Really like this team

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

billk78

Really like this team

Post by billk78 »

I'm reading so many negative posts after tonight's loss to Butler, and I'm very disappointed with the outcome as well, but I have to say I really like this Cats team. That was an exciting game from start to finish. Credit Butler for playing very well for long stretches.

Anyway, this team has a ton of fight. In the Mich State game they were down big early, but they show tremendous resilience and fought back to get a last second win. Tonight it didn't look good early in the second half, but the Cats went on a nice run to take the lead (too bad they gave it away at the end). Man, there was so much energy among those players tonight. I see some excellent chemistry developing in our young guys. Allen is a great leader; PJC flashes amazing plays but does still have to improve; Ristic is improving every game; Markannen is a stud who got screwed by the refs tonight (maybe it's a different outcome had he been out there at the end); Comanche and Pinder do the dirty work; Simmons is full of energy and has so much potential....same with Alkins.

The sky is not falling. This was a non-conference loss with a shallow bench on back-to-back nights. Butler is a good team who I think will finish in the top 25 and make the tournament. How deep this team can go is going to depend heavily on Trier's status. But the pieces are there. Either way, I think it's going to be a fun season to watch.
Gilbertcat

Re: Really like this team

Post by Gilbertcat »

It's one game. Everyone knows that without zo this team is similar to last year. Hopefully we won't get paired against a higher ranked team because the committee is drinking again
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I like this team too. Bigger picture: this is a bubble team. We're going to lose 6 to 8 games in the Pac, finish between 3rd and 5th, lose in the semis of the Pac tourney, and probably lose in the round of 32. It's a tough pill, given what we could've been with Ray and Zo. Maybe Ayton and next year's class can get us back to the S-16.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Beachcat97 wrote:I like this team too. Bigger picture: this is a bubble team. We're going to lose 6 to 8 games in the Pac, finish between 3rd and 5th, lose in the semis of the Pac tourney, and probably lose in the round of 32. It's a tough pill, given what we could've been with Ray and Zo. Maybe Ayton and next year's class can get us back to the S-16.
Don't come back
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I like this team too. Bigger picture: this is a bubble team. We're going to lose 6 to 8 games in the Pac, finish between 3rd and 5th, lose in the semis of the Pac tourney, and probably lose in the round of 32. It's a tough pill, given what we could've been with Ray and Zo. Maybe Ayton and next year's class can get us back to the S-16.
You are literally the worst.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I like good beer. Bigger picture: I need more beer for the weekend. I'm about to drive to the store to get more beer, but I'll get a flat tire on the way there. When I try to change it, the jack will break under the weight of the car and leave me paralyzed. It's a tough pill to swallow for a guy who just likes beer and didn't want to run out. Maybe next year I'll be able to beg for enough spare change to lay beneath a highway overpass and drink a tall can of Milwaukee's Best.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

OMG, that has to be the worst take by any poster I have ever read. Bubble team? Seriously? Any of those other could happen but this team is far too talented offensively to doubt. Given a full year to mature and I like our chances
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

azcat49 wrote:

OMG, that has to be the worst take by any poster I have ever read. Bubble team? Seriously? Any of those other could happen but this team is far too talented offensively to doubt. Given a full year to mature and I like our chances
Word!

It's way too early to know how a team will play in March. This is a very young team and should grow tremendously as the season progresses. They are a fun team to watch and will only get better as they continue to gel. The main reason I like college basketball so much is watching players' grow.
Last edited by Catintheheat on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I agree. BeachCat must be having PTSD from the Wichita State game.

Now if the officials continue to do last night's number on Markkanen like they did on Zeus for four years, get back to me.

But even if PJC regresses, this team has far too much talent to be a tournament "maybe" in March. Top three conference lock and protected seed, minimum.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We'll revisit in March. I said we'd lose to Butler and was met with the same sentiment. There's nothing wrong with being realistic about this team. If anyone thinks we're actually a top 10 team and likely to win the Pac, I'd love to hear the reasoning.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:We'll revisit in March. I said we'd lose to Butler and was met with the same sentiment. There's nothing wrong with being realistic about this team. If anyone thinks we're actually a top 10 team and likely to win the Pac, I'd love to hear the reasoning.
You were right, and we were wrong. Maybe you're right again about Arizona as a bubble team, and we're wrong again. Maybe we should continue to look to your posts for guidance through March.

Or maybe you weren't met with the same sentiment about losing to Butler. Maybe others had rational takes that didn't like Arizona's chances in this back-to-back game. Maybe you're publicly having yourself a pity party with your own volatile and irrational emotions, and then defending yourself by misleadingly casting yourself as a prophet rather than a negative Nancy yesterday.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Beachcat97 wrote:We'll revisit in March. I said we'd lose to Butler and was met with the same sentiment. There's nothing wrong with being realistic about this team. If anyone thinks we're actually a top 10 team and likely to win the Pac, I'd love to hear the reasoning.
If we get Zo back I actually think it will come down to us and UCLA. I actually think UCLA is really good and I think you have to be able to score to win championships in college basketball
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote: I like this team too. Bigger picture: this is a bubble team. We're going to lose 6 to 8 games in the Pac, finish between 3rd and 5th, lose in the semis of the Pac tourney, and probably lose in the round of 32. It's a tough pill, given what we could've been with Ray and Zo. Maybe Ayton and next year's class can get us back to the S-16.
What's the part of this post where you say WHY you like the team?

Anyway, I was impressed with the late-game run/comeback. My son, who didn't really care (he's a Husky) said it was a great game. It was. Butler is just more seasoned at this point. We're not at full strength, but, man, fought like, well, Wildcats.
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This team is one elite scorer away from the Final Four.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I like this team too. Bigger picture: this is a bubble team.
I like you. Bigger picture: you post stuff like this and then get bothered when people don't like it.

This team has potential. We've showed fight against MSU and Butler. Butler is a decent team and a loss is not the end of the world. It sucks how it happened, particularly the reffing. That said, the long term development is what matters. Getting Trier back would really elevate things.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone wanna go on record for predicting the Zaga game? How about our Pac finish?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sure, we beat the zags and we finish 2nd in the conference
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:Sure, we beat the zags and we finish 2nd in the conference
Disagree on both, especially the latter pick, which you have to know is not happening. But we'll see.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well I think UCLA will win the conference and we will finish second with Oregon third.

I actually like the Stanford coach and think they could move into the upper division along with California and maybe Udub or Utah.

I do have questions about our PG play, especially late in the game like last night. To date, I think it has been good and I am hopeful we can progress. My biggest concern is our defense and certain combinations that get us in trouble
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Disagree on both, especially the latter pick, which you have to know is not happening. But we'll see.
Disagree based on what? You asked if anyone wanted to predict the Gonzaga game and our conference finish. Azcat49 obliged, and you say that he has to know Arizona won't finish 2nd in the PAC. What's your analysis? How does the variable of Trier's possible return play out with what you know and azcat49 and the rest of us don't know?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Trier isn't coming back, so turn the page. Focus on the players who are eligible.

UCLA and OR will be the league's best teams by March. Big drop off after that, so I'd put AZ among a group of teams fighting for 3rd thru 5th.

We were counting on a lot of points coming from our 2 spot (ie: from Trier). Our other guards are good but not star level, nowhere near what OR and UCLA have.

LM is our best offensive player, but as we saw last night, he's still adjusting to the American college game, where fouls are called differently. He's a smart player and will be fine.

PJC is clearly improved, but can he defend the Pac's best backcourts?

CSM needs these guys to commit to being great defensively, as his best teams have done. UCLA and OR are dominant offensive teams, but so far, I haven't seen an exceptional defensive team in the Pac. Can AZ be that team?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Trier isn't coming back, so turn the page.
You know literally nothing, but I get a kick out of imagining you crying as you typed that stupid post.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Trier isn't coming back, so turn the page.
You know literally nothing, but I get a kick out of imagining you crying as you typed that stupid post.
Hey c'mon, BC97 has as much inside info as Ace.

Ace: Zo is coming back
BC97: Zo is not coming back

Both can't be right, but at least BC didn't bet a site on it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

All that said, I do like this team, regardless of how low in the Pac they're going to finish. Not always about wins and losses.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Troll harder
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Even if Trier doesn't return I still like AZ to finish second. LM will be a nightmare for our conference (other than for the 2 other top contenders and even they may struggle with him off the bounce).

Miller will tinker with the lineups and by late December, watch out. We need to find a way for Pinder to be more offensively inclined as Butler just ran his guy off of him to the other post.

I think our perimeter guys will get more efficient but what I am hoping for is a more consistent effort defensively. Way to many breakdowns
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dosia wrote:Troll harder
He can't. That's his intellectual limit.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Dosia wrote:Troll harder
He can't. That's his intellectual limit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So you can troll harder? Don't be afraid to crank it up to 100%...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I do really like this team, though. Excited to see them in person next weekend. Go Cats!
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Beachcat97 wrote:I do really like this team, though. Excited to see them in person next weekend. Go Cats!
Why are you constantly stating that you like this team? Isn't that implied by the fact that you are posting on an Arizona fan message board?

You're like a robot telling everyone he feels love.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I like to type.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

luteformayor2 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I do really like this team, though. Excited to see them in person next weekend. Go Cats!
Why are you constantly stating that you like this team? Isn't that implied by the fact that you are posting on an Arizona fan message board?

You're like a robot telling everyone he feels love.
Yeah. No need for a post, let alone an entire thread, on really liking this team. Who would even read that?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:All that said, I do like this team, regardless of how low in the Pac they're going to finish. Not always about wins and losses.
Sometimes it's about how physically attractive you find the players.
prh

Post by prh »

Is there a secret competition between BC and R+F to see who can have the worst posts in here?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The floor for this team is a 6-7 seed. Not a bubble.

Who is supposed to stop a top 3 finish in the PAC? UCLA is doing a great job of steamrolling the teams they should. Good for them. They finished 10th last year, though, and part of that is horrible coaching. Don't think that isn't a factor. And look at how we are with how many losses of personnel? UCLA is one poorly placed loss of a few games by a major player from a freefall. Oregon? They were good, not great last year. We had our chances with a really fractured team with a bunch of one year pieces. Oregon deserved what they got last year, but they were a Sweet 16 level team who played above ability for a bit. They are still the favorites, but not impossible.

Who else. Cal? Please.

Right now, without Trier, we are a 13-5 PAC team with a 2 loss out of conference schedule. A 26-8 type team after the PAC tournament. There is no scenario that doesn't involve further injuries and loss of personnel that puts us anywhere near a bubble.

Our ceiling right now is a 4 seed. With Trier, it is a 2 seed. With the status quo, we are a 4 to 7 seed. The bubble is down around 11/12 for major programs. We are 16 to 20 spots above any bubble in our worst case scenario.

Sometimes, it helps to think about the actual comment before typing said comment...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone wanna go on record for predicting the Zaga game? How about our Pac finish?
Anyone wanna run this red light before looking both ways?
Last edited by gumby on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azcat49 wrote:Well I think UCLA will win the conference and we will finish second with Oregon third.

I actually like the Stanford coach and think they could move into the upper division along with California and maybe Udub or Utah.

I do have questions about our PG play, especially late in the game like last night. To date, I think it has been good and I am hopeful we can progress. My biggest concern is our defense and certain combinations that get us in trouble
Think USC is overlooked. Like them better than Cal, Stanford and UDub (not good). Could be better than Utah.
gumby

Post by gumby »

OH, and at this point, I like UCLA over Oregon. Hard to guard. Will probably ramp up D in big games.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I actually really like this team too. Bigger picture: this is a super young & fun team to watch. It's lone senior is a Community College transfer & it's Point Guard leader is an undersized kid who keeps busting his ass even though much of the fan base is concerned he's not good enough. Hey - speaking of not good enough...it's a tough pill to swallow, thinking about all of the ways UofA isn't good enough & then announcing with confidence how the season will play out before they've even played 6 games that matter. Good for you for swallowing that pill BC.

Truth be told...I don't care if Gonzaga wins. Not if our squad plays really hard & shows improvement. & I don't know what the hell is the story with Trier...it's maybe the most frustrated I've been with not knowing any details in a story in YEARS.

But this team is fun to watch & they are only going to get better because that's one of the things Miller is really good at. Congrats to all of us who are going to sit back and enjoy the ride. :)
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Still really salty about the Butler game, but hopefully Butler continues to play well and that loss turns into a "half-win." Regardless, we are six games into this season with two good early tests away from McKale and without Trier and have come out of it 5-1. I honestly like our chances against Gonzaga. There are a couple of other nonconference games left that could end badly for us if we don't show up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Still really salty about the Butler game, but hopefully Butler continues to play well and that loss turns into a "half-win." Regardless, we are six games into this season with two good early tests away from McKale and without Trier and have come out of it 5-1. I honestly like our chances against Gonzaga. There are a couple of other nonconference games left that could end badly for us if we don't show up.
From last night's game, aTm is no joke. We can beat them, but it will be a challenge. Zaga is beatable, but we're not in a place to take things for granted right now.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Beachcat97 wrote:
For once, I agree with Beachcat, at least on the second part. I think we beat Gonzaga and finish 1st in the PAC. Oregon looks beatable, and Alford's teams are never as good as their talent would indicate.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

qwertyus wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
For once, I agree with Beachcat, at least on the second part. I think we beat Gonzaga and finish 1st in the PAC. Oregon looks beatable, and Alford's teams are never as good as their talent would indicate.
I don't know how you can predict at this point. Trier is such a massive variable.

We may or may not have our best player in the lineup. Our fortunes are completely intertwined with that. I would say we are favorites vs Zaga and in the Pac with Zo.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I don't know how you can predict at this point. Trier is such a massive variable.

We may or may not have our best player in the lineup. Our fortunes are completely intertwined with that. I would say we are favorites vs Zaga and in the Pac with Zo.
I can predict all I want. It's not going to change what happens. Beachcat and I both don't see us as 2nd in the PAC. I see us in 1st, he sees us 3rd or worse. Neither prediction will change what happens.

I agree that this team is much improved with Trier. I think the most growth in this team will come from improved play from the bigs. We got into so much foul trouble against Butler, and it was because we played 4 guards that we lost the game in the last minutes. We'll need Pinder, Chance, Ristic, and LM to play smart and play hard. Yeah, LM puts up gaudy numbers and is a special player, but even he was doomed by ticky-tack fouls. Ristic still isn't as good defensively as I think any of us would like. Chance, by contrast, needs to work on his offensive game. Pinder, for all his energy, is a reincarnation of Jesse Perry, so while he'll give us a big boost, we'll need more than just heart to win.

Trier coming back is a big lift, but it's the bigs that are going to make or break us.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We're now starting to appear in rankings closer to where we really are, nationally. 16th in the AP now, which is too high, and Jeff Goodman left us out of his top 25 power rankings. Goodman pays close attention to AZ hoops, so this isn't some sort of slight. He knows about our unfortunate roster situation and sees what we are: a team that should be ranked somewhere between 20th and 30th nationally.

On the Pac race, OR will get well and make a run, but right now, it's UCLA way ahead of everyone else. There'll be more drama among teams fighting for 2nd through 5th. AZ will finish between 3rd and 5th. And Zaga is going to beat us on Saturday.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

11th place would be a pleasant surprise this year.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I will go on record. U of A wins Saturday and is third or better in conference play.

I like this team but not more than friends. Actually I would say I love but am not in love with this team.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Welp this is a shit thread.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

PHXCATS wrote:I will go on record. U of A wins Saturday and is third or better in conference play.

I like this team but not more than friends. Actually I would say I love but am not in love with this team.
Not even "friends with benefits"?