Merkin

Re: Jason Scheer

Post by Merkin »

:D
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Merkin wrote::D
That is pretty funny...and very true. Thanks Merkin.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Could Jason Scheer positively steer the course of Arizona basketball history not once, but twice??
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Just might.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

He was on KTAR around 445pm today. Got them talking about the wrong dates in espns article before the 247 article dropped. I may not like that shows crew but they spread the word and when they have guests on, they can spread it to them. He did a lot of good today.
Last edited by Gilbertcat on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Chicat wrote:Could Jason Scheer positively steer the course of Arizona basketball history not once, but twice??
What was the first time! If all this works out like sheer says he is an instant legend!!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Tim Floyd at the airport, 3goggles.

Credit where credit is due. What Scheer does about this story will be the capstone of his career.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:Could Jason Scheer positively steer the course of Arizona basketball history not once, but twice??
He's already had a better career than Kirk Walters.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Credit where credit is due, Big ups Scheer.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I kinda want gimino to come and chime in about his thoughts of this mess.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

CalStateTempe wrote:Credit where credit is due, Big ups Scheer.
Must have missed it - why is Scheer a hero now?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:
What was the first time! If all this works out like sheer says he is an instant legend!!
For anyone who doesn’t know, when the basketball coaching search was going on, someone got a tip that our top candidate was flying into Tucson. Scheer heads over to the airport to see if any recognizable coaches walk out and grab a picture. I think he was literally hiding behind a bush when Tim Floyd walks out.

The pic goes up on the site, the message boards go crazy, people start calling the AD in protest, and the next thing you know Tim was running back to USC with his tail between his legs and a story about not being able to leave his team. We get Sean Miller instead and the rest is history.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I remember that pic. And when Miller turned us down I went to bed thinking we we're getting Seth Greensburg and UofA basketball was done. Woke up in the morning with news that Miller accepted the job (on the way to my Calculus class). Crazy how I'll never forget that. Here we are 9 years later. Time flies.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

I skipped class to greet Sean and his family as they rolled up to McKale. Damn, time flies.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I was hoping for Reggie Theus
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Dosia wrote:I skipped class to greet Sean and his family as they rolled up to McKale. Damn, time flies.
Doesn't it though? I was thinking this earlier when I kept hearing 9 years. Wow, to think (can't remember who it was -- Andy Katz?) who said Arizona was a 7 year rebuilding job.

4 Pac12 titles (soon to be 5), 3 E8, 5 S16, and some crazy memories later, here we are. I've been to Vegas, Lubbock, Tempe, LA, Ann Arbor, ABQ, and San Diego to support this program. If this is the end, it truly is an end of an era. Wish I could say I was around for the Lute era but I wasn't. Came to Tucson in 07, the same year he took a leave of absence ad and haven't missed many games since (got a job in Tucson after college).

Again hearing 9 years is crazy to me. One thing lost in all this is how Lute feels. Aren't they revealing a statue soon?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I played hooky with a coworker and watched Miller's first press conference at McKale. Felt good man.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

threenumberones wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Credit where credit is due, Big ups Scheer.
Must have missed it - why is Scheer a hero now?
He has been attacking this story head on and pointing out the numerous holes and inconsistences.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Scheer has been relentlessly attacking the credibility of the ESPN story since it dropped. Bigly.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Olsondogg wrote:I was hoping for Reggie Theus
I was hoping for Steve Alford.

Dammit
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Chicat wrote:
3goggles wrote:
For anyone who doesn’t know, when the basketball coaching search was going on, someone got a tip that our top candidate was flying into Tucson. Scheer heads over to the airport to see if any recognizable coaches walk out and grab a picture. I think he was literally hiding behind a bush when Tim Floyd walks out.

The pic goes up on the site, the message boards go crazy, people start calling the AD in protest, and the next thing you know Tim was running back to USC with his tail between his legs and a story about not being able to leave his team. We get Sean Miller instead and the rest is history.

The first time I ever called the school to raise hell. Mem'ries!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sheer has been a bit quiet this afternoon. Maybe he's getting some sleep.
az91

Post by az91 »

azgreg wrote:Sheer has been a bit quiet this afternoon. Maybe he's getting some sleep.
Actually, he called out Dan Bickley for lying about trashing him on Phoenix radio.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

az91 wrote:
azgreg wrote:Sheer has been a bit quiet this afternoon. Maybe he's getting some sleep.
Actually, he called out Dan Bickley for lying about trashing him on Phoenix radio.
He did that after about a 7 hour absence.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I've read too many of your posts to believe that, Dogg. :roll:
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

MrBug708 wrote:
I was hoping for Steve Alford.

Dammit
That last one I might believe. :lol:
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

az91 wrote:
I will get Bickley straight, he's being fed shit from Andy Greenberg who is a bad fan.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

rgdeuce wrote:I played hooky with a coworker and watched Miller's first press conference at McKale. Felt good man.
You mean the one where Livengood introduced Miller as the former Exavier coach?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Mr. Scheer please take a bow. Well done sir.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

MrMeow wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I played hooky with a coworker and watched Miller's first press conference at McKale. Felt good man.
Dude, get it right, it's pronounced EGGavier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Motherfuckin’ HERO
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Honestly, it should be the Jason Scheer & Josh Gershon school of Sports Journalism.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Do we put Scheer on the Mt. Rushmore of U of A basketball now? Lute, Miller, Jason, Elliot...? Who you got?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Scheer deserves a statue somewhere on campus after all this.
MrMeow wrote:
I must have forgotten that :lol: Good grief
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I'm assuming this wasn't Ben. (I think he has a son Tyler as well?)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yea, Tyler who was known as BearDownBaby during the Goazcats days. Scheer was NobodyBetter.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:I'm assuming this wasn't Ben. (I think he has a son Tyler as well?)
Apparently it was Jake Hansen. So what we know is that Greg’s wife threw him a pity fuck at least three times.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Chicat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:I'm assuming this wasn't Ben. (I think he has a son Tyler as well?)
Apparently it was Jake Hansen. So what we know is that Greg’s wife threw him a pity fuck at least three times.
Explain please.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

MC1983 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Explain please.
He has 3 kids.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Alieberman wrote:
MC1983 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Explain please.
He has 3 kids.

Got it!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Was he being serious about the Heeke interview? I didn’t see it so I am hoping some positive news?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:Was he being serious about the Heeke interview? I didn’t see it so I am hoping some positive news?

Pure sarcasm
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

azcat49 wrote:Was he being serious about the Heeke interview? I didn’t see it so I am hoping some positive news?
Here's the interview. 2 parts.
I forgot how to embed a youtube video so here's the J.Scheer link.
https://247sports.com/college/arizona/B ... 128951433/" target="_blank
Mike Luke's burner account.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thank you so much for posting that interview. I Am a dumb shit when it comes to reading between the lines. Generally the vote of confidence is killer so where are we. I know the boosters seem to be solidly behind coach at least through next year. Throwing Phelps to the wolves is puzzling though and Heeke seems weak IMO. Is he just saving his ass?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Thank you so much for posting that interview. I Am a dumb shit when it comes to reading between the lines. Generally the vote of confidence is killer so where are we. I know the boosters seem to be solidly behind coach at least through next year. Throwing Phelps to the wolves is puzzling though and Heeke seems weak IMO. Is he just saving his ass?
Heeke seems over his head.

He’s completely powerless (unlike the Football situation) but at the same time there’s so much shit swirling around the program that he wants to seem on top of things and in control. But he’s neither, and acting totally reactionary.

Heeke would be better served letting the NCAA guide his hand. Just don’t do a fucking thing until outside forces mandate it. Then if the NCAA fucksticks drop the hammer on us, fire anyone and everyone. Until then? Circle the goddamn wagons and shut your fucking mouth.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Haha,perfect Chi as always. Thx
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Was listening to a lawyers take on all this on Friday. I didn't like everything he said and think he didn't fully understand the situation but he did bring up with Phelps that UA has hired lawyers on this FBI stuff that have spent thousands of hours consulting and investigating. The lawyer on the radio said that there is no way Phelps is completely clean and there is no way that the lawyers hired by Arizona did not advise Arizona to cut ties with Phelps. At the least there is internal rules violated even if they aren't NCAA violations
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

It would be nice if ADs, and leadership positions in general, didn't feel some pressing need to "cement a legacy" by moving on the coaches they inherit at first opportunity. It's such a leadership trope that it is almost expected..."well, that wasn't his guy, so he took the chance to make his own hire."

Why? As a leader, you are supposed to be a talent evaluator. If you have talent when you get there, help that talent bloom. Some people will call you a coat tail grabber or weak or soft (I know this board has a serious issue with Livengood, but what he did was, largely, what he was supposed to do at that time...balance the budget, keep Lute happy). But if your program wins, you have done your job.

Seems Heeke came in the door trying to prove he was PAC 12/Power 5 worthy, didn't much care for the coaches in the two major sports that didn't genuflect to him right away, and allowed some personality issues (RichRod being a smarmy dick, Miller being very controlling) to get in the way of proper evaluation. RichRod was not doing great, but was it worth the buyout? We did everything we could to find something to fire him with for cause and couldn't.

Now, is using this questionable issue and the surrounding FBI stink (whether legit or not) with Miller to try to make a power play worth having your own coach in place? If you burn down the house to get it, your new coach won't win. So you will be the guy who canonized Miller and hired the next Ben Lindsey. Great job, Central Michigan.

I think the realization that, if there are serious issues, we are going down anyway, and we have a chance to keep winning in the near future with Miller and, maybe, come out the other end of this with less stink than many programs is driving the boosters to say "why do this now?" If the car is heading for the ramp over the gorge, you don't slam on the breaks as you drive onto the ramp. You are likely going to plunge to your death either way...gun it and see if you can't maybe clear the damn thing and survive. The time to stop was last year, if you truly think your coach is dirty and going to destroy the program. Not now...too late.

The NCAA is not going to go easy on you for firing Phelps and/or Miller at this point if there are major violations. That stop sign was run through when Pres Robbins backed the program last year.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

It is an amazing ability to be able to assign motive and intent to nebulous snippet of conversation that are neither clear nor unambiguous...Heeke said he supports Miller, Miller said he appreciates the support...THAT IS ALL WE FUCKING HAVE...

The narrative that Heeke is trying to railroad Miller out the exit is a completely made up narrative with no actual data points behind it....firing Phelps may actually be a support move by Heeke for all we know...but people are going to believe whatever they've made up their minds to believe in spite of the facts, we know this now...this is America...everyone has an opinion everyone has a different set of facts and everyone is right...SMH.

Data. Facts.Evidence.

For a society that prides itself in science and logic we seldom defer to the facts anymore.

The only facts we have point to Heeke supporting Miller...the rest is conjecture.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:It is an amazing ability to be able to assign motive and intent to nebulous snippet of conversation that are neither clear nor unambiguous...Heeke said he supports Miller, Miller said he appreciates the support...THAT IS ALL WE FUCKING HAVE...

The narrative that Heeke is trying to railroad Miller out the exit is a completely made up narrative with no actual data points behind it....firing Phelps may actually be a support move by Heeke for all we know...but people are going to believe whatever they've made up their minds to believe in spite of the facts, we know this now...this is America...everyone has an opinion everyone has a different set of facts and everyone is right...SMH.

Data. Facts.Evidence.

For a society that prides itself in science and logic we seldom defer to the facts anymore.

The only facts we have point to Heeke supporting Miller...the rest is conjecture.
Does it matter that Miller and Heeke both have body language of a hostage reading a letter about how well he's being treated while supporting each other?