Lauri Markkanen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Lauri Markkanen

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
HiCat wrote:Lauri Markkanen has become the go-to guy in Tucson

Mike.Robinson Dec 30, 2016, 9:31am PST

Basketball is technically a team sport, but with only five players a side, star players can easily change a game. For the 11-2 Arizona Wildcats, Lauri Markkanen has become that player.

The 7-foot forward currently leads the Wildcats in scoring (16.1 PPG), rebounding (7.3 RPG), free throw success rate (83.3%), and three point percentage (a whopping 43.5%). His combination of skill and size had made Markkanen the focal point of Arizona's offense and has some NBA...

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... a-m-aggies" target="_blank
I am not really sure who else would even be in the conversation for best fresh in UA history.

Maybe Elliot, Bibby, & Bayless? Not anyone else I can think of... and he is better than all 3 were.
Derrick Williams was no slouch...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Before my time, but I am sure one of the old-timers will say Coniel Norman.

24 points, 5 rebs a game as a freshman with no three point line.

http://allsportstucson.com/2016/12/20/a ... than-past/

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
HiCat wrote:Lauri Markkanen has become the go-to guy in Tucson

Mike.Robinson Dec 30, 2016, 9:31am PST

Basketball is technically a team sport, but with only five players a side, star players can easily change a game. For the 11-2 Arizona Wildcats, Lauri Markkanen has become that player.

The 7-foot forward currently leads the Wildcats in scoring (16.1 PPG), rebounding (7.3 RPG), free throw success rate (83.3%), and three point percentage (a whopping 43.5%). His combination of skill and size had made Markkanen the focal point of Arizona's offense and has some NBA...

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... a-m-aggies" target="_blank
I am not really sure who else would even be in the conversation for best fresh in UA history.

Maybe Elliot, Bibby, & Bayless? Not anyone else I can think of... and he is better than all 3 were.
Derrick Williams was no slouch...
He is certainly worthy of mention. My memory fails me... I don't recall his being near as good his freshman year as he was a sophomore - but he was good, no doubt.

I actually think DW had the greatest soph season in UA History. (EDIT: that I witnessed)

EDIT: I was a toddler in California during the Kitty Corps days... But those frosh numbers from Norman are sick. Money and Fleming, too, for that matter.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Lauri's nickname should be 'Iceman'. Dude comes from a Nordic climate, cool & calm demeanor, and a professional stone-cold killer!

I can't believe how much fun he is to watch.....enjoy the show while we can fellow 'Cats.

Bear Down.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I can't speak on Sean Elliott, but I think he's better than Bibby and Bayless, whom I consider the two best. Williams was a very good freshman but his usage was significantly higher than Lauri's and he had an edge being an interior player then with the higher percentage looks, easy buckets off offensive boards and interior cuts, and going to the foul line at a higher rate as a non-perimeter player, especially on a team that wasn't really that good or deep. Lauri is obviously a better and more valuable defender than D Will was as a freshman. Some other guys who should be in the conversation are Stanley (being on an experienced and loaded team took away from his #s a bit), Aaron Gordon, Chase Budinger, Arenas and Michael Wright. Then again, there are some more guys in the Lute days who may be thrown into this mix but played in an era where almost everyone stayed 3 or 4 years.

Lauri's numbers so far; 16.7 ppg, 7.4 reb, *1 TURNOVER*, 51% FG, 46.5 3pt%, 82.5% FT, 54.8% on 2ptFG (Dusan is 56.3% for reference and Lauri takes way more stationary and off the dribble mid-range shots), .658 true shooting percentage, .616 eFG%, 26.4 PER. Insane really, especially when you consider he is a 7 foot perimeter player.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Lauri is easily the most skilled freshman we've had in my consciousness as a basketball fan (1990 and onwards). He is one of the best shooters in an Arizona uniform ever. He moves and puts the ball on the floor like a 3 at 7'1.

The best is hard to say. Bibby's role in the NC run is such a huge part of who he was, and we have no idea how our season ends.

I'll settle that Lauri is going to represent our program in the NBA well for the next 12-15 years. He has a perennial all-star ceiling and a rotation player floor. We're going to be really happy he came here based on what he gives us this year and what he allows us to sell to future recruits. I can see him as an NBA star appearing in a players program video, maybe even mentioning our 5 Final Fours...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Seems those in the know compare him to Kiki Vandeweghe who had a very productive NBA career.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... eki01.html" target="_blank

Sean Elliott's college stats for comparison, very good freshman year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... ott-1.html" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:

Sean Elliott's college stats for comparison, very good freshman year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... ott-1.html" target="_blank

But his 3 point percentage was horrible. ;)
-JB
gumby

Post by gumby »

Didn't see Norman. For me, Bibby leads in the clubhouse, but Lauri has many holes to play.

"Markkanen ... for three ... Helsinki it!"
Right where I want to be.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

You can see some of his teammates just slack jawed at times, like "damn...some day I am gonna be able to say I played with him."

His skill set is rifuckingdiculous. 7 footers can't do that. He has surpassed the Dirk comparisons (in things he does at this level, not actual play...that'd be dumb to say). Every time he drives like a guard or shoots a three, I turn to my wife and say "by the way...he's 7-foot" like a mantra, my way of pointing out the absurdity of his game
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We're finding new ways to measure how good Lauri is.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Stone Cold Stud
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The Finnisher!

Forgot who coined that, but it fits well.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If Lute has LM, would he have given him the freedom of shooting the 3 like he does now? I just wonder because we had Channing who must have displayed some kind of ability to hit the 3 in practice but Lute wanted him in the paint.
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

The fuckin GOAT
gumby

Post by gumby »

gumby wrote:Didn't see Norman. For me, Bibby leads in the clubhouse, but Lauri has many holes to play.

"Markkanen ... for three ... Helsinki it!"
With the kiss. A hard kiss.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:The Finnisher!

Forgot who coined that, but it fits well.
Sept. 13. This thread. Sorta.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Does any other player on the team benefit from Zo's return more than Lauri? I think not. You will have to think much longer and harder about doubling him with Trier on the court. They will help each other get open and create opportunities for each other. I am beyond excited to finally see them play together. It might not happen right away, but I think they could develop the best 1-2 punch we have had here in a while.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

baconus66 wrote:Does any other player on the team benefit from Zo's return more than Lauri? I think not. You will have to think much longer and harder about doubling him with Trier on the court. They will help each other get open and create opportunities for each other. I am beyond excited to finally see them play together. It might not happen right away, but I think they could develop the best 1-2 punch we have had here in a while.

When ask about Zo's return, Markkanen was heard to utter: "Por Finn!"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Two games in a row the Finnisher* put a dagger into LA!
*-copyright Gumby
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Two games in a row the Finnisher* put a dagger into LA!
*-copyright Gumby
TJ who?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

You're welcome.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Merkin wrote:
Tru Dat.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:
I don't think anyone but Leaf's mom thought anything different. Leave is a fringe lottery while Lauri is top 5
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

So, um, any chance the nba suddently introduces a 2 year minimum rule for players entering the league and we get Lauri for another year?

hey, a fan can dream right?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Lauri deserves player of the week honors, but watch them give it to Lorenzo Bonam instead.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:Lauri deserves player of the week honors, but watch them give it to Lorenzo Bonam instead.
Was thinking the same thing - he has the stats plus led his team to a road sweep in LA.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I don't think anyone but Leaf's mom thought anything different. Leave is a fringe lottery while Lauri is top 5
DX has Leaf at 21 and Lauri has been top ten all year. Leaf has produced well for UCLA, but in terms of long term potential, it isn't really close.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:Lauri deserves player of the week honors, but watch them give it to Lorenzo Bonam instead.
If they don't give the POW to the guy who produced the best on a sweep of the most difficult road trip in the conference then...well there is no threat actually...the Pac-12 and Larry Scott are that stupid so I could definitely see that happening.

As for reference, no Arizona player has won POW once this year. UCLA has 4 and Cal has 2 for christ's sake.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
If they don't give the POW to the guy who produced the best on a sweep of the most difficult road trip in the conference then...well there is no threat actually...the Pac-12 and Larry Scott are that stupid so I could definitely see that happening.

As for reference, no Arizona player has won POW once this year. UCLA has 4 and Cal has 2 for christ's sake.
I think it's actually the media that votes.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I just looked it up and you're correct. Shows you the hype UCLA has gotten...granted deserved so far.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

He wins POY if we win the Pac, right?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:He wins POY if we win the Pac, right?
Doubtful.

Remember this is the league that gave Joseph Young the POY over TJ McConnell and we destroyed Oregon both times we played them during the regular season that year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Main Event wrote:He wins POY if we win the Pac, right?
If they use the "Best Player on the Best Team" rule. Otherwise the best player is no doubt Ball.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Based on the player each school nominates, right?
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Based on the player each school nominates, right?
Correct, and you usually need to win your games. So it'll likely be between whoever Utah and Arizona nominate.

If Greg Hansen has a vote, you know he's going for the Ute.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Fultz went 33.5 ppg, 6 rpg and 6 apg in a home split with Rado and Utah. We know how this ends....
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Come on Choo you know as well as we do that they can't give any awards to an Arizona person. COY is best besides SM, POY is best player on best team not named Arizona, and POW is pray that somebody puts up some big numbers so we don't have to give it to a Cat, which was fulfilled by Fultz this week
gumby

Post by gumby »

*sigh.*

A week ago. "We're third best in conference. Really need to get Trier back"

A week later. "Where's the awards and recognition?!"

Bilas, DeCourcy, Gottlieb, Gasaway, Raftery and on and on.

"Yeah, but ... that weekly conference thingie."

Don't read this if you want to remain in Victimville.

http://allsportstucson.com/2017/01/21/n ... no-3-ucla/" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It may not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but it does mean something to the players and Miller. Miller and Lute would have never talked about it otherwise. People, especially young men, like to be recognized and their coaches want them to as well.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:*sigh.*

You really need to develop an appreciation for the pleasures of Victimville. You've probably never even moaned to your family about a rude driver on the way home from the liquor store.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Lauri may just have to settle for his recognition in the form of a top 8 pick and millions and millions of dollars. Because that is definitely coming his way. The rest...well, people who know basketball know Lauri.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

As a fan, it really is ok to want to see your favorite team, coaches, and players get the recognition from the national press you think they deserve. I don't think its going too far out on a limb to say Lauri deserves some recognition for leading us to a sweep of the toughest roadtrip in the conference...
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

love that gottlieb tweet. sweet vindication.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:

You really need to develop an appreciation for the pleasures of Victimville. You've probably never even moaned to your family about a rude driver on the way home from the liquor store.
Oh, now THAT guy did it on purpose! You can't tell me otherwise!