyways.

Then my bachelor friend wrote: Nah, that was better than sex.

:lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dcZONAfan wrote:

It's our fucking year, brother
I feel better about this year, now then the BASH injury (before the injury) year.

Yeah, legit NC team.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:Man you have no idea how fuckin hype I am right now. Could run through a wall
I'm at the grocery store and I'm ready to run down the cereal aisle knocking every box off the shelf while screaming out Bear Down.

That game was fucking awesome!!!!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We retook the lead with 5:31 left in the 1st half and kept it the rest of the game. UCLA only had the lead for 5:30 the whole game. We CLOSED. Best defense we played all year. We had six guys in double figures and Kadeem was one point shy of making it seven. We played their game and whooped their asses, and we did it sharing the ball, each guy doing his part and nobody having some crazy career night. That is a team. A been through hell, battle tested and just got their top player back team.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Any questions?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

It might keep us from having to travel to Rhode Island.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:We retook the lead with 5:31 left in the 1st half and kept it the rest of the game. UCLA only had the lead for 5:30 the whole game.
That means we trailed on the LA trip for like 6 minutes total.

Fucking bad ass!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

God damn, I hope we get to Sac.

Told the wife, the only way I'm missing the game is if she is in active labor. To which she replied, well that means I have to dilated, contractions aren't active labor. To which I said "I'll check then, if it comes to that"

I love the CATS that much. less than 5cm, good to go.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Imagine if we had Simon, Ferguson and Smith on this team as well like we thought we would just 6 or so months ago...

Part of me agrees with this, and part of me wonders what the chemistry would be like. Simon really would be a non factor on this team. He just isnt very good on O. Other than spot minutes (think wing version of Pinder) he wouldn't make a difference and maybe weaken team chemistry.

Ferguson is an immense talent and we could certainly use his outside shooting and D and length and athleticism but I do wonder if the perimeter would become too crowded with him here. Certainly not up until now w Trier back, but w his incident in Australia and some other things I've heard I do wonder if he would have been all in for the team or out to impress scouts. Granted if I had the choice I'd take him on the team because Miller don't play that shit.

Smith is the one we miss most. First off we don't have another guy like him (6'8.5" who can guard and play the 2-4) and by all accounts he was a great team guy who would've accepted any role given. He's basically a Kadeem Allen w an nba body.

The sick part is even without immense talents like Ferg and Ray this team is still title worthy. And things happen for a reason so I'm at peace w it now that Trier is back. I don't think our team chemistry could be any stronger. This team is battle tested and adversity tested. Mentally tough kids

Also worth noting that our 3 frosh (ESPECIALLY Simmons and Alkins) wouldn't be nearly as far along as they are now. The Trier stuff actually has some silver lining w regards to that. Also I believe Chance is farther along w his confidence, as is Ristic.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

That game was fantastic. The toughness of this team is not to be underestimated. We are a tough W for anyone to get. Road, Neutral, Home, it does not matter.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Great game but lets not hyperventilate. The PAC12 still runs through Eugene this year (assuming Dillon Brooks is physically OK)

We have to play at Eugene with no return match at Mckale. And unlike UCLA, Oregon has an actual head coach.

Altman will zone us to death. The Feb. 4th game is shaping up to be a PAC12 Title game.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Difference is we get UCLA at home and they still have to play at Pauley.

Assuming UA holds serve at home, 17-1 isn't out of the question In conference.

I think the 3 seed in the PAC tourney will be no less than 15-3 in conference.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dmjcat wrote:Great game but lets not hyperventilate. The PAC12 still runs through Eugene this year (assuming Dillon Brooks is physically OK)

We have to play at Eugene with no return match at Mckale. And unlike UCLA, Oregon has an actual head coach.

Altman will zone us to death. The Feb. 4th game is shaping up to be a PAC12 Title game.
Eh respectfully disagree.

I see all your point, but I just don't see it out of Oregon as havng a higher ceiling. CATS In a pole position.

But yeah, that game in Eugene is the PAC 12 title game.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I wouldn't count out UCLA either. They should beat Oregon in Pauley and it's not out of realm to beat us on senior day (although unlikely, that team will want that game even more now).

Granted I could see Alford losing a game at the Galen center or some such terrible coaching job.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You guys are nuts. UCLA isn't on the same level as Arizona this point in the season, and the season-long stats bear that out. Oregon is in trouble on their home game when we come to Euguene. We might lose to Oregon State, though, because that's how we roll.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

That UCLA team is exciting, fun to watch, amazing shooters, ice water veins at times...and fundamentally flawed on defense and on the boards, and their offense is too dependent on clutch 3s and drive and kick. No post game. It is enough to overwhelm lesser teams and I bet they win a lot of games by 30 or more. And if the shots fall and they can get the rebounds to get in transition, Ball is masterful with the push and dribbles like Jason Kidd, aggressively hard and with purpose, and he will find open looks with his amazing court vision.

But like I said on the game thread...I would rather have Markkanen long term. A 7 footer who shoots 3s, can create off the dribble, has the lateral quickness to play effective perimeter D, and can drop a drive and spin in the lane like he did for the fingertip lay in like he did today? Ball is amazing...so is LM.

And TJ Leaf? Can we put an end to the questions about whether we got the good or bad end of that deal? He is redundant with Markkanen and LM flat out killed him today. My favorite was Leaf standing like he had cement feet while Lauri followed PJC's miss for the dunk. Yeah, he scrambled to commit a useless foul from behind, but the look on Leaf's face when LM took off was priceless.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ-UCLA highlight video:

http://pac-12.com/videos/highlights-no- ... ect-pac-12" target="_blank
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

AZ, Ore, and UCLA might all be top10 in a couple days.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:
Unc Fan in that Twitter feed is quite on edge.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Unc Fan in that Twitter feed is quite on edge.
This is my favorite response in that:

4h4 hours ago
NCSU Fan Page ‏@NCSUFanPage
@JayBilas @ESPNCBB you think he'll be interested in a NC State coaching job?

So many memories.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
First job he did was go to the ends of the earth to recruit all that talent. Second job he did was to get them to play unselfish team basketball on both ends of the court.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

whatta day. just wow.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sean Miller is a wizard

Arizona has faced as much adversity as any team in the country this season. A team with a lesser coach would have fallen apart after Trier’s suspension and Ray Smith’s heartbreaking early retirement, but not Miller’s Wildcats.

A win at UCLA is the signature victory Arizona was looking for. With Trier back in the lineup, there is no doubt this team is a Final Four contender.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

What a game. Everyone played great. But to me, special kudos to Kobi. He took it right to them from the beginning and set the tone for the whole team.

They really outplayed them. No fear, didn't panic when UCLA made their little runs. And a superb coaching job.

And Trier. If this was the first Cats game you had seen all year, would you believe this was his first game?!?! Fantastic. And only going to get better.

Everyone thought UCLA was going to have a cakewalk. But really, besides Ball, who on their team would you rather have on the Cats? I wouldn't trade anybody. Upset? I don't think so.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Frybry02 wrote:
psiclist23 wrote:How many times do you think the coaches have watched the UCLA/OR game?

edit: Also, I won't be surprised if Alonzo starts just to guard Ball.
If Allen doesn't guard Ball 99.9% the time both are on the court, I will be shocked.
You are right, of course. I was only thinking about the height advantage. Didn't really seem to be one.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

So far as I can tell Arizona is the only team with a win against the NCAA this season...sooo...UCLA...not that big a deal.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
Sean Miller is a wizard

Arizona has faced as much adversity as any team in the country this season. A team with a lesser coach would have fallen apart after Trier’s suspension and Ray Smith’s heartbreaking early retirement, but not Miller’s Wildcats.

A win at UCLA is the signature victory Arizona was looking for. With Trier back in the lineup, there is no doubt this team is a Final Four contender.

Arizona shut down UCLA and Lonzo Ball

Arizona did no such thing to Ball. I have seen no better player this year for the first 30 minutes.

Fortunately for Arizona, esp with 9 players now, Ball couldn't keep it going after 30 minutes.

Also UCLA scord 85 points. Weren't exactly shut down either.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Sean Miller is a wizard

Arizona shut down UCLA and Lonzo Ball

Arizona did no such thing to Ball. I have seen no better player this year for the first 30 minutes.

Fortunately for Arizona, esp with 9 players now, Ball couldn't keep it going after 30 minutes.

Also UCLA scord 85 points. Weren't exactly shut down either.
That's how UCLA is. They'll score on you, but they'll give up a ton too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Arizona made Ball work so hard he was begging to come out midway through the second half because he was so gassed.
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

Did Kobi get his introduction to that punk bitch John Higgins today or was it another ref that rang him up?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:Did Kobi get his introduction to that punk bitch John Higgins today or was it another ref that rang him up?
Apparently Kobi didn't say a word. He got whistled for looking at Bryce.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

psiclist23 wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
psiclist23 wrote:How many times do you think the coaches have watched the UCLA/OR game?

edit: Also, I won't be surprised if Alonzo starts just to guard Ball.
If Allen doesn't guard Ball 99.9% the time both are on the court, I will be shocked.
You are right, of course. I was only thinking about the height advantage. Didn't really seem to be one.
Well I was wrong. Looks like game plan was to make sure Alford didn't get his early on. Kadeem picked up Ball for a limited amount of time in the second. KA is like a mob enforcer. As soon as Alford buried a couple threes, KA picked hi, and immediately swatted Alford's shot. KA abused Alford offensively all game too.
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

Longhorned wrote:
mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:Did Kobi get his introduction to that punk bitch John Higgins today or was it another ref that rang him up?
Apparently Kobi didn't say a word. He got whistled for looking at Bryce.
That's why I figured it was Higgins that made the call, but I wasn't sure. He's that type of ref.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

UCLA may have scored 85 points, but they had to work their butts off just to get that. I think the final score was more a result of the flow of the game. Hamilton shot 33% from the field and Alford shot 41%. They may have made 10 threes, but they took 31 of them (32.3%). Not exactly an efficient clip. Leaf, Hamilton, and Alford were all held under their scoring averages. Ball got his points, but there was not exactly a lot of help from the rest of the team. You would think that our Kenpom D efficiency would drop after this game, but it actually moved up to 12.