Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

baycat93

Re: let's talk '18

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:Cal is def not a great basketball option - but the best school option. Like it or not, UNR is a legit basketball option now. As good as UofA? We're all biased and probably not, but Reno & Musselman are far from a bad option these days. Hard not to get optimistic about this though from our perspective.
If there's a big question about Nevada, it's how long Musselman is at Nevada. He's a legit rising star in the coaching world, and it would not shock anyone to see him get looks at major programs immediately.
Well that and do the twins come back or just go pro? If they come back then with brown they are a legit final four contender. If they don't then they're not worth shit quite frankly.
Are the twins a package to stay/go? What are their prospects? How long could that realistically go?
You almost never see twins not make the same exact decision. I've seen Caleb slotted in the early 2nd round and Cody in the latter end of the 2nd round. I think they're both at the point where they can't raise their draft stock with another year, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.
Is the 1AD rule change effecting any of these fringe 1st/2nd's'? Better go while there is less competition for spots?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well all the heavy hitters (Gershon and Daniels) have started to pick Nevada for Jordan Brown in the crystal ball and they don't typically do that unless they know it's a done deal. Time to move on.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Well all the heavy hitters (Gershon and Daniels) have started to pick Nevada for Jordan Brown in the crystal ball and they don't typically do that unless they know it's a done deal. Time to move on.
I'm ok either way. Still on cloud 9 from BWill. I thought he was our must get this year and we did it. Now just need to get back in the groove with future classes.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Well all the heavy hitters (Gershon and Daniels) have started to pick Nevada for Jordan Brown in the crystal ball and they don't typically do that unless they know it's a done deal. Time to move on.
I'm ok either way. Still on cloud 9 from BWill. I thought he was our must get this year and we did it. Now just need to get back in the groove with future classes.
Yeah just dont know what our answer to the question: Who is our backup 5 this year?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah just dont know what our answer to the question: Who is our backup 5 this year?
Yep. We're an injury away from having an unbelievably small team.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Our backup 5 is two 4's.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

azgreg wrote:Our backup 5 is two 4's.
yes, that is called basketball in 2018. Nova starts a PF at center and only get smaller after that. GS Warriors run Draymond at center in winning time. The Cavs start Love at center. The Celtics play most of the game with Horford at center. etc. etc.

This is an advantage. Yes, let's prosper with modern basketball.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

SunnyAZ wrote:
yes, that is called basketball in 2018. Nova starts a PF at center and only get smaller after that. GS Warriors run Draymond at center in winning time. The Cavs start Love at center. The Celtics play most of the game with Horford at center. etc. etc.

Couldn't agree more. I truly believe Ira Lee is primarily a modern 5 in college basketball, and I think Luther can play there some as well. Akot should be playing a ton at the 4. As much as I would love a commitment from another 5 star talent, I think it is exciting to imagine finally playing a more modern style here...we should be embracing that.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I kinda dig Ira Lee as a small ball five. He showed some really promising moves last year, moved the ball well, good bounce to the basket. Plays a lot bigger than 6’7” down there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Ira Lee/Luther with Akot and maybe Thielmans as a small 4 to chew up extra post minutes if needed.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Ira Lee/Luther with Akot and maybe Thielmans as a small 4 to chew up extra post minutes if needed.
I see Thielemans as the biggest wildcard of our team next year...for some reason I have more optimism than I should in him being ready to contribute year one, and in him having a big time future. I think he absolutely can play some small ball 4 just based on his highlights.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah I get it and I'm totally with you guys. Akot at the 4 in general is something I love.

I just know Sean Miller though and homie don't play that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah I get it and I'm totally with you guys. Akot at the 4 in general is something I love.

I agree in the sense it's pretty unlikely/impossible to be Plan A. Injury, foul trouble, etc, we have 3 guys in the post unless Brown commits, so sooner or later, we might need to get to Plans B and C.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Very true. That's why the only hope is to just not have the personnel to play big...hence why I'm a bit torn on wanting Jordan Brown. I just hope we don't add an inferior big man and play him decent minutes next year just because of Miller's proclivity for playing big...that's my nightmare scenario.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Playing small only works if you have elite shooters. Rebounding will become an issue if we go cold. Look what happened to ASU last year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TatetheGreat wrote:Playing small only works if you have elite shooters. Rebounding will become an issue if we go cold. Look what happened to ASU last year.
I'm not sure it's realistic to say that any of our returning/incoming guys is an "elite shooter." Smith, BW, Randolph...they can all shoot. Not sure about Coleman or Doutrive. But I don't think we have anyone who can heat up the way those ASU guys could last year.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That's not entirely true. Miller threw Solomon Hill at the 4 and went small. It's a double edged sword with big men. Everyone wants size and rebounding advantages, which Arizona always seems to have and properly exploits. But in tournament match ups, our size gets neutralized by speed. Hence, I'm not a fan at all of immobile guys like Tarc & Ristic. Now, that may change if you have exceptional guards who can create. I guess the main thing is you need versatility. And we haven't had that.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Playing small only works if you have elite shooters. Rebounding will become an issue if we go cold. Look what happened to ASU last year.
I'm not sure it's realistic to say that any of our returning/incoming guys is an "elite shooter." Smith, BW, Randolph...they can all shoot. Not sure about Coleman or Doutrive. But I don't think we have anyone who can heat up the way those ASU guys could last year.
Great shooting is not easy to come by. And as far as the ASU guards are concerned, they lived and died by shooting that ultimately became unreliable and facilitated finish near the bottom of a second-rate Pac 12. A team needs other parts to fill in when the shooting cools off. That is when a top-tier point guard can make a huge difference - moving the ball and establishing an offense.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

