let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '19

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:Damn...gotta hope we land one of our big time targets at PF now. Either that or likely another grad transfer I’d think?
We already have a transfer who for all intents and purposes is a grad transfer 4.
Right but do you think we would go into 2019 with just Jeter, Gettings, and Lee as “bigs”? I would think Miller would not be comfortable going into the year with just those three, and that’s assuming no turnover b/n Jeter and Lee. I would be fine with just those three tbh particularly if Akot stays and can play a lot of time at the 4 as well. But the Miller I know probably wouldn’t be?
There's Koloko too, although I doubt he's ready as a freshman. I think we'd like another guy to be comfortable, but a significant portion of that revolves around how Lee and Thielmans develop and whether Akot stays.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:Damn...gotta hope we land one of our big time targets at PF now. Either that or likely another grad transfer I’d think?
We already have a transfer who for all intents and purposes is a grad transfer 4.
Right but do you think we would go into 2019 with just Jeter, Gettings, and Lee as “bigs”? I would think Miller would not be comfortable going into the year with just those three, and that’s assuming no turnover b/n Jeter and Lee. I would be fine with just those three tbh particularly if Akot stays and can play a lot of time at the 4 as well. But the Miller I know probably wouldn’t be?
There's Koloko too, although I doubt he's ready as a freshman. I think we'd like another guy to be comfortable, but a significant portion of that revolves around how Lee and Thielmans develop and whether Akot stays.
Theielemans or Akot is who I was getting at in regards to an athlete with size.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
100% this makes sense. Forgot about Koloko but yes I would doubt he plays much if at all freshmen year. Fingers crossed Akot improves a lot but not enough to leave after this year haha any practice reports yet on Thielemans? I’m super intrigued with him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
100% this makes sense. Forgot about Koloko but yes I would doubt he plays much if at all freshmen year. Fingers crossed Akot improves a lot but not enough to leave after this year haha any practice reports yet on Thielemans? I’m super intrigued with him.
I wouldn't expect Thielemans to play much this year at the moment. Doesn't mean anything about his future though.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Yeah not surprised he won’t play much this year but hoping he shows a lot of long term potential in practices and whatnot this year.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Until I see what Miller has in store offensively (meaning I doubt it changes too much), my hope is that if we are mirroring any type of offense, we should be getting our guards moving off the ball, keep the floor spread, let the guards attack on the move (See Brad Stevens). To me, its the least invasive wrinkle to what Miller already runs in his motion offense.

I was asking for this to help Trier for two years. Tell me that wouldnt benefit guys like Randolph and Williams.

Obviously, I would love to see more wings with some creation tools, not to mention an actual vertical spacing threat and hard dives out of the PNR, but that is probably pushing it too far right now.
Last edited by TucsonClip on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting to hear Miller say he expects to sign 5 or 6 guys this year. I didn't think they had that kind of numbers available
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Re: Thielemans, Miller called him a project player right now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Interesting to hear Miller say he expects to sign 5 or 6 guys this year. I didn't think they had that kind of numbers available
Coleman, Luther, Desjardins scholy back, a transfer or 2, and maybe an early entry.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Gotcha Choo but I couldn't think or suspect who might transfer and who thinks they.might be league ready
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Gotcha Choo but I couldn't think or suspect who might transfer and who thinks they.might be league ready
Once the season starts chugging along the transfer candidates will be obvious.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Gotcha Choo but I couldn't think or suspect who might transfer and who thinks they.might be league ready
I've said it before but I would guess at least one of Lee, Barcello, and Smith transfer out after this year. Those to me seem to be the three most likely options. Would guess one/two of Jeter, Williams, Randolph, and Akot goes pro as well? I would guess we have the two grad transfers plus three draft/transfer departures after this year. Which I'm guessing is why we are aiming for a class of 5 or 6.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I've said it before but I would guess at least one of Lee, Barcello, and Smith transfer out after this year. Those to me seem to be the three most likely options. Would guess one/two of Jeter, Williams, Randolph, and Akot goes pro as well? I would guess we have the two grad transfers plus three draft/transfer departures after this year. Which I'm guessing is why we are aiming for a class of 5 or 6.
I agree on transfer options, although I think we need Lee substantially more than Smith and Barcello next year as the roster will likely be composed.

I would be pleasantly surprised if we had a player produce at a level that would make them draftable. Of course, someone could leave to not be drafted, but I'm not 100% any of the guys you named besides Jeter even has a starting spot locked down now.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'd sure hate to see either of Lee or Barcello transfer - both of those seem like guys you can use in their third and fourth year playing. Both were clearly not up to speed last season and hopefully get enough burn this year to take a sizable step forward.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I agree on transfer options, although I think we need Lee substantially more than Smith and Barcello next year as the roster will likely be composed.

I would be pleasantly surprised if we had a player produce at a level that would make them draftable. Of course, someone could leave to not be drafted, but I'm not 100% any of the guys you named besides Jeter even has a starting spot locked down now.
Smith is the most obvious choice as he could grad transfer and wouldn't have to sit out. His role would ultimately dictate what happens there of course. For going pro Randolph is the most likely candidate due to what his role will be mixed with his measurables.

Gotta see how the season plays out of course, but I'd be surprised if we have 6 openings. 5 sounds much more realistic, which IMO leads to a 4 man HS class along with a traditional transfer.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Smith is the most obvious choice as he could grad transfer and wouldn't have to sit out. His role would ultimately dictate what happens there of course. For going pro Randolph is the most likely candidate due to what his role will be mixed with his measurables.

Gotta see how the season plays out of course, but I'd be surprised if we have 6 openings. 5 sounds much more realistic, which IMO leads to a 4 man HS class along with a traditional transfer.
I wonder how Miller manages or balances motivating/demoralizing players with comments about recruiting. "We're going to take five guys [when we have three scholarships available]" could be a subtext of "we've got guys who will be good enough to go pro" or "we've got guys who need to get out of the way, they're not producing here."

Not really an insightful question or one that anyone can answer, just an interesting opportunity/conflict that recruiting forces.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: Smith is the most obvious choice as he could grad transfer and wouldn't have to sit out. His role would ultimately dictate what happens there of course. For going pro Randolph is the most likely candidate due to what his role will be mixed with his measurables.

I wonder how Miller manages or balances motivating/demoralizing players with comments about recruiting. "We're going to take five guys [when we have three scholarships available]" could be a subtext of "we've got guys who will be good enough to go pro" or "we've got guys who need to get out of the way, they're not producing here."

Not really an insightful question or one that anyone can answer, just an interesting opportunity/conflict that recruiting forces.
Unless the mindset of basketball players has changed since the late 90's and early 00's when I played, no player thinks they'll get overtaken by recruits.

I've never met a basketball player that didn't think he was the best for his position. You could have me going against prime LeBron and I'd be talking about how I could knock down the J more consistently if I got his spot.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We weren't involved, but this is an impressive get for NC State:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... len-lecque" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Josh Green announcing his commitment tomorrow.
Ih8assu

Post by Ih8assu »

ChooChooCat wrote:Josh Green announcing his commitment tomorrow.
Odd timing....choo do you have a gut feeling?
"A year ago, the best perimeter player came to McKale, we gave him some milk and cookies, rubbed his belly & made sure he had wide open shots. If he missed, we'd even pass it back to him and see if he could break scoring records." S. Miller
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ih8assu wrote:
Odd timing....choo do you have a gut feeling?
If he hadn't been to Arizona a bunch of times prior he'd obviously be a for sure UNC commit. I assume now that he's been to UNC he can compare that to his Arizona visits and he knows which one of the two he wants to go to and the Red/Blue game visit doesn't matter either way.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Well, that's a little out of nowhere. Fingers crossed...we'll see.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Nico with the shrug emoji
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Emoji translation is a core curriculum class for recruiting analysts.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Big crystal ball picks just came in for Arizona.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

It's happening I think
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Big crystal ball picks just came in for Arizona.

Any chance someone knows how to sub in Wilbur for the eagle and an A flag?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I bet Irish could do it
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Is this possible
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Amazing. National title contenders next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Is this possible
Now it's just a matter if Arizona can convince Armstrong to come along too.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Is this possible
That would be so nasty. Probably best we get a PF/C with a seven foot wingspan - 2020 we'll be without Jeter / Luther / Gettings... with only Lee as an experienced post player.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Is this possible
That would be so nasty. Probably best we get a PF/C with a seven foot wingspan - 2020 we'll be without Jeter / Luther / Gettings... with only Lee as an experienced post player.
That's on the 2020 class or a 2019 transfer to fix. The 2019-2020 team will likely include all 3 of Jeter/Gettings/Lee along with Koloko and any big 3 man (Akot/Thielemans) that's left over.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Yeah I'm just worried about having an experienced big rather than a raw young big man. A grad transfer or some stellar five star would fix those concerns.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Yeah I'm just worried about having an experienced big rather than a raw young big man. A grad transfer or some stellar five star would fix those concerns.
Maybe we can still pull someone like Nnaji. Another 4 star 4 man in 2019 would do nicely.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Yeah I'm just worried about having an experienced big rather than a raw young big man. A grad transfer or some stellar five star would fix those concerns.
Maybe we can still pull someone like Nnaji. Another 4 star 4 man in 2019 would do nicely.
I am thinking a traditional transfer like Jeter might be the most preferable in '19
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Stone Gettings is that grad transfer. You're thinking a year ahead brother.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I am thinking a traditional transfer like Jeter might be the most preferable in '19
That is probably the course of action Arizona takes unless it can convince Nnaji to say no to Kansas.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
That is probably the course of action Arizona takes unless it can convince Nnaji to say no to Kansas.
You think Nnaji is really the only big that we have a chance with in 2019? I think the frontcourt is the only concern next year if Green does commit tomorrow, we would definitely need Jeter to stay to be national title contenders, unless we can snag Nnaji or another high level big.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
You think Nnaji is really the only big that we have a chance with in 2019? I think the frontcourt is the only concern next year if Green does commit tomorrow, we would definitely need Jeter to stay to be national title contenders, unless we can snag Nnaji or another high level big.
I don't know Jeter leaves unless he shocks the world with his play this year. I like his upside, but he averaged 2 and 2 for Duke.

Akot returning or Thielmans developing would be a big assist. If they were ready to give minutes, Jeter, Lee and Gettings fills out a reasonable 4/5 rotation.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I don't see a world where Jeter leaves after this season. If he does though we'll go the grad transfer route, but I wouldn't be concerned with that at all. I don't see any current frontcourt targets that Arizona has a real shot at outside of Nnaji, and I honestly doubt he makes it off the Kansas campus without a commitment. Arizona's next 4/5 recruit in this class is very likely to be a traditional transfer unless something unforeseen happens.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Thanks Choo, makes sense. So likely we get Green's commitment tomorrow, ideally Armstrong to commit in the near future as well, and then we can sit back and wait for a transfer that would make sense to pursue for the frontcourt...that sounds good to me.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Yeah Choo my worry is the year after 19 - talking 2020, who is our front court? I know its a ways out, but having an experienced post player to play tough and smart down low is immensely helpful for our defense.

Thinking we'll have Lee as a senior and Koloko as a ready to play sophomore. Add a five star or a grad transfer + a combo forward like Thielemans or Akot sticking around and we're all good.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Good prediction Choo (crossing fingers too)

Arizona has always been there,” Green has said previously. “I personally believe that any school who has recruited you for three years means a lot. Arizona obviously has a great relationship with me. It shows that they have trust in me I think.

“A program like that could have switched out quickly and focused on new recruits, but they’ve stuck with me and our relationship has been great because of it.

“They’re trying hard to get me and I think the efforts show a lot about who they are as a program and who they want in their program.”

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... 122846595/" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Yeah Choo my worry is the year after 19 - talking 2020, who is our front court? I know its a ways out, but having an experienced post player to play tough and smart down low is immensely helpful for our defense.

Thinking we'll have Lee as a senior and Koloko as a ready to play sophomore. Add a five star or a grad transfer + a combo forward like Thielemans or Akot sticking around and we're all good.
Yeah man you're playing chess and thinking two moves ahead. We'll get there brother, don't worry.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I thought we were in on Drew Timme as well, is that no longer an option?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I thought we were in on Drew Timme as well, is that no longer an option?
I wouldn't count on it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone know what time Green is announcing?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone know what time Green is announcing?
He said 24 hours at 11am yesterday our time...

So...11a MST?