let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by Chicat »

Azgirl wrote:No Arizona is not going to do that..
Nor should they. Those takes are silly and have been since the beginning.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Good Christ we are not going to make Miller take a polygraph test. Absolutely insane take.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:asu is the only adidas west coast school, I expect them to land talent because of that
Etop, the guy who runs the Compton Magic AAU program, has been behind the ASU bench in pretty much every one of their home games. That's not a coincidence. UCLA going to UnderArmour will benefit ASU greatly and it already has.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Wait, I thought the FBI and the NCAA were going to clean up all this shoe company shit?
What irks me to no end about this whole situation is Book set up a deal with Adidas guys, a group of guys who benefit from recruits choosing the school 2 hours up north more than choosing us. Book went right into the snake's den and got what he deserved for doing so.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

dmjcat wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
CatHoops wrote:Why act now apparently we have no other players in question and book was fired asap. They can't take this year away from us if that's the case. Finish the year then impose something in the off season when all is quiet.

As for this year and 'players in question,' well that's the point.

The NCAA will have the final word but we can have the first word. I suggest we convey remorse and ANNOUNCE penalties for the future. It provides a form of local closure that might help with recruiting. There's no harm in trying as surely Book's actions will result in penalty, such as Spaceman Spiff suggested.

We are not taking away a thing (except scholarships).

The NCAA will do what it wants with this matter. But being first to acknowledge the obvious with some sort of serious sanction can't hurt. From my perspective, it takes off weight from the anvil over Arizona's head.

The sooner the better.
Hank:

I completely agree that we need to get the FBI mess behind us the sooner the better. I do believe, however, that we need to approach self sanctions very carefully, or they could backfire on us. Here is my personal road map for dealing with this mess:

1) Complete the internal investigation ASAP

2) If the investigation shows that AZ is innocent forward the results to the NCAA ASAP and meet with them. Offer to
fund the cost of the NCAA's investigation in order to expedite it. Offer up Miller for a polygraph test

3) If the investigation finds that we are guilty then we should also forward the results to the NCAA. Meet with the NCAA in
person and offer to fund the NCAA's investigation in order to expedite it. Discuss what sanctions are appropriate. If giving
up the NCAA tourney for 18 will satisfy them we should jump on it. I do NOT think we should self sanction without consultation
with the NCAA. We could take a nasty self inflicted hit only to have the NCAA impose more sanctions at a later date.

Bottom line......we are better off taking sanctions sooner rather than later. If we don't we are going to be spending the next 2 or 3 seasons waiting to see if some skinny 3 star prospect is willing to take the risk of signing with us (be honest folks its already happening) while the scum up the road takes recruits we used to get (Cherry). I realize this plan isn't popular with the Instant Gratification message board crowd but its best for the UA in the long run. We NEED to get this behind us ASAP.
No offense intended dmjcat but were you stoned when you wrote this? Good Lord, your roadmap is insanity IMO. Point #1 is ok but the rest is a train wreck and reeks of a guilty conscience and/or desperation.

Whatever happened to ‘Innocent Until Proven Guilty’??? Yes, it’s a PR nightmare and we need to get our internal done ASAP no doubt then publicly release the findings. I’m ASSUMING CSM is innocent as I can’t believe someone of his caliber, intelligence, integrity and TALENT doesn’t need to cheat.

Enough said of this train-wreck of a roadmap. Please take a mulligan and BTFD.
Last edited by Bangkok Wildcat on Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Good Christ we are not going to make Miller take a polygraph test. Absolutely insane take.
You’re being too gentle Choo...please take the gloves off and go full contact on this crap. As always, your insight/takes/analysis is very much appreciated. Happy New Year!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Good Christ we are not going to make Miller take a polygraph test. Absolutely insane take.
I missed that. Geez, that's funny. I guess instead of literally slapping Miller in the face, we should metaphorically do it instead. Maybe afterwards, we should make him wear a dog collar and leash and beg for his job.

https://youtu.be/iQGwrK_yDEg" target="_blank

https://youtu.be/HNLC-b8zWEk" target="_blank

Those are my two favorite lie detector related clips.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I like the idea that offering to fund the investigation doesn’t look like:

1) a massive institutional bribe
2) a ham-fisted attempt at scuttling it by limiting the budget
3) an insane conflict of interest for all parties
4) all of the above
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Agree completely Choo----just nuts. Thanks for the observation.

Polygraphs are extremely controversial, and that's putting it mildly. Studies show the practice simply fails to objectively measure veracity; Liars often pass tests, honest people often fail them. And if someone does not accept an invitation to undergo a test, it implies to many that "Well, what does he have to hide?.

It's terrible management practice for an employer to involve any employee, much less an executive like Coach Miller, in an "offer" to let him take a polygraph. Good effing grief.
Last edited by EOCT on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Let’s offer up CSM for a few waterboarding sessions. You know, to figuratively and literally wash the stink off the program.

What do you say guys? I mean, if it helped us get Bin Laden....
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Roy Moore claims to have passed a lie detector test who in the fuck wants to put Miller in the same kiddie pool with that perv?

Self sanctioning should only be done IF anything is found to be out of compliance, as far as I can tell no one expects every program in America to be 100% compliant with a bunch of nebulous rules 100% of the time, this is exactly why Pinder was benched a game and an assistant was docked a week of pay, borderline compliance errors and we self sanctioned already.

Hell Oregon is defiantly standing up to the NCAA, UNC spit in their face, the idea of rolling over and sticking your ass up in the air to get butt fucked by your competition is an insane fear based approach to running your program...pretty sure Miller would laugh at these ideas.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Let’s offer up CSM for a few waterboarding sessions. You know, to figuratively and literally wash the stink off the program.

What do you say guys? I mean, if it helped us get Bin Laden....
What if we just have to play to his instincts?

"Kaffee: Good. Jessup told Kendrick to order the code red, Kendrick did and our clients followed the order. The cover-up isn't our case - to win Jessup needs to tell the court members that he ordered the code red.

Lt. Weinberg: And now you think you can get him to just say it?

Kaffee: I think he wants to say it. I think he's pissed off that he's gotta hide from this. I think he wants to say that he made a command decision and that's the end of it."
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Brandon Williams looking VERY good.

Williams just dominated the LSI Tournament as he lead all scorers with 27.8 PPG on 16.5 FGAs. That's partly owing to his absurdly high free throw rate, taking nearly 15 per game (a damn near 90% FTR... where Trier is elite in the 50s). Also was top five in steals. First team all tournament.

Kid sure can attack.

Also worth noting: the previous guards for his HS team were De'Anthony Melton and London Perrantes.

More.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I wonder if there is any mural interest

https://sports.yahoo.com/missouri-fresh ... 05516.html
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Frybry02 wrote:I wonder if there is any mural interest

If Harris signed with Romar once, maybe he likes him enough to come here. A year learning the system as a red shirt should get him ready for a good sophomore year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I wonder if there is any mural interest

If Harris signed with Romar once, maybe he likes him enough to come here. A year learning the system as a red shirt should get him ready for a good sophomore year.
Also played with Rawle at Word of God in Raleigh, so another connection to draw upon.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Devonaire Doutrive is a more realistic target as a combo guard.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Devonaire Doutrive is a more realistic target as a combo guard.
Good, I'd rather have him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:
Creighton
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Fine by me. I wanted the post depth for 2018 but this guy doesn't see himself or play like a post player.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just offer Doutrive already FFS.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Just offer Doutrive already FFS.
What are we waiting for? Does anyone have a sense of who we are closest with?
az91

Post by az91 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Taeshon Cherry taking visits to ASU & Texas A&M. I wonder what those two schools have in common? Maybe we should ask TJ Leaf's dad about that.
I just saw on ESPN that Cherry has committed to ASU.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

az91 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Taeshon Cherry taking visits to ASU & Texas A&M. I wonder what those two schools have in common? Maybe we should ask TJ Leaf's dad about that.
Good!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

3goggles wrote:
az91 wrote:
Good!
I must be missing something. How is it good that we just lost another 5-star? To ASU, no less.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
3goggles wrote:
az91 wrote:
Good!
I must be missing something. How is it good that we just lost another 5-star? To ASU, no less.
You can’t lose what you never had, or what you never could have had.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
3goggles wrote:
az91 wrote:
Good!
You can’t lose what you never had, or what you never could have had.
Got it. I thought we were recruiting Cherry.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Got it. I thought we were recruiting Cherry.
Brady Leaf made it so only Adidas schools had a remote chance after every thing with SC fell apart, hence why it was ASU or A&M.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

