let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '20

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:Is there any idea how many years Kriisa plans on being here?
You never know, but I doubt very much he'd be in the one and done convo.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Choose how do you feel about the Purdue big mama and do the Cats have a chance?
Kentucky.

Damn. Thanks for the insight
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I trust Euros playing serious ball oversees more than AAU freshmen.

Am I wrong?
I don't know if you're wrong, but I feel the same way.

Adding to this, I think having a sophomore Koloko means Arizona could of course use, but actually doesn't need, that Harmms 7' 3" grad transfer from Purdue Chicken.

Am I wrong?
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:Is there any idea how many years Kriisa plans on being here?
You never know, but I doubt very much he'd be in the one and done convo.
Wonderful thanks Choo
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Choo what’s your feeling on other Euro?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Merkin wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I trust Euros playing serious ball oversees more than AAU freshmen.

Am I wrong?
Watching the highlight videos, thinking the same thing. Kerr is playing with men, instead of teens, along with having to play defense.
Aren't the highlights from a U-18 tournament?

I was thinking he looks athletically limited. At least that should keep him around for a few years.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:Givony called him the best international prospect committed to play in college for this 2020 class...
You could easily argue the other Euro we're on is even better.
is he a big man who can shoot
cause we def need one of those next year
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Choo what’s your feeling on other Euro?
I have no reason to think it doesn't happen, but people on the other site need to quit fucking talking about him already. This is supposed to be quiet for a reason.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Choose how do you feel about the Purdue big mama and do the Cats have a chance?
Kentucky.

De you really want a season of Walton saying “stay out of Haarms way”?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Postmaster wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Kentucky.

De you really want a season of Walton saying “stay out of Haarms way”?
Fuck yeah I do
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I have no reason to think it doesn't happen, but people on the other site need to quit fucking talking about him already. This is supposed to be quiet for a reason.
Yeah some dude over there is dropping serious hints, not ideal. Let’s hope it doesn’t really get out before he decides.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yeah some dude over there is dropping serious hints, not ideal. Let’s hope it doesn’t really get out before he decides.
Sorry, are you guys talking about something that's at least behind a pay wall and getting deleted fairly quickly? Or is some jackass freely jeopardizing us again?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Sorry, are you guys talking about something that's at least behind a pay wall and getting deleted fairly quickly? Or is some jackass freely jeopardizing us again?
It's behind a paywall. Either way it's jeopardizing us.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Some people are helpless. Even when Jason makes it clear he can’t say you have the village idiots letting the cat out of the bag.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Choo has your opinion changed about Miller or at least have you gone neutral about not extending him? It really appears to me Miller is building a competitive team for the upcoming season with a bunch of guys who will stick around and have a good chance at making a run the following season.

It seems he really wants to win and is shifting away from these pit stop players. Maybe sprinkle them in here and there but not have to rely on them for continuity.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Nice thing about our little website here is that 99.3% of use don’t know shit and the other .7% are careful and considerate.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

It’s not hard to tell who is running to that site with Choos info. Same usernames as they use here
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dosia wrote:Choo has your opinion changed about Miller or at least have you gone neutral about not extending him? It really appears to me Miller is building a competitive team for the upcoming season with a bunch of guys who will stick around and have a good chance at making a run the following season.

It seems he really wants to win and is shifting away from these pit stop players. Maybe sprinkle them in here and there but not have to rely on them for continuity.
I'm neutral, but if you want him to be able to recruit the 2021 class you need to extend him. The point of firing him is obviously too far gone.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Are either of the euros possible starters?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:Givony called him the best international prospect committed to play in college for this 2020 class...
Have a feeling if we get the other Euro as well, we’re gonna be on the fringe of a lot of preseason top 25s but if you asked NBA Scouts, we would be a top 10ish team talent-wise.

Of course this past season, we could say the same (ie being a top 10 team talent-wise) and we underperformed to say the least, but still exciting to at least have a chance at being a really good team next year.
I don’t think we underperformed. We had three talented yet inexperienced freshmen who carried us. The veterans could have been the difference between what we were and a top 10 team. Our veterans were the major disappointment.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Dosia wrote:Choo has your opinion changed about Miller or at least have you gone neutral about not extending him? It really appears to me Miller is building a competitive team for the upcoming season with a bunch of guys who will stick around and have a good chance at making a run the following season.
Quick question: when you say “competitive”, what are we “competing” for?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

zonagrad wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Have a feeling if we get the other Euro as well, we’re gonna be on the fringe of a lot of preseason top 25s but if you asked NBA Scouts, we would be a top 10ish team talent-wise.

Of course this past season, we could say the same (ie being a top 10 team talent-wise) and we underperformed to say the least, but still exciting to at least have a chance at being a really good team next year.
I don’t think we underperformed. We had three talented yet inexperienced freshmen who carried us. The veterans could have been the difference between what we were and a top 10 team. Our veterans were the major disappointment.
Manion and Green underperformed for how hyped up they were. In the end their value add versus a replacement level upperclassman felt like a wash.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

SCCats wrote:
With B will a pac12 title but only a run to the sweet 16. Without B will i would say a top 4 finish like last season, but with the understanding that the team will return and improve the following year unlike this past year.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

we will be a pretty great passing team next year

dalen and kerr are high level and bwill is very good

akinjo & brown also seem pretty good there
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Dosia wrote:
SCCats wrote:
With B will a pac12 title but only a run to the sweet 16. Without B will i would say a top 4 finish like last season, but with the understanding that the team will return and improve the following year unlike this past year.
Right now we basically aren’t considered a tournament team.

I mean I get it, we probably will cobble some dudes together and squeak into the tournament in the end. But ideas like competing for a PAC title...
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I actually think we’ll have a solid team. Brown will be essentially a 3rd year player, a former McDonalds All-American. Between Kerr & Akinjo, that’s two solid, experienced guards. They’re not freshmen. Mathurin is going to be a pleasant surprise.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:Are either of the euros possible starters?
Yes
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I'm neutral, but if you want him to be able to recruit the 2021 class you need to extend him. The point of firing him is obviously too far gone.
Crazy. We’re in a weird spot with Coach Miller.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Dosia wrote:
SCCats wrote:
The hard part about the B Will situation is that it's not just him being healthy to start the season, which itself remains uncertain. It's him *staying* healthy throughout the season and being able to play big minutes late in the year. Obviously we're all pulling for BW, and it would be thrilling to see him return to top form.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Dosia wrote:
SCCats wrote:
The hard part about the B Will situation is that it's not just him being healthy to start the season, which itself remains uncertain. It's him *staying* healthy throughout the season and being able to play big minutes late in the year. Obviously we're all pulling for BW, and it would be thrilling to see him return to top form.

I'd be ecstatic if the Cats could get 10-12 minutes out of him. And do what they did with Luke Walton, don't let him practice half the week.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

With the Kerr addition will T Brown become another Hazzard?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can they extend him in the current financial environment? Seems they would have to wait a year just to know what the market place looks like after the virus takes its toll on revenue’s and attendance
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I like Scheer but it is rough looking at WA. Too many ads and seems like even on free boards a large part of comments are behind pay wall.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Any chance Arizona reengages with Anselem now that he has reclassified and opened his list back up?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:Any chance Arizona reengages with Anselem now that he has reclassified and opened his list back up?
Nope.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Postmaster wrote:I like Scheer but it is rough looking at WA. Too many ads and seems like even on free boards a large part of comments are behind pay wall.
Completely agree, I don't even check it anymore.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Any chance Arizona reengages with Anselem now that he has reclassified and opened his list back up?
Nope.
Good. I hope Miller and his team continues to prioritize the Euro big as the final puzzle piece this year.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

zonagrad wrote:I actually think we’ll have a solid team. Brown will be essentially a 3rd year player, a former McDonalds All-American. Between Kerr & Akinjo, that’s two solid, experienced guards. They’re not freshmen. Mathurin is going to be a pleasant surprise.
We will have a solid team.

That can compete for a 9 seed in the tourney.

Compete for the PAC title: no.

Be an 8th best program in the nation team: no.

No.

