let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '19

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:Anytime I see a player inadvertently step out of bounds I think of Mustafa...
Every time a guard overpenetrates and gets stuck 10-12 feet from the basket and has to pivot searching for a passing lane, I think of Mustafa.
Every time I see an Arizona player average 7 assists a game, I think of Staf.

Yeah, haven’t really been thinking about him.....
Mustafa put up decent numbers on teams that badly needed a leader and squandered a lot of talent. That 7 assists was his senior year only, which was a massively disappointing year. He pulled off a rare feat in progressively getting worse in 3 point shooting every single year.

Mustafa did some good things, but I fully understand why a lot of people view him as a symbol of a lot of the decline of Arizona. And don't bring up his crunch time play vs Illinois.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Miller had an in-home with Nico today. Will have one with Terry Armstrong tomorrow.
Choo do you think Nico's timeline has moved up, to where he actually might be our first commit in the class of 2018?
Yes.
Fwiw I'm going to backtrack on this, because Christian Koloko will be visiting next weekend, and I don't foresee it taking long after.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Miller had an in-home with Nico today. Will have one with Terry Armstrong tomorrow.
Choo do you think Nico's timeline has moved up, to where he actually might be our first commit in the class of 2018?
Yes.
Fwiw I'm going to backtrack on this, because Christian Koloko will be visiting next weekend, and I don't foresee it taking long after.
What do you think of Koloko as a prospect?

From the tape I've seen, he looks very developmental. Right now, ai don't think he's strong or athletic enough to make an impact until he's had a year or two in a good S&C program.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Yes.
What do you think of Koloko as a prospect?

From the tape I've seen, he looks very developmental. Right now, ai don't think he's strong or athletic enough to make an impact until he's had a year or two in a good S&C program.
I agree. He should be good as a defender immediately due to length and his block anticipation skills, but also he's certainly in line to get bullied due to the lack of strength, so due to that his minutes will be limited. In general what it appears to me is from this point on Arizona will employ more of a perimeter attack on offense and anything that happens in the low post will be more put backs and easy opportunities than anything, so finding a long shot blocker to man the 5 long term is key. I can't envision a world where Jeter isn't back next year, so Koloko would be good for spot minutes backing him up, getting stronger, and learning the system. Another words he's more than fine for what this team will need next year and he has a very high ceiling, so he's absolutely worth taking.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just a FYI, but October 5th weekend will be as big of a visit weekend for us as the Red/Blue weekend will be. Lots of guys coming in those days.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: In general what it appears to me is from this point on Arizona will employ more of a perimeter attack on offense and anything that happens in the low post will be more put backs and easy opportunities than anything, so finding a long shot blocker to man the 5 long term is key.
That Houston Rockets offense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: In general what it appears to me is from this point on Arizona will employ more of a perimeter attack on offense and anything that happens in the low post will be more put backs and easy opportunities than anything, so finding a long shot blocker to man the 5 long term is key.
That Houston Rockets offense.
At a bare minimum, Miller appears committed to recruiting multiple PG's hard, which I love. It gives flexibility and a margin for error we haven't had.

In terms of use of the 5, that can vary team to team based on composition. If we get a chance at another Ayton, we need to take it and use him as a primary offensive option.

Having multiple PG's in the rotation along with shooters transforms the rest of our options so much. The PJC only strategy really limited us.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: At a bare minimum, Miller appears committed to recruiting multiple PG's hard, which I love. It gives flexibility and a margin for error we haven't had.

In terms of use of the 5, that can vary team to team based on composition. If we get a chance at another Ayton, we need to take it and use him as a primary offensive option.

Having multiple PG's in the rotation along with shooters transforms the rest of our options so much. The PJC only strategy really limited us.
Agreed agreed agreed.

I'm 100% on board with a two ball handler offense, playing both together at times and staggering them at other times. That's the key to a modern offense. Shooters provide spacing and then you can pick how big or small you play in the post based on team comp and opponent.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Last edited by Main Event on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

And boom goes the dynamite!

The Ginja Ninja
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Weeee
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Yes.
I retract my backtrack lol
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

My heart is fucking PUMPING

Y'ALL

BACK TO BACK FIVE STAR POINT GUARDS

Y'ALL

POINT GUARD U
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Barcello, Williams, Nico... best backcourt in America.

Any other ball players want to come play with the best guards in America? COME ON DOWN
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

azgreg wrote:

Awesome news!

“I feel like I’m a high IQ player and a good decision maker,” Mannion said. “Coach Miller said they’re going to change their style of play this year and next year. In the past they have had two big which slowed them down, but now you can tell who they’re recruiting too, they’re recruiting a lot more guards and play four out and one in and just run.”

https://247sports.com/college/basketbal ... 121856812/" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Miller finally has a true PG. This is big stuff.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

And its officially basketball season!!!!!

First off monster commit

Secondly, if Miller does change up their style of play to what many of us have wanted...

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Just a reminder that Greg Hansen is an idiot.

-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just a reminder.
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

I like where the staff is taking the offense. Please get back to blowing the doors off teams.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I've posted a lot of my positives for Mannion before, but he can distribute, shoot, is a larger pg but still quick and athletic and has noticeably developed his game over the past few years. He is as close to college ready as you'll see at his age.

I am very excited to see him step in alongside Williams. The side effect of the maturity of his game is I have no doubt he'll blend well.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azgreg wrote:Just a reminder.
Hansen notably quiet right now.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Hansen notably quiet right now.

Well in his defense it is dinner time at the senior living center.
-JB
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I have a difficult time figuring out who I hate more Greg Hansen or Dick Vitale. It is really tough
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
billk78

Post by billk78 »

I have a good feeling about Josh Green. I have no inside info. But a gut feeling. Maybe I'm wrong. But he has played w Nico, is visiting with him for Red Blue game, and has been in touch with Ayton often. I know a lot of people think he's going elsewhere but I'm thinking pretty positively on this one.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

How many scholarships should we have to give out for next year?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I think we have 3 as of now left to give for 2019 after Mannion committing. Only 2 seniors on the team this year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
GTownCat

Post by GTownCat »

Nice pick up!!!!

However, does Barcello skate after this year then?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:I have a good feeling about Josh Green. I have no inside info. But a gut feeling. Maybe I'm wrong. But he has played w Nico, is visiting with him for Red Blue game, and has been in touch with Ayton often. I know a lot of people think he's going elsewhere but I'm thinking pretty positively on this one.
Regardless what the crystal ball is saying it's a legit toss up between Arizona and UNC. We have the much longer relationship with him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

VegasCatFan wrote:How many scholarships should we have to give out for next year?
I expect a 4 man class, 5 if you include Stone Gettings.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:There's this one. https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?PHPSE ... 8207.14725" target="_blank
ASUHATER! wrote:This one has some posts in the last day
https://247sports.com/college/marquette ... ps-104085/" target="_blank
Read through these boards last night. Posts can be summed up as:

“I just went on Ancestry.com and found out Nico’s great great great x8 uncle on his dad’s side was a northern Wisconsin trapper prior to the Louisiana Purchase, so it’s a lock he’s going to commit to Marq..... Wait, WTF? He didn’t even visit??”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Nico Mannion & Josh Green BEST Duo in AAU?!?
Courtside Films
Published on Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVGsyp1KTzQ" target="_blank
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

HiCat wrote:Nico Mannion & Josh Green BEST Duo in AAU?!?
Courtside Films
Published on Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVGsyp1KTzQ" target="_blank
Green is a talented flyer. Fast, pretty quick, good balance, hands, feet; good court awareness; and his obvious leap. But what impressed me most in the context of our potential with him was his terrific smoothness in coordinating with Nicco. Those guys belong together, and I'm fantasizing the two combining with Williams.

Shit, an exceptional guard combo with depth, two tough rim protection types, and Akot and Randolph to interact and provide value both outside and inside!

And of major consequence, three top backcourt guys---- including a pure PG---- to act as honey to attract a couple more frontcourt players. Prospective bigs are always on special lookout for elite distributors to join, huh?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

My ideal roster:
1/2 Brandon Williams 6'1" 175 So
1/2 Alex Barcello 6'2 190 Jr
1/2 Nico Manion 6'3" 180 FR

2/3 Brandon Randolph 6'6"180 Jr
2/3 Devonair Doutrive 6'5" 175 So

3/4 Emmanuel Akot 6'7" 190 Jr
3/4 Omar Thielmans 6'7" 200 So
3 Terry Armstrong 6'6 185 Fr

4 Ira Lee 6'7" 235 jr
4/5 Zeke Nnaji 6'10 215 Fr
4/5 Stone Gettings 6'9 235 Sr

5 Chase Jeter 6'10 240 RsSr
5 Christian Koloko 7' 195 Fr

Backcourt: I would love to have boogie and he may very well end up on the roster (and be a better choice), but I value continuity and experience. I think Barcello if he sticks around could/will provide both.

Wing: Again, would love to have Green, but can't see Green committing with Randolph/Akot on the roster. That is ALOT of wing talent battling for minutes and again I value continuity and experience. Especially when it is talented like Randolph/Akot. Unless Smith sees 20+ minutes/game this year, I have a hard time finding a scenario where Smith does not GT. Not sure armstrong would come for the same reason above, however, there will be alot of PT available on the wing in '20/21 w/ likely only doutrive and thielmans.

Frontcourt: ton of versatility and feel like Nnaji's skill set fits in the best of the group we are chasing (mcdaniels, Walker, Robinson-Earl).

That is a full roster of which I can not remember the last time we had 13 scholarships given. Plus most of the roster could be gone and CSM may value an open spot for a transfer. So it is likely it does not materialize.

Be that as it may, I would like to see this group suit up.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Feels like we lead for Terry? I would love that, think he’s a stud. Love the quality and quantity of wings we have been targeting. Sean seems to be putting his money where his mouth is in changing to a more modern style.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:Feels like we lead for Terry? I would love that, think he’s a stud. Love the quality and quantity of wings we have been targeting. Sean seems to be putting his money where his mouth is in changing to a more modern style.
Question is would he still come if we landed Green too?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:Feels like we lead for Terry? I would love that, think he’s a stud. Love the quality and quantity of wings we have been targeting. Sean seems to be putting his money where his mouth is in changing to a more modern style.
If it’s an either/or situation, then I think it’s a win-win. Wonder what the timeline on each of their commitments is though...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
If it’s an either/or situation, then I think it’s a win-win. Wonder what the timeline on each of their commitments is though...
Green doesn't care, he knows he's starting right away. Armstrong may care, I don't know. They're both ending their recruitments in the next couple of months.
GTownCat

Post by GTownCat »

baycat93 wrote:My ideal roster:
1/2 Brandon Williams 6'1" 175 So
1/2 Alex Barcello 6'2 190 Jr
1/2 Nico Manion 6'3" 180 FR

2/3 Brandon Randolph 6'6"180 Jr
2/3 Devonair Doutrive 6'5" 175 So

3/4 Emmanuel Akot 6'7" 190 Jr
3/4 Omar Thielmans 6'7" 200 So
3 Terry Armstrong 6'6 185 Fr

4 Ira Lee 6'7" 235 jr
4/5 Zeke Nnaji 6'10 215 Fr
4/5 Stone Gettings 6'9 235 Sr

5 Chase Jeter 6'10 240 RsSr
5 Christian Koloko 7' 195 Fr

Backcourt: I would love to have boogie and he may very well end up on the roster (and be a better choice), but I value continuity and experience. I think Barcello if he sticks around could/will provide both.

Wing: Again, would love to have Green, but can't see Green committing with Randolph/Akot on the roster. That is ALOT of wing talent battling for minutes and again I value continuity and experience. Especially when it is talented like Randolph/Akot. Unless Smith sees 20+ minutes/game this year, I have a hard time finding a scenario where Smith does not GT. Not sure armstrong would come for the same reason above, however, there will be alot of PT available on the wing in '20/21 w/ likely only doutrive and thielmans.

Frontcourt: ton of versatility and feel like Nnaji's skill set fits in the best of the group we are chasing (mcdaniels, Walker, Robinson-Earl).

That is a full roster of which I can not remember the last time we had 13 scholarships given. Plus most of the roster could be gone and CSM may value an open spot for a transfer. So it is likely it does not materialize.

Be that as it may, I would like to see this group suit up.
I really hope Barcello stays, here's to hoping he gets a lot of play and shows improvement.

That being said i think it'd be cool to have him & Nico on the roster, local talent. When's the last time we had multiple local AZ kids IN the rotation? (throw in Lee there too since he's from Glendale, just went to HS in cali).
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Koloko visit this weekend...hopefully the 2nd commit in our 2019 class.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

2019 wing Jalen Hill commits to Oklahoma... wonder if that cuts Terry Armstrong's list to three.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:Koloko visit this weekend...hopefully the 2nd commit in our 2019 class.
Count on it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Anyone watched the Iverson Molinar kid we apparently offered? Not sure what I think.

https://youtu.be/acBNlZUUUpA" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Anyone watched the Iverson Molinar kid we apparently offered? Not sure what I think.

Peach Jam was his coming out party and apparently he's gotten a lot better from the video you posted. I know he's a backup option, but I dont know if he's a backup option to Boogie Ellis or Green and Armstrong. What I mean by that is I'm not sure if Miller is determined to have a combo guard on the roster at all costs or not. If Miller is then he's a backup for Boogie and he's a serious target and if he's not then he's just insurance for the wings, which makes him not a serious target.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Anyone watched the Iverson Molinar kid we apparently offered? Not sure what I think.

Peach Jam was his coming out party and apparently he's gotten a lot better from the video you posted. I know he's a backup option, but I dont know if he's a backup option to Boogie Ellis or Green and Armstrong. What I mean by that is I'm not sure if Miller is determined to have a combo guard on the roster at all costs or not. If Miller is then he's a backup for Boogie and he's a serious target and if he's not then he's just insurance for the wings, which makes him not a serious target.
Yeah, he seems like a developmental prospect. It was the only video I could really find that showcased him. I was interested to see his name pop up at this point in the process, as far along as we are with our other targets.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Yeah, he seems like a developmental prospect. It was the only video I could really find that showcased him. I was interested to see his name pop up at this point in the process, as far along as we are with our other targets.
That's why I think he's a Boogie backup, because this visit by Miller and offer came roughly around the time Duke started getting involved with Boogie.