In theory Williams, Coleman, Randolph, Smith, Akot, and Luther are all capable 3 point shooters. We won't live and die by the 3 though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:In theory Williams, Coleman, Randolph, Smith, Akot, and Luther are all capable 3 point shooters. We won't live and die by the 3 though.
Hopefully we live and die on offense more by penetration than by the 3. We have some guys who can get to the rim and 3's are always better off the kick.

Hopefully our real bread and butter is D. If we are actually good next year, it is almost 100% linked to D, IMO.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Well they did have elite shooting. Their problem was they played a bunch of midgets and were terrible defensively. Teams give up a little rebounding to have better players on the court. It can even be an advantage on defense (us last year as an example of being big being a disadvantage) because you are faster and can switch actions stalling the other teams movement/passing.

Almost every NBA team plays small for parts of the game because you are generally playing against good players and bigs get exposed against good players (with the exception of super mobile bigs). In college it isn't at important because you aren't playing against players that can consistently take advantage with their skillset and decision making.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Well they did have elite shooting. Their problem was they played a bunch of midgets and were terrible defensively. Teams give up a little rebounding to have better players on the court. It can even be an advantage on defense (us last year as an example of being big being a disadvantage) because you are faster and can switch actions stalling the other teams movement/passing.

Almost every NBA team plays small for parts of the game because you are generally playing against good players and bigs get exposed against good players (with the exception of super mobile bigs). In college it isn't at important because you aren't playing against players that can consistently take advantage with their skillset and decision making.
The big thing is that postups are relatively inefficient compared to the focus on layups and 3's teams like the Warriors and Rockets use. I'll link a reddit discussion on how many NBA players are poor in the post, with about 0.9 ppp being the mean. Then another article spotlighting how far below postups fall.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7 ... or_the_11/" target="_blank

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... o-college/" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'd imagine that post-ups are especially inefficient in the college game due to the nature of the defensive rules, which allow zone defenses and specifically have no defensive three second rule to keep a team from packing the paint.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

BWill highlights from the Ball is Life game this past weekend.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Jordan Brown visiting this weekend!!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

STFU
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CatHoops wrote:Jordan Brown visiting this weekend!!
Wait, seriously??
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

CatHoops wrote:Jordan Brown visiting this weekend!!
Proof? tweet?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Tits or gtfo....errr I mean link or gtfo!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ChooChooCat wrote:Tits or gtfo....errr I mean link or gtfo!
Damn auto correct!!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can't find anything on JB visiting.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

SunnyAZ wrote:

The system has to match the personnel... I've been asking for the adjustment for years, and I'll believe it when I see it.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

They've been money so far
Just got word that Jordan Brown will be taking his final official visit to Arizona this weekend! He is also tentatively planning to announce his school on 5/15/18
http://playersprogramu.com/arizona-wild ... /#msg11172" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote:They've been money so far
Just got word that Jordan Brown will be taking his final official visit to Arizona this weekend! He is also tentatively planning to announce his school on 5/15/18
Please be right.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I wouldn't go that far, they've been 50/50 or so. Major props to them if they got this right.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Braun visited LSU today and Ole Miss on Friday. I imagine we'll also get a visit.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We could hypothetically take Braun and JB, yes? Don’t we have two spots left?
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Is Braun even good? I was listening to a UA podcast and they said there aren't really sure why we are even going after him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I wouldn't expect Arizona to put up a fight in regards to Braun.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:I wouldn't expect Arizona to put up a fight in regards to Braun.
Well, if JB goes elsewhere, Braun starts looking more appealing. Am I the only one who finds his name ironic given how scrawny he is? Lol.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Braun Senior Highlights:
http://www.hudl.com/v/296iBv

Dekker Senior Highlights:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Isn't that the remnants of Ace's old PGU?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
That is not how I had pictured you!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

YoDeFoe wrote:BWill highlights from the Ball is Life game this past weekend.
Wow, impressive. Some passes in the reel that I don't think PJC could ever make. Almost a shame we didnt have this kid and Ayton at the same time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
That is not how I had pictured you!
Pretty hot, huh?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

No need for a bra when you have a supportive belly like that.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

rgdeuce wrote:No need for a bra when you have a supportive belly like that.
Its actually called a Bro

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Man-ziere!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Is it just me or does that Bro cartoon look like Joe Arpaio?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion