let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

enfuego

Re: let's talk '19

Post by enfuego »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: On Randolph/Akot... just feels like we don't get guys like that to return often. Even one would be great.

There is also Thielmans and Smith. Although I wonder if Smith would be graduate transfer candidate.
1/2 Brandon Williams 6'1" 175 So
1/2 Alex Barcello 6'2 190 Jr
2/3 Devonair Doutrive 6'5" 175 So
2/3 Dylan Smith 6'5" 200 Rssr
3/4 Omar Thielmans 6'7" 200 So
4/5 Ira Lee 6'7" 235 jr
4/5 Stone Gettings 6'9 235 Sr
5 Chase Jeter 6'10 240 RsSr
Damn, totally forgot about Smith and Thielmans. I'll blame it on the dead offseason board.

Yeah, we have enough returning depth that two high level freshmen is plenty. Randolph and Akot...they might go, but I'm not sure it's a great decision. A lot depends on how they develop this year. They both have very high ceilings and NBA bodies, but we'll see.[/quote]

Is that your roster for this coming season? If so, you should not get your hopes up for making the NCAA tournament. The PAC is going to stink this season and may only get 3 bids and you're looking up at 7 right now.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That's the 2019/20 roster minus the top 10 class we'll have coming in.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yes Enfuego, we only have 8 players on roster.....schmuck.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ya know, given how many times we’ve started the season as a heavy favorite, it’ll be refreshing to be a little under the radar this year. The NCAA tourney is always overrun with such teams. There’s an upside to having lower expectations. This year’s roster isn’t filled with future pros, but we’ve got a nice blend of talent and experience. Sean’s gonna be fine. This team may not win a title, but they won’t disappoint either.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: On Randolph/Akot... just feels like we don't get guys like that to return often. Even one would be great.

There is also Thielmans and Smith. Although I wonder if Smith would be graduate transfer candidate.
1/2 Brandon Williams 6'1" 175 So
1/2 Alex Barcello 6'2 190 Jr
2/3 Devonair Doutrive 6'5" 175 So
2/3 Dylan Smith 6'5" 200 Rssr
3/4 Omar Thielmans 6'7" 200 So
4/5 Ira Lee 6'7" 235 jr
4/5 Stone Gettings 6'9 235 Sr
5 Chase Jeter 6'10 240 RsSr
Damn, totally forgot about Smith and Thielmans. I'll blame it on the dead offseason board.

Yeah, we have enough returning depth that two high level freshmen is plenty. Randolph and Akot...they might go, but I'm not sure it's a great decision. A lot depends on how they develop this year. They both have very high ceilings and NBA bodies, but we'll see.
Is that your roster for this coming season? If so, you should not get your hopes up for making the NCAA tournament. The PAC is going to stink this season and may only get 3 bids and you're looking up at 7 right now.[/quote]

No. Do they not have Google in Kansas? It looks like they have problems correctly quoting previous posts.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

FWIW Arizona picked up a couple of picks for Josh Green in the crystal ball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:FWIW Arizona picked up a couple of picks for Josh Green in the crystal ball.
He plays with Mannion too in AAU if I'm not mistaken.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:FWIW Arizona picked up a couple of picks for Josh Green in the crystal ball.
That's correct and they're absolutely filthy.

billk78

Post by billk78 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Don't tease me like that
:o
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah, that's how I learned of Josh Green. Who's that guy who finishes all Nico's passes in Ballislife videos?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Yeah, that's how I learned of Josh Green. Who's that guy who finishes all Nico's passes in Ballislife videos?
That's how I learned about Rawle. I was watching someone else on Ballislife and saw a Rawle highlight - some nasty crossover leading to a baseline dunk and thought "we've got to get this dude." That was like December of '15 and somehow my wish came true.

Here's hoping you get your wish, Spiff.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Yeah, that's how I learned of Josh Green. Who's that guy who finishes all Nico's passes in Ballislife videos?
That's how I learned about Rawle. I was watching someone else on Ballislife and saw a Rawle highlight - some nasty crossover leading to a baseline dunk and thought "we've got to get this dude." That was like December of '15 and somehow my wish came true.