No.

Accept you are a fringe top 25 team. Or embrace getting rid of Sean.

Choice is yours. And all of ours.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

SCCats wrote:
zonagrad wrote:I actually think we’ll have a solid team. Brown will be essentially a 3rd year player, a former McDonalds All-American. Between Kerr & Akinjo, that’s two solid, experienced guards. They’re not freshmen. Mathurin is going to be a pleasant surprise.

No.

No.

Miller essentially had to rebuild from scratch thanks to the FBI/ESPN fiasco and also lost a key player (Williams) to build around. The roster is beginning to look like a long term commitment of players, which should stabilize things. You have no way of knowing how good next year’s team can become.

If you part ways with Miller now, which is probably too late, who do you expect to hire? I need specific names. You’re sending a message that 5 conference titles and 3 Elite 8s in 10 years isn’t good enough. You certainly won’t get a coach who has job security risk his career knowing the coach before him, with a winning percentage like Miller’s, was axed. Who are you gonna hire???
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

tired of the the Miller era. He's too damn uptight.

But... we are stuck for now. Hell we don't even know if we will have a season next year.

Extend him three years and wait for things to stabilize.

He's earned a chance.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

zonagrad wrote:
SCCats wrote:

No.

No.

Miller essentially had to rebuild from scratch thanks to the FBI/ESPN fiasco and also lost a key player (Williams) to build around. The roster is beginning to look like a long term commitment of players, which should stabilize things. You have no way of knowing how good next year’s team can become.

If you part ways with Miller now, which is probably too late, who do you expect to hire? I need specific names. You’re sending a message that 5 conference titles and 3 Elite 8s in 10 years isn’t good enough. You certainly won’t get a coach who has job security risk his career knowing the coach before him, with a winning percentage like Miller’s, was axed. Who are you gonna hire???
Who brought the FBI to us?

Who promised a new dawn after that?

Who failed to deliver that new dawn?

Who turned a top 8 program into a fringe top 25 one?

And then into a fringe tournament one?

And, as others have asked....on top of all that...who’s having fun?

Who would I hire? Get me out some darts, I’ll throw them randomly at some pictures. Pretty decent chance whoever I hit won’t do worse than turning the 8th best franchise into the 40th best.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Sorry if I missed this upthread, but any chance with Haarms or is he likely to commit elsewhere?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Sorry if I missed this upthread, but any chance with Haarms or is he likely to commit elsewhere?

I guessed Kentucky a while back and Choo confirmed it upthread.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:
Officially excited about Kriisa. He looks like a very good offensive player.

The one thing that always irks about these highlight videos is that they hardly ever give a sense of a guy's defensive ability. I didn't see any steals or charges taken in that footage. We've seen a lot of good guards come through Miller's program, but not too many have been truly dominant on the defensive side. Anyway, just a thought.

Our backcourt situation is looking very promising for 2020-21.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Nathan Bittle next??
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Why is he named after Steve Kerr?
What’s the connection?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote:Why is he named after Steve Kerr?
What’s the connection?
That's the first I heard of it too, so looked it up.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... a2b1d.html" target="_blank

But Kerr Kriisa didn’t know such a thing was possible until the Wildcats began recruiting him last fall. The Estonian point guard, who committed to Arizona on Saturday, thought he was just named after the guy who played for the great Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls teams of the 1990s.

Well, he was. It’s just that Kriisa didn’t know that Steve Kerr also happens to have a jersey hanging in the McKale Center rafters, or that the Golden State Warriors’ coach played for Arizona at all.

“That’s actually — it’s hilarious,” Kriisa said by phone Saturday from Germany, where he is riding out coronavirus restrictions with family members. “Steve was playing with Jordan and since my dad was a basketball player, from there, it came the name.

“If you’re a basketball player, you basically follow a lot of leagues and a lot of players. So, for sure, my dad can’t bring up a name like Kerr out of nowhere.”
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:Nathan Bittle next??
Not that I'm aware of. He's 2021 anyways.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Keeeeerrrrrrrr Kriiiiiiiiissssaaaaaaa. Bring it fans
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion