let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: let's talk '18

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think Ray Smith's injury/condition was unusual. Just incredibly unlucky.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with this Williams injury. Plenty of guys get injured in HS and come back even stronger and better.

Bottom line: if we add him to our '18 class, we're getting our second top 20 player in the '18 class and finally bringing in a talented PG. These positives greatly outweigh concerns about his health at the moment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:One thing about BWill, his knees are questionable. We might have to look for another guy as insurance
After last year, I'll admit any previous injury worries me more than it should about these players.....this time last year I was excited for Ray Smith to make his second comeback. Still bummed we never got to see that talent flourish.
It depends. I'd wager every HS player has had an injury, it's the depth and severity that matters.

I understand being worried based on our prior history, but our luck has to change at some point. Right?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The alternative is we allow ourselves to be consumed with what-ifs and withdraw our offer. Then we will be back to "we haven't landed a good PG since TJ" mode again. From the video I have seen on this kid, he has enough of a well-rounded game to be a great college point guard for us even with a lost step.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Oh no, u take him in a heartbeat even IF the docs said he'll never be the same (they won't). Just saying I'm a litte traumatized from the Pg curse and Rays situations. I just hope the kid gets healthy. He's a multi-year player regardless so he could end up being important for this U of all goes right. Like TJ impact - important.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:The alternative is we allow ourselves to be consumed with what-ifs and withdraw our offer. Then we will be back to "we haven't landed a good PG since TJ" mode again. From the video I have seen on this kid, he has enough of a well-rounded game to be a great college point guard for us even with a lost step.
Yeah, I don't know how we don't pull the trigger. I don't think we'd say no to a top 20 rated PG without a MASSIVE red flag.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
billk78 wrote:If Williams commits we just need to get him to reclassify to 2017....who cares about high school?
Not even sure what that means but we're a full boat for 17...seems like a dig at Akot
More like a dig at PJC.
Wasn't really a dig at anyone...just that Im excited about 2017 and impatient. A top pg would only help. I know its not realistic, I was being sarcastic.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

gumby

Post by gumby »

#BLESSED
Right where I want to be.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

lol now Arizona isn't getting Williams
gumby

Post by gumby »

Covers Gonzaga.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Congrats. Three years to learn under Barcello.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hopefully he can develop better Photoshop skills.

B-Dub redux!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

First elite PG recruit Miller has gotten. Not a fan of the shirt

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Jefe wrote:First elite PG recruit Miller has gotten.
Josiah Turner was ranked higher.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

NYCat wrote:Josiah Turner was ranked higher.
I forgot about that waste of space
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Yeah Taeshon should be next, then you can just full court press on Bol and Bagley
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Welcome to the fam Brandon!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Jefe wrote:
Post of the day! Am envious.

I haven't / didn't BUT I wish I could and easily understand those who have forgotten about him. He, along with Sidiki Johnson and Angelo Chol made that class arguably Miller's worst since HC at Arizona (2010 with Jesse Perry [good], Jordin Mayes and Daniel Bejarano a close second IMO).

The major saving grace of that 2011 class was one of my favorites, Nick Johnson. Too bad he didn't stick around for his Senior Year though.....I know, I know "His draft position wasn't going to improve...." argument. BUT he could have had an amazing Senior Year....

Incredible to see how almost every other CSM Arizona recruiting class compares to those of 2010 and 2011.

Back on topic, welcome to Arizona Brandon Williams! Awesome get and so excited to see another elite PG again :-)
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Nobody told him Miller is going to OSU? ;)

I hope he's ready to throw lots of lobs to Shareef!
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Main Event wrote:Yeah Taeshon should be next, then you can just full court press on Bol and Bagley
Sorry, I haven't totally kept up with our targets. Are these the only 3 on our board right now that we are heavily pursuing? I'm assuming we'll be looking at the transfer market too, but as far as 2018 incoming recruits go....are these our guys?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Both the Brown kids and Reddish from Rondaes neck of the woods are possibilities.

We are going to have 7 ships so I imagine we will be taking 4 guys from 18 class and 2 transfers.

BWill
ONeal
Cherry (likely) that's 3.

I'm gonna be optimistic that we get one of the 2 big fish in Bol and Bagley and actually convince them to come to college for a year.

That would leave one other ship to fill based on need.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

#notapointguard

Oh wait... nevermind... force of habit
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Main Event wrote:Yeah Taeshon should be next, then you can just full court press on Bol and Bagley
Sorry, I haven't totally kept up with our targets. Are these the only 3 on our board right now that we are heavily pursuing? I'm assuming we'll be looking at the transfer market too, but as far as 2018 incoming recruits go....are these our guys?
No, just the biggest 3 names .
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

NYCat wrote:

Did he just photoshop his head over Mark Lyons body?
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Jefe wrote:
Everyone forgets why specifically he he is such a bad memory. WE LOST TO AN AWFUL ASU TEAM keeping us out of the tourney due to his spaciness and lack of effort. And you knew had flashes of being an amazing PG when he wanted to be.

