let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: let's talk '19

Post by YoDeFoe »

Goodman final updates his preseaon with Arizona at #14, which seems about the consensus.

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-b ... 6-02-2019/" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Athlon with the final update... #17. Okay by me for now. https://athlonsports.com/college-basket ... 25-2019-20" target="_blank

17. Arizona Wildcats
Key Returners: Chase Jeter, Ira Lee, Dylan Smith, Brandon Williams

Departures: Brandon Randolph, Justin Coleman, Devonaire Doutrive, Ryan Luther

Arrivals: Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Zeke Nnaji, Terry Armstrong, Christian Koloko, Max Hazzard

Buzz: The specter of the FBI investigation loomed over Arizona throughout 2018-19. Amid conflicting reports about Sean Miller's involvement, a makeshift Arizona team limped to what was, in some regards, the program's worst season since before Lute Olson built a national power in the '80s.

The trial from the investigation is now in the past, and a nationally top 3-ranked recruiting class remained in tact. The 2019 crop may be the Wildcats' best in 20 years, when a group that included Jason Gardner and Gilbert Arenas led UA to its last Final Four. Expectations on Nico Mannion, Josh Green and the rest of the newcomers — which include Max Hazzard of NCAA Tournament Cinderella UC Irvine — will be sky-high. But the key to UA returning to prominence may rest in returners Ira Lee and Brandon Williams taking strides, and Chase Jeter staying healthy.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

YoDeFoe wrote:Athlon with the final update... #17. Okay by me for now. https://athlonsports.com/college-basket ... 25-2019-20" target="_blank

17. Arizona Wildcats

Arrivals: Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Zeke Nnaji, Terry Armstrong, Christian Koloko, Max Hazzard

Buzz: The specter of the FBI investigation loomed over Arizona throughout 2018-19. Amid conflicting reports about Sean Miller's involvement, a makeshift Arizona team limped to what was, in some regards, the program's worst season since before Lute Olson built a national power in the '80s.

The trial from the investigation is now in the past, and a nationally top 3-ranked recruiting class remained in tact. The 2019 crop may be the Wildcats' best in 20 years, when a group that included Jason Gardner and Gilbert Arenas led UA to its last Final Four. Expectations on Nico Mannion, Josh Green and the rest of the newcomers — which include Max Hazzard of NCAA Tournament Cinderella UC Irvine — will be sky-high. But the key to UA returning to prominence may rest in returners Ira Lee and Brandon Williams taking strides, and Chase Jeter staying healthy.
That's actually a pretty well thought out write-up about us, but I can't help but feel surprised after writing that, the author didn't feel like we belonged a bit higher than #17. Having teams like TTU and Michigan above us when looking at the rosters just seems bizarre to me. It's like a lot of these CBB writers forgot after a down year that Miller is actually a pretty great coach (at least in the regular season).
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

goslingswagg wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Athlon with the final update... #17. Okay by me for now. https://athlonsports.com/college-basket ... 25-2019-20" target="_blank

17. Arizona Wildcats

That's actually a pretty well thought out write-up about us, but I can't help but feel surprised after writing that, the author didn't feel like we belonged a bit higher than #17. Having teams like TTU and Michigan above us when looking at the rosters just seems bizarre to me. It's like a lot of these CBB writers forgot after a down year that Miller is actually a pretty great coach (at least in the regular season).
I think it's because for so much of last year, Williams and Jeter weren't healthy, and Ira Lee was the basketball equivalent of this racehorse:

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

17. Arizona Wildcats

I think it's because for so much of last year, Williams and Jeter weren't healthy, and Ira Lee was the basketball equivalent of this racehorse:

OK, she had her feet set, but she was inside the restricted zone, so ...
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

17. Arizona Wildcats

With Pac 12 reffing, I'm not sure what gets called there. Some halves, that's a no call. Some other halves, the horse goes to the line because he got touch fouled before he plowed that woman.

Is the horse part of the home team? That's always a big variable in the Pac.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Coach-speak for: Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Hmmm....that statement is something.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Lute would have handed the keys to a player like that. Didn't Steve Kerr just loll around playing Donkey Kong while yelling at Roz to peel his grapes and bring him another Tab?
You gonna order something, kid?

Ah, yeah. Give me - Give me a Tab.

Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.

Right. Give me a Pepsi Free.

You want a Pepsi, pal, you're gonna pay for it.

Still my favorite movie. I've prolly watched it 500 times.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Kenyon Martin Jr. skipping college. He had committed to Vanderbilt
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

84Cat wrote:Kenyon Martin Jr. skipping college. He had committed to Vanderbilt
Now this I don't really get if you have NBA hopes. As not even near a top 100 player in the class, how will you navigate the pro scene with such little exposure? I can't see a number of pro teams are ready to sign you internationally. Even if they do, the money is not going to be anything special, you will also be signed somewhere with such little exposure that you almost definitely won't see the NBA.

I've never been one to criticize leaving school early, if you can secure the bag, secure the bag. But now, no guarantee of education, no guarantee of anything professionally. One injury and this kid never plays basketball again. This is the one of the few times I think that this is just a terrible decision.

Edit: I know he is the son of Kenyon Martin, so he doesn't have to worry about money, he will have exposure from his father but not anything from his own basketball abilities.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:
97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Lute would have handed the keys to a player like that. Didn't Steve Kerr just loll around playing Donkey Kong while yelling at Roz to peel his grapes and bring him another Tab?
You gonna order something, kid?

Ah, yeah. Give me - Give me a Tab.

Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.

Right. Give me a Pepsi Free.

You want a Pepsi, pal, you're gonna pay for it.

Still my favorite movie. I've prolly watched it 500 times.
I agree with Lou, the owner of the diner. Thirty-four years later, Marty's vest still looks more like a life preserver.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByairuhhL0M/" target="_blank
Last edited by NYCat on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

So who tf is leaving?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

What is our roster lol
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wow! Welcome, JB! Smart move!

So wait...he's definitely sitting this year, right?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

He’s definitely sitting as a transfer
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He's infinitely better than anybody we could've landed in the 2020 class at his position.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

1. Max Hazzard (Sr)
2. Stone Gettings (Sr)
3. Chase Jeter (Sr)
4. Dylan Smith (Sr)
5. Ira Lee (Jr)
6. Alex Barcello (Jr)
7. Jemarl Baker (So/Jr)
8. Brandon Williams (So)
9. Jordan Brown (So)
10. Nico Mannion (Fr)
11. Josh Green (Fr)
12. Zeke Nnaji (Fr)
13. Terry Armstrong (Fr)
14. Christan Koloko (Fr)

Wonder who's leaving, Smith doesn't seem like the guy I guess
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Damn, Miller is the greatest recruiter ever

Vitale must of just choked on K’s jizz
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:He's infinitely better than anybody we could've landed in the 2020 class at his position.
A "big three" of Williams, Baker, and Brown next season (along with Zeke? and Terry) gives me great comfort given how much roster turnover we're going to see after this season and the lack of west coast talent in the 2020 pool.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Would Koloko red shirt to make room for JB?
Last edited by 84Cat on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote:Would Koloko will red shirt to make room for JB?
Redshirts are still on scholarship, so if Koloko made room for JB it'd be by never enrolling at Arizona.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Redshirts are still on scholarship, so if Koloko made room for JB it'd be by never enrolling at Arizona.
Got it. So do we know where the slot for JB coming from?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

NYCat wrote:1. Max Hazzard (Sr)
2. Stone Gettings (Sr)
3. Chase Jeter (Sr)
4. Dylan Smith (Sr)
5. Ira Lee (Jr)
6. Alex Barcello (Jr)
7. Jemarl Baker (So/Jr)
8. Brandon Williams (So)
9. Jordan Brown (So)
10. Nico Mannion (Fr)
11. Josh Green (Fr)
12. Zeke Nnaji (Fr)
13. Terry Armstrong (Fr)
14. Christan Koloko (Fr)

Wonder who's leaving, Smith doesn't seem like the guy I guess
I have no idea how it is possible, but I believe that entire roster will somehow be in tact for '19-'20. CSM must be working on a way to have a rotation player not on scholarship and within the rules. Only possible answer with the way this has all been reported(not reported).
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think Barcello is going on a rowing scholarship.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I have a theory, but truly it's just me spitballing with no info on the topic whatsoever, and it's written in my post you quoted.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
84Cat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I have a theory, but truly it's just me spitballing with no info on the topic whatsoever, and it's written in my post you quoted.
I thought the same thing. He committed when our team composition looked completely different than it does now
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
84Cat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
CCC, that was an exact theory I had put forward on WA and was quickly and smartly admonished by JS. He said all of the recruits would be on campus next year and to stop coming up with crazy theories. :). I have since refrained from crazy theories, as all of them have been shot down by JS and/or others with farrrrrrr more knowledge and access than I.

Plus, if JB is not playing this year, his minutes/role is not effected at all.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
84Cat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
If JB wanted to come here, I can't imagine Koloko would be what keeps him out. Flatly, if JB wants to come here, I expect the situation solves itself.

How...not sure, but JB is the kind of guy you create solutions for.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So it sounds like it may be a little while before we know if JB is playing this year or next.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

By the way, imagine if you will what Vitale's response would be had Brown chosen Duke or Kansas or Kentucky.

"Another gem for Coach K/Coach Cal/Coach Self, baby! America's elite players know how to pick em! Gonna be a BIG season in Durham/Lexington/Lawrence, baby!!!"
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So it sounds like it may be a little while before we know if JB is playing this year or next.
No. He's sitting out this year and playing next.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
Koloko doesn't have a role this upcoming season regardless honestly barring all hell breaking loose.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Could it be BWill's legs are done?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Could it be BWill's legs are done?
No.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
Koloko doesn't have a role this upcoming season regardless honestly barring all hell breaking loose.
does all hell breaking loose include Jeter's back(will) giving out?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
I don't know why Koloko wouldn't redshirt. The chances he plays a meaningful minute are basically zilch unless we lose like 2-3 big guys.

As I'm posting, the Star puts up an article that Brown commits to Arizona. Nice. I don't know where the scholarship is coming from, but Brown is the natural successor to Jeter as our 4/5 anchor. If we get Nnaji for two years, I feel very good about senior Ira Lee, 3rd year soph Jordan Brown and soph Zeke Nnaji.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

baycat93 wrote:
CCC, that was an exact theory I had put forward on WA and was quickly and smartly admonished by JS. He said all of the recruits would be on campus next year and to stop coming up with crazy theories. :). I have since refrained from crazy theories, as all of them have been shot down by JS and/or others with farrrrrrr more knowledge and access than I.

Yeah I also saw Jason say this. That said, I would think it's very possible this could have changed as of recent, Koloko certainly does seem to be the odd man out regarding incoming players.

My mind wanders to Gettings and Hazzard. Mostly Hazzard (Since Gettings spent half a year with the program), could Arizona have him look somewhere else for his final year? Would seem somewhat short sighted of Miller to turn him away after just getting his commitment. I hope it doesn't come to this as I think Max is going to end up creating a bigger role for himself than people think next year.

Just hard to see where else you'd get the scholarship from if we aren't breaking up the freshmen class and Smith or Barcello aren't leaving.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

If it is anyone other than barcello/koloko... the '19//20 team got worse with this commitment.

If it is smith that is gone we are again giving 20+ minutes to another GT 5'10" shooting guard with no experience in the system.
prh

Post by prh »

If Smith leaving has any real impact on this team, we're already in trouble
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
baycat93 wrote:

Yeah I also saw Jason say this. That said, I would think it's very possible this could have changed as of recent, Koloko certainly does seem to be the odd man out regarding incoming players.

My mind wanders to Gettings and Hazzard. Mostly Hazzard (Since Gettings spent half a year with the program), could Arizona have him look somewhere else for his final year? Would seem somewhat short sighted of Miller to turn him away after just getting his commitment. I hope it doesn't come to this as I think Max is going to end up creating a bigger role for himself than people think next year.

Just hard to see where else you'd get the scholarship from if we aren't breaking up the freshmen class and Smith or Barcello aren't leaving.
I think it could've been Scheer playing misdirect, because some smoothing out needs to be done to make it happen. There's a reason this one in particular is being kept in the dark. Hazzard is in for sure, not going anywhere.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: As I'm posting, the Star puts up an article that Brown commits to Arizona. Nice.
Guess you missed everyone posting about his commitment in this thread, and yourself posting in the middle of it.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

baycat93 wrote:If it is anyone other than barcello/koloko... the '19//20 team got worse with this commitment.

If it is smith that is gone we are again giving 20+ minutes to another GT 5'10" shooting guard with no experience in the system.
Terry Armstrong is a player that exists.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

baycat93 wrote:If it is anyone other than barcello/koloko... the '19//20 team got worse with this commitment.

Put a little faith in Miller. Think there's an endgame we may not fully see yet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: As I'm posting, the Star puts up an article that Brown commits to Arizona. Nice.
Guess you missed everyone posting about his commitment in this thread, and yourself posting in the middle of it.
I did miss it. Do I have to pay money for my ignorance?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:

He is, but Terry needs a little coaching to be done still and a threat to take minutes from him if he doesn't do what his coach asks, hence Dylan Smith.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

YoDeFoe wrote:

We already have 3 starting freshman. History has not been good for freshman in CSM's defense. Adding a fourth getting heavy minutes is worrisome. Not that a GT is any better from that perspective.

Keep in mind... if Smith is not on the team the backcourt/wing has 120 minutes

Mannion 30
Williams 30
Green 30

Leaving 30 minutes between Hazzard/Armstrong (assuming no Smith). Armstrong will be getting plenty of freshman minutes.

I think the '19/'20 team is better with Smith's experience, length and rebounding getting 10 of those minutes. We get an injury and Hazzard/Armstrong/barcello are all playing heavy minutes.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

baycat93 wrote: We already have 3 starting freshman. History has not been good for freshman in CSM's defense. Adding a fourth getting heavy minutes is worrisome.
Not sure Nnaji is going to start, especially at the beginning of the season. I expect more out of Gettings than most (it seems) and Lee could continue to step up.
baycat93 wrote: ...Leaving 30 minutes between Hazzard/Armstrong (assuming no Smith). Armstrong will be getting plenty of freshman minutes.

I think the '19/'20 team is better with Smith's experience, length and rebounding getting 10 of those minutes. We get an injury and Hazzard/Armstrong/barcello are all playing heavy minutes.
With you on the injury depth concern. I just don't trust Smith to do the right thing on the court (aka play that limited role we all hope for him) and that's coloring my judgement here.