2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by Chicat »

My wife sat through the entire Oregon Pac-12 tourney game in the same spot, not making a peep. I looked over with three minutes left and she was asleep. I woke her up after the game and asked why she hadn't gone to bed earlier.

"I didn't want to change anything and be bad luck."

I was watching the game on our DVR on like a 10 minute delay. Love that woman. She's a keeper. I still want her nowhere near me the next four games.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:An old friend of my wife's came to stay with us during March Madness 2011. That included the horrible start against Memphis, the insane win over Texas, crushing Duke, and losing to UConn on a last-second miss to miss the Final Four. She told my wife that I seemed like an intense and distracted person who's too wrapped up in sports. Can I please be judged during any other time of year?
Damn it... that UConn game.... again... I was at a FUCKING WEDDING sneaking out to watch and getting in trouble.

When will people just leave me alone in the FUCKING month of March!!!!!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:An old friend of my wife's came to stay with us during March Madness 2011. That included the horrible start against Memphis, the insane win over Texas, crushing Duke, and losing to UConn on a last-second miss to miss the Final Four. She told my wife that I seemed like an intense and distracted person who's too wrapped up in sports. Can I please be judged during any other time of year?
f*ck that house guest -- you come to my place and personally judge me after i give you shelter, provide you drink, supply you food, make a warm place to sleep, and for the most part entertain you.

some muther fucking people

is it Thursday yet -- im a bit fired up
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Last story of insanity...

When we fell down 8 or 10 to St Mary's on Saturday, with about 4:30 left in the first half, I was alone in the house and I paused the game and walked out. Just walked out. Went into my office and started reading a book (on Bob Crane's murder...John Hook of Fox 10 wrote it. Pretty interesting). Kept with the reading until the end of the chapter. FORCED myself to make it to the end of the chapter. Not enough time has gone by. I simply cannot survive the painful teeth pulling of a comeback against that team, and if we aren't going to, I don't want to see it. Just get to half, then I will fast forward to the halftime, see the score and go from there.

Don't judge me...this has worked more times than you know. Half of Arizona basketball's success has been due to me doing things like this, so a simple "thank you" will suffice.

Anyway, reading my book...hate reading it, forcing to the end of the chapter, when I hear the garage door open. It doesn't hit right away...but, then...I hear my kids coming in. One of them will go to the TV and turn the channel. I am not recording...just paused. As they hit the door into the kitchen from the garage, I sprint past them yelling "DON'T TOUCH THE TV...DON'T TOUCH THE TV!!!!"

I grab the remote and go straight to 300X FF, because I do not want to see any of this until I know. I get to the studio show when I am fully live and the score says "St Mary's 30, Arizona 29".

Wow. I was hoping to cut the lead in half. I feared it being the same. WOW! It worked again! I rewind and watch the comeback.

I cannot do this around other rational human beings.
Last edited by EVCat on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:My plan:

"Hey hon, why don't you go get a mani-pedi and a massage? Here's a gift certificate to your favorite spa."

"Hey kids, why don't you see if the neighborhood kids are home?"

*locks doors
*closes blinds
*turns off phone
*snuggles up with nachos
I tried to do something like that myself. What ended up happening: the 1-year-old did not get down for his nap until later than usual. Wife took the 5-year-old to the grocery store. 1-year-old woke up from his nap minutes before tip-off. Missed tip-off because I was getting him a snack. Five minutes into the game, he craps his diaper. A few minutes after being changed, he comes to the realization that mommy isn't home and has a meltdown when he cant find her. This went on until there was less than two minutes remaining in the first half. Wife was at Walmart for over 2.5 hours. When I asked why the hell it took so long, she said they were looking at the fish and looking at "gift ideas" for the 1-year-old, who is still over a month removed from his birthday...

Here is my string of unanswered texts before she got home: "Be nice if I could watch the game...."; "Seriously, where the hell are you"; "I haven't been able to enjoy the first 16 minutes of an Arizona tournament game because I've been chasing our son around"; "If you dont hurry your ass home, Im taking ___ to a sports bar and watching the rest of the tournament with the first good looking woman I see"
97cats

Post by 97cats »

EVCat wrote:Last story of insanity...

When we fell down 8 or 10 to St Mary's on Saturday, with about 4:30 left in the first half, I was alone in the house and I paused the game and walked out. Just walked out. Went into my office and started reading a book (on Bob Crane's murder...John Hook of Fox 10 wrote it. Pretty interesting). Kept with the reading until the end of the chapter. FORCED myself to make it to the end of the chapter. Not enough time has gone by. I simply cannot survive the painful teeth pulling of a comeback against that team, and if we aren't going to, I don't want to see it. Just get to half, then I will fast forward to the halftime, see the score and go from there.

Don't judge me...this has worked more times than you know. Half of Arizona basketball's success has been due to me doing things like this, so a simple "thank you" will suffice.

Anyway, reading my book...hate reading it, forcing to the end of the chapter, when I hear the garage door open. It doesn't hit right away...but, then...I hear my kids coming in. One of them will go to the TV and turn the channel. I am not recording...just paused. As they hit the door into the kitchen from the garage, I sprint past them yelling "DON'T TOUCH THE TV...DON'T TOUCH THE TV!!!!"

I grab the remote and go straight to 300X FF, because I do not want to see any of this until I know. I get to the studio show when I am fully live and the score says "St Mary's 30, Arizona 29".

Wow. I was hoping to cut the lead in half. I feared it being the same. WOW! It worked again! I rewind and watch the comeback.

I cannot do this around other rational human beings.
:lol: priceless :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:

"Hey hon, why don't you go get a mani-pedi and a massage? Here's a gift certificate to your favorite spa."

*locks doors
*closes blinds
*turns off phone
*snuggles up with nachos
I tried to do something like that myself. What ended up happening: the 1-year-old did not get down for his nap until later than usual. Wife took the 5-year-old to the grocery store. 1-year-old woke up from his nap minutes before tip-off. Missed tip-off because I was getting him a snack. Five minutes into the game, he craps his diaper. A few minutes after being changed, he comes to the realization that mommy isn't home and has a meltdown when he cant find her. This went on until there was less than two minutes remaining in the first half. Wife was at Walmart for over 2.5 hours. When I asked why the hell it took so long, she said they were looking at the fish and looking at "gift ideas" for the 1-year-old, who is still over a month removed from his birthday...

Here is my string of unanswered texts before she got home: "Be nice if I could watch the game...."; "Seriously, where the hell are you"; "I haven't been able to enjoy the first 16 minutes of an Arizona tournament game because I've been chasing our son around"; "If you dont hurry your ass home, Im taking ___ to a sports bar and watching the rest of the tournament with the first good looking woman I see"
:lol:

Yeah, chances of failure are like 97%.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:

*locks doors
*closes blinds
*turns off phone
*snuggles up with nachos

Someone I don't feel like naming asked me to watch a toddler when he went to the movies with his SO. This was during the 2005 Arizona/Illinois Elite Eight game. Luckily, said person arrived back prior to the end.

This person is someone I am closely related to, and didn't feel right telling to pack sand.
WildcatLouis

Post by WildcatLouis »

The thing I miss most about life without kids is just being able to wake up on a weekend and do nothing but watch college sports. My son is getting to an age where he will sit down and watch a game without whining about watching something else. Unfortunately, I am convinced that he is bad luck :? .

March Madness (or any UA basketball game for that matter) just changes normal, rational men into raving, irrational beings. My parents decided to have all of the family over for a St. Paddy's day dinner (we're not even Irish) on Saturday. Of course the game gets scheduled for 5:00 p.m. My younger brother and I seriously consider bailing because we think our mom is a cooler when it comes to UA sports. We decide to go anyhow. I get halfway through the first half and am convinced that the shirt I am wearing is bad luck. I take it off and throw it across the room.

My parents are out on their patio with the grandkids, probably avoiding their crazy, enraged children. My mom comes in and looks at the TV for a second and St. Mary's drains a three immediately. My younger brother kicks her out of the room - in her own house! Sorry, mom. Some things are more important.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I like being at home alone too. My wife knows to leave the room when the Cats are on. At least now I can rant on the game threads so I am a little more calm during the games. Luckily, this has been a great season so far so nothing to get too freaked out about.

I did enjoy being at Frogs during the Duke 2011 game. That was a lot of fun. Everyone was going crazy chanting U of A all night. Nothing like hanging out with other hardcore fans.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That's from the Pac-12 tournament championship game. Can't remember which of the ridiculous late whistles it was. I'm pretty intense and yell and curse a ton during big games, and a couple of times per season I get so mad I slap the crap out of the couch cushion or do the exorcist in my seat. Every few years, something pushes me over the edge:

2011 vs.Texas: Nail clippers went flying into the kitchen
2014 vs. Wisconsin: Picked up my wife's briefcase that was beside me and frisbee'd it across the tile
2015 vs Wisconsin: Remote
2017 vs Oregon: Replacement remote

On the bright side, I did hold it together for the UConn Elite 8 loss, the 2013 Ohio State loss, and the 2016 Wichita State loss, and everything else in between. :lol: This is why I decline any and every "Hey come watch the game at my place" invitation.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

For the record, I would totally watch an important game with most of you, not fearing I would be judged by my temporary insanity
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

2005 E8: Broke my right hand slamming it into the table. Very stupid on my part.

2011 E8: Punched a pillow into oblivion.

2013 S16: Just stared at the ceiling for 5 minutes after the game was over.

2014 E8: Was at a Buffalo Wild Wings. When the game was over it was so quiet. Everyone except for 2 POS Wisconsin fans were shellshocked.

2015 E8: Watched it at a Zipps with the UofA Phoenix Alumni Association. After Dekker hit a fade away 3 while being double teamed, I put money on the table, and left. I drove home and shut myself off from all media for a good 3 hours.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Image

That's from the Pac-12 tournament championship game. Can't remember which of the ridiculous late whistles it was. I'm pretty intense and yell and curse a ton during big games, and a couple of times per season I get so mad I slap the crap out of the couch cushion or do the exorcist in my seat. Every few years, something pushes me over the edge:

2014 vs. Wisconsin: Picked up my wife's briefcase that was beside me and frisbee'd it across the tile

On the bright side, I did hold it together for the UConn Elite 8 loss, the 2013 Ohio State loss, and the 2016 Wichita State loss, and everything else in between. :lol: This is why I decline any and every "Hey come watch the game at my place" invitation.
2011 vs Texas, I ripped off my shirt and ran around my (and fiance, now wife's) apartment screaming.

2015 Wisconsin, I went and sat in the garage and stared at the wall for about 20 minutes after the game ended. I just was not in a place of speaking or interacting with people.

I've wound up on my knees in happiness or sadness more times than I can count.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Formerly McLurvin
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

rgdeuce wrote:

What happened when "he touched the ball?" :lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
prh

Post by prh »

I'm mostly calm outwardly, I'll yell and smash the couch cushions, I think I threw a full water bottle into the next room a few years ago, but I think that's about it. But I go crazy inside. After the OSU loss and Wisconsin v1, I turned the TV off immediately and didn't turn it back on for anything sports related until after the tournament was over. Refused to pull up anything online, avoided social media, everything. Sadly, avoided this place too. I was so angry that I went through a serious period of time of thinking "I don't need to watch sports, they're not important." Wisconsin v2 would have been the same, but I was at Staples with a good friend (who understands this stuff, but isn't that way herself). We immediately went to 3 bars getting ourselves very drunk, so just a slightly different type of coping.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

rgdeuce wrote:Image
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol !!!!!!!!!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

I've missed both games so far. Long story.

First game, didn't check for updates, because I needed to be in the moment. Second game, I checked at 8-4, 18-12, 22-12, 22-14. Didn't check again until halftime (pleased).

Didn't check again until 68-60.

Will definitely see Thursday's game. May be driving across the state if we play Saturday. State dance competition. Daughter's school made it. Then again, if Gonzaga is the opponent, it might be best if I'm out of town (either way).

Was also at a dance competition first time we beat UCLA. So there is that bit of karma.