Here's hoping you get your wish, Spiff.
Mannion is my big wish. After years of worrying about pg, it would be so nice to have 2 good ones very capable of playing together or splitting time and both being great.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah, that's how I learned of Josh Green. Who's that guy who finishes all Nico's passes in Ballislife videos?
Lol you never heard of Green previously? The guy played with Ayton and we've been on him since he was a sophomore.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Lol you never heard of Green previously? The guy played with Ayton and we've been on him since he was a sophomore.
I usually don't follow recruiting tremendously until it gets close to commitment. Otherwise, I get my hopes up about sophomores and by the time they're seniors, who knows?

I sort of watch players, but I mainly care about the kids likely to come here and the ones with major potential. The earlier grades...a lot of prospects flame out or don't develop.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Josh Green just picked up an offer from UNC, which will make things much more difficult now.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Josh Green just picked up an offer from UNC, which will make things much more difficult now.
Choo are you pretty confident on Mannion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Josh Green just picked up an offer from UNC, which will make things much more difficult now.
Yes, but we're gonna have to wait.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

billk78 wrote:
Jason Scheer believes he will pick the UofA.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:
billk78 wrote:
Jason Scheer believes he will pick the UofA.
We're at 100% in his crystal ball.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... redictions" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
billk78 wrote:
I figure he is waiting because...well, he can, and there is the matter of wiretaps and just making sure things are clear?

And suddenly becoming the apple of a lot of big names' eyes?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
billk78 wrote:
I figure he is waiting because...well, he can, and there is the matter of wiretaps and just making sure things are clear?

And suddenly becoming the apple of a lot of big names' eyes?
Yes, he most certainly can. I think it's primarily to build the hype train, especially with the whole "Kentucky and UNC are calling now" crap.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

4 new Arizona crystal ball picks for Christian Koloko. Very likely the first member of this recruiting class.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:4 new Arizona crystal ball picks for Christian Koloko. Very likely the first member of this recruiting class.
Him and Mannion would be a fantastic start to the class...hope that’s the case.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:4 new Arizona crystal ball picks for Christian Koloko. Very likely the first member of this recruiting class.
Him and Mannion would be a fantastic start to the class...hope that’s the case.
Mannion won't happen until 2019, I'd expect we'd have a couple to a few already committed by then.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Anyone have a video link for him? I cannot find much on Youtube.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

https://247sports.com/Article/Christian ... -113365177" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ makes cut for Forward CJ Walker

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... is-florida" target="_blank
billk78

Post by billk78 »

azgreg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

https://247sports.com/Article/Christian ... -113365177" target="_blank
Wow he's very long and athletic. Seems like he would be a good defender.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Drew Timme has AZ in top 10

https://zonazealots.com/2018/08/03/ariz ... is-top-10/" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ offers 2019 Junior College forward

https://zonazealots.com/2018/08/04/ariz ... ward-2019/" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ makes cut for wing Terry Armstrong

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... -finalists" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

These 13 recruits are considering the Arizona Wildcats for 2019

Aug 5, 2018 Updated 2 hrs ago

Bruce Pascoe runs through 13 of the top recruits who Sean Miller and the Arizona Wildcats have offered for 2019.

As many top basketball recruiting prospects do now, Dallas-area four-star forward Drew Timme posted a top 10 on Twitter on Thursday, complete with logos of Arizona and the other nine schools he is considering.

During a travel-ball tournament in Las Vegas last month, Timme also said he was considering the same sort of things many top prospects are, too.

“Versatility within the program, education is obviously important, and the relationship with the coaching staff,” Timme said. “Those are the things I’m looking for.”

In the back of his mind, there's one other thing Timme is considering: Whether any NCAA issues could result from the federal investigation into college basketball. The scandal has touched three of the schools on Timme’s list: Arizona, Alabama and Louisville.

“Yeah, I want to go to the (NCAA) Tournament, you know?” Timme said. "That’s what I want: March Madness. That’s obviously quite a factor.”

However, most of the UA targets the Star talked to in Las Vegas said the investigation was not a factor in their recruitments. Serbian big man Balsa Koprivica says he is not really concerned, despite having been thrown into the issue himself.

A 7-footer once regarded as a top-10 prospect in the class of 2019, Koprivica was held out at Windermere Prep early last season after his name was connected to the investigation.

The director of Koprivica's travel-ball club, Brad Augustine, was arrested on wire fraud charges after the FBI said he was handed $12,700 as part of a scheme to direct Koprivica to Louisville. Koprivica denied ever receiving any money, and the charges against Augustine were later dropped. Koprvica later transferred to Montverde Academy.

Now, Gonzaga, Baylor and Florida State are chasing Koprivica the most, according to Zagsblog, while Koprivaca told the Star that Arizona still calls him every few days.

“I know I’ll probably be safe,” Koprivica said. “If a school is in any trouble, I’m not going to go to that school.”

Meanwhile, UA coaches' communication about the issue may be helping the Wildcats in their recruitment of Minnesota four-star forward Zeke Nnaji.

“We talked about it,” Nnaji said of the UA staff. “They apologized and stuff like that. They explained everything, and that’s not a concern of ours.”

For players in the class of 2020, it may be even less so. The investigation’s effects, if any, could be clear by the time those players reach college — and there’s still a small chance the NBA will begin allowing players to jump directly from high school by then, anyway.

Two five-star 2020 players, Seattle guard MarJon Beauchamp and Fresno guard Jalen Green, told the Star that the investigation and potential changes from it are not a concern in their recruitments.

“That’s on the NBA and colleges; I’m not really keeping up with it,” Green said. "I’m just gonna keep hooping.”

Here’s a look at the recruitments of top UA 2019 targets heading into the fall recruiting season. All player comments are from interviews with the Star in Las Vegas last month unless noted:

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... ac1.html#1" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Would love to hear the info our coaches share with these recruits. Can't wait for Miller to call a TO on DICK Vitale and his cronies with .02 on the clock on ESPIN when he is fully vindicated and show up those POS
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

This boy Nico is COLD.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:This boy Nico is COLD.
I get so excited at the thought of him and BWill together.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh

Post by prh »

Thoughts YDF? Watching that video is interesting, looks like a lot of high school highlights where the player is just so physically advanced compared to everyone else. But he makes lots of passes you see at NBA level and not HS. Plus, seeing a bounce pass to a rolling big followed by that dunk (which was not what I thought was about to happen)-- well ok that's enough reason for me to be optimistic.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote:Thoughts YDF? Watching that video is interesting, looks like a lot of high school highlights where the player is just so physically advanced compared to everyone else. But he makes lots of passes you see at NBA level and not HS. Plus, seeing a bounce pass to a rolling big followed by that dunk (which was not what I thought was about to happen)-- well ok that's enough reason for me to be optimistic.
Yeah that pretty well hits my evaluation based on limited footage. The competition is pretty bad, but you can see a lot of fluidity and vision that are unique for a player his size (6'10"). Obviously needs to put on more weight and get the release point of his shot way higher to compete against D1 athletes.

Mostly it's two things that I'm excited for here: 1) to continue to grab European talent, so hoping that trend continues (if not here, then with others); 2) I'm excited to get players who are wired to move the ball. Miller's motion offense doesn't work like it should if players aren't moving the ball. That jazz-like feel, comfort, and togetherness doesn't happen when the ball sticks. The more all of that works, the better the offense gets as the season progresses. So more players that are wired to pass - as well as this transition that Miller is talking about towards a more guard centered offense - will fuel the offense in a big way.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Probably very poor odds he ever plays college ball.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I was going to say: "I usually defer to Choo for these matters, however."
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Mannion narrows it down to Arizona, Duke, Nova, and Marquette.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Mannion narrows it down to Arizona, Duke, Nova, and Marquette.
Good news is all those schools are far away.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think Nico really wants to be an AZ Wildcat. It's pretty special that he's got offers from Duke and Nova.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I wish him the best at UNC.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:I wish him the best at UNC.
You’re calling it a done deal just like that ?!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I wish him the best at UNC.
You’re calling it a done deal just like that ?!
It's not a done done deal or anything, but Arizona has been on him since he stepped foot in the country, which was years ago, UNC merely offered him a week or so ago and they stole all momentum in the recruitment with a snap of Roy "Thanos" Williams's finger. It'll be Arizona or UNC, but the odds don't sit in our favor at the moment.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Damn. That UNC "pull" is no joke. Seems like they don't lose too many.