I think he's finally seen the error of his ways according to an article a few years ago.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:Sorry, I haven't totally kept up with our targets. Are these the only 3 on our board right now that we are heavily pursuing? I'm assuming we'll be looking at the transfer market too, but as far as 2018 incoming recruits go....are these our guys?
According to ESPN, our offers:

Brandon Williams (AZ)
Aaron Wiggins (Maryland)
Jalen Smith
David Singleton III (UCLA)
Cameron Reddish
Jahvon Quinerly
Immanuel Quickley
Shareef O'Neal (AZ)
Miles Norris (Oregon)
Gerald Liddell
Jaedon LeDee
Tre Jones
Tyler Herro (Wisc)
Jairus Hamilton
Quentin Grimes
Greg Floyd Jr. (Long Beach St)
Taeshon Cherry
Jordan Brown
Moses Brown
Bol Bol
Marvin Bagley, III (yes please)
Eric Ayala

247 says we also offered:

Devon Dotson
Zion Williamson (yes please)
Nazreon Reid
Kamaka Hepa
Kenneth Nwuba
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Primary targets at the moment:

Shareef O'Neal (commit)
Brandon Williams (commit)
Marvin Bagley
Taeshon Cherry
Gerald Liddell
Quentin Grimes
Bol Bol
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
NYCat wrote:

Did he just photoshop his head over Mark Lyons body?
Nah, Lyons had better uniforms.

Welcome aboard, though! It's nice to have a pretty big time pg on the way.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

NYCat wrote:

Cool news. Looks like a true pg. Very nice. 8-)
Bangkok Wildcat

ChooChooCat wrote:Primary targets at the moment:

Shareef O'Neal (commit)
Marvin Bagley
Taeshon Cherry
Gerald Liddell
Quentin Grimes
Bol Bol
Nice list Choo, thanks! Care to add any probabilities to these names as well? I'm greedy ;-)

Thanks in advance, Bear Down.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Shareef O'Neal (commit)
Marvin Bagley
Taeshon Cherry
Gerald Liddell
Quentin Grimes
Bol Bol
Nice list Choo, thanks! Care to add any probabilities to these names as well? I'm greedy ;-)

Marvin Bagley - Arizona, UCLA, Kentucky, Overseas. Overseas is ahead of the pack by a wide margin at the moment. I think shoe companies will have a major impact on what his ultimate decision is.
Taeshon Cherry - Arizona, Oregon, USC, maybe A&M. Not sure on this one, he'd be a back up year one if Akot returns, which is likely IMO. Arizona was the first on him and he's real right with both O'Neal and Williams and loves Romar. I think we have the most working for us in this one, but it'll come down to his priority. Oregon probably has a starting spot available and he's tight with Miles Norris. We'll see.
Gerald Liddell - Born in Tucson and loves U of A. I think Arizona slowplays him a bit and sees how the Cherry recruitment evolves. I think if Arizona pushes for him we get him.
Quentin Grimes - He's from Texas. I never feel good about Texas kids unless they have ties to Arizona like Liddell. Uphill battle for sure, my money is on Kansas.
Bol Bol - Arizona, Kentucky, Overseas. Arizona in a good spot, but I have no idea if he can even get into college or if he prefers overseas or not.

It's still way early, no need to fret on any of this.
Bangkok Wildcat

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Shareef O'Neal (commit)
Marvin Bagley
Taeshon Cherry
Gerald Liddell
Quentin Grimes
Bol Bol

Marvin Bagley - Arizona, UCLA, Kentucky, Overseas. Overseas is ahead of the pack by a wide margin at the moment. I think shoe companies will have a major impact on what his ultimate decision is.
Taeshon Cherry - Arizona, Oregon, USC, maybe A&M. Not sure on this one, he'd be a back up year one if Akot returns, which is likely IMO. Arizona was the first on him and he's real right with both O'Neal and Williams and loves Romar. I think we have the most working for us in this one, but it'll come down to his priority. Oregon probably has a starting spot available and he's tight with Miles Norris. We'll see.
Gerald Liddell - Born in Tucson and loves U of A. I think Arizona slowplays him a bit and sees how the Cherry recruitment evolves. I think if Arizona pushes for him we get him.
Quentin Grimes - He's from Texas. I never feel good about Texas kids unless they have ties to Arizona like Liddell. Uphill battle for sure, my money is on Kansas.
Bol Bol - Arizona, Kentucky, Overseas. Arizona in a good spot, but I have no idea if he can even get into college or if he prefers overseas or not.

Awesome breakdown Choo and very much appreciated! Really interesting about Liddell being from Tucson and I also agree on Texas kids.....Ndudi Ebi Hangover ;-)

Additionally, nice article on CBS Sports re Arizona Recruiting: http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... ar-behind/
Last edited by Bangkok Wildcat on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... a-wildcats" target="_blank
"The addition with [assistant] coach [Lorenzo] Romar only helped me out. They are starting to do a lot more ball screens, which fits my game. Also, my relationship with the coaching staff is great. That's very important."
"Shareef and I are both assistant coaches," Williams said. "We are definitely going to recruit some guys."
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:WE LOST TO AN AWFUL ASU TEAM keeping us out of the tourney due to his spaciness and lack of effort.
Spaciness. Yes. You could say he was floating at times. High...above the court.

Plenty of players "space out"...few bring it quite as close to the court as Mr. Turner did...

Also, that PAC 12 Championship game vs Colorado...we do not lose that if Turner, even spaced out of the gym, was playing. Fogg needed help badly in that game, and we had the advantage in the back and forth affair until that point where you really need, well...a point...to convert sets late in the game. We executed horribly without Turner, who wasn't all bad when he did play (he wasn't super, but he had moments where you realized why he was so highly rated...there it is again, high). We needed him vs ASU and Colorado, and he wasn't available because coach had to sit him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NYCat wrote:
I'm excited.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Shareef O'Neal (commit)
Marvin Bagley
Taeshon Cherry
Gerald Liddell
Quentin Grimes
Bol Bol

It's early, but we have a top 20 big guy and top 20 pg. It's already promising.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We just offered Elijah Weaver, top 50 rated PG. He can play off the ball too. I think Arizona just wants to avoid not having options at the PG spot like these last few years. Williams seems to be on board since he said he intends to help recruit Quentin Grimes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:We just offered Elijah Weaver, top 50 rated PG. He can play off the ball too. I think Arizona just wants to avoid not having options at the PG spot like these last few years. Williams seems to be on board since he said he intends to help recruit Quentin Grimes.
It's not hard to play 2 pg's together. It might be an issue if both are too small to guard the 2, but if you can find two guys in the 6'1 to 6'3 range, that can work out fine. Like when UNC played Joel Berry and Marcus Paige together.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

On a slightly different topic, is Ayton 100 percent a one-and-done? I didn't catch the quote where he said he's gone after this coming season, and I'm just trying to figure out how hard the program needs to go after Bol or Bagley.

No doubt, at least with the latter, Miller wants to avoid another T.J. Leaf scenario with the shoe companies.

Not up to speed either on what Bol would need to even qualify and not just go overseas automatically. Hard to tell if the coaches should put on the full-court press with either, given those competing priorities.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

catgrad97 wrote:On a slightly different topic, is Ayton 100 percent a one-and-done? I didn't catch the quote where he said he's gone after this coming season, and I'm just trying to figure out how hard the program needs to go after Bol or Bagley.

No doubt, at least with the latter, Miller wants to avoid another T.J. Leaf scenario with the shoe companies.

Not up to speed either on what Bol would need to even qualify and not just go overseas automatically. Hard to tell if the coaches should put on the full-court press with either, given those competing priorities.

Yes. Ayton is 100% a one and doner.

Others know more about the situation than me but I hear overseas leads for both (Bagley more).

I'd guess it goes :

Bagley :
Overseas - 55%
Arizona - 25%
Ucla - 20%

Bol :
Overseas - 40%
Kentucky - 30%
Arizona - 30%

I doubt those are accurate but at least it's a good baseline of expectations to start with. Should be an interesting recruiting year.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona Wildcats land elite point guard for 2018 in Brandon Williams

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Jun 6, 2017 Updated 5 hrs ago

“He’s an elite talent,” said Russell White, Williams’ coach at Crespi Carmelite High School. “He can play multiple ways — he can be a scorer or a distributor. That’s what makes him special. He can be a scorer but he doesn’t have to score to be happy. He was a scorer for us, but on his club team he was a distributor.”

Williams played as a freshman and sophomore at Crespi with current USC standout De’Anthony Melton, making what White called an immediate impact.

“We saw flashes of brilliance in him” as a freshman, White said.

But after playing for the California Supreme club along with
incoming UA freshman DeAndre Ayton last summer, Williams missed his junior season at Crespi because of his knee injury. White declined to specify details but said it was not a torn ACL. Williams had surgery and is aiming to return to the court this summer with the intention of playing a full senior season at Crespi.

In the meanwhile, though, Williams’ injury resulted in him dropping slightly in the 2018 recruiting rankings. He’s still rated as a five-star talent by ESPN and 24/7 Sports, though Rivals and Scout have him in the four-star range.

However, California-based Scout analyst Josh Gershon said Williams is still the West’s best point guard, having shot nearly
38 percent from 3-point range during high-level EYBL play last summer. The website ranks Williams the 10th best point guard nationally in 2018.

“We haven’t seen him,” Gershon said. “But in the time that he hasn’t been out there, there’s really been no one that’s emerged to challenge him for the top spot (in the West).

“He’s got good size — he’s 6-1 with a 6-6 wingspan so he has really long arms. He’s quick and he can shoot the ball. He’s got a quick release, handle and speed to create off the dribble. I think he’s a scoring point guard but he can fill whatever role
they need.”

Williams will be entering the UA just after the departure of Jackson-Cartwright, another Cal Supreme alum, while incoming combo guard Alex Barcello is projected to be a sophomore in 2018-19. Gershon said both Barcello and Williams are interchangeable with their ability to score or distribute.

“They can both really shoot it,” Gershon said. “Brandon’s quicker and Barcello has more of a scoring mindset, he’s more of a kid who can play off the ball.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 12031.html" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:
1stNGrant Frys wrote:WE LOST TO AN AWFUL ASU TEAM keeping us out of the tourney due to his spaciness and lack of effort.
Didn't help that a giant Cheet-O was behind the Curtain of Distraction.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:On a slightly different topic, is Ayton 100 percent a one-and-done? I didn't catch the quote where he said he's gone after this coming season, and I'm just trying to figure out how hard the program needs to go after Bol or Bagley.

Is there a percentage higher than 100%?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

He only is the "one" in "one-and-done" because it is required.

Glad to see Adam Silver bringing up needing to change the rule again. I'd love the baseball rule, but 3 may be too aggressive with no anti-trust exemption and need for collective bargaining along with no real minor league system.

My deal to the NBAPA if I were the owners would be get one more year required in college in return for making the final year of the rookie cap an opt out for the player...if they are good enough, they can opt out of the final year and go after the big contract a year early, making up for that extra year in school/free development for teams. Teams get the opportunity to match (RFA). If they are not ready to negotiate a regular deal, they can stay in that rookie protected last year wage.

The players don't lose anything, you get an extra year of development and maturity, and the cost to the owners for losing a year of rookie wage cap on maybe 15 players each class (so half the teams would have an opt out and either lose the player if they were unwilling to pay, or be paying regular wage for a deserving player) would be made back in both development/less risk in drafting, and an underrated factor here...college brand loyalty following to the pros. Arizona fans, for instance, have always followed what former Cats are doing in the NBA. But I doubt many had Jerryd Bayless Milwaukee jerseys, while I saw more than one Kerr or Elliott jersey in T-Town. And it isn't just "fan of school X pays more attention to team Y because their players are on that NBA team"...it's just an overall identity thing, that would make the college fan much more comfortable with the NBA game due to player recognition/college rivalries spilling out onto the court. Magic/Larry saved the NBA. Magic/Larry would have become a thing anyway, but it was smokin' hot from day one because of the college rivalry. MJ's Carolina practice shorts and issue with Duke players...it wasn't impactful, but it was fun.

I would like high school entry or 3 years/21st birthday like baseball, but I get why that is probably undoable. I would most like 2 years flat, but would be fine with direct entry or 2 years/20th birthday. That extra year helps nip the overseas flight a bit, as 2 years in the Israeli league or the French league becomes a bit more of a haul playing with players who don't want you there, learning new foods and languages (all good things for personal growth, but not comfort zones for the average 18 year old American hoop prodigy), and getting no support from veteran players who see you as a threat and a primadonna. I think a straight 2 years for the opt out in the final year of the rookie cap would be a fair deal that would touch on everyone's concerns and be for everyone's benefit.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

gumby wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Didn't help that a giant Cheet-O was behind the Curtain of Distraction.
Did Trump go to ASU?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat wrote:We just offered Elijah Weaver, top 50 rated PG. He can play off the ball too. I think Arizona just wants to avoid not having options at the PG spot like these last few years. Williams seems to be on board since he said he intends to help recruit Quentin Grimes.
Not one mention of his defense....I like the wingspan though
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Wow.

Trying to play two PGs/ball handlers together and adding a couple of athletic versatile wings/forwards, it's almost like we're trying to play modern day basketball.