let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

goslingswagg

Re: let's talk '19

Post by goslingswagg »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I don’t fully understand the need for a 5 if Jeter comes back. That would mean basically 3 players (Ira, Gettings, Nnaji) for the PF spot...just seems like having 4 bigs in the rotation is enough. I’d rather get a wing shooter.
I fail to see how having 3 guys best suited to play the 4 helps us with depth at the 5 sling? Do you trust Jeter to not get hurt and/or play through pain? Jeter gets hurt then you probably start Nnaji at the 5 and you have a 6'7 effort guy and another Ryan Luther type as your only other options if Jeter is out.
I 100% get where you are coming from with Jeter's injury issues, but I guess I see Nnaji as fully capable of playing the 5? Feel like he is best suited as a modern 5 that can switch defensively, decent rebounder, can stretch the floor a bit, etc. I feel like he's big enough, no? I'm also on "Jeter can play the 5" island but I guess I understand why others may disagree. Just feel like pretty much every other top tier program would be perfectly content with 4 bigs in their rotation...but I think Miller is an anomaly in how much he loves playing big compared to other similar caliber coaches. And I think my feelings on this are impacted by my macro view on Miller, and his propensity to play big is one of my biggest gripes with him, and I think a primary cause of under-performance in tournaments the last few years.

I think a combo guard that can shoot and defend at a high level would be my #1 need - that to me is a perfect guy to bring off the bench behind Nico/Bwill, and I feel confident that Smith and Randolph cannot provide that (and likely won't be here next year as a result). Jury is still out on DD in that regard - don't think his strengths align with that role, and he may want to play more mins than would be available to him next year.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

What do the following all have in common?

Gonzaga, UNC, Duke, Tenn, UK, MSU, UVA

The answer is why I am excited about next year.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Arizona offers big JUCO center

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... its-center" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:Arizona offers big JUCO center

This is the top JUCO option on our board, but he's not the only one.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Are we trying to get both Smits and the JUCO guy, or just whoever commits first?
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Arizona offers big JUCO center

This is the top JUCO option on our board, but he's not the only one.

Like Smits, he can't seem to stay on the floor either.

He's averaging 12.0 points, 9.6 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 18.8 minutes per game.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Are trying to get both Smits and the JUCO guy, or just whoever commits first?
Just one center.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Are trying to get both Smits and the JUCO guy, or just whoever commits first?
Just one center.
Ugboh’s tape looked interesting, seems like he’s improving rapidly. Don’t hate him as a 4th rotational big. Not sure he’s good enough to be Jeter’s replacement (if need be) though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Just one center.
Ugboh’s tape looked interesting, seems like he’s improving rapidly. Don’t hate him as a 4th rotational big. Not sure he’s good enough to be Jeter’s replacement (if need be) though.
If Jeter is out then you'd see Nnaji and this guy (if we land him) share time at the 5.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

azgreg wrote:
Saw his dad Rik Smits play at McKale Center in the first round of the NCAA tourney in 1987 vs. (drum roll) Pitt! No, Sean Miller wasn't on that team yet. Pitt crushed them and then lost a close one to Oklahoma.

That was the same regional where Arizona lost to UTEP in OT in the first round.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jeter and Lee went to Atlanta to watch Mannion and Green at the McD game. Ira put a pic up on IG of the 4 of them but the site was down before I could save it.

Good sign?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Jeter and Lee went to Atlanta to watch Mannion and Green at the McD game. Ira put a pic up on IG of the 4 of them but the site was down before I could save it.

Good sign?
Did they go on Mark Phelps's Visa?

If not, it definitely seems like good news. I'm happy to see returning guys welcoming in new guys, and happy to see one guy was Jeter.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Did they go on Mark Phelps's Visa?

If not, it definitely seems like good news. I'm happy to see returning guys welcoming in new guys, and happy to see one guy was Jeter.
Thats the first thing I thought of :lol: Southwest is about $350 round trip
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

What a shame, doubt we pursue him
Jordan Brown also went to Nevada to play 10 mins a game. Little went to UNC to play 18 mins a game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

NYCat wrote:What a shame, doubt we pursue him
Jordan Brown also went to Nevada to play 10 mins a game. Little went to UNC to play 18 mins a game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Why the hell not pursue him if their is mutual interest. He has to sit out a year anyway.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'd take him in a heartbeat, but I don't know if we still have attractive roster space.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

jajoyce wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Why the hell not pursue him if their is mutual interest. He has to sit out a year anyway.
The optics would literally be awful.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote: Jordan Brown also went to Nevada to play 10 mins a game. Little went to UNC to play 18 mins a game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What a colossally moronic decision by Brown. Roy was being Roy with Little, trying to make him stay for 3 years.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
jajoyce wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah. I think the Quinerly ship has sailed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
jajoyce wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah. I think the Quinerly ship has sailed.
It sailed, hit a rock, and sunk in the harbor. Also, the lifeboats were just cardboard cutouts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
jajoyce wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It obviously isn't about $ this time. This is our chance to redeem ourselves.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

IMO Well if there's interest from both sides why not? People are already looking at Arizona sideways so screw what they think.
Mike Luke's burner account.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

He'd just have to mature a lot or else the local media would be all over him.
Mike Luke's burner account.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

KillerKlown wrote:He'd just have to mature a lot or else the local media would be all over him.
If you're Sean Miller or Jahvon Quinerly you have to ask yourself is it worth the headache? Quinerly was a Book guy either way, so the primary connection is gone. Plus if he wasn't good or smart enough to play for Jay Wright last year is he worth the headache and risk at Arizona under Sean Miller? Eh.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
KillerKlown wrote:He'd just have to mature a lot or else the local media would be all over him.
If you're Sean Miller or Jahvon Quinerly you have to ask yourself is it worth the headache? Quinerly was a Book guy either way, so the primary connection is gone. Plus if he wasn't good or smart enough to play for Jay Wright last year is he worth the headache and risk at Arizona under Sean Miller? Eh.
Quinerly is talented and he would be eligible as a third year soph for us. I see him pretty similarly to Jeter. Struggles at your first big time program doesn't always indicate the talent won't later emerge.

Whether he's a fit for us roster wise or connections wise is another thing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think Quinerly is a solid "pass." There are other players out there. No need to invite further suspicion.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Quinerly is talented and he would be eligible as a third year soph for us. I see him pretty similarly to Jeter. Struggles at your first big time program doesn't always indicate the talent won't later emerge.

I don't think he's a fit Sean Miller wise is really my point. Add that to the headaches previously referred to and yeah...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I don't think he's a fit Sean Miller wise is really my point. Add that to the headaches previously referred to and yeah...
I don't know. I think a lot of that is because how poorly this year at Villanova went. Being a really highly rated kid, a lack of PT can lead to that.

The upside is a year to sit in a transfer situation can give a lot of perspective and maturity. The JQ at Villanova this year isn't the same mindset you get as a transfer in 20-21, at least not necessarily.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Poor kid got screwed just like we did. Mostly mentally as he was with a good program but he wanted to be st AZ and he was branded, just like us. Big weight to carry. Good luck kid, rooting for you to show them all
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The whole jelly fam kinda sucked except for Naz Reid. Probably shouldn't be going after the mixtape kids who don't know how to play. Guys like Seventh Woods absolutely suck
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Poor kid got screwed just like we did. Mostly mentally as he was with a good program but he wanted to be st AZ and he was branded, just like us. Big weight to carry. Good luck kid, rooting for you to show them all
That's why I don't really see him as a lost cause. He was pretty clear that he got forced to settle for a second choice school who buried him on the bench.

At 18, it's easy for that to spin into a bad mental place. A year to get your mind right (wherever he winds up) can change a lot of that. Also, if he came into college with delusions of grandeur, a lot of that can disappear.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jordan Brown on the transfer market now after making what was a colossally moronic recruiting decision in the first place. I think we can get him this time around if we try.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We'll probably land him
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Jordan Brown on the transfer market now after making what was a colossally moronic recruiting decision in the first place. I think we can get him this time around if we try.
So stupid, was Cal the runner up last time around or Arizona?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Jordan Brown on the transfer market now after making what was a colossally moronic recruiting decision in the first place. I think we can get him this time around if we try.
He would be a nice traditional transfer. Talent exists and we would get him as a third year junior after Jeter leaves, so a role naturally presents itself.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
So stupid, was Cal the runner up last time around or Arizona?
Arizona probably was, but Cal has a new coach, so who knows? UCLA also has a new coach too and obviously they were a factor in the original recruitment as well until they took Reef.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
He would be a nice traditional transfer. Talent exists and we would get him as a third year junior after Jeter leaves, so a role naturally presents itself.
Jeter, Gettings, and maybe Nnaji will all be gone, so yeah he'd fill a huge need.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Definitely want JB.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jeter, Gettings, and maybe Nnaji will all be gone, so yeah he'd fill a huge need.
Makes a ton of sense and I think would be a really smart addition for us. Somewhat Jeter-esque, although I'm hopeful Brown is a bigger talent than Jeter.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I always forget Gettings. Yeah, it's a nice combo of what he brings plus seeing the natural role open for him even if we just lose seniors.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He could theoretically be eligible immediately with the way the NCAA is clearing guys whose head coach left, so that could solve a perceived problem (if you think we really need another post).
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:He could theoretically be eligible immediately with the way the NCAA is clearing guys whose head coach left, so that could solve a perceived problem (if you think we really need another post).
I was gonna say - may be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer him not being eligible this next year so that we can have him for a full 3 years after next year. And I think our chances at landing him go down substantially if he is likely to be ruled eligible immediately because we just don't have the front court minutes available that he may be looking for...would think Cal would have plenty of mins available right away if that is priority #1 for him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:He could theoretically be eligible immediately with the way the NCAA is clearing guys whose head coach left, so that could solve a perceived problem (if you think we really need another post).
I was gonna say - may be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer him not being eligible this next year so that we can have him for a full 3 years after next year. And I think our chances at landing him go down substantially if he is likely to be ruled eligible immediately because we just don't have the front court minutes available that he may be looking for...would think Cal would have plenty of mins available right away if that is priority #1 for him.
1000% agree with you.

Btw some things about this entire situation that I absolutely love (inject it into my veins love):

1. Brown's circle had concerns about Sean Miller's job security at Arizona, meanwhile his 4 primary schools in his recruitment were Arizona, Cal, UCLA, & Nevada. Only school whose coach returned for the following season among that group? Arizona.
2. Brown was very likely headed for UCLA until Reef pulled out and Alford decided to grab him immediately.
3. Brown decided to transfer the second he heard Nevada was going to hire Alford, who obviously he doesn't like much after he chose Reef over him.

So much quality good shit in this situation, it's truly amazing looking at it all.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:...would think Cal would have plenty of mins available right away if that is priority #1 for him.
True...but Cal vs. AZ? That feels like a no brainer, but then, Ivan Rabb.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
It's not unpopular with me. Jeter is a good example of how a year's sitting means you can step in as a mainstay of the team. I'd rather have that, where we get an experienced starter from Day 1 instead of him being behind others.

Cal could give him more time, but the way they got spanked on a week to week basis...I wonder why a player would really want that. Brown could kill it at Cal and they might win 4 conference games with that roster. I was shocked at how little talent they had.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Brown coming here and sitting one year would solve the problem of the weak big men class in 2020
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:...would think Cal would have plenty of mins available right away if that is priority #1 for him.
Big thing for him was being close to home. Cal is close to home. If he qualified to get into Stanford he probably would've went there after UCLA decided to pass on him for Reef. Arizona already has a relationship built with him though, while this Cal staff would be starting from scratch, so we'll see.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Big thing for him was being close to home. Cal is close to home. If he qualified to get into Stanford he probably would've went there after UCLA decided to pass on him for Reef. Arizona already has a relationship built with him though, while this Cal staff would be starting from scratch, so we'll see.
Agreed. He was originally considering AZ, but the ESPN-driven Miller drama likely played a considerable role in his decision to go to Nevada. At this point, because of his relationship with AZ, and the fact that AZ subsequently put together a number one class, one suspects any concerns about AZ's stability should be alleviated moving forward. It would be a good pick-up for 2020.