Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: let's talk '18

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
Nice. But I was told we need multiple grad transfers to field a team and this does nothing for that
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Nice. But I was told we need multiple grad transfers to field a team and this does nothing for that
Lol give it a bit. Taking an educated guess here that two of next year's starters will be grad transfers.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

This is the one I really wanted. I think he's gonna be a stud in time
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

When it comes to recruiting Miller is a Witch. No doubt anymore about that. I really like this commit
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sweet
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Yes. Has the potential to be what Akot was supposed to be. Tho I still really like Akot.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Is he better than Jordan Mayes?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:
If I do my math right I believe we still have 4 open spots on the roster.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I believe 5.

Lose Trier, Rawle, Ayton, Pjc, Dusan, pinder, and the red head = 7

Gain Omar and DD = 2

We are obviously gonna get a post 4/5 and a pg, then probably 2 more as i don’t see us using all 13 ships anyway. Plus it leaves us an out if we take a ship away as “sanctions”
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Looks like similarly ranked to Tevian Jones who was likely coming here before the ESPN thing happened.
Last edited by NYCat on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Why would we want grad transfers over multi year players? Saving 1 year over addressing the long term program is really dumb
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Lol give it a bit. Taking an educated guess here that two of next year's starters will be grad transfers.
Luther and...?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Why would we want grad transfers over multi year players? Saving 1 year over addressing the long term program is really dumb
Right now there aren't a lot of good high schoolers available. A grad transfer allows us to be better next year while we recruit for '19. The one year nature of it means you just cycle in the next class.

Frankly, Williams and Brown are the only two guys out there worth forgoing a grad transfer for. Beyond those guys, it's developmental guys who won't see much if any time in 18-19.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Luther and...?
Justin Coleman (Samford) according to Choo's previous posts. Maybe Zach Johnson (FGCU) too who's visiting later this month.

Then Lukas Kisunas could always come in also as a regular recruit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Why would we want grad transfers over multi year players? Saving 1 year over addressing the long term program is really dumb
Unless you trust Alex Barcello as our point guard next year there's absolutely no HS point guard available that's worth going for outside of Brandon Williams and my magic 8 ball says "outlook does not look good." The same goes for Ira Lee starting at the 4 next year as there's no HS 4 man worth pursuing that we can land (Jordan Brown isn't coming here) that would start. Miller has built for the future with his last two commits with two guys he believes will turn out very good in the end. He has to build for next year by filling our biggest holes in a starting point guard and starting power forward. Miller still intends to win as much as possible next year, he's not going to do much of that with Alex Barcello & Ira Lee starting next season.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PennZona20 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I believe 5.

Lose Trier, Rawle, Ayton, Pjc, Dusan, pinder, and the red head = 7

Gain Omar and DD = 2

We are obviously gonna get a post 4/5 and a pg, then probably 2 more as i don’t see us using all 13 ships anyway. Plus it leaves us an out if we take a ship away as “sanctions”
For some reason I was thinking 12 players. Carry on.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Miller is a great recruiter, regardless of Book. Let's get BW back on board and go from there.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Luther and...?
Justin Coleman (Samford) according to Choo's previous posts. Maybe Zach Johnson (FGCU) too who's visiting later this month.

Then Lukas Kisunas could always come in also as a regular recruit.
The way I see this class playing out:

Coleman and/or Johnson, outside shot at landing both, but I think it's a one or the other deal and Coleman is the more sure thing for us
Doutrive
Thielemans
Luther
Kisunas
Chance at a traditional transfer
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Unless you trust Alex Barcello as our point guard next year there's absolutely no HS point guard available that's worth going for outside of Brandon Williams and my magic 8 ball says "outlook does not look good." The same goes for Ira Lee starting at the 4 next year as there's no HS 4 man worth pursuing that we can land (Jordan Brown isn't coming here) that would start. Miller has built for the future with his last two commits with two guys he believes will turn out very good in the end. He has to build for next year by filling our biggest holes in a starting point guard and starting power forward. Miller still intends to win as much as possible next year, he's not going to do much of that with Alex Barcello & Ira Lee starting next season.
I’m not saying we shouldn’t look at grad transfers I’m just glad we are also getting and going after multi year players
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I’m not saying we shouldn’t look at grad transfers I’m just glad we are also getting and going after multi year players
This will be an effective class addressing the present and the future.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Luther is pretty important for us to get. Allows us to play big and not ruin our spacing. Otherwise I fell like we are gonna get a lot of Ira Lee at PF minutes and that would not be great.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Xavier Johnson (not that one) decomitted from Nebraska and was granted his release. Wonder if we’ll kick those tires. Combo guard who may have Kadeem Allen like defensive potential.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

enfuego wrote:Supposedly Miller is on the road recruiting this phenom. Apparently an offer is right around the corner.

Looke like Gene Edgerson....the one that helped knock off Kansas when they were loaded in 1997.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:
When I look at this kid all I see is Matisse thybulle from Washington!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Doutrive
Thielemans
Luther
Kisunas
So if this is how it ends up, Choo, what’s your best guess at a starting 5?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Thielemans
Luther
Kisunas
Coleman/Johnson
Randolph
Akot
Luther
Jeter
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is the feeling on Lee just that he’s not good enough to start for a high-level D-1 team? Or is it just that he’d be lower on the depth chart if things shake out how we’re anticipating?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is the feeling on Lee just that he’s not good enough to start for a high-level D-1 team? Or is it just that he’d be lower on the depth chart if things shake out how we’re anticipating?

I think he's going to be fine. Love his motor. He just needs to work on his jumper and defense. He'll be a major part of the rotation next year after already spending a year in the system.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is the feeling on Lee just that he’s not good enough to start for a high-level D-1 team? Or is it just that he’d be lower on the depth chart if things shake out how we’re anticipating?
I think he would be a solid backup center
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He's a 4 year player going into year 2. There are unknowns.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I must like Barcello and Lee better than most here. The sophomore leap often surprises. I expect the two can make a solid 7 and 8 in a rotation if given the opportunity. I do agree that Lee as a starting 4 and Barcello as a starting PG are less than ideal situations though.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RaisingArizona wrote:I must like Barcello and Lee better than most here. The sophomore leap often surprises. I expect the two can make a solid 7 and 8 in a rotation if given the opportunity. I do agree that Lee as a starting 4 and Barcello as a starting PG are less than ideal situations though.
I’m very high on both but I’ll continue to caveat: I’m perpetually overly optimistic about this program.

I don’t expect anything out of the coming season, so if those two start and grow it’s fine by me.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Barcello in particular looked intimidated by the incumbents. He also had a lot going on that will hopefully start to resolve or at least become more normal in his 2nd year. Being a freshman is always hard if you are not a top level elite. Being a freshman in a program with all the tumult, and a coach starting to press with a team not coming together...his opportunity was more limited than it would be otherwise. And he had other stuff going on (nothing about him directly) that was tough.

A perfect storm for a kid who may or may not be at this level. I think he is, but proof is on the court. If we don't see it this year, we may not see it at all.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Mid-major transfer tracker: Where will our small school superstars end up?
The transfer epidemic is in full-swing. Here are all of your transfer updates in one place.

Zach Johnson (Florida Gulf Coast): There’s not more you can ask for in a grad transfer. Johnson is so good that he may even forgo his senior year in college for the NBA. But if he does stay, the team that snatches him is getting a heck of a talent. Last year, he averaged 16.2 points per game and shot 47% from FG range and 39% from three. If you’re unfamiliar with his name, tune on the wild game that was last year’s A-SUN final. He had 37 points in 35 minutes and hit nine threes.

Interest from: Louisville, South Carolina, Arizona, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Miami, VCU, Gonzaga, Dayton, Saint Louis, Xavier

Prediction: Arizona

Justin Coleman (Samford): Simply put, Coleman is an assist machine. Last year he was 13th in the category nationally and that aspect alone makes him a hot commodity in the transfer game. Coleman is highly regarded in scoring and defensive capability as well, averaging 13.5 points per game while shooting nearly 44% from the field.

Interest: Texas, Saint Louis, UAB, Texas Southern, Arizona, Ohio State, SMU

Prediction: Arizona

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/4/ ... on-calixte
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Excuse my stupidity, but are both of these guys eligible to play this next year?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:Excuse my stupidity, but are both of these guys eligible to play this next year?
AFAIK grad transfers can play right away.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Thielemans
Luther
Kisunas
Coleman/Johnson
Randolph
Akot
Luther
Jeter
Going to be hilarious when Miller starts Dylan Smith because he trusts him more with 3 years in his system.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Excited to see Miller land those two kids. Fingers crossed for those grad transfers 97 posted.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Why are we going after Zach Johnson? He's got a 1.1 A:TO in the half court. As a pick and roll ball handler, he produces 0.73ppp (good for 44th percentile... not good).

He's not a PG and we've got about a million shooting guards.

Please no.

Edit: If you think it's his defense, he ranks in the 36th percentile in man to man defense. For reference, Trier ranked in the 64th percentile last season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Why are we going after Zach Johnson? He's got a 1.1 A:TO in the half court. As a pick and roll ball handler, he produces 0.73ppp (good for 44th percentile... not good).

Please no.

Edit: If you think it's his defense, he ranks in the 36th percentile in man to man defense. For reference, Trier ranked in the 64th percentile last season.
Beggars can't be choosers. Ultimately I think he's plan C at point guard for us next year, but you've gotta plan that far out until you have something in stone. I'd be a supporter of having both Coleman and Johnson as our backcourt with Johnson at the 2, but I'm not sure about landing both of them regardless of the prediction in that link 97 provided. If Johnson is our PG next year though that's going to be rough and at best a carbon copy of the Mark Lyons year. Having Johnson as our 2 would surely piss off younger guys though of course.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I would take a year of Justin Coleman.

His 2.4 A:TO is excellent, he's a very good pick and roll ball handler and he's a good spot up shooter with an effective no dribble jumper (with range).

The bad of it though: he's not very good at scoring the ball beyond spot up shooting and he's an atrociously bad defender, ranking in the bottom 10% of points allowed per possession.

He's a homeless man's PJC (who ranked in the 49th percentile on defense and had a similar offensive profile).

In all honesty... I'd rather have Barcello take 33min/g and spend the year learning on the fly. We're not fighting for a banner this season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: We're not fighting for a banner this season.
Tell that to Miller.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Beggars can't be choosers. Ultimately I think he's plan C at point guard for us next year, but you've gotta plan that far out until you have something in stone. I'd be a supporter of having both Coleman and Johnson as our backcourt with Johnson at the 2, but I'm not sure about landing both of them regardless of the prediction in that link 97 provided. If Johnson is our PG next year though that's going to be rough and at best a carbon copy of the Mark Lyons year. Having Johnson as our 2 would surely piss off younger guys though of course.
I suppose that's my gripe then - why take these two guys for a year? It'll reduce the development of the players that are already on the team and we'll get... what? Four more wins on the season? 4th instead of 6th in the Pac-12?

That's what we're rolling the dice on?

I'll use this as my last post to reiterate that I'd prefer to see our guys on the team develop rather than bring in hired guns for a forgettable season.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Tell that to Miller.
Too competitive for his own good, sometimes.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

YoDeFoe wrote:Why are we going after Zach Johnson? He's got a 1.1 A:TO in the half court. As a pick and roll ball handler, he produces 0.73ppp (good for 44th percentile... not good).

Please no.

We just need bodies at this point, and an apparent NBA-level (or close) talent makes it very easy to ignore some of the possible concerns with him. Next year's team needs everything, so I will take a guy who can put the ball in the cup and shoot 47% from the floor and 39% from deep any day.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Tell that to Miller.
Too competitive for his own good, sometimes.
The man is on thin ice. A non-NCAA tourney year isn't going to help his cause.

I agree with your other post though. I don't foresee Arizona taking both of those guys.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

YoDeFoe wrote:I would take a year of Justin Coleman.

His 2.4 A:TO is excellent, he's a very good pick and roll ball handler and he's a good spot up shooter with an effective no dribble jumper (with range).

The bad of it though: he's not very good at scoring the ball beyond spot up shooting and he's an atrociously bad defender, ranking in the bottom 10% of points allowed per possession.

He's a homeless man's PJC (who ranked in the 49th percentile on defense and had a similar offensive profile).

In all honesty... I'd rather have Barcello take 33min/g and spend the year learning on the fly. We're not fighting for a banner this season.
where do you get the defensive stats from?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SunnyAZ wrote: where do you get the defensive stats from?
Synergy Sports - I'm paying for a monthly subscription because I have a problem.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Please no.

We need guys who can put the ball in the basket. From what ive heard, thats what he can do.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier