Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: Deandre Ayton

Post by Jefe »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... in-bagley/" target="_blank

Arizona's Deandre Ayton is Freshman of the Week, jumps Duke's Marvin Bagley
Freshman of the Week
Deandre Ayton, Arizona
The 7-foot-1 "power center" (my term) out of the Bahamas is coming into his own. He had a career high of 29 points and 18 rebounds in Arizona's 88-82 home win over Alabama on Saturday. That game was stacked with talent. Rawle Alkins made his Arizona debut, Alabama freshman dynamo Collin Sexton kept his team in it. But Ayton was a force. He showed why he's going to remain in the discussion for the No. 1 pick. He cannot be handle one-on-one. His shooting skill set is such a valuable piece -- and let's not forget that Sean Miller is one season removed from riding another 7-footer, Lauri Markkanen, to a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Ayton's a different player than Markkanen, and much more dangerous all around. On the week Ayton averaged 21 points (on 16-of-27 shooting) and 14 rebounds. Arizona defeated seventh-ranked Texas A&M last Tuesday. That was the deciding factor in favor of Ayton this week. It wasn't just career highs in points and boards, but the fact he was really good in two straight games against teams that should make it into the NCAA Tournament.

Heading into the season it was assumed that Allonzo Trier would be the more likely candidate to be an All-American for the Wildcats. Trier still has a good shot at it, but Ayton could wind up as the team's MVP. If both are playing at such a high level going forward, Miller's team will not fall out of the rankings again this season.

Comment: The man looks unfair on a college basketball floor. He's currently No. 4 in KenPom's Player of the Year algorithm. Ayton is top-10 in defensive rebounding percentage, and I'm willing to wager that he's going to have multiple 30-and-20 games this season. He came real close to it vs. Alabama. I lob this question out to you, though, because it's one I've been tossing around my head the past few days. For those who watched Greg Oden at Ohio State, which player would you pick if you had to choose between the two. Oden or Ayton? Next game: Saturday at New Mexico.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men ... eat-debate" target="_blank

DeAndre Ayton vs. Marvin Bagley: The great debate
Arizona forward DeAndre Ayton and Duke forward Marvin Bagley will likely be compared to one another for a long time.

They’re both transcendent talents. Ayton and Bagley have been the best players on bluebloods that feature experienced college stars like Allonzo Trier and Grayson Allen.

They’re also incredibly similar, both in style and in statistical output. Their numbers are nearly identical

But there are subtle differences between them. Let’s break down two of the most talented big men we’ve seen in college basketball in recent years.

Strength/Athleticism

At 7-1, 250 pounds, Ayton is a house, and he plays like one. And unlike a lot of guys that size, he’s extraordinarily fluid; Ayton moves like a guard.

There are big men across the country who have Ayton’s athleticism, but none pair it with his caliber of strength.Oh dear. Big men flush alley-oops frequently; rarely are they coordinated enough to do so with a running head start like Ayton has here. With apologies to Greg Oden (as strong but not quite as athletic) and Anthony Davis (more athletic, but rail-thin), you’d probably have to go back to Blake Griffin’s Oklahoma days to find a big man with the kind of strength and explosiveness combination Ayton has.

Ayton is a notch above Bagley here, too – he’s wiry, and about as athletic as Ayton. But he’s not nearly as filled out. Bagley has elite body control and outstanding hands for a guy his size – he looks like an All-American tight end going up for loose balls, and his rebounding radius is insane. That was all on display in this 30-point, 15-rebound performance against Florida

Bagley is a freak. Ayton is whatever the level above “freak” is.

Slight edge: Ayton

Shooting

Ayton’s pet move is his face-up midrange jumper – perhaps even to a fault. It’s not a high efficiency shot; even if Ayton cans 50 percent of those, he’d be better served if he stepped out and hit 3s at a 35 percent clip.

Ayton’s range isn’t reliable yet, but he has feathery touch. The face-up mid-range jumper is also inefficient because, frankly, it’s a hard shot to make. Ayton drains it frequently, and that speaks to his shooting chops. He’s only shooting 29 percent from 3 but Ayton has made four of his last 10 attempts. He’s shooting a respectable 69 percent from the line, so it feels like that range will come with time. Ayton’s stroke is textbook

Bagley is shooting 33 percent from 3 but does much more of his damage near the hoop as opposed to the mid range. He’s also shooting just 61 percent from the free-throw line, which is a bit of an issue considering Bagley’s relentless interior style. He’s going to get there a lot. Bagley would be scoring at an even higher rate if he shot free-throws at a normal clip.

Bagley’s jumper isn’t broken, by any means. But he’s not as fluid, or quick in his release as Ayton. This off-the-bounce 3 goes in, but his shot is a bit flat, and he takes some time to wind up.

Bagley’s outside shot has actually been better than advertised. But Ayton is a bit ahead of him at this point.

Slight edge: Ayton

Post play

If we’re saying Ayton is a better shooter, but Bagley scores just as much as him – guess what that means? The latter is better on the interior.

Bagley’s motor just runs so hot. Effort was a knock on Ayton coming into college – but it’s kind of hard to see why; he’s been outstanding for Arizona, and there’s been no evidence of him dogging it. But Bagley’s maximum effort jumps off of the screen.

By the same logic used above, Ayton is more physically imposing than Bagley, but their rebounding numbers are eerily similar. Bagley has an endless bag of post tricks; he’s able to contort his body in ways that guys his size shouldn’t be able to, and he’s so athletic that his shot rarely gets blocked.
Ayton and Bagley are both monsters down low. But Duke’s rookie is more consistently dominant.

Edge: Bagley

Passing

It’s probably too early to tell, to be honest. Ayton and Bagley are so physically overwhelming that the right basketball play is usually for them to try to score the ball themselves, regardless of who’s on them.

They’ll face more double-teams as the season wears on. For what it’s worth, they both saw them in their last game – Bagley against Boston College, and Ayton against Alabama. Each had one assist, but Bagley had four turnovers to Ayton’s two, and is coughing it up more frequently in general.

Keep an eye on this moving forward. Defenses will start to adapt, and Bagley and Ayton could find open 3-point shooters often if it’s something they prioritize.

Edge: Draw

Rebounding

The raw numbers are nearly identical, but dig a little deeper, and this gets complicated.

Duke ranks 55th in adjusted tempo. Arizona ranks 190th. Therefore, Bagley has had more opportunities to grab rebounds than Ayton – and their rebounding rates reflect as much. Ayton has collected 30.8 percent of available defensive rebounds when he’s on the floor, the ninth-highest mark in the country. Bagley’s defensive rebounding rate is 23.7, which ranks 115th. For what it’s worth, Bagley’s offensive rebounding rate is higher, but only by a smidge.

There’s some noise here. Bagley’s frontcourt partner is Wendell Carter, who’s a significantly better rebounder that Dusan Ristic, Ayton’s frontcourt partner. And Duke is rebounding better as a team than Arizona; the Blue Devils are first in offensive rebounding and 144th in defensive rebounding; the Wildcats are 76th and 121st. Bagley’s offensive rebounding is part of the reason why Duke has the No. 1 offense in the country, and rebounding isn’t all about individual totals. Sometimes, a quality boxout to ensure a teammate snags the rock is just as good as an actual board.

This is the closest category yet. Even though Ayton has been a slightly more impressive individual rebounder, Bagley’s ferocious second-chance efforts have propped up Duke’s offense. Side note: it usually doesn’t matter, but Ayton rarely boxes out, and Bagley at least makes an effort.

Slight, slight, slight edge: Bagley

Defense

For as good as these guys are on offense, their defense leaves some to be desired.

Given their athleticism, it’s shocking that Bagley averages less than a block per game and Ayton is barely over a block per game. Duke’s defense has been a mess – it’s ranked 70th – and while there’s way more to that than Bagley, he hasn’t been a difference-maker on that end.

And it’s fair to criticize Ayton for attempting to pad his rebounding totals, meaning he often pulls up on shots he could potentially alter or swat. Arizona has been better than Duke defensively, but the Wildcats still rank just 54th – given the personnel, both teams should be better on that side of the floor. Bagley is more agile side-to-side and better at containing guards, while Ayton is a more effective rim-protector. But their offensive transcendence hasn’t translated to defense. Perhaps it will in time; both guys have the tools to be dominant two-way players.

To settle the debate, we dove into the on-off court splits. Duke is essentially the same defensively with or without Bagley — the Blue Devils allow about a point less per 100 possessions with him in the game. Arizona, on the other hand, is clearly better with Ayton on the floor — the Wildcats surrender about five less points per 100 possessions with their freshman manning the lane.

Defense is usually harder to learn on the college level than offense. Ayton and Bagley will pick up defensive concepts in the coming months, and be better for it.

But for now, Ayton is slightly more important to his team’s defense than Bagley.

Edge: Ayton

Overall edge: Ayton, ever so slightly. But it's so close that it could flip on a game-by-game basis.

What tremendous talents these two are.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Ayton rolling into those two late jumpers was a thing of beauty. There are very few 7 footers that can roll, collect and go up with perfect balance, let alone do it flawlessly twice in a row.
and the hardest shot around...the mid-range "jumper". Seriously...I'd rather push out to up to 30 ft over a 12 foot J.

That Brandon Randolph shot on the left baseline from about 12 impressed me. Side angle, mid-range...so hard to drop through. Most tend to aim and leave it short. That shot told me more about BR than a 21 ft. three.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Deandre got completely hosed by the refs on at least 3/4 of his fouls.....possibly more. I really hope this is just an outlier and not some screwed up way of making up for his physicality......CSM will stroke out if this happens again....as well as me. Good grief.

Would love to see a video mash up of his ‘4 fouls’ tonight with analysis. Smh.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

The one in the 2nd half where he blocked the shot was a joke for sure.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Refs got it wrong last night. Impacted the game with very questionable calls on Deandre..had him sitting too long. They shouldn't be working any Arizona games going forward.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Part of the game is learning to play through stuff like that. He looked thrown off by the fouls and UConn's constant doubling. We're used to seeing more than 9 and 7 per 27 minutes for him. He's young, though. Learn and grow.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

has anyone else noticed how Ayton favors his left leg? He wears that sleeve around the right leg. And there was a point last night when we hobbled off the court. Then they showed him messing with his foot on the bench. But I have personally thought since day 1 he seemed to favor one leg over the other, just slightly.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Bordercat wrote:has anyone else noticed how Ayton favors his left leg? He wears that sleeve around the right leg. And there was a point last night when we hobbled off the court. Then they showed him messing with his foot on the bench. But I have personally thought since day 1 he seemed to favor one leg over the other, just slightly.

Saw that too. Seemed to be in pain as he sat down, looked like he was rubbing the outside of his shoe.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Stud. MVP. 23/19
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He played some badass defense tonight

Complete dominant player
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Grown. Ass. Man.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

He was awesome for sure but 6 TOs :-(
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Still growing as a player, and he basically has a nonexistent ceiling.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He's so NBA ready it's unreal.

Might be the first pro NBA jersey of a former player that I'll buy.

Instant fan of whatever team drafts him.
Bangkok Wildcat

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Still growing as a player, and he basically has a nonexistent ceiling.
No doubt....bet he learns from this and doesn’t have more than 3 in eMPTY......That is going to be a huge challenge.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:He was awesome for sure but 6 TOs :-(
Yep. Almost cost the Cats the game with his TOs. Lead to easy buckets too often but his D was outstanding today
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:
Yep. Almost cost the Cats the game with his TOs. Lead to easy buckets too often but his D was outstanding today
Ayton almost cost us this game?!!!! WTF are you talking about? He had 2 bad TOs but he was getting touches every possession
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Ayton almost cost us this game?!!!! WTF are you talking about? He had 2 bad TOs but he was getting touches every possession
His passes were the worst kind of trash. He played outstanding in every way besides that but they were awful turnovers at awful times
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And if he's out of the line up we lose that game by double digits.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:And if he's out of the line up we lose that game by double digits.
True. And if Holder is out of the lineup we win by 20.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:And if he's out of the line up we lose that game by double digits.

He played an amazing game besides the TOs for sure. Probably his best game
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

How do they compare Bagley and Ayton?

Bagley is so ordinary. I can name ten players like him in the last five years.

Ayton? When is the last time you have seen a player like him? You can legitimately compare him to Hakeem, who I consider one of the best all time big men ever.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Bagley plays for Duke, that's why.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Love watching Ayton so much. He really should touch the ball every time down, only good things happen when he does. I get f'ing annoyed when soft ass Ristic gets more post action. He reminds me a lot of my favorite player growing up - he's a right handed DRob.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

WildHolcs wrote:Love watching Ayton so much. He really should touch the ball every time down, only good things happen when he does. I get f'ing annoyed when soft ass Ristic gets more post action. He reminds me a lot of my favorite player growing up - he's a right handed DRob.
I actually like Ristic in the low block. He is money on almost all shots within 10 feet. And his defense and rebounding has improved a lot. He is playing his best basketball right now. Not so much a stiff.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Really? maybe I'm too hard on him or look for it more...but he's still soft as hell with his rebounding and his hands are just weak, gets stripped a ton. Lots of times in the ASSU game he was weak. He does have a nice touch, but I still think his slow rotations, and softness on the boards hurts the team more than helps. I actually hate when he's in late in close games.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'd like to see some analytics on our scoring success rate when:

1. We feed the ball in the low post to Ayton
2. We feed the ball in the low post to Ristic
3. We set up in the half court set and Trier tries to create off the dribble.

Arizona should create a spread sheet and see how often we score, how often we turn it over, how often we get to the FT line, how often we get an offensive rebound.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

If Ayton isn't getting low block, he should get it high block...actually he should get it high block a ton more than he has...and if he isn't getting those he should be pick n rolling. One of those 3 things should happen every time down in a half court set.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Bordercat wrote:How do they compare Bagley and Ayton?

Bagley is so ordinary. I can name ten players like him in the last five years.

Ayton? When is the last time you have seen a player like him? You can legitimately compare him to Hakeem, who I consider one of the best all time big men ever.
Bagley reminds me of the non shitty Josh Smith
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I love Doncic, but Ayton has been #1 on my board since seeing him lace em up in Tucson.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
WildHolcs wrote:Love watching Ayton so much. He really should touch the ball every time down, only good things happen when he does. I get f'ing annoyed when soft ass Ristic gets more post action. He reminds me a lot of my favorite player growing up - he's a right handed DRob.

I don't think there's anyway when it comes down to it Bagley goes over Ayton. Not a chance once the draft comes closer. The only other guy I think that could is Trae Young, if the team drafting needs a guard. Guys a monster. But who gives a f about that...lets just enjoy Ayton while we got him. Final 4... just feed the big man constantly.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm OK with saying Bagley -- just put up 32/21 -- and Ayton are both extraordinary. Rise above the fanboy trap of thinking that praise for one diminishes the other, grasshopper. When you do this -- and take the pebble from my hand -- you may go.

Bagley, Ayton, Young, Sexton ... extraordinary freshmen. Easy call. If MB were a Wildcat, we'd love him.

Durant and Beasley are the only big guys I can think of who play inside and out and put up Bagley numbers in recent years. Who am I missing?
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote: Bagley, Ayton, Young, Sexton ... extraordinary freshmen. Easy call. If MB were a Wildcat, we'd love him.

I smell an ESPSN Freshman Focus!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why exactly did the announcers last night unceremoniously anoint Trae Holder Player of the Year in the PAC while Ayton was systematically destroying Holder’s team?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

WildHolcs wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
I don't think there's anyway when it comes down to it Bagley goes over Ayton. Not a chance once the draft comes closer. The only other guy I think that could is Trae Young, if the team drafting needs a guard. Guys a monster. But who gives a f about that...lets just enjoy Ayton while we got him. Final 4... just feed the big man constantly.
It's questionable how well Trae Young translates to the NBA. Guys like him can be Steph Curry, but they can also be Jimmer.

Bagley is really good. Really good. Ayton is too. Doncic is as well. Then Bamba is an immediate all-NBA defensive guy. It is a really good class of players this year.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Last year it was our offense struggling against zone defense. This year, it's how do we play 4 on 3 basketball most effectively? When Ayton is doubled, we can get better on what we do from there. It's best when Trier or Alkins set up weak side from him on the 3 point arc and get a wide open 3 look.

Those guys can consistently hit that when it's that open and they're pretty much set ready for the pass to catch and shoot. It's a great play we did numerous times vs UConn with success, and it seems to work best when Ayton fires it out there quickly after he gets it but allows the double team just enough time to commit fully to guarding him. It's cool in that it just uses the immense gravitational attraction that Ayton causes in a defense to create all this open space for everyone else.

We could probably find ways to get him the ball a little more outside the block and allow the double to go all the way over on that side of the court, and run plays off that. If the double doesn't come, he's already shown he's pretty impossible to stop 1 on 1.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One of the reasons we don't see more 2-3 this year is that we can more or less get Ayton the ball at the elbow at will, and he's very effective from there. How many time have teams gone 2-3 and Ayton immediately responds by knocking down a 15 footer?

There's only so much we can do because teams like ASU will double him constantly. Ayton's evolution includes getting better kicking out of the double, than reposting or getting to the glass. If teams want to try to deny him the ball, the first thing I'd tell him is to hit the glass. When he's locked in on the offensive boards, he usually comes close to double digit scoring in second chance points alone.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:
gumby wrote: Bagley, Ayton, Young, Sexton ... extraordinary freshmen. Easy call. If MB were a Wildcat, we'd love him.

I smell an ESPSN Freshman Focus!
E ntertainment
SP orts
S teven A
N etwork?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:Why exactly did the announcers last night unceremoniously anoint Trae Holder Player of the Year in the PAC while Ayton was systematically destroying Holder’s team?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Alls I know is Cats have won Ayton a row because of Deandre.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Ayton a row! Gumby, you are too clever.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

2-3 of those TOs were because he couldn't see PJC behind the defender :oops:
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Deandre Ayton named Pac-12 Player of the Week after destroying ASU

Arizona Wildcats big man Deandre Ayton has been named Pac-12 Player of the Week for the second time this season, it was announced Tuesday afternoon.

Ayton had 23 points, 19 rebounds, three assists, and three blocks in Arizona’s win 84-78 over No. 3 ASU on Saturday.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... s-scouting" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nice!

In your face Holder. :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Nice!

In your face Holder. :lol:
Tie goes to the winner. Ayton and Holder both did a lot. We won.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

For Deandre, greatness is routine. Anyone else, this stat line would be their best game of the year. For Ayton, it's ho hum.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

24/14... ho hum
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I dont think ill ever get over how ridiculous this kid is. All things being equal and ignoring positional/team needs, if you could choose one current or former wildcat, pick their best season here, to put on an Arizona team in hopes of winning a title, how many former greats would u pick over up through January 4 Deandre Ayton?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I am in love with this man. Just excited I get to watch him in an Arizona uniform.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

GOAT.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Runs like a cheetah
Soars like an eagle
Footwork like a mountain goat
Vision like a hawk
Throws it down like an elephant