let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Why are we going after Zach Johnson? He's got a 1.1 A:TO in the half court. As a pick and roll ball handler, he produces 0.73ppp (good for 44th percentile... not good).

He's not a PG and we've got about a million shooting guards.

Please no.

Edit: If you think it's his defense, he ranks in the 36th percentile in man to man defense. For reference, Trier ranked in the 64th percentile last season.
We need guys who can put the ball in the basket. From what ive heard, thats what he can do.
Most certainly the case for taking both Coleman and Johnson. With Randolph you have a guy in theory who should be able to put the ball in the basket frequently. With Johnson there's no theory required.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Why are we going after Zach Johnson? He's got a 1.1 A:TO in the half court. As a pick and roll ball handler, he produces 0.73ppp (good for 44th percentile... not good).

Please no.

Edit: If you think it's his defense, he ranks in the 36th percentile in man to man defense. For reference, Trier ranked in the 64th percentile last season.
We need guys who can put the ball in the basket. From what ive heard, thats what he can do.
Most certainly the case for taking both Coleman and Johnson. With Randolph you have a guy in theory who should be able to put the ball in the basket frequently. With Johnson there's no theory required.
Both Coleman and Johnson, and this is most certainly a tournament team, and I think one that can compete for a Pac12 title. Need Luther as well though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Please no.

That's the issue next year. I think our potential defensively and on the boards is fine, but who scores? We have a few ok options, but no one you think is penciled in for double digits right now.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Like Choo said. We've got a few guys in theory that score efficiently. Do you take a year of those guys working it out, or hire some one year grad transfer mercenaries to hold the fort this season.

I continue to believe that Barcello, Smith, Randolph, Lee, Akot, Jeter, and Doutrive can get buckets. But as I'll always reiterate - I'm frequently over-confident in the program.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone else think Randolph could become a pretty decent player offensively? He's shown flashes, and he didn't get a lot of reps this past year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone else think Randolph could become a pretty decent player offensively? He's shown flashes, and he didn't get a lot of reps this past year.
He has the most scoring potential of the guys we have now. If Akot can get his J going over the summer, he could also provide some firepower.

Right now, we don't have much punch down low or at the point, which also happen to be the areas we'd be looking to shore up with a grad transfer or Williams.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

We don't know how can and cannot score. None of the guys on the team were given the opportunity to play their game last year.

Smith was the most effective of the returners but his role fluctuated based on the availability of the traditional starting five. Even when he started he was asked to be, at most, the 4th option to score.

We just don't know. And that's not an indictment of the coaching last year nor should it be an indictment of the players - properly, these guys were complementary pieces to a very very good starting five. Is it fair to judge them off of their lack of production last year? Do they have an avenue to realize their potential without getting a significant role in an offense?

I believe that if you roll the ball out with the guys we have, we'll eventually see some really good things out of these players. Conversely if you hide them behind a line of transfers, these players will miss an opportunity to develop.

For reference: Brandon Randolph was ranked last year about the same as Brandon Williams is right now. Akot was ranked higher than Quinerly is right now. If we got Williams, would we want to hide him behind a grad transfer this year? Why are we looking to do the same to Randolph as a sophomore? When we had Quinerly, were we thinking "now THIS is a guy I am excited to see after he sits for two years."
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

247 moved us up to 48th with OT committing

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Baske ... amRankings" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:247 moved us up to 48th with OT committing

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Baske ... amRankings" target="_blank
I'd bet we move into the top 30 by the time it's all said and done. And if we get a surprise commit from BW or JB, it'll be higher obviously.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Guess that ASSU visit didn’t make much of an impression.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He'll keep stabbing us in the heart until the end.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

We are all Cassius Stanley.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We'll get him back
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:He'll keep stabbing us in the heart until the end.
Better in his top 3 than not in it.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Chicat wrote: Guess that ASSU visit didn’t make much of an impression.
He saw their 2018 10th Place Pac 12 banner and ran for his life.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:He'll keep stabbing us in the heart until the end.
Better in his top 3 than not in it.
He's keeping us in it just to pull the 'ol hat switch-a-roo deal.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

YoDeFoe wrote:We are all Cassius Stanley.
Could not agree more

What is he waiting for? This is ridiculous going through all this. Its April and you are naming a Top 3.....I fucking hate recruiting.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well the good news is he moved up his Gonzaga visit to the end of this month instead of June, so this should be over by early May.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Just committ to Oregon already
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well if he comes back to us I think he should know he would be fan favorite #1 from day 1
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Chicat wrote: Guess that ASSU visit didn’t make much of an impression.
I'm telling you, he is just going around the country getting girls. I'm pretty sure of this, mostly from his insta stories. He already made up his mind.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Well the good news is he moved up his Gonzaga visit to the end of this month instead of June, so this should be over by early May.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Again, our only shot is if AZ is his dream school and always has been. If he went into this whole process without any real favorite, think he'll be at Oregon.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Lame. A Top 3? Why?

EDIT: I see Newport and I are of the same mind here.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Pop McKale wrote:Lame. A Top 3? Why?

You decommit, thats fine and within your right to do so. But quickly take a couple visits and pick a school without making a big deal about it. If you wanted to go through the recruiting process, then don't commit quickly. Doing a Top 3 now is so stupid.

I honestly have no idea why people like Sean Miller stay coaching in College. It has to be the most miserable experience ever. You have to deal with annoying fans like myself criticizing your every move. You have to spend your summer sitting in a hot gym in Vegas sucking up to 17 year old kids and there annoying parents and their AAU coaches who don't know shit about coaching and the random cousin who thinks they are important. Then you ultimately have to report to a board of regents which you never get to talk to. And have annoying rich alumni who demand things of you. And then you also have to get kids to go to Class which they care little about. And these same kids will do really stupid shit sometimes because they are college kids. Then you get to travel to places like Pullman, WA and then wait 3 days to play in Seattle. Then you have to deal with the NCAA tournament which sums up your entire year in a single elimination tournament. And to top it all off you get to deal with the NCAA, the worthless organization ever created by man.

Oh and then its over, half your team either graduates, leaves for the NBA, or transfers and you start your team pretty much from scratch

You do make good money for sure
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Attention.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote:

You decommit, thats fine and within your right to do so. But quickly take a couple visits and pick a school without making a big deal about it. If you wanted to go through the recruiting process, then don't commit quickly. Doing a Top 3 now is so stupid.

I honestly have no idea why people like Sean Miller stay coaching in College. It has to be the most miserable experience ever. You have to deal with annoying fans like myself criticizing your every move. You have to spend your summer sitting in a hot gym in Vegas sucking up to 17 year old kids and there annoying parents and their AAU coaches who don't know shit about coaching and the random cousin who thinks they are important. Then you ultimately have to report to a board of regents which you never get to talk to. And have annoying rich alumni who demand things of you. And then you also have to get kids to go to Class which they care little about. And these same kids will do really stupid shit sometimes because they are college kids. Then you get to travel to places like Pullman, WA and then wait 3 days to play in Seattle. Then you have to deal with the NCAA tournament which sums up your entire year in a single elimination tournament. And to top it all off you get to deal with the NCAA, the worthless organization ever created by man.

Oh and then its over, half your team either graduates, leaves for the NBA, or transfers and you start your team pretty much from scratch

You do make good money for sure
Which is why so many college coaches have bolted for the pros.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Attention.
Right. Between the timing of his decommit announcement and now this, I’m less and less enamored with this kid. Don’t fault him for having second thoughts after all that’s been but it’s been pretty clear for a while that what you see is what you get with Arizona and Sean Miller right now. Also pretty clear that the apparent last straw for him has been universally debunked by everyone not wearing the letters ESPN. Of course he’s got to do what he feels is best, but Miller still has a lot of ground to make up and time isn’t really on his side. I’d almost applaud Miller for pulling the plug now to go hard after the better transfers out there versus letting another 3 weeks go by and have Williams end up at Oregon, anyway, but at this point I guess Miller probably doesn’t have too much to lose except the time and expense needed to kiss this kid’s ass on a weekly basis.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I’ll gladly take him, but this self-fellating (or with partners as Sunny speculates) West Coast tour has stripped my love for Williams. I don’t like it when five star recruits drag it out, I certainly don’t like it when four stars do it worse.

He’s taking advantage. The selfishness and self aggrandizing doesn’t speak well to hopes that he’s a day one leader of men.

A commitment and good play cures all, of course.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

YoDeFoe wrote:I’ll gladly take him, but this self-fellating (or with partners as Sunny speculates) West Coast tour has stripped my love for Williams. I don’t like it when five star recruits drag it out, I certainly don’t like it when four stars do it worse.

He’s taking advantage. The selfishness and self aggrandizing doesn’t speak well to hopes that he’s a day one leader of men.

Preach

I’m with you pop and Newport on this.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

YoDeFoe wrote:I’ll gladly take him, but this self-fellating (or with partners as Sunny speculates) West Coast tour has stripped my love for Williams. I don’t like it when five star recruits drag it out, I certainly don’t like it when four stars do it worse.

He will either be one of the most loved Arizona recruits of all time, who us Fans praise forever for sticking with Arizona and treat him like a God the moment he steps on campus. Or he will go to Oregon, have a nice career but not start immediately at PG after getting lied to by Dana and will show up to McKale every year and get Booed mercifully and think to himself...oh wait...this is what a real fan base looks and feels like.

Funny thing the guy looks like a great player but not sure if he is surefire future lottery pick or something. Its just 2am and we are at Los Betos and are very desperate. That stage where you are looking around thinking to yourself do I talk to the larger girl in the corner or order the second burrito and just go home alone.

I really hope he picks us but so doubtful at this point
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

It's too bad Vasa pusica isn't on that transfer list. He was impressive.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't know man, he's 18. I don't set the bar really high at that age. Teenagers generally tend to be more self focused and enjoy attention.

The type of selfishness where you aren't ready to work is what bothers me.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just get the burrito and go home. Live to fight another day without the drama. Lol
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I don't have a problem with it. They are picking where they are going to go to school, and there are plenty of factors to consider and you have made these huge relationships, and you know you are going to be cutting 2/3rds or more of those people out of your life the second you commit. I imagine you go back and forth, especially in this situation where you committed early, were fully on board, and then all kinds of shit happens to pull you off that position.

I mean, remember this kid did not do this dance willingly. He was in the Arizona fold and a strong commit until there became real reasons to doubt. Yes, it is May until he says who, but he didn't start until Schlabach. Most kids have a couple of years being recruited...he is cramming the whole thing into 3 months, probably buying some time to see if we can fill a roster. I mean...delaying is simply good for us. Nothing significant is going to change in Eugene or Spokane. Yet he is waiting. We are the ones with the fluid situation.

The letter of intent (if signed) is heavily weighed in favor of the school, especially in revenue sports. Verbal commitments only started because coaches started pressing for premature decisions from 16 year olds for their benefit. Verbals should be banished...give a signing period, have kids sign then. The world does not revolve around college sports...it is OK if a coach has to be flexible in his roster design. The kid is signing where they will go for the first important away-from-home years of their newly adult life. If it takes until May, and the school still has an opening, it takes until May.

Especially for a kid who had his plan all figured out and got a bomb dropped on him in February.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I don't know man, he's 18. I don't set the bar really high at that age. Teenagers generally tend to be more self focused and enjoy attention.

Harsh, Spiff. I was only like five minutes late to the office this morning.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I was early, but I wasn't ready to work.

I respect the process. The process is that I need to check my email, this board, maybe grab some coffee (yes, grab some coffee)...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Harsh, Spiff. I was only like five minutes late to the office this morning.
Are you accepting money for this too? You're totally hosed with the NCAA if so.

I show my commitment to work by only posting from the toilet. I like to think I simultaneously drop pearls of wisdom and fudge dragons.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TMI Spiff
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

LOL love the last few posts here. Great work guys.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You had me at fudge dragons.

This thread gets better by the hour, seemingly.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Agree. Can't fault an 18-year-old for enjoying the moment and the attention even we are all still giving him. :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

A good friend who sometimes knows a little bit about a little bit just texted me that Williams is Arizona’s to lose.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:A good friend who sometimes knows a little bit about a little bit just texted me that Williams is Arizona’s to lose.
Chicat we all know your source

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Just get the burrito and go home. Live to fight another day without the drama. Lol
Where were you with this advice my freshmen year in college!!!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:A good friend who sometimes knows a little bit about a little bit just texted me that Williams is Arizona’s to lose.
If we get Williams, it would be the best news for quite some time.

Hope that friend is right, Chi.
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

C'mon guys, if the fat girl is at Betos at 2AM, she's there for a reason. Grab her, the Carne Asade plate that makes 2 burritos and take the whole hot mess back to your place. Claim it all!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:C'mon guys, if the fat girl is at Betos at 2AM, she's there for a reason. Grab her, the Carne Asade plate that makes 2 burritos and take the whole hot mess back to your place. Claim it all!
I stand corrected...this is winning info.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:C'mon guys, if the fat girl is at Betos at 2AM, she's there for a reason. Grab her, the Carne Asade plate that makes 2 burritos and take the whole hot mess back to your place. Claim it all!
Our new assistant coach, ladies and gentlemen.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Now this is the advice I heard my freshmen year...felt great at 2am and terrible at 9am