Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: let's talk '18

Post by Beachcat97 »

Always preferred Nico’s to Betos.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Beachcat97 wrote:Always preferred Nico’s to Betos.
Same, helped that I lived like 2 blocks from the one that was on fort Lowell and Campbell when it still existed
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

"You want to battle me just say so.
Give up the dollars and the pesos
cause I'll battle you in front of Los Betos."
- local rap group circa 1999
Mike Luke's burner account.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:C'mon guys, if the fat girl is at Betos at 2AM, she's there for a reason. Grab her, the Carne Asade plate that makes 2 burritos and take the whole hot mess back to your place. Claim it all!
Our new assistant coach, ladies and gentlemen.
I was told to not point it out, but yep. :lol:
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Same, helped that I lived like 2 blocks from the one that was on fort Lowell and Campbell when it still existed
Nico's is gone???? Depressing

I was in the drive through late night at Los Betos off Grant I believe and two guys started shooting at each other about 40 feet away from my car...true story
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

I was in the drive through late night at Los Betos off Grant I believe and two guys started shooting at each other about 40 feet away from my car...true story

Lots of other Nico's in town.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Well that location on the NW corner of ft Lowell send Campbell is. Was torn down probably 8 years ago now.

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think it is just closer to Glenn now.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Blacklidge and Campbell
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:I’ll gladly take him, but this self-fellating (or with partners as Sunny speculates) West Coast tour has stripped my love for Williams. I don’t like it when five star recruits drag it out, I certainly don’t like it when four stars do it worse.

He’s taking advantage. The selfishness and self aggrandizing doesn’t speak well to hopes that he’s a day one leader of men.

A commitment and good play cures all, of course.
I don't know man, he's 18. I don't set the bar really high at that age. Teenagers generally tend to be more self focused and enjoy attention.

The type of selfishness where you aren't ready to work is what bothers me.
Harsh, Spiff. I was only like five minutes late to the office this morning.
Are you accepting money for this too? You're totally hosed with the NCAA if so.

I show my commitment to work by only posting from the toilet. I like to think I simultaneously drop pearls of wisdom and fudge dragons.
I have been doing this also, now my wife wants me to see the doctor because I take too long on the throne. I tell her it runs in the family. My dad was a 20 minute guy too.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote:Blacklidge and Campbell
What?! That’s crazy. Literally used to live right there. Apartment complex was called Scotia Club. Think they converted to condos a while back.

Sorry to derail this thread. Come on, BW!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
So did I. When there was still a Taco Bell there...there was Nico's and a Taco Bell within the same parking lot. I lived on Ft Lowell and Mountain.

Nico's won. I think the Taco Bell building is still there, though, as a title loan joint?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

yeah it hasn't been a taco bell since i have lived here though...has always been a title loan place (since 2005).

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:yeah it hasn't been a taco bell since i have lived here though...has always been a title loan place (since 2005).
any other way you want to tell me I am old?

Yeah...I left in 1995. I think Nico's held on for a few years, but gone well by 2005.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Justin Coleman visiting next week...gotta be the grad transfer we have the best chance with, right?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So Luther committed? Per scheer
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Beachcat97 wrote:
What?! That’s crazy. Literally used to live right there. Apartment complex was called Scotia Club. Think they converted to condos a while back.

This is my "Go To" quick meal when I don't want to cook, #10 Chicken enchiladas, no lettuce and add a shredded beef taco...$13.00 and more than I can eat...

Driving in Tucson is driving me crazy, I only live 5 minutes from there but hate the drive down Glenn...I swear the city of Tucson is determined to make it impossible to drive any fucking place in this town, road construction every damn corner.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

3goggles wrote:So Luther committed? Per scheer
Saw that, he was supposed to be their biggest returning player, does he sit a year?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Saw that, he was supposed to be their biggest returning player, does he sit a year?
The 247 article says he should get a hardship waiver that makes him eligible immediately

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Boom....Luther is a big get, and should provide much needed leadership on the inside. Add one more graduate transfer at Guard and we should be in business to contend for the PAC next year
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Need a pg at minimum, would be nice to get another 2 players though.