My family knows to clear the room when I watch, and I definitely prefer that. One of the reasons is that I hit pause a lot, and it drives others crazy.

That Texas game was interesting, because I was a couple minutes behind the action. At the end, I'm bummed. Game is at commercial. Son comes downstairs and slips onto the couch. I'm thinking no way he comes down if we lost. Sure enough, five second call, three-point play by DW. Victory.

Memphis game I was at work. TVs on everywhere. Tight game. I. Can't. Stand. It! Grab keys, walk to car, turn on radio. Drive aimlessly whooping and swearing. Final minute, I pull over in a remote area. Crank radio. Jump out of car, and pace.

Return to work .. cool, calm collected.

Illinois was the worst. Doorbell rings during the comeback. Neighbor, "so congrats to the Cats!" It's not over, I explain. He pushes through and we watch. He says all the casual-fan stuff, making it 10 times worse.

Right after, it's neighborhood Easter Egg hunt. Ugh!
Last edited by gumby on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I don't remember ever breaking anything. Usually just am quiet and fuming and my BP soars.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I did enjoy being with a ton of UofA fans at a Tempe sports bar when the Cats beat Mizzou to go to the Final Four in 1994. So sweet, after those first-round exits the previous two years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Here's a general loss reaction scale:

1. It's ok. 2011 UConn would fit here. Gonzaga in December of this year as well. I'm never happy when we lose, but these games are easier to accept. 2011 was just a ride getting that far, and I never really thought we had a shot vs Zaga this year.

2. Upset and angry. This is the most common response for me. I'm pissy and irritable. The importance of the game usually defines the duration. 2014 Wiscy was a long time because it ended the year. Oregon this year was easier because we had a game in less than a week.

3. Funeral and/or morose. 2005 Illinois and 2015 Wisconsin are the only games to get to this point for me. I don't complain or act pissy. I just don't interact or engage with people. It passes, but this is when it really cuts deep.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Here's a general loss reaction scale:

1. It's ok. 2011 UConn would fit here. Gonzaga in December of this year as well. I'm never happy when we lose, but these games are easier to accept. 2011 was just a ride getting that far, and I never really thought we had a shot vs Zaga this year.

2. Upset and angry. This is the most common response for me. I'm pissy and irritable. The importance of the game usually defines the duration. 2014 Wiscy was a long time because it ended the year. Oregon this year was easier because we had a game in less than a week.

3. Funeral and/or morose. 2005 Illinois and 2015 Wisconsin are the only games to get to this point for me. I don't complain or act pissy. I just don't interact or engage with people. It passes, but this is when it really cuts deep.
This actually fits me fairly well. 2005 and 2015 I just didn't really say much for a couple days to anyone.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

WildcatStunner wrote:2005 E8: Broke my right hand slamming it into the table. Very stupid on my part.
:o holy shit
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
2011 vs Texas, I ripped off my shirt and ran around my (and fiance, now wife's) apartment screaming.
My girlfriend (now wife) moved in with me maybe a week prior to that 2011 tournament. I remember contemplating postponing it until after we got knocked out. I tried holding it in the whole game and boom, it happened. She just looked at me with that Kevin Nealon from Happy Gilmore "psychooooooo" face. Now she just goes into the bedroom and shuts the door while WW3 pops off in the living room. Sometimes she will pop her head out and say, Hey McEnroe (or Bobby Knight), keep it down.

I have always envied the people who can watch and play sports without all that emotion, but I've been like this since I was a kid. Ejected from three baseball games as young as age 13, and after getting consecutive technicals in a high school basketball game. I'm in the process of doing a home theater room on the opposite end of the house. 1/2 of it is to be able to watch movies full blast and not wake the kids, the other half is the understanding that the kids are getting older and don't need to hear what comes out of daddy's mouth during big Arizona games. I'm sure I got most of it from seeing my dad go HAM during games.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

UAEebs86 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

My parents were in town for that one. IIRC, I think I jumped off couch screaming "he touched it, he touched it" and then did one of those jump and spins in mid-air. I did cuss quite a bit in that one. I watched the Butler game this year with my parents at my sisters house. I called my parents' little jack russell terrior a name that I regret.
gumby

Post by gumby »

2014 Wisky bugged me more than 2015. TJ with a pretty easy shot. Nick called for the charge.

Others in that category: Final games of 1988, 89, 92, 93, 98, 2003.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

WildcatStunner wrote: 2015 E8: Watched it at a Zipps with the UofA Phoenix Alumni Association. After Dekker hit a fade away 3 while being double teamed, I put money on the table, and left. I drove home and shut myself off from all media for a good 3 hours.
Hey I was at that one. Disgusting game. The year before was even worse. Im not allowed to go to zipps for E8 games anymore. (They since moved from that location). Made a bet after that game since I was drunk that someone wouldnt eat something (an onion I think) for $200. They did so I was mad and broke.
Last edited by Gilbertcat on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I should let my wife read this thread. She thinks I'm a maniac?? :lol:

After the UConn loss I casually tossed the remote on the couch and said, "Here. Watch what you want." She said, "Oh great. You're mad." Not sure how exactly I looked at her but she quickly left me alone.

I'd be interested to see how she'd react to me breaking shit...
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

rgdeuce wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:2005 E8: Broke my right hand slamming it into the table. Very stupid on my part.
:o holy shit

To be fair, I was 19, we do stupid stuff when we are young. I didn't intend to break it. Just one hard slam was all it took. I noticed that as I get older, I do not rage as much with the losses. I tend to become more morose and just shut myself off from all media and social situations for a bit. The level to which this happens depends on how we lost and how high the stakes are.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Here's a general loss reaction scale:

This is a good chart. 1989 and 2005 are my worst 2. For whatever reason 1998 isn't as grossly thought of. Perhaps cuz we were really never in that game. 2015 is like this for me as well.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I should also say that if I expect a loss, its not as bad. But if I expect or hope for a win, I am bad. I dont even say anything anymore but the vibe I present is bad. I always look over at the dogs and they are shaking and fearing for their lives. Not sure why but they know.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Holy heck the most watched shows for last week just came out. Out of all the games, AZ/St Marys was the top one (20th overall).

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... 9-46284811" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fucking rageaholics.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

God, if we are going back that far. The ones I remember:
1998 Utah EE: Shock and depression. Denial. It was so bad I dont even think I got mad.
2001 Duke Championship: College teammate/roommate (think he is a lurker here) was back in Tucson so I watched it alone in our dorm room. He came back to find that I took his Louisville Slugger to the foot of his bedframe and knocked a big ass chunk of particle board off. Thankfully, the bat was ok and he laughed when I told him what happened.
2003 Kansas EE: Was at my parents. My dad and I were so loud and dropped so many F bombs that my mom got pissed and left the house in the 2nd half. I really thought we were winning it all that year.
2005 Illinois EE: was serving tables and watched the final 4 or 5 minutes and overtime in the bar. I didnt check in with my tables once that whole time period. When the game ended, all four tables had their cups empty and plates stacked and looked like they had been waiting 20 minutes for their checks. So I did the natural thing, I went outside and smoked the 2nd and last cigarette of my life. I think only one of the four left a tip.

Pretty much everything else was a reaction of disgust for an underachieving team, or just nominal yelling/swearing. I remember crying after the 88 and 89 losses to Oklahoma and UNLV and being on the verge of tears for the Steve Nash upset. The Arkansas loss in the 94 final four didnt really bother me that much TBH, that team felt like we were playing with house money for whatever reason.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Great thread!!! Maybe I'll contribute tonight when I'm up with my 5day old. We are nocturnal.

1) S16 tickets came in the mail. Present from the wife "for being a good dad and husband." Behind the basket 10row up " go enjoy the games honey, take the night off, see you Friday". If we win, I guess I'll have to tell her "see you sat night" lol.

BTFD!

2) night time daddy duty has given me a chance to catch up on cats lore with my new one. Last night she was introduced to 97 cats vs Kansas, (geez talk about a potential collapse!). Tonight we'll watch cats vs UNC 97, and the chipper game tomorrow night (wed>Thursday).

My life is currrntly a series of naps. Lol.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EVCat, et al., Bear Down Wildcats: A Shared History of Shock, Depression, and Self-Destruction (Tucson, 2017)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gilbertcat wrote:I should also say that if I expect a loss, its not as bad. But if I expect or hope for a win, I am bad. I dont even say anything anymore but the vibe I present is bad. I always look over at the dogs and they are shaking and fearing for their lives. Not sure why but they know.
This is it for me too, which is why 2005 and 2015 were roughest for me. 2005 sort of goes wihout saying.

2015, I had hope until the bitter end because I figured they couldn't keep shooting like that and we were hanging with them. I still think we'd have won if they just returned to earth for 4-5 minutes or so.

2014, I had a bad feeling that our offensive struggles would catch up to us, and they did. I wasn't happy, but I saw that one coming. 2005 and 2015, I really thought we would win when 2014 was a just an inevitable slip.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

1994...Missed my girlfriend/soon to be wife's best friend's wedding. She scheduled it on Final Four weekend. I manipulated that situation right away...as soon as the date was announced, I told her "look...it is a long way off, and we haven't even made it out of the first round in 3 years, but if we are in the Final Four, I can't go to the wedding." I then used my very slight media involvement at the time to explain that it just wouldn't be understood.

1995...skipped a gig doing play by play at my first post-college gig of a short media career to go to Tempe for the UA/ASU football game. The game was a high school game out of state and I had my broadcast partner beep me (remember those) the score throughout the night. The tip was late and we knew the station owner wouldn't listen, so no one ever discussed my not being there.

2001 - missed another wedding, this time to go to Minneapolis for the FF.

I then had a decent period of time without pissing friends or family off...leading up to the big double:

2014 and 2015...friends scheduled their child's Bar and Bat Mitzvah on the day of the game. The party was later that day, both times, exactly during the game. I went to neither. My wife did, and left her purse at the party in 2014, and I went with her to get the purse, still in a total funk. I got out of the car, went in and talked with the parents, who are long time summer friends (we both spend time at cabins up north, the husband is a kid I have known from summers in the same town since childhood), but not like day in and out friends. Both are UA grads, but not sports fans. I explained as best I could in my still-seething rage. He kind of understood. She clearly did not. I did not even see them after the 2015 repeat, but I have seen them in summers since and we don't talk about it. Hey...I am not Jewish.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Oh...and to this day, I won't buy an LG product because of that bullshit upset commercial they ran a couple of years back about them winning some consumer report survey being a bigger upset than Santa Clara over Arizona in 1993, followed by footage.

Nope. Twice, I have gone with the more expensive Samsung phone. And I waited with no washer for 2 days to have a Samsung shipped in when the store only had LGs.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

My parents were in town for that one. IIRC, I think I jumped off couch screaming "he touched it, he touched it" and then did one of those jump and spins in mid-air. I did cuss quite a bit in that one. I watched the Butler game this year with my parents at my sisters house. I called my parents' little jack russell terrior a name that I regret.
I am not one who loses my shit in public much. Especially over games. It is a quiet stewing that will pop off when I am clear of the general public. But that game? I knew something was wrong...in my core I knew it wasn't right. Was in the crush of people exiting MGM and I got into it with some people verbally and, quite nearly, physically, in a way that is not me at all. I just kept yelling "how much did that cost you assholes? Don't think for a second you earned that shit...have fun watching us at home in a week or two" etc... I mean, 80% of the crowd had my back, but I really do not do the "yell at strangers because their team won" thing. But immediately, something reeked. I am also the guy that laughs at conspiracy theories and generally subscribes to Occam's Razor. But the easiest, most sensible, clearest path at that moment was we had been cheated.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

too good
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:EVCat, et al., Bear Down Wildcats: A Shared History of Shock, Depression, and Self-Destruction (Tucson, 2017)
This would make a great read.

It might get a horror section placement. Seriously...this is why you will rarely see me in a game thread. I just...can't.

My first reaction of note was 1989. I was hurt by 1988 but it was all so new. I sat in a dark room and cried (not sob, just tears) after the 1989 game. I just thought "that's it. What a run. Sean is gone...it is over." I had no idea how big this would become.

(I need to step away and let some other people contribute. I could do this all day. Wait...I have).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One of my sociological theories about sports is that one of the primary attractions of being a fan is that it offers the ability to be deeply emotionally involved in events that aren't actually particularly important in the real world. It offers an emotional outlet in connection with events that don't actually impact much.

There are a lot of emotional moments where the consequences are very important. People do live or die. In sports, that doesn't happen. The fan gets to experience the emotional gamut without actually standing to lose anything real.

It's like virtual reality, with the artificial world of sports triggering real emotions. You get to win and lose without actually wagering anything. You get the full emotional impact without any underlying action other than watching.
prh

Post by prh »

EVCat wrote:Oh...and to this day, I won't buy an LG product because of that bullshit upset commercial they ran a couple of years back about them winning some consumer report survey being a bigger upset than Santa Clara over Arizona in 1993, followed by footage.

Nope. Twice, I have gone with the more expensive Samsung phone. And I waited with no washer for 2 days to have a Samsung shipped in when the store only had LGs.
They also had a commercial during the tourney a couple (3?) years ago for their TVs which had footage of the Illinois game
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:
EVCat wrote:Oh...and to this day, I won't buy an LG product because of that bullshit upset commercial they ran a couple of years back about them winning some consumer report survey being a bigger upset than Santa Clara over Arizona in 1993, followed by footage.

They also had a commercial during the tourney a couple (3?) years ago for their TVs which had footage of the Illinois game
For about a year after the Illinois game, I had a visceral negative reaction to Bill Murray any time I saw him.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

prh wrote:

My bad...that was it.

The Santa Clara/Arizona one was a car commercial (Buick or some crap car trying to tout winning a Consumer Reports deal) a few years before.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I love you guys. You all understand what true love for Arizona Basketball is and how we aren't crazy or irrational people. But when a game is on stay the fuck away from me if your going to talk to me.

Spaceman after 2005 and 2015 I was so pissed for 2 days after, didn't talk or hang out with anyone either. 2011 UConn loss, went out got plastered and lost my viginity (true story). Those are the 3 hardest losses that I've taken apart of as a fan.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

EVCat wrote:Oh, man...the trucks would have come for me during the Texas game. My wife still laughs about how I hunkered down in the little area behind our sectional in the hallway and kept walking in circles, ducking down the hallway when I was too mad, muttering "I can't believe we are going to fucking lose this game. Doesn't anyone on the court care? How the fuck can you not care at this time of year? Seriously, what the..." and so on (yes, I like the F word...I am going to hell).

Then, at the moment when the "And-One" happened, sprinting in front of the TV and screaming some mix of noise and words, then just slumping to the ground and saying "I can't believe we are going to win this game...I can't believe it...." over and over
hahaha sounds exactly like my friend. I was heading back from Vegas with him and his wife after watching most of the Round 2 games and we just barely made it into Wickenburg for the start of our game. We went through the entire town and didn't see a bar worth stopping for. We figure we'll just listen to Jeffries instead and then we spot a huge cowboy bar and pulled in. We were all decked out in UA gear and knew everyone was going to be staring at us with their jeans and cowboy hats on. We walk in and the place is dead besides a cute bartender. It takes her about 10 minutes to find the game on the 1 TV they have and she turns on the speakers in the entire bar for us. Just found a pic on google, Fireside Bar :lol:

Anyways, not 1 single person walks in during the entire game and when they tied it up with minutes to go, my friend storms out of the bar. He has a habit of overreacting to UA games so I go to the window and watch him pace around the car, throwing rocks and talking to himself. Thinking this is going to be the worst 3 hour ride home ever, we decide to watch the end and delay the inevitable. We go crazy when that shot dropped and he never came back in. We cash out and go outside to find him with his jaw on the floor listening to the post game with Jeffries. What a day. Just found the whole game:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This thread is not only helping to pass the time until Thursday night at 7:09pm but also helping easing the cost of my mental therapy for the week.