So, who are we after now? I believe in second chances, but no longer want Harris after the public reprimand. I still would like to see Doutrive signed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:So, who are we after now? I believe in second chances, but no longer want Harris after the public reprimand. I still would like to see Doutrive signed.
I'd settle for Doutrive to be offered. At least fucking try...
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Yeah, offers aren't binding, are they? Covers.com suggested that the Cal freshman forward who has been doing pretty well might be extra motivated tonight. He went to Miles' high school which seemed like a pipeline at one time. He lived in Phoenix for a few years, but was never offered. He may have something to prove to Miller and the recruiting staff.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Covers.com suggested that the Cal freshman forward who has been doing pretty well might be extra motivated tonight. He went to Miles' high school which seemed like a pipeline at one time. He lived in Phoenix for a few years, but was never offered. He may have something to prove to Miller and the recruiting staff.
That's a reach if I've ever seen one. He was a three star prospect - we don't offer every kid out of Mater Dei.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPN_Schick/ ... gr%5Etweet" target="_blank

Fingers crossed this is true, because if true, it could really help our 2018 cause.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPN_Schick/ ... gr%5Etweet

Fingers crossed this is true, because if true, it could really help our 2018 cause.
Click on tweet to read the whole thread
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I heard a vote on this isn't coming until June at the earliest, which would probably make it too little too late for us.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The talk of a transfer window is helpful, but it's like curing violence with an annual purge. It's horrible and free - but only briefly!

Miller said that allowing free transfer of players would make the the game "unrecognizable."

“If that rule passed, college basketball and college sports would change in such a drastic way that the new model would be unrecognizable to fans, coaches, universities, student-athletes and eventually the TV networks,” Miller told the Star. “I hope it never happens for all those who care about college sports.”

I'm with coach.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Me too, although I think they need to relax on some stuff, like if you haven't played in a game yet, no wait. If the head coach that recruited you was fired, no wait, but if he takes another job, he can't just bring all his recruits with him. I'm sure there's even drawbacks to opening it up in those situations but if you commit to a program and it changes drastically you should be able to transfer to a place where you fit better.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:The talk of a transfer window is helpful, but it's like curing violence with an annual purge. It's horrible and free - but only briefly!

Miller said that allowing free transfer of players would make the the game "unrecognizable."

“If that rule passed, college basketball and college sports would change in such a drastic way that the new model would be unrecognizable to fans, coaches, universities, student-athletes and eventually the TV networks,” Miller told the Star. “I hope it never happens for all those who care about college sports.”

I'm with coach.
I love Miller, but disagree with him here. I love the idea that good academic performance (and good basketball performance) is incentivized. If you handle business in the classroom and on the court, you get broader ability to move to an9ther school if you so choose.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Kids should be able to leave without penalty if the coach leaves, but aside from that, it is hard enough to build teams now with the one-and-done rule and kids leaving prematurely. Imagine kids being able to leave and transfer between programs with absolute ease, with no repercussions? It would be a mess.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

midnightx wrote:Kids should be able to leave without penalty if the coach leaves, but aside from that, it is hard enough to build teams now with the one-and-done rule and kids leaving prematurely. Imagine kids being able to leave and transfer between programs with absolute ease, with no repercussions? It would be a mess.
Recruiting would never end. Even after a playing starts his career with another program. There would be coaches constantly poaching other programs during the season with family members inquiring about playing time with another coach/team even within your own conference. I think it would be a disaster.

Just think of our team before the start of this season. Over the summer, Sean Miller has his assistants pick up the phone and call around to every point guard who he thinks is better than PJC. That's half the Pac 12.

No thanks.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Just offer Doutrive already FFS.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Does anyone think it's weird that we play the mountain schools next week before we play the L.A. schools or the Washington schools?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:Does anyone think it's weird that we play the mountain schools next week before we play the L.A. schools or the Washington schools?
Last year was similar, not specifically to the mountain schools, but we had something similar.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Zion Williamson to Duke holy crap, monster class.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Zion Williamson to Duke holy crap, monster class.
And the FBI is nowhere to be found...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We could face Duke at Maui next year, gulp.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

What is that, #s 1,2,3,&10 recruits??? That's ridiculous. They gonna have anyone noteworthy back?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:What is that, #s 1,2,3,&10 recruits??? That's ridiculous. They gonna have anyone noteworthy back?
And they can all academically qualify for one of the most difficult institutions in the nation. Yeah, right.