let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:UCLA got Reef instead of Jordan Brown lol
Hell if I'm Arizona I want Reef to stay committed to UCLA for this very reason lol.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Hell if I'm Arizona I want Reef to stay committed to UCLA for this very reason lol.
We're not recruiting Brown, are we?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Don't think so but he is saying that we have to face Shareef now instead of Brown and that is a good thing. At least that's how I interpreted it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

btfd16 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Don't think so but he is saying that we have to face Shareef now instead of Brown and that is a good thing. At least that's how I interpreted it.
You are correct.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Williams just decommitted.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Williams just decommitted.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I am dead inside
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Thanks ESPN!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Ethan Happ looks like he'll transfer because Wisconsin is so bad, hopefully he's willing to consider. Still would need a ball handler though.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:Ethan Happ looks like he'll transfer because Wisconsin is so bad, hopefully he's willing to consider
A lot of "that's bogus rumors" pushing back on that report. Pro or returns to Wiscy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is the concern a potential post-season ban next year due to "institutional control" over the Book situation?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I think the concern is "will Miller even be there?"
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

WTF is this
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

When does our program start suing for damages?

You can’t yell “fire” in a crowded building and then state you’re just “reporting” what your “sources” told you.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wow what a shitbag tweet.
prh

Post by prh »

Longhorned wrote:Is the concern a potential post-season ban next year due to "institutional control" over the Book situation?
Shareef just took a self imposed post season ban next year, so I don't understand why that's such a big deal
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

prh wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Is the concern a potential post-season ban next year due to "institutional control" over the Book situation?
Shareef just took a self imposed post season ban next year, so I don't understand why that's such a big deal
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think it was too much to ask to have 2 consecutive days of good news...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Let the season play out. At this point you have Miller till the end of this one and that's it.

Re evaluate in a month. 24 hours ago your basketball life was over as you know it.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The important question to ask now if you're Arizona is can Sean Miller ever recruit effectively again?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:The important question to ask now if you're Arizona is can Sean Miller ever recruit effectively again?

For what school?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:The important question to ask now if you're Arizona is can Sean Miller ever recruit effectively again?
I'm leaning to no, the damage is done, which would means you can't keep him. It's a legitimate question.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

You aren't getting better to Arizona than Miller. We can debate this at the end of the year if you guys want...but it's so Arizona to ignore the current to focus on future.

Winning cures everything.
killervibe

Post by killervibe »

I don't follow recruiting closely.. I just read that neither Shareef nor Brandon were McDAAs. Is that correct?
Disclaimer: Posts may not be suitable for the overly sensitive, feebleminded, or criminally insane. In the event I offend you, please take a big step back and literally GFY.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:

For what school?
Alaska-Anchorage
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
I'm leaning to no, the damage is done, which would means you can't keep him. It's a legitimate question.
Who knows? Miller was actually doing fine given the situation until ESPN napalmed us. There's a lot of scrambling that has to happen, and the future of the program being so much in the air is killing momentum.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Who knows? Miller was actually doing fine given the situation until ESPN napalmed us. There's a lot of scrambling that has to happen, and the future of the program being so much in the air is killing momentum.
Quinerly
Little
Bowen
Walker

All these guys we had or would've landed. All these guys are connected to the FBI probe somehow. Rawle's name popped up in the Yahoo email report. We all of a sudden land Kobi & Rawle out of nowhere. And Terrance Ferguson. The program has been going in the wrong direction for a while. I personally don't have a problem with it, hell I wish we go drop some bags and land Brown, Montgomery, Simmons right now. But with the spotlight on, it's going to be difficult. Too much uncertainty for kids, huge could over the program over the program/Miller. The good thing there's tons of west coast kids that would love to play at Arizona. But can Arizona be competitive, it's not like we're dominating with superior talent.

Tevian Jones & Devonaire Doutrieve would be here for 3-4 years and would be actually be honored to play here, could be a nice save from this.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just win baby.

Miller’s proven he can recruit. He’s proven he can coach. get the FF and this all takes care of itself.

