2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by ChooChooCat »

Closed Thread. Fucking season ends in Sean Miller's worst loss ever. They had zero business being in that game let alone beating us. Got fucking outcoached by his bald protege retard.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

ChooChooCat wrote:Closed Thread. Fucking season ends in Sean Miller's worst loss ever. They had zero business being in that game let alone beating us. Got fucking outcoached by his bald protege retard.
QFT.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Yea that's what happens when the team acts like the game is over with 2-3 minutes left.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Up 8 pts with 2:30 mins to go,

Choke
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I honestly don't believe I'll see us in a final 4 ever. We are truly cursed from it happening again. I guess it's my fault since I became a fan in 2002.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

NYCat wrote:Up 8 pts with 2:30 mins to go,

Choke
Fucking brutal man. I don't even wana show my face in public tmrw let alone go to god damn work.
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

I want to know what happened to our defense - we just give up easy cuts to the rim over and over again
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

MrKyle wrote:I want to know what happened to our defense - we just give up easy cuts to the rim over and over again
Over and over as if no one had ever slipped a fucking screen all year. Get your hands up at least!!
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

That game is up there for UofA all time chokes. Whatever.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I wasn't ready for the off season. Now we have 5+ months of drudgery without basketball or football.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

This sucks. Big time. I wasnt ready for a loss either, at least not today. I was prepping for Saturday.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Crappy point guard play, beaten by a team we should beat 9 out of 10 times. Had advantages all over the court yet couldn't win. Argh!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

They have no point guard either.

Xavier lost their's to injury
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Crappy point guard play, beaten by a team we should beat 9 out of 10 times. Had advantages all over the court yet couldn't win. Argh!
Anyone who blames this loss on point guard play either isn't paying attention, or doesn't know anything about basketball. The top three reasons for this loss:
- horrible prep for their zone.
- hero ball made us complacent idiots in the 2nd.
- we apparently have never seen a screen slipped before.

Great pg play is a luxury and can be a crutch, but in the college game there are plenty of other ways to win/lose a game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

NYCat wrote:They have no point guard either.

Xavier lost their's to injury
We let that fucking white dude kill us off sheer will. That dude murdered us and only half of it shows up in a box score. Johnny Appleseed. Couldnt tell u his real name and theres no need, because gonzaga wont let him do 1/3 of what he did tonight. Johnny effing appleseed.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:Up 8 pts with 2:30 mins to go,

Choke
It's not that hard..protect the ball, drive to the rim, instead it's bullshit pass around the perimeter time.

Choke. We are a glorified mid major team the way we play.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Also I experience something tonight, never before did I have such a profound mix of rage and sadness as I did at the end of the game. I got out of that stadium as fast as I could and jumped into a fucking pedicab to get away and to my car as fast as possible. That's pathetic.

Pedicab driver making small talk: oh so you root for Arizona what happens? (Russian dude). Me: we lost, I don't want to talk about it, get me to my car asap

I felt tears welling up leaving the arena. Weird weird feeling.

The drive back to the in-laws where I'm crashing for the night was helpful.

Actually what gave some perspective was wife call and said my 2.5 go wanted to talk. "Daddy, the wildcats lost" she said crying. My daughter was literally crying over the cats! I've raised her well! (Yeah that's sick I know!). So then I had to put on my big boy pants and say "it's ok honey there is always next year, and even when you lose, never lose the lesson" quoting Lute Olson from season of my life.

Then I went back to my surly drive
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Can we ban the term "just like '97"

So fucking tired of it
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I guess this is the best place for this.

2016-2017 Arizona Wildcats Basketball-The Story of Changing Expectations

I think it is important to be consistent and honest with ourselves as we wrap up the season.

Before the end of June I think everyone thought the final four was a good potential and a fair realistic goal for this team. Then Ferguson goes pro in Australia and expectations go down a bit but still high. Then Ray Smith gets hurt in the pre-season and no one knows what the heck is going on with Trier. Some turds even said we would be lucky to make the tournament. Obviously things changed after those situations but it is time to finally start games that matter.

Cats go down big vs MSU but mount a comeback and win a thrilling game. Cats continue to do what they are supposed to do except for losing a game because some refs have it out for us vs Butler (was at the football game but can only go by what I see here) and then PJC gets a high ankle sprain and we lose to Gonzaga. I think that point anyone would have taken only two more losses in a heart beat and anyone who told us that the Cats would only lose two more games was crazy.

Then the team shows good chemistry and toughness. PJC comes back and eventually Trier does and the Cats dominate a very good UCLA team on the road. Suddenly the pre-season expectations come back even without Ferguson and Smith. Things go really well until a beat down like we havent seen a decent Miller coached team vs Oregon. Again at this point we all expect the Ls to pile up, but they dont. This team never plays as well as possible but just keeps winning. Cats keep winning except for one game vs UCLA and end up tied for first with Oregon for the league title in the regular year.

Everyone expects Oregon or UCLA to win the PAC-12 Tournament though, but the Cats play great offense and win the title although some weakness on D started to come up. After the brackets are announced as PAC-12 Regular Season and Tournament Champs expectations are through the ceiling/roof.

Then the tournament comes and the Cats go as expected until last night when they crap the bed and get out coached but still almost win. I am confident that this team beat and missed expectations at the same time. I think we need to realize how great this team did all things considered but also keep Miller accountable in some form for making necessary changes for the NCAA.

This team will get there but they have to all buy in and play together and well together and that is the most frustrating thing because we saw glimpses of it but never it all together minus maybe two games this year.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

I agree with most posts here. I see you 97. One thing that hurt us that I have not seen mentioned was Rawle's injury. It was obvious to me that his shooting and ball handling was way off. He is not hurt, we win.

That being said, I used to say that if you want to predict the winning team, look at rebounds. We really excelled there. But in modern basketball, I think, in addition, you need to look at assists. We overwhelmed most teams with talent, but it was odd to see over and over other teams cutting to the basket and getting great passes for easy lay-ups. Or great kick out passes for wide open shots. (Did Dusan do that even once this year? I can't remember one.) Meanwhile, we are endlessly passing the ball around the perimeter taking turns trying to drive. We had 4 assists against St. Marys. 4

I guess a point guard would make all the difference, but everyone could look for the open man if they got the ball moving a la Spurs or later the Warriors. Syracuse didn't win every game, so someone has figured it out.