let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '20

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:With maybe no football this year and losing that revenue, and needing to fire Sumlin first I don't see any harm in giving Miller an extension.

Especially one that fixes the clause where he gets paid more if he gets fired WITH cause.
Truth be told Miller should either be fired or extended right now. Football is holding the administration hostage from making the former decision and Miller's lack of success on the court is holding the administration hostage on making the latter decision. Either way they're doing this all wrong, which should not come as a surprise.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Crazy what a difference a year makes. Last year at this time we were impatiently waiting for our highly rated freshman class to come in and get us winning again. Turns out that class’s impact was greatly overestimated and now the cupboard is increasingly bare, and Miller’s recruiting success appears to be weakening.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Every incoming class is overestimated. Freshmen shouldn't be in a position to make an impact. If that's what we expect of our freshmen, it means we have the wrong freshmen.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:With maybe no football this year and losing that revenue, and needing to fire Sumlin first I don't see any harm in giving Miller an extension.

Especially one that fixes the clause where he gets paid more if he gets fired WITH cause.
Truth be told Miller should either be fired or extended right now. Football is holding the administration hostage from making the former decision and Miller's lack of success on the court is holding the administration hostage on making the latter decision. Either way they're doing this all wrong, which should not come as a surprise.
It's insane that he would get an extension.

It would just make it more expensive and hurt the program for a couple of years more

Rip the band-aid off
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Yeah I agree that the move should be made right now but I don’t think an extension should be an option. We would have to be out of our minds to extend him now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

It's insane that he would get an extension.

It would just make it more expensive and hurt the program for a couple of years more

Rip the band-aid off
I agree. Let the football program continue to suffer. Fix basketball.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Either way to get the thread back on track the focus is on Haarms big time. Arizona hasn't given up on Walton, but they've gotten way more aggressive with Charles Minlend, so it's probably a first to commit situation now. I think the international guard happens too, but I don't know complete details there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
The football program makes a much larger profit than basketball.

FB $5.4M expenses $43.2M revenue

Mens's bball $3.4M expenses $22.4M revenue
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I could not care less. One or two more years of Sumlin are not going to kill football any more than it already is. Focus on your program that matters nationally and then fix the other when you have time and money.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merk, are those football numbers right? I thought the expenses were in the 20+ million neighborhood?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Either way to get the thread back on track the focus is on Haarms big time. Arizona hasn't given up on Walton, but they've gotten way more aggressive with Charles Minlend, so it's probably a first to commit situation now. I think the international guard happens too, but I don't know complete details there.
Haarms would be a decent pickup but idk I don’t have a good vibe there, doesn’t feel like the kind of kid we will get in our current situation.

Also- do you know if the international guard is Kriisa? Or someone else? Kriisa would be a great pickup.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I would think the COVID-19 stuff is starting to affect recruiting as well.

If I was a parent of a recruit right now I wouldn't want my kid going somewhere more than a short car ride away.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

It would be interesting to see the profit delta between having a successful program in football versus having one in basketball. I mean, the football program hasn’t been successful for years. So is this profit going to shrink much no matter how bad we suck? Conversely how much can it grow? Meanwhile, basketball is at peak profit levels right now. How much could it shrink? Hope somebody smarter than me is doing the calculus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Where are you getting those numbers Merk? Those expenses for football look way off.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Fuck football. Let’s fix hoops.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:Merk, are those football numbers right? I thought the expenses were in the 20+ million neighborhood?
ChooChooCat wrote:Where are you getting those numbers Merk? Those expenses for football look way off.

That's what was reported to the Dept of Education.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/search" target="_blank

And my mistake, I was looking at operating expenses, you are right, total expenses is $22,548,661. Sorry for the confusion!
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Either way to get the thread back on track the focus is on Haarms big time. Arizona hasn't given up on Walton, but they've gotten way more aggressive with Charles Minlend, so it's probably a first to commit situation now. I think the international guard happens too, but I don't know complete details there.
Haarms would be a decent pickup but idk I don’t have a good vibe there, doesn’t feel like the kind of kid we will get in our current situation.

Also- do you know if the international guard is Kriisa? Or someone else? Kriisa would be a great pickup.

Choo has said the euro guard is Kerr Kriisa, not sure on euro big we’re on though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

Choo has said the euro guard is Kerr Kriisa, not sure on euro big we’re on though.
I know who he is now and I'm still unclear on our ultimate chances though.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Seems like a nice well spoken humble young man.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Fuck football. Let’s fix hoops.

You should have been a zags fan. Would have worked better for you
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Fuck football. Let’s fix hoops.

You should have been a zags fan. Would have worked better for you
They sucked before Few got there.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

dmjcat wrote:
Excellent decision by Williams IMHO. Our win streak against Stanford will be ending very soon. Thank God Miller's time is short barring a miracle. Hopefully Sumlin goes bye bye soon thereafter. It's hard to fathom but certainly possible that football/basketball combine for less than 20 wins next year. Brace for impact.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Who cares about football. AZ has been irrelevant for decades. The concern is the basketball program, one of the elite programs over the past 30+ years, now moving into a period of mediocrity. If the clock on Miller is indeed ticking, the next hire will be crucial.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

midnightx wrote:Who cares about football. AZ has been irrelevant for decades. The concern is the basketball program, one of the elite programs over the past 30+ years, now moving into a period of mediocrity. If the clock on Miller is indeed ticking, the next hire will be crucial.
This.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Captain Obvious wrote:Excellent decision by Williams IMHO.
Your trolling is subpar as per usual. At least put some effort into it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Sure feels like any recruiting momentum or mojo Miller once had is just about gone.
az91

Post by az91 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Sure feels like any recruiting momentum or mojo Miller once had is just about gone.
Yup, this season was his last hope to right the ship. He is now a lame duck waiting for the administration to get the money together to fire him.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No reason the get any money because they will just let his contract expire or negotiate the last year next year. I wouldn’t count out Miller yet though
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Chicat wrote:
At least your old lady appreciated my effort. :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Sure feels like any recruiting momentum or mojo Miller once had is just about gone.
If he lands one or both of the Euros it'll significantly improve next year's team IMO. I really really like the post player if we can get him.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
If he lands one or both of the Euros it'll significantly improve next year's team IMO. I really really like the post player if we can get him.
So if we get both and Haarms is it time to be excited again? Or is that not even a possibility?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well Charles Minlend committed to Louisville out of nowhere. Miller really really struggling to end this class.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
So if we get both and Haarms is it time to be excited again? Or is that not even a possibility?
Only landing one more post. So if we gets Haarms then that's it for the Euro big.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I’ve said this in the past but pivoting to a euro-heavy recruiting approach is really smart. Just wish he had done this two years ago. Hoping we can get one or both of them so I can have just an ounce of hope this year.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah, I'd say so. A bad season this year should do it barring the season just not happening.

Edit: I see I missed the post about this already. Still, the rest of my point stands.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Haarms is a big recruit for Arizona - if Miller can land him he is one step closer to piecing it together for next year and probably staying alive
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

one Has to think Miller and staff have a few aces up their sleeve. Maybe they are very comfortable with a couple of those international player Choo talked about and maybe the new assistant has another relationship he can pull?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Captain Obvious wrote:
Chicat wrote:
At least your old lady appreciated my effort. :lol:

Let me be the first to say F you dude. Way out of bounds loser
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:Haarms is a big recruit for Arizona - if Miller can land him he is one step closer to piecing it together for next year and probably staying alive
I know you’re a fan but Haarms largely doesn’t do it for me. He essentially got benched on a pretty bad Purdue team this year and clearly regressed from his sophomore year. I think he’s a decent rotational big but don’t think he’s a needle-mover.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Haarms has played in a lot of big battle tested game and would give Arizona size (he’s a legit 7’3) athleticism, and shot blocking paired with Koloko that few teams could match - add in a 6’11 Brown and Miller is a few pieces away from scrapping it together again.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Nobody remembers the opponents layup line when Miller played two 7 footers together?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:Haarms has played in a lot of big battle tested game and would give Arizona size (he’s a legit 7’3) athleticism, and shot blocking paired with Koloko that few teams could match - add in a 6’11 Brown and Miller is a few pieces away from scrapping it together again.
Center and Power forward would certainly be locked down. The 2 and 3 spots though YEESH.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:Haarms has played in a lot of big battle tested game and would give Arizona size (he’s a legit 7’3) athleticism, and shot blocking paired with Koloko that few teams could match - add in a 6’11 Brown and Miller is a few pieces away from scrapping it together again.
Center and Power forward would certainly be locked down. The 2 and 3 spots though YEESH.
I would definitely hate not adding a combo forward though...no idea why Miller doesn't feel the need to have at least one on every roster.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Isn’t Terry a combo forward?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Isn’t Terry a combo forward?
No.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote:
So is Arizona chasing 3 euros?

Scheer has kinda hinted at chasing two international kids who play similar positions.

I doubt Arizona would be chasing 2 bigs, unless the other one is a 3/4 combo? Which makes me think it's two guards/wings players
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
he would still conceivably have three spots to fill with the addition of perhaps Haarms and would have to do well on the other three for the reason(s) you mentioned - two guards spots and a bruiser type player would be best case.

ive learned one thing in the last 11 years with Miller, he seems to always be able to pull players together and land guys - until the final roster is set i will reserve judgement, but Haarms would be a good start at this point.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Except college ball is still all about the guards, no?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Except college ball is still all about the guards, no?
yes i could agree with that to a certain extent.

sadly, i dont think if Miller lands Haarms he's thinking its a Final Four type addition what he currently has, i think he understands that adding rare size to his already existing size at this stage in the game could get him to 20wins and a NCAA birth, which realistically is a solid accomplishment given the roster currently.

guards are more impactful in the high level to high level games, and yes can certainly take over and control the college game - when they play in bunches its magnificent to watch.

in Arizona's case next year, size could be the path if they landed Haarms.
Last edited by 97cats on Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.