Jason Scheer

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Jason Scheer

Post by Olsondogg »

The best part of this thread is BeachCat and his idiocy.

I mean, I took the bait too for a while.

The thing is that the very guy being "cool, calm and collected" feeling that Arizona would replace GB with someone equivalent or better, is the same guy who freaks out over any minor bump in the road with anything else. Furthermore, to think that BC has a hold on who is/isn't a good AD is giving him waaaaaaaay too much credit considering he has no knowledge what is/isn't good about anything, anywhere.

And him talking about "unnecessary panic" in regards to others might be the most hypocritical post ever on this board, and that's saying alot.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh, dude. I am freaking the f*** out now. Any pretenses of cool are gone completely. If GB leaves, we're going to be Washington State within a year or two.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Beachcat97 wrote:Oh, dude. I am freaking the f*** out now. Any pretenses of cool are gone completely. If GB leaves, we're going to be Washington State within a year or two.
You freak about everything...this will be no different.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Oh, dude. I am freaking the f*** out now. Any pretenses of cool are gone completely. If GB leaves, we're going to be Washington State within a year or two.
Well, when the panic here has run its course, maybe we can be done with this thread and talk about basketball again. I'm not the best at deciding when/why to panic, it turns out, so I'll look to others for guidance.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Olsondogg wrote:
Beachcat97: The gift that keeps on giving
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Losing Byrne is bad but not the end of the world. He has a good staff ( I hope he wouldn't cherry pick). He has set the wheels in motion for a lot of great stuff. The administration is organized. All that won't change on a dime. Any new AD would be filling big shoes but would inherent a great team/program. Any effects would be felt longer term as coaches leave, donors dry up, the college sports landscape evolves, etc. We would be okay for a couple of years and maybe more if the incoming AD is competent. I don't think we will get someone who is a slam dunk like Byrne but I am a pessimist. Unfortunately, UA *is* a stepping stone. With the exception of Coach Olsen, we aren't considered a destination. Olsen was lightning in a bottle. If Byrne stays, we should count out lucky stars because that would be 2 lightning in a bottle. VERY RARE for a school in the desert, in a God-forsaken red state with low appreciation for education, with limited resources, and a relatively apathetic football fan base (especially compared to the SEC and B10). We done pretty good with what we got.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Well, when the panic here has run its course, maybe we can be done with this thread and talk about basketball again. I'm not the best at deciding when/why to panic, it turns out, so I'll look to others for guidance.
You are the best at freaking the fuck out over everything...this will be no different.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UALoco wrote:Losing Byrne is bad but not the end of the world. He has a good staff ( I hope he wouldn't cherry pick). He has set the wheels in motion for a lot of great stuff. The administration is organized. All that won't change on a dime. Any new AD would be filling big shoes but would inherent a great team/program. Any effects would be felt longer term as coaches leave, donors dry up, the college sports landscape evolves, etc. We would be okay for a couple of years and maybe more if the incoming AD is competent. I don't think we will get someone who is a slam dunk like Byrne but I am a pessimist. Unfortunately, UA *is* a stepping stone. With the exception of Coach Olsen, we aren't considered a destination. Olsen was lightning in a bottle. If Byrne stays, we should count out lucky stars because that would be 2 lightning in a bottle. VERY RARE for a school in the desert, in a God-forsaken red state with low appreciation for education, with limited resources, and a relatively apathetic football fan base (especially compared to the SEC and B10). We done pretty good with what we got.
Coach Olsen??!! Death to the infidel!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:We always knew the that someday we would lose Greg Byrne. But there is no sugar coating losing GB if he departs.

His loss would be a huge, monstrous blow to the athletic department and the dynamic fund-raising he has been involved with.

Greg Bryne is easily one of the top 10 AD's in the nation and is probably top 5 if you look at the overall disadvantages the UofA has to deal with. The guy is nails!

Simply put, stop kidding yourself with feel good illusions..................Arizona isn't replacing Greg Byrne with another Greg Byrne.