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Coleman visiting next Wednesday
Johnson & Kisunas this weekend
Doutrieve
Thielemans
Luther

Coleman and/or Johnson
Kisunas
And of course Williams
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Hopefully Lee is the backup center and Omar/Akot split time at SF/backup PF.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

This is my "Go To" quick meal when I don't want to cook, #10 Chicken enchiladas, no lettuce and add a shredded beef taco...$13.00 and more than I can eat...

Driving in Tucson is driving me crazy, I only live 5 minutes from there but hate the drive down Glenn...I swear the city of Tucson is determined to make it impossible to drive any fucking place in this town, road construction every damn corner.
Not to derail the thread even more but I had to comment on the damn construction. Traveling from NW to Eastside to work, I've changed my route 3 times in the past 3 months because of construction. The last change I just made a few weeks ago now has construction too that started today. So damn frustrating.

Anyway, these seem like solid gets. Obviously not what we've come accustomed to, but somewhat of humble pie considering what has happened the past 9 months or so. Just when I thought we'd have a new coach and have to recruit out of the rec league for next year. Hopefully we can win BW back and add some decent role players.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NYCat wrote:Coleman visiting next Wednesday
Johnson & Kisunas this weekend
Doutrieve
Thielemans
Luther

Coleman and/or Johnson
Kisunas
And of course Williams
Things are looking up!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I have to think that this helps get Williams back in the fold, knowing there will in fact be an entire team around him

Wishful thinking?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Alieberman wrote:I have to think that this helps get Williams back in the fold, knowing there will in fact be an entire team around him

Wishful thinking?
Is Williams supposed to be a one and done? Anyone have any insight/knowledge on that?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Two-year guy.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Sweet! How many years of eligibility does Luther have?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Sweet! How many years of eligibility does Luther have?
Luther has one year of eligibility left and can play immediately (assuming he gets a hardship waiver).

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ting-visit" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Any know how good Luther is?
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Newportcat wrote:Any know how good Luther is?
well he can shoot and rebound, those things generally translate even to the highest level (NBA).
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I went back and watched Pitt play vs. West Virginia this past season in order to get a feel for what Luther can bring to the table and how he plays. This is a bit of a limited scouting report, but I thought this provided the best insight into what he might look like against good athletes, a quality defense, and multiple schemes.

WVU used Luther to help combat WVU's full-court pressure. He was a big part of the press break, even bringing the ball up the floor multiple times.

Looks decent with the ball in his hands. Comfortable initiating, albeit not creating off the bounce. Has good vision and looks to be a willing passer, keeps continuity.

Doesn’t have a strong base, not quick laterally, but will stay engaged and play with effort. Not physical or strong. Plays with a bit of finesse and fundamentals.

Solid looking jumper, decent release, ok footwork.

Hands don’t look great. Not going to be a threat as a dive man.

Active defensively on the help side, in the correct position, rotating early to get there. However, dont see him playing C unless by necessity. Hes not stopping anyone at the rim, hes going to have to 3/4 against big guys in the post, and doubt he can hold his ground. Looks a bit more fluid on the perimeter, but think hes going to have ups and downs defensively. Again, good news is he will defend with effort and can diagnose where to be/what to do help side.

Pitt ran a form of drop coverage against high ball screens. Meaning, he would drop under his man setting the screen until the guard was able to get over the screen and cut off penetration. He can hedge, but doesn’t have great lateral quickness or athleticism to stick with guards. Our guards will need to get around the screens immediately so he can slide him back to his man before he loses position. However, did a good job talking, and calling out the ball screen coverages for his guards.

Doesn’t sit down in a stance defensively, plays upright and a bit rigid. However, he looks for his man when the shot goes up and puts a body on them.

Adds an element we don’t have from our bigs, as he can play on the perimeter, hit some outside shots, understands his role, plays to his strengths, stays engaged, knows where to be and what to do. Looks like he has a good basketball IQ, as he knows when the fill and replace on the perimeter, how to keep spacing. His passing and cross court skips will be well received. He will fill that role of the high post passer against zones.

Overall, I think he is a solid fit. Again, he provides the shooting and passing we dont have from a true big. He will have issues defensively, but not as bad as some of the defense we have seen the past few years. Although that isnt saying much. Hes a good pick up, someone I bet Miller will trust, will know his role, will be a good teammate, has a good bball IQ, and will be a solid player at a position of need.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Sean probably had a better than average book on Luther as he was recruited by brother Archie back in 2013 when Dayton offered him a scholarship out of high school.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I like the athleticism of Johnson out of FGCU.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I've heard he's excellent at nailing things to doors.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
I went back and watched Pitt play vs. West Virginia this past season in order to get a feel for what Luther can bring to the table and how he plays. This is a bit of a limited scouting report, but I thought this provided the best insight into what he might look like against good athletes, a quality defense, and multiple schemes.

WVU used Luther to help combat WVU's full-court pressure. He was a big part of the press break, even bringing the ball up the floor multiple times.

Looks decent with the ball in his hands. Comfortable initiating, albeit not creating off the bounce. Has good vision and looks to be a willing passer, keeps continuity.

Doesn’t have a strong base, not quick laterally, but will stay engaged and play with effort. Not physical or strong. Plays with a bit of finesse and fundamentals.

Active defensively on the help side, in the correct position, rotating early to get there. However, dont see him playing C unless by necessity. Hes not stopping anyone at the rim, hes going to have to 3/4 against big guys in the post, and doubt he can hold his ground. Looks a bit more fluid on the perimeter, but think hes going to have ups and downs defensively. Again, good news is he will defend with effort and can diagnose where to be/what to do help side.

Pitt ran a form of drop coverage against high ball screens. Meaning, he would drop under his man setting the screen until the guard was able to get over the screen and cut off penetration. He can hedge, but doesn’t have great lateral quickness or athleticism to stick with guards. Our guards will need to get around the screens immediately so he can slide him back to his man before he loses position. However, did a good job talking, and calling out the ball screen coverages for his guards.

Doesn’t sit down in a stance defensively, plays upright and a bit rigid. However, he looks for his man when the shot goes up and puts a body on them.

Adds an element we don’t have from our bigs, as he can play on the perimeter, hit some outside shots, understands his role, plays to his strengths, stays engaged, knows where to be and what to do. Looks like he has a good basketball IQ, as he knows when the fill and replace on the perimeter, how to keep spacing. His passing and cross court skips will be well received. He will fill that role of the high post passer against zones.

Overall, I think he is a solid fit. Again, he provides the shooting and passing we dont have from a true big. He will have issues defensively, but not as bad as some of the defense we have seen the past few years. Although that isnt saying much. Hes a good pick up, someone I bet Miller will trust, will know his role, will be a good teammate, has a good bball IQ, and will be a solid player at a position of need.
Good breakdown. The first thing I like is double figure rebounds. I don't care how bad Pitt sucked, you have to work to put up double figure rebounds unless you're a freak like Ayton.

On D, if he can just execute fundamentals, that would be big. He has to be faster than Dusan, so we get an upgrade almost by default there as long as he understands concepts. Alongside Jeter, I think we could actually get better in post D this year.

If we need an athlete, we can play Lee more. Lee, for his flaws, can hedge hard as hell. He just needs to get better at knowing when and how. I am optimistic about the post rotation. We can even slide up Akot if needed to inject athleticism. Luther is a guy who is a legit rotation player at minimum, and we needed that badly in the post.