If he hunkers down for a while with West Coast kids that stay and develop (look at tj) with in occasional standout, we’ll be fine. Get through the probes and then we’re back to slinging it around with the best of them:
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

patience.

If he needs to rebuild and is here, he will. Pitino? Recruited again. Calipari? Recruited again.

Having the FBI thing is tough. But there are going to be some good players, maybe not the top 5 stars, but some of those long term players everyone wants, and some senior transfers, who are going to want to get some Arizona run. Some players who will trade out the possibility of sanctions for the possibility of no sanctions, or wholesale changes, to get that Arizona run. And a one year has no real worry, because this isn't going to be adjudicated through the FBI then passed to the NCAA in time to affect 2018-19

If he stays. But, Christ...we are one day out from the end of the execution. Let's give the guy a chance to get a night's sleep and win a PAC 12 title outright before we start wondering if student managers are going to play.

The passion is sometimes a double-edged sword. The kind Miller was ready to give up before this...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

For the immediate future we need to focus on kids who always dreamed of playing for Arizona regardless of the number of stars after their name
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Take our lumps and keep moving forward. Que sera sera.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Quinerly
Little
Bowen
Walker

All these guys we had or would've landed. All these guys are connected to the FBI probe somehow. Rawle's name popped up in the Yahoo email report. We all of a sudden land Kobi & Rawle out of nowhere. And Terrance Ferguson. The program has been going in the wrong direction for a while. I personally don't have a problem with it, hell I wish we go drop some bags and land Brown, Montgomery, Simmons right now. But with the spotlight on, it's going to be difficult. Too much uncertainty for kids, huge could over the program over the program/Miller. The good thing there's tons of west coast kids that would love to play at Arizona. But can Arizona be competitive, it's not like we're dominating with superior talent.

Tevian Jones & Devonaire Doutrieve would be here for 3-4 years and would be actually be honored to play here, could be a nice save from this.
Yeah, we went from dominant recruiting class prior to the FBI complaint down to decent long term recruiting class. Then ESPN happened and it turned into who knows and do we even get anyone?

Who knows, man. This isn't really a black mark on Miller, though. Any replacement would have similar issues.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Easy answer
YES

Now I would be really surprised if Miller leaves Arizona now. And I think the guy is going to go all-in on building our program back up. The guys will simply out-work others like he has always done.

I have zero concerns. This class will not be good but honestly recruiting is a total crap shoot. Look at Miller's first year. What if another program gets a story on them and all of a sudden all those kids come available.

I would never bet against a motivated Sean Miller in recruiting...ever.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

strange feeling. On one side we as fans and the admin have backed him in he biggest dogfight college BBall has ever seen and on the other if you can't recruit we might feel like we should dump you?

Our program has been neutered for awhile and the classes will be mediocre at best. I just hope we don't have any transfers out of the guys coming back.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

We avoided the worst possible scenario imo, a possible 4 to 6 year rebuild if we caved to the espn hit job. Now at worst a 2 year rebuild and if Miller stays long term maybe a 1 year rebuild.

Guys we just had our Bunker Hill of Wildcat basketball. We won a battle that has shifted momentum and gives us a path to win the war, but we still have to Beardown and get through some tough battles ahead but in the end we will be vindicated and victorious!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This week is what button salmon was talking about.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I would keep him for now. We aren't getting any one better than Sean anytime soon
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Lando05 wrote:We avoided the worst possible scenario imo, a possible 4 to 6 year rebuild if we caved to the espn hit job. Now at worst a 2 year rebuild and if Miller stays long term maybe a 1 year rebuild.

Guys we just had our Bunker Hill of Wildcat basketball. We won a battle that has shifted momentum and gives us a path to win the war, but we still have to Beardown and get through some tough battles ahead but in the end we will be vindicated and victorious!
I love it when our posters pull historical and biblical analogies. Awesome.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

YoDeFoe wrote:
NYCat wrote:Ethan Happ looks like he'll transfer because Wisconsin is so bad, hopefully he's willing to consider
A lot of "that's bogus rumors" pushing back on that report. Pro or returns to Wiscy.
lol pro, he is the exact opposite of what NBA teams want in role players.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
Lando05 wrote:We avoided the worst possible scenario imo, a possible 4 to 6 year rebuild if we caved to the espn hit job. Now at worst a 2 year rebuild and if Miller stays long term maybe a 1 year rebuild.

I love it when our posters pull historical and biblical analogies. Awesome.
Unless another incident comes to light and the press conference yesterday gets used against us. In that case, it's more like Hitler's invasion of Russia. A completely self-inflicted decision that went great at the beginning, then spiraled into a disaster that eventually led to the leader's suicide.

We're less evil than Nazi Germany (I hope) and certainly hopefully no more bad news comes down the pike that means the press conference yesterday backfires. We're so effing snakebit, I can't help but worry.

If it goes well, in addition to Bunker Hill, maybe Gettysburg? Decisive point, reversed momentum (Lee could conceivably have invaded DC) but followed by a grinding series of battles marked by heavy losses and attrition, but leading to an eventual, hard-fought W.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just to put everything in perspective

Arizona survived a recruiting class of Travis Hanour, Andrew Zahn and Mike Schwerley
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Alieberman wrote:Just to put everything in perspective

Arizona survived a recruiting class of Travis Hanour, Andrew Zahn and Mike Schwerley
You left out Jason Ranne :ugeek:
az91

Post by az91 »

Great question. The next few years are looking very lean. I have been amazed how Dana Altaman has been able to restock his teams with transfers. Perhaps, transfers along with some foreign players could be the solution for the short-term future of the program.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

prh wrote:
:lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I remember one year Lute had one recruit, Dion Broom or something like that. Never played a minute.

But when you have 4 year players, it's not really that big of deal to strike out on a recruiting class.

When the players started bailing before their 4 years, Lute had some real issues due to the NCAA rule at the time limiting the number of recruits per year and over a 2 year period.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Quinerly
Little
Bowen
Walker

Good post. We need more Nick Johnson's and TJ Mcconnels. Step away from the one and done business. More 3-4 year guys who can become leaders. Perhaps this whole thing makes Miller rethink the whole recruiting process. Maybe it's not such a horrible thing. He was successful at Xavier without landing huge names. I know, no natty, but still successful.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

How many players can you name without looking it up from the Miller coacher 2007-2008 Xavier team that went to the elite 8? My point is that with Millers defensive minded system, sometimes talent is overrated if you cant get five guys to play as one defensively.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I am perfectly fine going the 4 star, 3-4 year type guys. Start going the Gonzaga, UNC, Virginia etc route. Landing big names bring publicity and at this time, not the publicity we want or need.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I think Miller will be around for at least a few years. I just don't see why they would restructure/reword his contract for what amounts to about another month.

I think BW decommitting is just insurance on his part. He hasn't written us off. Maybe, just maybe, he wants to wait until after the NCAA tournament to see if Miller is going to pack up and leave. If, after the tourney, Miller makes a strong statement about coming back, BW may just (or maybe not) recommit. And maybe after that, we could get a few other players -- transfers, grad transfer, JUCO -- that could help us weather this storm.

It also seems like there may be a move to end the one-and-done rule, to allow players, once again, to enter the NBA right out of high school. If that happens, it will be more important to have those 3 and 4 year players.

Just my thoughts, not based on much of anything. But at least I don't have a "source" feeding me this info.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Merkin wrote:

I remember one year Lute had one recruit, Dion Broom or something like that. Never played a minute.

But when you have 4 year players, it's not really that big of deal to strike out on a recruiting class.

When the players started bailing before their 4 years, Lute had some real issues due to the NCAA rule at the time limiting the number of recruits per year and over a 2 year period.
That's funny just played pick up ball with him over Christmas last year. Dion would have been really good if he could have got eligible. He was a really nice and a damn good ball player for his age.