Michigan State Predictions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Michigan State Predictions

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Ok, assuming worst case so far (no more injuries) with no Trier and Comanche.....What are our chances vs. MSU? Before the season I was optimistic and thought we would win.....now, a win would be a big accomplishment IMHO. Looks like they are deeper than us. Do the losses to our team bring us together and we pull out a win?

Thoughts on the game and how we match up?
azcat49

Re: Michigan State Predictions

Post by azcat49 »

It's AZ BBall. We win. Don't think Michigan St will be ready as we will be this early in the season
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

azcat49 wrote:It's AZ BBall. We win. Don't think Michigan St will be ready as we will be this early in the season
Hope you're right...we have a huge size advantage in the front court with Ben Carter being out....their next biggest players look like a Senior bench player at 6'9 Schilling (edit: out with knee injury till at least conference play) and a Frosh stud 4* 6'8 Nick Ward.

At SF, they have a 5* 6'7 stud Frosh Miles Bridges and 5* SG Frosh Josh Langford. Senior SG Erin Harris (averaged 20 minutes / 9 points / 2.1 Assists to 1.5 TOs with 44% 3pt shooting.

At PG 4* 6'2 Frosh stud Cassius Winston.

All the above seem to be their only good players but I may have missed a Sophomore who made that big jump to a good player. If we weren't so thin, I'd be pretty confident but we have no margin for error re: injuries or fouls.
Bangkok Wildcat

Have posted the following at the MSU Board for discussion. http://www.scout.com/college/michigan-s ... s-thoughts

Hi, I come in peace. First my condolences on the loss of Carter and Schilling! We know all too well how the badly the injury bug sucks as we lost our stud SF Ray Smith permanently a few days ago.....also we most likely have lost our #1 player Alonzo Trier (have no idea why or how long but fear the worst) and key bench post player Chance Comanche (indefinite academic suspension).

We are pretty thin now with only 7 scholarship players but have some serious studs. Looks like our starting 5 will be:

PG: 5'10, 170 lbs (at best) Parker Jackson Cartwright, JR.....he's small but quick and feisty. Last year he looked overwhelmed at times but we are hoping he's made a significant improvement. 3.4 Assists/ 1.4 TO ratio last year on a 20 minute average with .375% from 3. Not a reliable 3 pt threat.

SG: 6'3, 205 lbs Kadeem Allen Sr. transfer (5th year)....one of our most improved and is backup PG. Strong player averaged 25 minutes, 8.4 points with a 3.6 / 2.0 Assists/ TO ratio. Not a perimeter threat so far at 36% but can hit the boards and is fast and tough.

SF: 6'5 210 lbs, 5* Frosh beast Rawle Alkins....still a bit rough but strong and athletic.

PF: 7'O 225 lbs, 5* Lauri Markkanen SUPERSTUD, NBA ready now. Very strong, fast and can also shoot the 3. I expect he will be your biggest matchup challenge.

C: 7'0 245 lbs Dusan Ristic, Jr. Big and has quick hands and a soft touch....not so great defensively but is fast and looks much improved from last year so far. Averaged 16.5 minutes with 7 points, 3.8 rebounds, 55% FG and 38% from 3. Can run the floor quite well and has been advertised as the most improved player from last year.

Key Reserves:

PF/SF: 6'9 Junior Transfer Keanu Pinder....unexpected quality find and is looking good...hard nosed rebounder and a real blue-collar, work hard for boards kind of guy that also has a good offensive game from the small sample size so far.

CG: 6'5 5* Frosh Kobe Simmons....possibly 3rd choice backup PG but most likely SG for now. Incredibly athletic but also still learning the college game.

How about you guys? Who are your projected starters and key reserves? Hoping for a good game with NO injuries. Bear Down, Bangkok Wildcat

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm honestly not sure. Without Trier and Comanche, I don't exactly know what to expect from us. MSU has a lot of new parts, so I don't really know what they will bring either. Two good coaches, two rosters that aren't set yet.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Without Chance and Allonzo, it'll be a lot tougher.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Could be ugly. Ugly close. Or just ugly.
Right where I want to be.
Beermancats

Post by Beermancats »

With Chance most likely in the fold, combined with MSU's injuries to the front court and the fact that Miller has only lost by double digits (Wichita State by 10) once in the last 3 seasons, I think it will be a very close game. Like 77-73. Hopefully Arizona has 77.
Bangkok Wildcat

From the MSU link above, they were saying how Izzo's team really crashes the boards for rebounds....although I like our size advantage, if we still suck from 3 (Lauri being the incredible exception from today's exhibition...,wow, what a stud"), it's going to be tough.

Frustrating to see how our 3 point shooting still sucks.....
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MSU is going to win this game without too much trouble. Our best player is out, and there's a gaping hole in our backcourt. The other guys will get there, but not by Friday.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:MSU is going to win this game without too much trouble. Our best player is out, and there's a gaping hole in our backcourt. The other guys will get there, but not by Friday.
Well we are certainly not the #10 team in the country but I wouldn't go far as to say MSU will have an easy win. Actually, with Chance back I like our chances (pardon the pun) IF.........IF we can pull our heads out of our butts and rebound the damn ball.....also if we aren't pathetic at the 3.

I predict a close win by us.....but damn, we need Zo back.....don't think it's going to happen but am hoping it does!
Bangkok Wildcat

[tweet]https://mobile.twitter.com/Saul_Bookman ... 8038411264[/tweet]

Sorry, how the hell do you post from Twitter? Anyway, this Dude is saying Zo isn't traveling to Hawaii with the team :(
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I don't think you can post it from mobile. I just took "mobile" out of your link and it posted fine.
Bangkok Wildcat

84Cat wrote:I don't think you can post it from mobile. I just took "mobile" out of your link and it posted fine.
Posting from my iPad.....Frustrating. Thanks 84cat!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

People are in denial about Trier after he missed both exhibitions? I have no idea why it would be surprisong at this point.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Sloppy game from both teams. If we figure out our focus on offense needs to be Dusan and Lauri, I think we have a good shot at winning. If not, I think they beat us comfortably.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

First of all, Chance will travel and will play...how much of an impact that will make is yet to be determined. Second, MSU has had a couple of injuries that will impact their team, much like Arizona.

Third, MSU is a mystery at this point. Lost their 3 best offensive players from last year, and only return one player who averaged more than 4 points last year. They had a nice recruiting class, but lets not put the cart before the horse. Jesus.

HOF coach, who is likely working through similar kinks in his program as Miller. Should be an interesting game, but lets not pretend like people know what to expect.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gotta sell out and do whatever it takes to get this W. Will be very important for the selection committee. Next three games are at home vs weak teams which you should be able to use walk on players and still get the W.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Should be an ugly, athletic game between two fresh faced and depleted teams. Hopefully our three seven footers will cause them a ton of trouble in the post (scoring, sucking in defenders, drawing fouls, grabbing boards). If we can impose our will down low then the we should control the game. If we're unable to get the ball inside and are forced to shoot outside shots (hello zone D) - we're in a tough spot. If we get in foul trouble - we're in a tough spot. If we allow them to rebound and get out in transition - we're in a tough spot.

I'm worried about our guys, at this point. Our house is in disarray - I'll be surprised if our performance doesn't reflect that fact.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MSU by 20.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:MSU by 20.
No way. They've got their own issues, and our guys will be up for this game.

MSU may win, but we won't get blown out.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The same MSU that only beat Saginaw Valley State by 10?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Should be an ugly, athletic game between two fresh faced and depleted teams. Hopefully our three seven footers will cause them a ton of trouble in the post (scoring, sucking in defenders, drawing fouls, grabbing boards). If we can impose our will down low then the we should control the game. If we're unable to get the ball inside and are forced to shoot outside shots (hello zone D) - we're in a tough spot. If we get in foul trouble - we're in a tough spot. If we allow them to rebound and get out in transition - we're in a tough spot.

I'm worried about our guys, at this point. Our house is in disarray - I'll be surprised if our performance doesn't reflect that fact.
Correct me if I'm wrong, bc I don't watch a ton of MSU, but Izzo is mostly man to man. I think that aspect sets up ok for us. I agree that we need to make shots. I'm a little more optimistic, because we have guys who can hit them, they just have not. They need to start knocking them down.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:
Against the same Arizona that only beat Chico State by 9?

Ok, MSU by 15 then.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Should be an ugly, athletic game between two fresh faced and depleted teams. Hopefully our three seven footers will cause them a ton of trouble in the post (scoring, sucking in defenders, drawing fouls, grabbing boards). If we can impose our will down low then the we should control the game. If we're unable to get the ball inside and are forced to shoot outside shots (hello zone D) - we're in a tough spot. If we get in foul trouble - we're in a tough spot. If we allow them to rebound and get out in transition - we're in a tough spot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, bc I don't watch a ton of MSU, but Izzo is mostly man to man. I think that aspect sets up ok for us. I agree that we need to make shots. I'm a little more optimistic, because we have guys who can hit them, they just have not. They need to start knocking them down.
Yes Izzo traditionally plays a paced-in man to man defense, though he has thrown out a 2-3 zone in the past and we know he's a tricky SOB who is currently backed into a corner. Likely that he sticks with the man to man given the young team he's got (not likely they've practiced a zone much).
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
No way. They've got their own issues, and our guys will be up for this game.

MSU may win, but we won't get blown out.
I have no idea why I did this, except to point out how much a dolt you are.
Beachcat97 wrote:MSU is going to win this game without too much trouble.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Cats by 4 in a barn burner.

Who are the announcers?
Beachcat97 wrote:MSU is going to win this game without too much trouble.
Beachcat97 wrote:MSU may win, but we won't get blown out.
Which one was the drunk post? 10:39am?
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Ok, MSU by 15 then.
So, Saginaw by 5 over Arizona.

Both teams depleted. Both incorporating young 'uns. I'm sticking with ugly. Ugly close.

If it's an easy MSU win, then we know the team's psyche is damaged.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Ok, MSU by 15 then.
Chico State vs Saginaw State is gonna be one helluva game.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Arizona 48
Michigan State 45
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Josh Langford expected to play vs. Arizona, but Tom Izzo plans to stick with same starters

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf ... iver_index" target="_blank
Zero

Post by Zero »

Would be bad ass if in a coupe days we get a Chance and Trier expected to play.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Langford is probably on minutes restrictions with his hamstring injury. Ward may also see minutes restrictions with a back injury.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We win by 7
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Ok, MSU by 15 then.
So, Saginaw by 5 over Arizona.
The transitive property never fails.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:We win by 7
I'm thinking 4. Free throw battle at the end.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beermancats

Post by Beermancats »

Arizona hasn't lost by more than 10 in 3 seasons and only double-digit loss in that span was to Wichita State by 10. It will be close, I guarantee it.
Beermancats

Post by Beermancats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Ok, MSU by 15 then.
Chico State by 15 over Saginaw Valley State.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chico State was a good tune up for MSU. Adding Chance adds more needed depth, Cats gonna be bigger (my guess). I'm curious to see how well we shoot the 3.

Arizona by 2. 8-)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beermancats wrote:
Arizona hasn't lost by more than 10 in 3 seasons and only double-digit loss in that span was to Wichita State by 10. It will be close, I guarantee it.
15 points is close...kinda. Not many Arizona teams are without their best player going into the first game of the season nor do they lose their only guy capable of somewhat defending MSU's best player going into the first game either. Lots of defensive problems and shooting problems with this team right now. Doesn't being the warm and fuzzies.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Choo choo may be right, but he is neglecting to note the similar issues that MSU has. It will be a closer game than 15 IMO...don't know who will win, but I think that it will be close.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I flat out don't think MSU is good enough to beat us by 20. Maybe it bites me in the ass Friday, but I don't think they are
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Perimeter defense is crucial for us. Arizona by 3 as Lauri and Ristic have good games.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is a big game, obviously. Even though it's so early, whoever wins gets to add a "quality win" to their tourney resume in March. These wins can be the difference between getting into the tourney and missing out.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:This is a big game, obviously. Even though it's so early, whoever wins gets to add a "quality win" to their tourney resume in March. These wins can be the difference between getting into the tourney and missing out.
Are you that down on Miller that Trier is that much of a difference? I am concerned about seeding and what this game means for that if the team makes the tournament. Eight solid players without Trier.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:Perimeter defense is crucial for us. Arizona by 3 as Lauri and Ristic have good games.
College basketball is most definitely a guards game. Offensively I think Lauri/Ristic will do great, but defensively against smaller quicker players? Good luck.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

I think it's a close one and we win by 3.

Experienced guard play will be the key for us, and will continue to be so early in the new season.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Perimeter defense is crucial for us. Arizona by 3 as Lauri and Ristic have good games.
College basketball is most definitely a guards game. Offensively I think Lauri/Ristic will do great, but defensively against smaller quicker players? Good luck.
Apparently Mich St is bigger than us, so the Euro Duo should prosper against the bigger slower players right?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:These wins can be the difference between getting into the tourney and missing out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:This is a big game, obviously. Even though it's so early, whoever wins gets to add a "quality win" to their tourney resume in March. These wins can be the difference between getting into the tourney and missing out.
We haven't started the season. We're ranked in the top ten. You're already talking about whether we can make the tourney or miss it.