Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:Still 3 Centers out there but only 1 worth looking at

https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-1/" target="_blank

Only 6'9" but 12/8 last season

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... n-mekowulu" target="_blank

Could Travis have come here? Or he has to go outside the P12?
Travis is going to Kentucky or Nova.

I think the only guy we're kicking the tires on is Stone Getting and we wouldn't play him until the following season.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Kentucky actually makes the most sense for Travis. That’s the biggest stage in college hoops, beside Duke. He can get big minutes for a top 10 team and benefit from Calipari’s considerable marketing talents.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Any know how good Luther is?
I went back and watched Pitt play vs. West Virginia this past season in order to get a feel for what Luther can bring to the table and how he plays. This is a bit of a limited scouting report, but I thought this provided the best insight into what he might look like against good athletes, a quality defense, and multiple schemes.

WVU used Luther to help combat WVU's full-court pressure. He was a big part of the press break, even bringing the ball up the floor multiple times.

Looks decent with the ball in his hands. Comfortable initiating, albeit not creating off the bounce. Has good vision and looks to be a willing passer, keeps continuity.

Doesn’t have a strong base, not quick laterally, but will stay engaged and play with effort. Not physical or strong. Plays with a bit of finesse and fundamentals.

Solid looking jumper, decent release, ok footwork.

Hands don’t look great. Not going to be a threat as a dive man.

Active defensively on the help side, in the correct position, rotating early to get there. However, dont see him playing C unless by necessity. Hes not stopping anyone at the rim, hes going to have to 3/4 against big guys in the post, and doubt he can hold his ground. Looks a bit more fluid on the perimeter, but think hes going to have ups and downs defensively. Again, good news is he will defend with effort and can diagnose where to be/what to do help side.

Pitt ran a form of drop coverage against high ball screens. Meaning, he would drop under his man setting the screen until the guard was able to get over the screen and cut off penetration. He can hedge, but doesn’t have great lateral quickness or athleticism to stick with guards. Our guards will need to get around the screens immediately so he can slide him back to his man before he loses position. However, did a good job talking, and calling out the ball screen coverages for his guards.

Doesn’t sit down in a stance defensively, plays upright and a bit rigid. However, he looks for his man when the shot goes up and puts a body on them.

Adds an element we don’t have from our bigs, as he can play on the perimeter, hit some outside shots, understands his role, plays to his strengths, stays engaged, knows where to be and what to do. Looks like he has a good basketball IQ, as he knows when the fill and replace on the perimeter, how to keep spacing. His passing and cross court skips will be well received. He will fill that role of the high post passer against zones.

Overall, I think he is a solid fit. Again, he provides the shooting and passing we dont have from a true big. He will have issues defensively, but not as bad as some of the defense we have seen the past few years. Although that isnt saying much. Hes a good pick up, someone I bet Miller will trust, will know his role, will be a good teammate, has a good bball IQ, and will be a solid player at a position of need.
Re-upping this good analysis of Luther by Clip.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

We added 6'6" Alec Spence as a walk on today. He was committed to Rice and was allowed to be released from his LOI...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

whatisee wrote:We added 6'6" Alec Spence as a walk on today. He was committed to Rice and was allowed to be released from his LOI...
So... looks like Spence played at Vermont Academy with Simi Shittu, who Arizona was hot on the trail of until the Book indictment. Assuming Arizona liked what they saw of Spence during their time viewing Shittu.

Kind of strange reporting on him...looks like he finished his senior year in St. Louis at MICDS, earning Metro League POY his senior year and committing to Rice in April 2017 for the 2017-18 season.

BUT

Then he showed up at Vermont Academy for a fifth year of high school. Here are some playing notes on him as he joined VA.

Once he graduated, seems like Rice let him out of his LOI and Arizona swooped him up. Kids looks like a pretty solid basketball player. These notes echo what I keep reading about him:

Spence, who was originally committed to Rice in the class of 2017, was one of Vermont’s standouts during the fall open gym season. He took on more of a complimentary role once the season began but that might be more circumstantial than anything. He plays hard, has a motor, and thrives from 15 feet and in.

Seems like a real diamond in the rough, likely overlook because of his scholastic struggles. From video, he's got a good set of mid-range moves and a smooth jumpshot, with a will to rebound and attack the rim. As a practice squad player? He could be very effective in keeping our guys honest. Might even make an impact on the court one day.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That's a high potential add as far as walk-ons go.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Athlon Sports featuring Dylan Smith on the cover. This is the Arizona edition, one of 24 variations published.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

LOL based on the 6 returnees Smith put up the biggest stats. The national media really has no idea wtf this Arizona team is.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

What do you think Dylan Smith's internal thought process was when Athlon Sports told him they wanted him on their cover?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:What do you think Dylan Smith's internal thought process was when Athlon Sports told him they wanted him on their cover?
That's a U of A owned photo of him. Athlon didn't call him in for a photoshoot or anything and I don't think they even told him about it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:What do you think Dylan Smith's internal thought process was when Athlon Sports told him they wanted him on their cover?
That's a U of A owned photo of him. Athlon didn't call him in for a photoshoot or anything and I don't think they even told him about it.
Don't kill my hypothetical thoughts. It's the offseason, I need them.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Bet there's going to be some hilarious locker room patter from Dylan's teammates when they get a look at the cover. They should talk him up pretty good, huh? :lol:
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Anyone on the board have a license plate BTFDWN?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I wonder if BEARDWN is available in MI
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I saw ASULOL on a UofA plate yesterday. :D
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Twice this week I saw a suv with BTFDWN.
Figured it had to be someone here
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »