let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by NYCat »

Is it the guy who committed to Cal then decommitted from Cal, and then committed another school but somehow still committed to Cal?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

NYCat wrote:Is it the guy who committed to Cal then decommitted from Cal, and then committed another school but somehow still committed to Cal?
:lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Big Armstrong fan... would be bummed if he's not on the roster this fall. It's unlikely he'd have the ability to start this season, but the following could be his chance to be a star.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Big Armstrong fan... would be bummed if he's not on the roster this fall. It's unlikely he'd have the ability to start this season, but the following could be his chance to be a star.
He has the tools. If he learned packline and plays smart, he would get PT this year and start next year.

But recruiting is an unstable game.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Big Armstrong fan... would be bummed if he's not on the roster this fall. It's unlikely he'd have the ability to start this season, but the following could be his chance to be a star.
He has the tools. If he learned packline and plays smart, he would get PT this year and start next year.

But recruiting is an unstable game.
Would have really liked to see the length of DD and Armstrong on the court together.
Williams
DD
Armstrong

A lot of defensive potential there.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ultimately if Armstrong wants any form of PT he would have to beat out Doutrive for it, because he's not beating out Green or Williams.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Devonaire was pretty bad defensively but he'll have to spell Green at the 3 if Armstrong leaves because no one else is above 6'3. Hopefully Green gets and stays healthy because that's exactly how X beat us. I wish Ira was more mobile since he's like 6'7 at best.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Ultimately if Armstrong wants any form of PT he would have to beat out Doutrive for it, because he's not beating out Green or Williams.
I like Doutrive, but it's not an impossible task. DD was not a lockdown defender. He will hopefully improve that and his J and turnovers, but he would have to improve those areas.

Armstrong could take minutes by D, shooting and ball security. Doutrive needs improvement in all three areas.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Ultimately if Armstrong wants any form of PT he would have to beat out Doutrive for it, because he's not beating out Green or Williams.
I like Doutrive, but it's not an impossible task. DD was not a lockdown defender. He will hopefully improve that and his J and turnovers, but he would have to improve those areas.

Armstrong could take minutes by D, shooting and ball security. Doutrive needs improvement in all three areas.
Armstrong needs improvement in literally the same 3 areas.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

C3, is the transfer a name we will all recognize?
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

What's changed for Armstrong since he committed? It all seemed very possible that Randolph, DD, Smith and Williams could return for at least another year. He committed after Green. Only thing that has happened since is us adding Hazzard to soak up more of the leftover time at the 2, but that is in exchange for either Smith or Randolph anyway.

He must've already known that his playing time this year would be very limited or none when he committed right?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I just mean that the PT is there. It isn't like if he had to try to beat out Nico or Green. If he was able to do it in these three areas, he can get time.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:What's changed for Armstrong since he committed? It all seemed very possible that Randolph, DD, Smith and Williams could return for at least another year. He committed after Green. Only thing that has happened since is us adding Hazzard to soak up more of the leftover time at the 2, but that is in exchange for either Smith or Randolph anyway.

He must've already known that his playing time this year would be very limited or none when he committed right?
Considering Armstrong can play the 2 as well, adding Hazzard effectively takes possible minutes away from him.

I think a lot of outside sources got to him either way. I'd be surprised if he sticks with us now, but it's still up in the air.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I just mean that the PT is there. It isn't like if he had to try to beat out Nico or Green. If he was able to do it in these three areas, he can get time.
The addition of Hazzard took some possible PT away. DD would have the leg up with the year in the system too. The odds are kinda stacked against the guy with Sean Miller as the head coach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Azgirl wrote:C3, is the transfer a name we will all recognize?
Very likely you would, although we didn't recruit him too much the first time around.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:What terrible f-ing news to wake up to.

Throughout the past two weeks, I’ve been saying “But our recruiting class! But our recruiting class!” And now that too has taken a hit.

This shouldn’t be happening so close to the new season. And just wait till the damn media gets whiff of this.

Good times.
Not if that spot is exchanged for need. We have a lot of wings.

if it is a sit a year guy we fill that spot with, along with if Brown comes...that seems to speak to Miller not thinking of this season as one last run.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

baycat93 wrote:
NYCat wrote:Is it the guy who committed to Cal then decommitted from Cal, and then committed another school but somehow still committed to Cal?
https://247sports.com/college/arizona/B ... 131763951/" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:What terrible f-ing news to wake up to.

Throughout the past two weeks, I’ve been saying “But our recruiting class! But our recruiting class!” And now that too has taken a hit.

This shouldn’t be happening so close to the new season. And just wait till the damn media gets whiff of this.

Good times.
Not if that spot is exchanged for need. We have a lot of wings.

if it is a sit a year guy we fill that spot with, along with if Brown comes...that seems to speak to Miller not thinking of this season as one last run.
I was under the impression that TA is a high-level player, a future pro, and that his inclusion in our ‘19 class could be the difference between a great class and a fucking epic class.

But I don’t sense much alarm in this thread over TA’s possible change of plans, so I’ll take a few deep breaths and kick off the weekend.

Cheers.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

To me TA was far more important for the future and not for next season.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:To me TA was far more important for the future and not for next season.
Got it.

So our depth chart on the wing is:

NM
JG/BW
MH/DS/BR (if he’s here)

Is that about right?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:To me TA was far more important for the future and not for next season.
I agree. I didn’t see him a major contributor next year. If TA is worried about beating out DD for playing time, I guess he even has further to go than I thought.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

This is how I have the meaningful rotation broken out.

NM / BW
BW / JG / MH
JG / DD
ZN / IL / SG
CJ / ZN

With a minutes breakdown:

Mannion-30
Williams- 30
Green- 30
Jeter-30
Nnaji- 25
Doutrive-20
Lee-15
Gettings- 10
Hazard-10
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Yep, Jemarl Baker is the guy.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
I can’t decide where I land on Jemarl...seems like he may be a solid role player for his last two years (ideally three if he can get a medical redshirt) but not sure his ceiling is anything more than a 3-and-D rotational piece, which is of course still valuable, but not I guess what I was hoping for with this mystery transfer. What do you guys think? Is he a no-brainer take? Because I think he’s sort of borderline for me, but I would love for someone to sell me on him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
I can’t decide where I land on Jemarl...seems like he may be a solid role player for his last two years (ideally three if he can get a medical redshirt) but not sure his ceiling is anything more than a 3-and-D rotational piece, which is of course still valuable, but not I guess what I was hoping for with this mystery transfer. What do you guys think? Is he a no-brainer take? Because I think he’s sort of borderline for me, but I would love for someone to sell me on him.
You need solid guys just as much as high ceiling guys. He handled 10 MPG as a freshman on a borderline FF team.

He doesn't have a lot of jaw dropping qualities, but he doesn't have many weaknesses. He would have 3 more years to play here. He's who we hoped Dylan Smith could be. Frankly, his freshman year at UK was better than any year we've seen from Smith.

Maybe he never becomes a star, but 3 years of solid D in the rotation for 15-20 mpg, I would love that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Baker is also a PG option when the options in 2020 are slim to none.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Baker is also a PG option when the options in 2020 are slim to none.
From what I’ve seen, he’s more of a combo that’s better suited primarily as a spot up shooter. Seems more like a 2 than a 1.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Baker is also a PG option when the options in 2020 are slim to none.
From what I’ve seen, he’s more of a combo that’s better suited primarily as a spot up shooter. Seems more like a 2 than a 1.
I agree, but that still makes him a PG option albeit not a great one.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
I agree, but that still makes him a PG option albeit not a great one.
True. Regardless, there’s definitely value in a 3 and D combo guard that was playing his best basketball late in the year for a FF quality team.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Didn't TA sign his NLI already? Aren't those suppose to mean something?
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Terry won the BILAAG dunk comp and in the interview they didn't even ask the 'next year at UA' question. Boo

Also Terry is pretty big. He is standing next to Kelly Oubre in one pic on his IG and he is basically the same size. And Oubre is legitimate NBA SF size and slides up to PF sometimes.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I wouldn't take that as the gospel, some random fan asked him and he just said he was still committed. We'll know more next week.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Gotta admit though, Choo...a good sign.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/zonazealot ... tball/amp/" target="_blank

Seems a bit more official but who knows
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Gotta admit though, Choo...a good sign.
I wouldn't tell a fan I'm decommitting before I'd tell the Arizona coaching staff. Would you?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I wouldn't tell a fan I'm decommitting before I'd tell the Arizona coaching staff. Would you?
Which fan?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PGU has always been one ugly site, even before Ace.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Which fan?
That's where the report came from. Some U of A fan went to the BallIsLife game and asked him. He threw up the WC sign and said he's still committed.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

baycat93 wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Seems to be a good defender based on Calipari's quotes about him, he was considered a sharpshooter coming out of HS so he could he a 3&D type player. But he shot only 31% for year from 3 and only 25% during SEC play, Barcello part deux? Then again we seem to be only recruiting Burnett & Nix at guard spots in 2020 and both will extremely tough to pull off. Unless we want to depend on Barcello as a rotational player next year, Baker makes sense.

So long as he doesn't take Armstrong's place, if he takes Smith's schollie I don't know where that leaves room for Brown, unless Armstrong does decommit or Barcello is shown the door. If I had choose 2 between Brown, Baker, Armstrong I'd choose Brown & Baker. Brown #1 because the 2020 bigs are really weak, Baker for similar reasons but CGs/SGs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Which fan?
That's where the report came from. Some U of A fan went to the BallIsLife game and asked him. He threw up the WC sign and said he's still committed.
How attractive was she? Factors like that matter.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Final 247 rankings are out

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Baske ... HighSchool" target="_blank

Updated rankings:

#8 Nico Mannion -- moved up 3 spots
#17 Josh Green -- no change
#39 Zeke Nnaji -- dropped 4 spots
#72 Terry Armstrong -- dropped 3 spots
#88 Christian Koloko -- moved up 2 spots

And Arizona has the #1 recruiting class again (composite), beating Duke (by .01 pts). But probably won't last very long.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

NYCat wrote:Final 247 rankings are out

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Baske ... HighSchool" target="_blank

Updated rankings:

#8 Nico Mannion -- moved up 3 spots
#17 Josh Green -- no change
#39 Zeke Nnaji -- dropped 4 spots
#72 Terry Armstrong -- dropped 3 spots
#88 Christian Koloko -- moved up 2 spots

And Arizona has the #1 recruiting class again (composite), beating Duke (by .01 pts). But probably won't last very long.
I hope it does last just so I can listen to Dickie V cry for a whole year about how disgraceful it is that Miller is still paying these kids even while we are being investigated.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
az91

Post by az91 »

Merkin wrote:
There is still no definitive sign from Terry whether he is staying or leaving his commitment. A few responders to his most recent cryptic tweet indicate he's gone. Maybe he is waiting until after the Dawkins trial concludes to announce his intensions?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

az91 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
There is still no definitive sign from Terry whether he is staying or leaving his commitment. A few responders to his most recent cryptic tweet indicate he's gone. Maybe he is waiting until after the Dawkins trial concludes to announce his intensions?
Things are looking much better on Armstrong staying committed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
az91 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Good. He's talented and will have an opportunity for big things as a soph.

18 and 19 year olds. You never know.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
az91 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Eliminate's Jemarl Baker (if Armstrong stays committed) I would assume. And Brown hypothetically still takes Smith's schollie?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
az91 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Eliminate's Jemarl Baker (if Armstrong stays committed) I would assume. And Brown hypothetically still takes Smith's schollie?
That would be ideal, IMO. Brown is big for 2020, and Smith...well, I wish him well.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
az91 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
No, it wouldn't eliminate Baker. If we land Baker and Brown it'd be bye bye Smith and very likely bye bye Doutrive.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:No, it wouldn't eliminate Baker. If we land Baker and Brown it'd be bye bye Smith and very likely bye bye Doutrive.
The game is cold.