In my opinion losing Greg would be just like losing Sean Miller or when Lute had to hang it up.

He's that important to Arizona and his impact that big.
Look is Greg Byrne an excellent AD and one of the best in the country right now? Absolutely, but he's far from flawless, and he's far from the only young guy who can do this job effectively. Would I rather have him? Of course, but it's not a death sentence like you're insinuating it is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Look is Greg Byrne an excellent AD and one of the best in the country right now? Absolutely, but he's far from flawless, and he's far from the only young guy who can do this job effectively. Would I rather have him? Of course, but it's not a death sentence like you're insinuating it is.
A-freaking-men.

Okay, back to my panicking now!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

You had to know this day was coming soon. Seeing what he has done w the facilities, the coaches he has brought in and their success, keeping top level coaches happy, and how he is with the fans. I was telling my buddy last year that its only a matter of time before we lose GB to a Florida, a Texas or an Ohio State. Hes special and it will suck when he is gone, but its going to have minimal bearing on our basketball program unless we bring in the wrong guy
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I am guessing it won't be Florida...not this time.

We could lose him. But we have a few nice advantages...a youngish and devoted coaching staff, a community that doesn't 2nd guess his every decision, and a donated energy fund that still has yet to fully vest, helping shrink the gap between us and Florida.

And Florida is not what I consider generationally dominant. They had two fantastic coaches back to back. They had their Sean Miller, but he bailed for OKC. I am not even going to say the University of Arizona athletic department is equal to the University of Florida, but I do not thing UF is a big enough catch to overcome those nice advantages.

I still believe Byrne leaves us to run an organization that is not a college athletic department. A conference, the NCAA, a sports league. I truly believe, and have heard, he has eyes on larger prizes. And a misstep at an SEC school competing against monsters could interrupt that path. We are good enough, have the coaches in place, have recent upgrades, and are in the conversation enough to keep his name in those circles...to get the bump in stature without having to start over.

Maybe I am wrong. I am not close to the situation. But from what I have heard in the past, and looking at this situation as it presents itself with the retention options available, I don't think he is going.

(maybe he is already gone by the time I write this...)
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Just bumping this because I need some laughs in my life from BC.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Whose going to fire up the AD search thread?

I don't even know where you go to find ADs.
Mississippi State.
I'm callng this a W for me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Jason Sheer is an idiot and frankly I wonder why ESPN keeps him on the radio, no one watches that thing anymore anyway...he went on full on admitting he thinks Miller is dirty in the FBI thing and has yet to recant, I wouldn't let him interview roadkill, he'd misquote it.

Wait my bad I got him mixed up with Zack Clark...the content of my post might change but the sentiment does not.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Jason Sheer is an idiot and frankly I wonder why ESPN keeps him on the radio, no one watches that thing anymore anyway...he went on full on admitting he thinks Miller is dirty in the FBI thing and has yet to recant, I wouldn't let him interview roadkill, he'd misquote it.

Wait my bad I got him mixed up with Zack Clark...the content of my post might change but the sentiment does not.
Yeah, Clark is a shit stain tool.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i like Jason a lot, specifically as a person.

he is a family man and a great dad, plus professionally he’s unbiased and seems to stick to the facts.

regarding Arizona, he loves the Wildcats and loves his job - i for one appreciate him.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah I’d have to take a class or something on the finer points of hating Scheer because I don’t remotely get it. I will say that there’s a contingency of whiny, dumb posters who feel somehow victimized by Scheer, as based on entirely misreading things he writes. And there’s not much you can do about that. It’s a problem that dates back to the premium board at Goazcats, and predates Scheer, but puts him in the position of having to take the blows. Great guy from what I can tell.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Yeah I’d have to take a class or something on the finer points of hating Scheer because I don’t remotely get it. I will say that there’s a contingency of whiny, dumb posters who feel somehow victimized by Scheer, as based on entirely misreading things he writes. And there’s not much you can do about that. It’s a problem that dates back to the premium board at Goazcats, and predates Scheer, but puts him in the position of having to take the blows. Great guy from what I can tell.
He does need to communicate more clearly, but chooses to be vague or whatever that style is. Writes tweets as if he's continuing a conversation most people weren't there for.

He shouldn't be surprised if the response is WTF? For instance:
In regards to? Might work on a message board, but with a bigger audience, it's lost.
I'm sure he's a swell guy.
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Next UCLA coach was my guess.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Give me Scheer all day, every day over Pascoe & especially Hansen. All day. Every day.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Yeah I’d have to take a class or something on the finer points of hating Scheer because I don’t remotely get it. I will say that there’s a contingency of whiny, dumb posters who feel somehow victimized by Scheer, as based on entirely misreading things he writes. And there’s not much you can do about that. It’s a problem that dates back to the premium board at Goazcats, and predates Scheer, but puts him in the position of having to take the blows. Great guy from what I can tell.
He does need to communicate more clearly, but chooses to be vague or whatever that style is. Writes tweets as if he's continuing a conversation most people weren't there for.

He shouldn't be surprised if the response is WTF? For instance:
In regards to? Might work on a message board, but with a bigger audience, it's lost.
I'm sure he's a swell guy.
Tomorrow: olives
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I like Scheer but he is a very bad tweeter
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Give me Scheer all day, every day over Pascoe & especially Hansen. All day. Every day.
I like Bruce. He has gotten a bad rep, but I think he does good work.

Hansen, he sucks. Put him in the same class as Clark.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:I like Scheer but he is a very bad tweeter
Like him too, but as a former teacher, you think his communication skills would be a little better.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I have to like Pascoe. He gave me the name Diehard Dave when he interviewed me before a day when both the bkb and fb teams had big games at almost the same time.
I didn't like what Scheer did on the other board.
As one who was in education for 7 years with minors in speech and English, I can't brag about my communication skills either. :oops:
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
Like him too, but as a former teacher, you think his communication skills would be a little better.
Not a writer.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But a daddy!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

DiehardDave37 wrote:I
and what was that???
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

I like him too, but half of his tweets have no context and I have no idea what the hell he is talking about. And he gets into twitter fights lol. He's definitely not good at twitter.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:
and what was that???
That thing he did. Don’t remember? Think Mike Norvell.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I agree he is not a good Tweeter and not the best at writing or analysis, but I would pay admission for him to permanently replace Kevin Woodman on the 1290 radio show. He adds in depth info and actually appears to follow UofA basketball.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Screw that, let him replace Hansen and just do podcasts
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:But a daddy!
That list does qualify as "doo-doo." Arizona, SC and Oregon rated too low. Oregon not a top 36 team?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
97cats wrote:
and what was that???
That thing he did. Don’t remember? Think Mike Norvell.
"What are we doing here?"
Good For You

Post by Good For You »

So I am not the only one. Great interviews on 1290. Complete toolbag on twitter.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Nice, thanks Chicat! Can’t stand that hosebag Scheer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Nice, thanks Chicat! Can’t stand that hosebag Scheer.
I just thought it was funny. I think Scheer does a really good job covering Arizona sports.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Nice, thanks Chicat! Can’t stand that hosebag Scheer.
I just thought it was funny. I think Scheer does a really good job covering Arizona sports.
Possibly but he over tweets for sure....also seems to be pretty obnoxious IMHO.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Right on, Rawle! You remind me more of "No easy baskets" Parrom every day.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd be a little scared if he was on the other team.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

If Alkins playing at the beginning of the season, the Cats would have one loss at most. He does make a big difference and is a piece of the puzzle we desperately needed.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Savage life! 8-)
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

This made me laugh.
Bangkok Wildcat

btfd16 wrote: This made me laugh.
Except it comes from a Utah Fan so I’ll take that with a grain of salt even with my own opinions on the subject.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
btfd16 wrote: This made me laugh.
Except it comes from a Utah Fan so I’ll take that with a grain of salt even with my own opinions on the subject.
That caught me as well, but it is also funny they both work for 247.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

A Ute fan calling someone whiny?

Heh...