let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '18

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Rumors also say the paid player was Kobi Simmons and he is gone
Real rumors suggest that there's nothing definitive *at this very moment* that any one on this year's team or last year's team was paid in any way shape or form. Doesn't mean they weren't of course, but you need proof. What we have in that regard is an used car salesman's words. The most damning thing for us at the moment is Quinerly because it was Book's very words that brought that one to light. He'll never play at the U of A though so how damning will that be in the long run? The longer this goes on with nothing more dropping the easier this gets for Arizona to run things as normal and selling recruits on that fact. Normal recruiting (as normal as it can get for the moment) will be resuming shortly starting with Froling, a 4 year role player. It will be interesting to see where Arizona goes from here, we've already discussed some names so let's see.

From the way this is tracking though the punishment that we will receive will predominantly stem from the damage that came with losing Nassir Little, Jahvon Quinerly, and Bol Bol.
We need to re-recruit Quinerly.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Real rumors suggest that there's nothing definitive *at this very moment* that any one on this year's team or last year's team was paid in any way shape or form. Doesn't mean they weren't of course, but you need proof. What we have in that regard is an used car salesman's words. The most damning thing for us at the moment is Quinerly because it was Book's very words that brought that one to light. He'll never play at the U of A though so how damning will that be in the long run? The longer this goes on with nothing more dropping the easier this gets for Arizona to run things as normal and selling recruits on that fact. Normal recruiting (as normal as it can get for the moment) will be resuming shortly starting with Froling, a 4 year role player. It will be interesting to see where Arizona goes from here, we've already discussed some names so let's see.

From the way this is tracking though the punishment that we will receive will predominantly stem from the damage that came with losing Nassir Little, Jahvon Quinerly, and Bol Bol.
Lol, I've thought about it, but the optics would just be too bad.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

He's denying taking money. He has an attorney, so he should be ok unless there's proof on the back end. He is really good.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

He's denying taking money. He has an attorney, so he should be ok unless there's proof on the back end. He is really good.
My guess is his attorney would strongly suggest to not even contact us.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ick. No.
Right where I want to be.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Look, if Roy Williams can march out and declare that cheaters should be banned from the sport then Sean Miller should be able to take back Quinerly with a "our players are very well vetted for their high character" quote.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Look, if Roy Williams can march out and declare that cheaters should be banned from the sport then Sean Miller should be able to take back Quinerly with a "our players are very well vetted for their high character" quote.
Here's my argument.

If Quinerly wants to assert this wasn't actually about $, he should stick with us now that Book is out. Say the Book thing was unfortunate, but he didn't know, didn't take money and picked Arizona on the merit. Staying away just lends credence to the idea that he was an Arizona commit because he got paid.

I mean, I get Choo's point and I don't think it actually goes down like this, but I can dream, right?
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Regardless Quin prob won't play college ball cause the ncaa won't give any school the go ahead by next year
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Look, if Roy Williams can march out and declare that cheaters should be banned from the sport then Sean Miller should be able to take back Quinerly with a "our players are very well vetted for their high character" quote.
Here's my argument.

If Quinerly wants to assert this wasn't actually about $, he should stick with us now that Book is out. Say the Book thing was unfortunate, but he didn't know, didn't take money and picked Arizona on the merit. Staying away just lends credence to the idea that he was an Arizona commit because he got paid.

I mean, I get Choo's point and I don't think it actually goes down like this, but I can dream, right?
I agreed with this take the moment every thing happened. I mean if you are trying to look innocent then sticking to your Arizona commitment and saying you always wanted to go there and money was never a factor would be the best way to go. The optics look bad from Arizona's stand point to have the kid on roster quite frankly, but from Quinerly's angle I always saw sticking with us being his most clear way to at least appear innocent. It didn't happen though and we're at where we're at.

Now for the love of god can Sean Miller please offer this kid yesterday and start recruiting some actual talent? https://247sports.com/Player/Devonaire- ... e-46042929" target="_blank
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

If it were me and I had not been offered or accepted money, I might keep distance from a program that might end up with sanctions or loss of schollies or no post season. I would want to be able to showcase my talents on the biggest stage along side other great players. But if there were any shenanigans, I'd stay away also and hope to distance myself from the situation. If I was clean and believed the program was clean I might reconsider. It does look better to stay I think.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Choo, I saw several players still available in that link that I think are worth an offer under current conditions, including your Devonaire.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Choo, I saw several players still available in that link that I think are worth an offer under current conditions, including your Devonaire.
Jairus Hamilton (we've been involved with prior)
Bryan Penn-Johnson (have also been involved with prior)
Devonaire Doutrive

Those are 3 guys I'd get involved with stat.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:Choo, I saw several players still available in that link that I think are worth an offer under current conditions, including your Devonaire.
Jairus Hamilton (we've been involved with prior)
Bryan Penn-Johnson (have also been involved with prior)
Devonaire Doutrive

Those are 3 guys I'd get involved with stat.
That’d make me very happy.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Quinerly is a poor man's Trae Young. Hopefully he comes and is able to play, would be super fun.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

SunnyAZ wrote:Quinerly is a poor man's Trae Young. Hopefully he comes and is able to play, would be super fun.
Comes where? What are you talking about? There is 0 chance he is playing college basketball at Arizona.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

SunnyAZ wrote:Quinerly is a poor man's Trae Young. Hopefully he comes and is able to play, would be super fun.
Yao Ming was a rich man's Dusan Ristic. Hopefully he becomes 18 again and comes to play for Arizona, would be super fun.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

bunch of negative nancys
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

SunnyAZ wrote:bunch of negative nancys
I can understand that...this thread started out as the most epic, probably the best class ever for Arizona and well, it’s turned to crap.....just looking for anything positive at this point....so far it’s still one of the two most depressing threads on the Hoops board now. BTFD.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Comes where? What are you talking about? There is 0 chance he is playing college basketball at Arizona.
I get what Choo is saying, and if he says we're out, we're out. If JQ is playing college basketball, I can make a pretty good case that it is best for him and for Arizona for him to be at Arizona, but that doesn't mean he wants it that way.

O'Neal and Williams, if they stay 4 years, will be really solid additions and building blocks. The 3 other names Choo listed would be building blocks as well. It might not be a star studded class, but it can be one that pays dividends in 3-4 years.

It is funny how many people want the upperclassmen we play against, then freak when we recruit the lower starred guys who stay to be upperclassmen.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Being honest, next year does appear to be a rebuilding year, not even a reloading year as in the past. OTOH, Alex, Akot/Smith, Randolph, Lee and the ex-Dukie are a good start with upside and competitive practices already assured with 2 promising recruits. I do expect 2 or 3 more 4-star level recruits. I'd even welcome a 3-star or two to become that 5th year senior that I appreciate so much. The cupboard is NOT bare. We just might need to lower our sights from FF to Pac-12 champions for a year or 2.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Being honest, next year does appear to be a rebuilding year, not even a reloading year as in the past. OTOH, Alex, Akot/Smith, Randolph, Lee and the ex-Dukie are a good start with upside and competitive practices already assured with 2 promising recruits. I do expect 2 or 3 more 4-star level recruits. I'd even welcome a 3-star or two to become that 5th year senior that I appreciate so much. The cupboard is NOT bare. We just might need to lower our sights from FF to Pac-12 champions for a year or 2.
Pending a tourney ban of course, next year's team is still a tourney caliber team with probably a Sweet 16 ceiling. It's a down year instead of a Final Four year that was going to be in the cards with Quinerly, Little, and Bol, but nonetheless it's a good year to cheer for the development of the talent we would have. I'm still holding out hope Miller attempts to recruit the guys I mentioned a few posts above this one.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Maybe JQ will be the first player to sign in Lavar's new league
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:Maybe JQ will be the first player to sign in Lavar's new league
LaVar's new league is going to be a big pay cut for some of the top prospects.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Plus, it's LaVar's league.
Right where I want to be.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Maybe Taeshon Cherry?
az91

Post by az91 »

luteformayor2 wrote:Maybe Taeshon Cherry?
It would be nice, but probably not going to happen. It is a fair question to wonder if any more recruits will sign before the FBI witch hunt is resolved.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

No. The team I've heard with the most traction in this one isn't going to make anyone here happy.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ChooChooCat wrote:
No. The team I've heard with the most traction in this one isn't going to make anyone here happy.
Choo, nooooooooo! Ouch!

Wait, would a good spanking of that team next Sat help us a little? Maybe? Pleeeeze!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EOCT wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Choo, nooooooooo! Ouch!

Wait, would a good spanking of that team next Sat help us a little? Maybe? Pleeeeze!
No.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Duke or UNC or Kansas?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CalStateTempe wrote:Duke or UNC or Kansas?
Asu
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol, what?!? Why?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CalStateTempe wrote:Lol, what?!? Why?
Fun, open offense vs a slow half court grind it out, run set plays every possession on offense etc
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Plus he's on an Adidas AAU team now. #bagguy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Plus he's on an Adidas AAU team now. #bagguy
Primarily this, although it's not the AAU team, but rather his new HS team and their coach (TJ Leaf's dad).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Fun, open offense vs a slow half court grind it out, run set plays every possession on offense etc
This isn't an ASU vs AZ issue either. The second Arizona landed Shareef O'Neal that pretty much eliminated Arizona from Cherry's perspective, which is what led him to USC in the first place. Now there's new influences in this recruitment hence ASU's position now.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
This isn't an ASU vs AZ issue either. The second Arizona landed Shareef O'Neal that pretty much eliminated Arizona from Cherry's perspective, which is what led him to USC in the first place. Now there's new influences in this recruitment hence ASU's position now.
Good insights as always Choo.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

So best case scenario what are we looking at for 18?

Barcello
Randolph
Dylan Smith
Akot
Ira lee
Shareef
Brandon Williams
Chase Jeter

I think 2 more recruits....maybe a transfer? Do Randolph and Ira lee stay?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

billk78 wrote:So best case scenario what are we looking at for 18?

Barcello
Randolph
Dylan Smith
Akot
Ira lee
Shareef
Brandon Williams
Chase Jeter

The alternative being they scuttle a promising future by making the delusional decision they're reading to play professionally.

Watching Randolph I come to very obvious conclusion. He's very talented. He's also a very long way from being an NBA talent. He has zero toughness and his basketball IQ hasn't translated to making decisive, winning plays on the court. If he was smart, he'd commit himself to at least three years of college basketball and then make an assessment after his junior year. Maybe by then things will have changed. He could be a very, very good college player and leverage that into a strong position in the draft. He needs a ton more seasoning.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Barcello
Randolph
Dylan Smith
Akot
Ira lee
Shareef
Brandon Williams
Chase Jeter

Ummm where are they going to go?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Well, cherry is player 8, so, there's that
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Barcello
Randolph
Dylan Smith
Akot
Ira lee
Shareef
Brandon Williams
Chase Jeter

I'm assuming they stay but there have been similar players to leave. Kobi Simmons, Grant Jerrett, etc. Transfer or declaring early (bad decision) could always happen. You never know.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

billk78 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Barcello
Randolph
Dylan Smith
Akot
Ira lee
Shareef
Brandon Williams
Chase Jeter

I'm assuming they stay but there have been similar players to leave. Kobi Simmons, Grant Jerrett, etc. Transfer or declaring early (bad decision) could always happen. You never know.
Unless Randolph poorly declares, looking at that list, he will be the focal point of next year's team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote:
billk78 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Barcello
Randolph
Dylan Smith
Akot
Ira lee
Shareef
Brandon Williams
Chase Jeter

Unless Randolph poorly declares, looking at that list, he will be the focal point of next year's team.
I posted this in the other thread, but I want Randolph and Akot back because I see that wing rotation as the strength of next year's team. Certainly from a scoring perpective, we need points to come from somewhere, and the most likely place is the wing.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Barcello
Randolph
Dylan Smith
Akot
Ira lee
Shareef
Brandon Williams
Chase Jeter

Kobi and Jerrett have the same thing in common that Randolph and Lee do not have and that's people with agendas around them providing bad advice. Kobi was a one and done no matter what happened and Jerrett fell victim to being in a crowded frontcourt, and in all honesty should've transferred. Whether tournament banned or not Randolph is very likely going to be Arizona's top offensive weapon next season and will be utilized as such. Lee is a 4 year guy no matter what school he goes to and his playing time isn't going to disappear even with the presence of Reef who is certainly in no way a shoe in to start over Lee.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
billk78 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Barcello
Randolph
Dylan Smith
Akot
Ira lee
Shareef
Brandon Williams
Chase Jeter

I posted this in the other thread, but I want Randolph and Akot back because I see that wing rotation as the strength of next year's team. Certainly from a scoring perpective, we need points to come from somewhere, and the most likely place is the wing.
Certainly the wing and if Williams continues on this track it certainly looks as if point guard will be a strength for next year's team for the first time in awhile.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I posted this in the other thread, but I want Randolph and Akot back because I see that wing rotation as the strength of next year's team. Certainly from a scoring perpective, we need points to come from somewhere, and the most likely place is the wing.
Certainly the wing and if Williams continues on this track it certainly looks as if point guard will be a strength for next year's team for the first time in awhile.
We can hope that Barcello gets his feet under him as well. Then we'd have two guards who can really score and a collection of wings that can do the same, with a front court that just needs to hold the line. Not our usual but I'm down.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I posted this in the other thread, but I want Randolph and Akot back because I see that wing rotation as the strength of next year's team. Certainly from a scoring perpective, we need points to come from somewhere, and the most likely place is the wing.
We can hope that Barcello gets his feet under him as well. Then we'd have two guards who can really score and a collection of wings that can do the same, with a front court that just needs to hold the line. Not our usual but I'm down.
The less pressure on Barcello, the better. I'd love to see Williams be ready from day 1 because you can easily play them together if Barcello is ready, but it isn't a sure thing he will be.

Frontcourtwise, we need the Shareef/Ira duo to give us a solid 4 and for Jeter to be ready to hold down the 5. That's the area we have the least margin for error right now, IMO.