Hell, for one year, he's probably better than Shareef would have been as a frosh.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm a bit worried about his durability.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Good breakdown. The first thing I like is double figure rebounds. I don't care how bad Pitt sucked, you have to work to put up double figure rebounds unless you're a freak like Ayton.
I hope he can replicate that, but I have some concerns. Dont know what his positional split break down looks like, but he only played the 5 against WVU. To me, I dont think hes a guy who rebounds outside of his position. He isnt long, athletic, or strong. Looks more like a opportunistic rebounder who will try to win by putting his body on someone to shield them from attacking the glass.

Agree with you on the rest.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Good breakdown. The first thing I like is double figure rebounds. I don't care how bad Pitt sucked, you have to work to put up double figure rebounds unless you're a freak like Ayton.
I hope he can replicate that, but I have some concerns. Dont know what his positional split break down looks like, but he only played the 5 against WVU. To me, I dont think hes a guy who rebounds outside of his position. He isnt long, athletic, or strong. Looks more like a opportunistic rebounder who will try to win by putting his body on someone to shield them from attacking the glass.

Agree with you on the rest.
Yeah, but even 8 rpg in starter minutes is acceptable for the 4. With Akot and Randolpb, I hope we can gang rebound a bit because they're both longer and more athletic than Zo and Rawle.

We did well with Zeus being that same sort of rebounder who locked his man down but wouldn't get many outside his area. I worried about Lee being forced into a starting role because his fundamentals and IQ are big question marks. I feel much better having a solid, if unspectacular, main option. If Lee develops a lot, hey, be can be that Rodman type who's running things down. Luther is a steadying influence, which is a lot of what we need.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Spiff, was that an actual 95 Theses reference? Man, the places this thread has gone. Lol.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Spiff, was that an actual 95 Theses reference? Man, the places this thread has gone. Lol.
Once upon a time, my friend told me "when you get the chance to make a Martin Luther joke, you've got to take it."

I've always remembered that.

That is actually a true story, FWIW.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TucsonClip wrote:

So, he’s a lot like Ryan Anderson. I’m good with that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Thanks for your analyses fellas. Was pretty happy about the Luther news doing the best I could to gauge him only on the numbers, but it's even better to hear about his head and expected effort. Really grown to appreciate guys like that given some of the issues we have had the last several years.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:
So, he’s a lot like Ryan Anderson. I’m good with that.
Anderson drove me freaking crazy. Having to watch him and Ristic defend took years off my life.

Anderson is definitely more physical and a better rebounder, could score in the paint Luther is more finesse, better shooter, more mobile, better passer, gives effort on D.

I think he fits in pretty well, and probably has an overall type impact more like Anderson and less like Tollefson. We need bigs, and hes a competent one who I think Miller will trust.

-Shane Battier
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Chicat wrote:So, he’s a lot like Ryan Anderson. I’m good with that.
Which one?

Ryan Anderson, California -> Houston Rockets
or
Ryan Anderson, BC -> Arizona -> s.Oliver Würzburg
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichardCranium wrote:
Chicat wrote:So, he’s a lot like Ryan Anderson. I’m good with that.
Which one?

Ryan Anderson, California -> Houston Rockets
or
Ryan Anderson, BC -> Arizona -> s.Oliver Würzburg
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:
:lol: I lived there a year as well. Tedy Bruschi did too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Ya know, for being a couple miles off campus, that place sorta raged. I’ve got more than a few “Scoash” stories. I saw more people living in that place fail out of school...it was bad.

In other news, now let’s get a PG. Is anyone else concerned that the Samford guy is only 5’10? That’s Parkeresque.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Ya know, for being a couple miles off campus, that place sorta raged. I’ve got more than a few “Scoash” stories. I saw more people living in that place fail out of school...it was bad.

In other news, now let’s get a PG. Is anyone else concerned that the Samford guy is only 5’10? That’s Parkeresque.
At least he's a legit 5'10 unlike Parker who was a legit 5'8, but listed 3 inches taller. Look, beggars can't be choosers. Arizona has to have a PG and Coleman probably isn't going to lead us to a title, but he's effective and certainly more capable than Parker was at least offensively. He'd be a good piece to the puzzle all things considered.