let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: let's talk '18

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Can’t private schools let in whoever the hell they want?
Any school can let in any athlete they want, so long as they meet the minimum NCAA standard - basically a 2.3 GPA and a 900 SAT (out of 1600).

After that it's just a matter of your reputation - how far are you willing to bend for athletes. And that's where private schools gain their advantage... they don't publicly report those scores for their players (in an aggregated average to remain anonymous) like the public schools.

So while it's clear that Cal gives up nearly 2 points of GPA and 500 points of SAT score to basketball players, we have no clue what Duke is giving up. My suspicion is that anything goes for them.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
So while it's clear that Cal gives up nearly 2 points of GPA and 500 points of SAT score to basketball players, we have no clue what Duke is giving up. My suspicion is that anything goes for them.
Absolutely. But we have to keep in mind that we’re talking about a sport where one of the most elite teams/programs (UNC) engaged in one of the most heinous instances of academic corruption/dishonesty I’ve ever seen, and yet there they are: unpunished, rolling along, not even a slap on the wrist. So fretting over entrance academic requirements feels absurd when there’s a school out there creating fake classes to keep athletes eligible.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:It’s just interesting that while Wright racks up titles, K and Calipari are all in on their NY Yankees model: get as much talent as you can and hope for the best.

That recruiting class ranking database is terrific. It’s remarkable how few FF trips there’ve been among teams ranked consistently in the top 10.
And while the sports media loves to fawn over Coach K, he ultimately sold out. He won titles without Kentucky-style recruiting. What changed? Did Coach K's ego not like all the Calipari's press? Did Coach K decide to try to take the easy path to winning and simply stock up with 5-stars instead of player development?

I still find it very interesting that no one in the sports media questions how all of these 5-star players, many who are not known as being strong academics (there are exceptions), continue to qualify for Duke, perhaps one of the top ten academic institutions in the country. Coach K could have gotten Brandon Jennings into school.
Can’t private schools let in whoever the hell they want?

I imagine their board of regents have minimum requirements. You still have to make grades competing against real students. Which is true for many public schools too. Many if not most Div I schools allow the Athletic Departments to admit athletes outside of the normal admission process. I think only a couple of PAC schools require athletes to apply and compete against regular students.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

800 SAT gets you into Duke as an athlete on scholarship. 1120 for Stanford. Unless things suddenly changed.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:800 SAT gets you into Duke as an athlete on scholarship. 1120 for Stanford. Unless things suddenly changed.
those would be abysmal scores nowadays. SAT has been out of 2400 instead of 1600 for like 10 years now.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Most athletes take Mickey mouse classes and have a joke of a major. How many players are majoring in a science or business? Tarc was a real student athlete with a real major. Bob Elliott was an accounting major.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Minute Distribution:
PG: JC (22), BW (13), AB (5)
SG: BW (13), BR (20), DD (7)
SF: EA(20), DS (20)
PF: RL (24), EA (6), OT (10)
C: CJ (24), IL (16)

Total minutes:
JC (22), BW (26), AB (5)
BR (20), DS (20), DD (7)
EA(26), OT (10)
RL (24), IL (16)
CJ (24)

My guess/hopeful minute distribution.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That’s a good projection, Sunny. What’s so crazy about next season is how little we really know about what we’re getting. Numerous first year players and numerous 2nd/3rd year guys getting big minutes for the first time. Frontcourt is the biggest concern, clearly. If CJ and RL aren’t protecting the glass, we’re gonna struggle vs. teams with deeper, more athletic frontcourts. Hopefully a break-out star emerges this year and makes an immediate impact. We need 3 point shooting and shot creation.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

It’s funny: I do my best work by taking prior performance, adding a little qualitative context, and projecting out to future production.

I’ve got nothing to work with on this team. No clue. We’ve got limited sample sizes and totally new circumstances for each of these guys. Literally every single one.

So yeah: no insights from me. I’m running in hopes and feelings.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:It’s funny: I do my best work by taking prior performance, adding a little qualitative context, and projecting out to future production.

I’ve got nothing to work with on this team. No clue. We’ve got limited sample sizes and totally new circumstances for each of these guys. Literally every single one.

It’s both exciting and unnerving. Miller really has his work cut out.

But really, given the craziness and near-disaster scenarios of the past few months, I’m just happy to have a solid freshmen class, some good players returning and our coach getting back to business. If this team reaches the NCAA tourney, I’ll be ecstatic. Mainly because it means my friends and I go to Vegas, lol.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:It’s funny: I do my best work by taking prior performance, adding a little qualitative context, and projecting out to future production.

But really, given the craziness and near-disaster scenarios of the past few months, I’m just happy to have a solid freshmen class, some good players returning and our coach getting back to business. If this team reaches the NCAA tourney, I’ll be ecstatic. Mainly because it means my friends and I go to Vegas, lol.

Will be a steep hill to climb. The dumpster fire that is the PAC12 typically gets no more than 3 teams into the tourney. Right now, Arizona is looking to be in the 6-10 range.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

enfuego wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Will be a steep hill to climb. The dumpster fire that is the PAC12 typically gets no more than 3 teams into the tourney. Right now, Arizona is looking to be in the 6-10 range.
Why are you on here? Why waste your time going on an opponents message board (not even a main rival either) to be Debbie downer? I feel sorry for you. Honestly
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Unless I'm mistaken, the only non-AZ fans this board attracts are fans of Kansas and UCLA. It's weird because you'd think these teams have their own boards with discussion more focused on those actual teams. I wonder how many regulars on here post on non-AZ sites.

Anyway, I like AZ's chances to finish top three in the Pac. That may sound like a stretch, but Miller is still either the best or second best coach in the league.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Any news on Obiagu from FSU? If I had a choice on scholarships, that would be the top of my list.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: I like AZ's chances to finish top three in the Pac. That may sound like a stretch, but Miller is still either the best or second best coach in the league.
Here's a fun piece of trivia: Arizona has finished below fourth in the conference only four times since Lute Olson stepped onto campus.

1) His first season.
2) His championship season.
2) His last season.
3) The transition year before Miller.

That's it. Since 1983-84, we've finished above fourth 30 of 34 years. Sean Miller has never in his nine seasons finished lower than fourth.

Past is not prologue, but success is a habit. I like our chances.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Sat May 12, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Any news on Obiagu from FSU? If I had a choice on scholarships, that would be the top of my list.
Yes pls.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Any news on Obiagu from FSU? If I had a choice on scholarships, that would be the top of my list.
Yes pls.
Why? He can block shots great and all, but he's absolutely awful at every thing else.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Yes pls.
Why? He can block shots great and all, but he's absolutely awful at every thing else.
7 feet tall with a 7'6" wingspan and he can take a year to learn to play basketball.

Like I said, I'm a sucker for wingspan.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Yes pls.
Incredible defensive player. Would have 2 years of experience before he plays here. Would play with Jeter year 1 and be in a maybe starting position for the first time in his 4th year of college.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Yes pls.
7 feet tall with a 7'6" wingspan and he can take a year to learn to play basketball.

Like I said, I'm a sucker for wingspan.
Yeah that's cool that his arms are long, but when he's physically incapable of holding onto a ball at any point what good is that wingspan outside of blocking shots? Maybe he can develop, but at the moment he makes Zeus look like a major league catcher with how bad his hands are. I'll pass ten times over. Theres no upside here for Arizona. Go balls out for Christian Koloko in 2019.
prh

Post by prh »

I'd be all for Obiago if we didn't expect recruiting to recover. However, we've already seen it start coming back. And after seeing him a few times, I'm with Choo, I can't handle his general lack of anything other than defensive ability. Again, if we were going to be stuck with what things looked like a month ago, then yeah I'd take him. But I don't foresee us having space/time for him in a couple years when he'd be eligible.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:I'd be all for Obiago if we didn't expect recruiting to recover. However, we've already seen it start coming back. And after seeing him a few times, I'm with Choo, I can't handle his general lack of anything other than defensive ability. Again, if we were going to be stuck with what things looked like a month ago, then yeah I'd take him. But I don't foresee us having space/time for him in a couple years when he'd be eligible.
It's a small sample size, but his Block % was better than Mo Bamba. You can make a case he was the best shotblocker in CBB last year. His rebounding rate was good for his size.

I would 100% take a chance on an elite defender and good rebounder learning offense enough to not be a liability. We aren't getting a defender that quality in the next class.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

prh wrote:I'd be all for Obiago if we didn't expect recruiting to recover. However, we've already seen it start coming back. And after seeing him a few times, I'm with Choo, I can't handle his general lack of anything other than defensive ability. Again, if we were going to be stuck with what things looked like a month ago, then yeah I'd take him. But I don't foresee us having space/time for him in a couple years when he'd be eligible.
How can you possibly make that assumption??

For all we know Book is going to get up on the witness stand and claim Miller and the UA knew all about the bags of money.

The NCAA may decide to clobber the schools who had assistants charged by the FBI.

Until we are out of the FBI cloud I think it would be a good idea to keep the cupboard stocked...........Obiago would be a nice insurance policy if recruiting goes off a cliff next year due to NCAA sanctions.
prh

Post by prh »

dmjcat wrote:
How can you possibly make that assumption??

For all we know Book is going to get up on the witness stand and claim Miller and the UA knew all about the bags of money.

The NCAA may decide to clobber the schools who had assistants charged by the FBI.

Until we are out of the FBI cloud I think it would be a good idea to keep the cupboard stocked...........Obiago would be a nice insurance policy if recruiting goes off a cliff next year due to NCAA sanctions.
Because I've witnessed what Sean has done the last month. Recruiting is clearly improving. And if the doomsday scenario you're hoping for comes true, we'll have bigger things to worry about than having Obiago on the roster.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Guys there is no doomsday scenario

NONE

Sean Miller and Arizona are clear by the FBI

NCAA isn’t going to do shit
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:Guys there is no doomsday scenario

NONE

You're literally pointing this out to a total of 2 posters here.
prh

Post by prh »

NONE

You sir are correct but there are a few people who keep obnoxiously pushing for its existence and likelihood.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

prh wrote:

NONE

You sir are correct but there are a few people who keep obnoxiously pushing for its existence and likelihood.
We should self-sanction and give ourselves the death penalty. It’s the only way to be sure the NCAA doesn’t give us the death penalty.

Wait, that doesn’t add up.....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

NONE

I know just those two posters frustrate me so much as it’s so obvious nothing bad is going to happen to us

NCAA let Penn State off sanctions early...yet even though our school was named the victim in an FBI investigation and we fired the said coach in question we are going to get major sanctions...just doesn’t add up at all
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I understand nico is a hard Arizona lean once he reclassifies to 2019. How much should we worry about the Duke offer he just picked up?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

3goggles wrote:I understand nico is a hard Arizona lean once he reclassifies to 2019. How much should we worry about the Duke offer he just picked up?
Pretty sure we should worry. I can't remember the last time a guy picked us over Duke. Did AG or SJ have offers from Duke?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

ChooChooCat wrote:

NONE

Yay!!!

Who is the other doomsdayer?

"The whole point of the doomsday machine.... Is lost.... if you KEEP IT A SECRET, why didn't you tell the world, eh?"
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oregon on fire. Okoro (PF, ‘19) just committed. He could reclassify and enroll this year.

Think the Ducks are the clear Pac faves this year.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The Ducks can suck my duck.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:The Ducks can suck my duck.
So far, they're the greatest beneficiaries of the Book scandal and fallout. AZ has more or less owned the Pac the past five years, but Oregon's been steadily rising. Altman is a witch in training.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Oregon on fire. Okoro (PF, ‘19) just committed. He could reclassify and enroll this year.

I welcome competition. Better to have legit teams in the Pac than a bunch of teams that drag our RPI down.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Oregon on fire. Okoro (PF, ‘19) just committed. He could reclassify and enroll this year.

I welcome competition. Better to have legit teams in the Pac than a bunch of teams that drag our RPI down.

Agreed. I'd much rather get third in the West Coast ACC than first in a quasi-AAC.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Agreed. I'd much rather get third in the West Coast ACC than first in a quasi-AAC.
I'm all for the Pac12 getting better, but I disagree with this statement for several reasons. I would always rather win in a worse conference than 2nd/3rd in a Big 12 type (no where even close to ACC yet). Especially since there are only 5-ish programs fighting for West Coast recruits (UofA, USC, UCLA, Oregon and Gonzaga). Have to stay a step ahead of those teams.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

USC is also dealing with the FBI Investigation, yet they just got a five-star commit for '19. Perhaps the added ESPN story has soiled AZ a bit more than the others.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

well no one else had a full college game day devoted to them. No doubt that smear campaign took some wind out of our sails. Can't wait till Miller rises and gets interviewed by some of those tools. If it is live our fans will make a guy like Larry Scott look like a favorite alum compared to how we will reign down boo's on some of those fools
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:well no one else had a full college game day devoted to them. No doubt that smear campaign took some wind out of our sails. Can't wait till Miller rises and gets interviewed by some of those tools. If it is live our fans will make a guy like Larry Scott look like a favorite alum compared to how we will reign down boo's on some of those fools
If College Game day ever comes to Tucson again for basketball, that has to be the first major Beardownwildcats.com get together.

I just doubt it ever happens as I am not sure if Jay Bilas makes it out alive of McKale. The boos would be amazing.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

midnightx wrote:USC is also dealing with the FBI Investigation, yet they just got a five-star commit for '19. Perhaps the added ESPN story has soiled AZ a bit more than the others.
The fun part is that they had a player held out all year, had a recruit named, AND they had two more players (Metu and Boatwright) named in the court document revealed in the Yahoo follow-up report...

Which promptly got buried by the "I heard someone heard Miller said" ESPN story.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

midnightx wrote:USC is also dealing with the FBI Investigation, yet they just got a five-star commit for '19. Perhaps the added ESPN story has soiled AZ a bit more than the others.
USC is not dealing with any FBI Investigation. USC is the Victim just like Arizona is per the FBI report. A Former USC assistant coach was arrested by the FBI and then fired by USC.

USC found out someone was doing something illegal and they fired the coach for it just like Arizona did.

And about two weeks ago Arizona added a 5 star commit for 2018 so think we are doing just fine.

I am telling everyone, trust me when I say we are fine from a legal perspective. And NCAA is not going to do anything major at all.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'm all for the Pac12 getting better, but I disagree with this statement for several reasons. I would always rather win in a worse conference than 2nd/3rd in a Big 12 type (no where even close to ACC yet). Especially since there are only 5-ish programs fighting for West Coast recruits (UofA, USC, UCLA, Oregon and Gonzaga). Have to stay a step ahead of those teams.
Recruiting is national, and national prestige matters to recruits. Having a conference that is really a power conference would help us with that. Right now, the Pac is not a prestige conference. That hurts us.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Pretty sure we should worry. I can't remember the last time a guy picked us over Duke. Did AG or SJ have offers from Duke?
Only "2" players over the last 16 seasons

&

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Newportcat wrote:
USC is not dealing with any FBI Investigation. USC is the Victim just like Arizona is per the FBI report. A Former USC assistant coach was arrested by the FBI and then fired by USC.

USC found out someone was doing something illegal and they fired the coach for it just like Arizona did.

And about two weeks ago Arizona added a 5 star commit for 2018 so think we are doing just fine.

I am telling everyone, trust me when I say we are fine from a legal perspective. And NCAA is not going to do anything major at all.
I never said USC or Arizona was being investigated. They are dealing with the investigation, i.e. they had assistant coaches who were named, arrested and ultimately fired. As such, both programs are dealing with the fall-out, and both could potentially be targets of NCAA investigations.

AZ fans should be able to get a sense of how damaged recruiting will be moving forward as the 2019 class materializes. Yes, receiving a re-commit from Williams was very good, and bringing in a quality 4-Star guard was another impressive acquisition after such a drama-filled 2018 recruiting year, but is AZ legitimately in the lead or in a competitive position with any major 2019 prospects?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

I never said USC or Arizona was being investigated. They are dealing with the investigation, i.e. they had assistant coaches who were named, arrested and ultimately fired. As such, both programs are dealing with the fall-out, and both could potentially be targets of NCAA investigations.

AZ fans should be able to get a sense of how damaged recruiting will be moving forward as the 2019 class materializes. Yes, receiving a re-commit from Williams was very good, and bringing in a quality 4-Star guard was another impressive acquisition after such a drama-filled 2018 recruiting year, but is AZ legitimately in the lead or in a competitive position with any major 2019 prospects?
At least two 5 stars yes, yes they are.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:At least two 5 stars yes, yes they are.
Nico and...?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Nico and...?
Josh Green.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Nico and...?
Josh Green.
Green has offers from almost every elite program. Not Villanova, though. Wright is quietly putting together his next sneaky-good roster, while the rest of these programs stalk Josh Green.

Sorta think Nico is the more important of these two, but what do I know?