let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

eoe

Re: let's talk '20

Post by eoe »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:Another big man transfer has entered the transfer portal. His name is Olivier Saar and is a 7fter. Averaged about 14 and 9 at wake forest. I wonder if we pursue him. Would be a nice addition for our last roster spot
Watched him play in the crazy Double-OT upset vs Duke. He can ball
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

eoe wrote:
BeardownZonaZona wrote:Another big man transfer has entered the transfer portal. His name is Olivier Saar and is a 7fter. Averaged about 14 and 9 at wake forest. I wonder if we pursue him. Would be a nice addition for our last roster spot
Yep. Kentucky will be getting a good one. Not sure why Sean wouldn't at least give him a call.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:
Yep. Kentucky will be getting a good one. Not sure why Sean wouldn't at least give him a call.
Because we wouldn't land him. That's all it takes to not waste your own time.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Is euro #2 still an option and also will we know one way or another if he’s coming or not soon?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Is euro #2 still an option and also will we know one way or another if he’s coming or not soon?
Yes and yes.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Kriisa and Batcho finally got ranked today! 247 gave both 4 star rankings with Kriisa coming in at 61 and Batcho at 98. Not bad. We now have the 7th best recruiting class in the country and best in the PAC 12. Good stuff
I said what I said and I mean it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Mathurin also moved into the top 50.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:Mathurin also moved into the top 50.
huge jump. lets go
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Tibet Goerner is #117, up from #147
97cats

Post by 97cats »

hes a year away, imo
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

He makes doutrive look fat
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:hes a year away, imo
At least.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Get this last Euro guy and maybe we have another top 5 class and one that sticks around awhile
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Get this last Euro guy and maybe we have another top 5 class and one that sticks around awhile
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:Kriisa and Batcho finally got ranked today! 247 gave both 4 star rankings with Kriisa coming in at 61 and Batcho at 98. Not bad. We now have the 7th best recruiting class in the country and best in the PAC 12. Good stuff
I will never, ever doubt Miller’s recruiting abilities...he’s unbelievable. Really hope this class is the start of a new, positive direction for the program.
prh

Post by prh »

Those with insight into the program-- we've discussed culture and the problems with it currently. Does the huge turnover this year, and the huge shift in recruiting, give us a chance to completely reset that culture? And is there any indication that is something being worked on?
Ned Zissou

Post by Ned Zissou »

prh wrote:Those with insight into the program-- we've discussed culture and the problems with it currently. Does the huge turnover this year, and the huge shift in recruiting, give us a chance to completely reset that culture? And is there any indication that is something being worked on?
GREAT question
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:Kriisa and Batcho finally got ranked today! 247 gave both 4 star rankings with Kriisa coming in at 61 and Batcho at 98. Not bad. We now have the 7th best recruiting class in the country and best in the PAC 12. Good stuff
If we somehow end up with the best freshman class in the Pac, consider me impressed. Like, more than usual.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh wrote:Those with insight into the program-- we've discussed culture and the problems with it currently. Does the huge turnover this year, and the huge shift in recruiting, give us a chance to completely reset that culture? And is there any indication that is something being worked on?

Hopefully JeT can help with that culture, although Miller doesn't seem to listen to his assistants all that much.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Merkin wrote:
prh wrote:
Hopefully JeT can help with that culture, although Miller doesn't seem to listen to his assistants all that much.
This info is based on...?
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Merkin wrote:

I got that impression, too, when Romar was here. If it's an ego thing, what will happen when Terry has all the insights into the league? And a ring? Not to mention all his AZ accolades. Who will the players listen to?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

psiclist23 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I got that impression, too, when Romar was here. If it's an ego thing, what will happen when Terry has all the insights into the league? And a ring? Not to mention all his AZ accolades. Who will the players listen to?
How are we getting this impression? From in-game interactions?

In game, when it comes to strategy, there's one voice in the huddle. Getting guys hyped used to be Book's job (along with trying to cash in any way possible apparently). Positional instruction falls to various coaches. But as far as plays, and how the team is going to go out there and win games, it's all Sean. As it should be.

In the locker room, during practice, during off time . . . who can say who has the loudest voice in the room or who the players go to? That stuff isn't for us fans to see. Which should be fine by us. Maybe Romar was a great influence. Maybe Murph is the guy the players go to so they can bitch (doubtful). Maybe Brian Brigger is the real power behind the throne. How would we know?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

If you’ve followed Scheer for long enough you know his way of hinting. Seems like he’s dropping hints on Euro 2. We gotta good feeling on this one?
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Chicat wrote:
psiclist23 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

In game, when it comes to strategy, there's one voice in the huddle. Getting guys hyped used to be Book's job (along with trying to cash in any way possible apparently). Positional instruction falls to various coaches. But as far as plays, and how the team is going to go out there and win games, it's all Sean. As it should be.

In the locker room, during practice, during off time . . . who can say who has the loudest voice in the room or who the players go to? That stuff isn't for us fans to see. Which should be fine by us. Maybe Romar was a great influence. Maybe Murph is the guy the players go to so they can bitch (doubtful). Maybe Brian Brigger is the real power behind the throne. How would we know?
I got that impression, and that is all that it is, because AZ had the same crappy offense when Romar was here. My fantasy was that year, that the Combo of Miller's defense and Romar's offense would be killer. Didn't seem to happen.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Was that the year the KP adjusted O was 15th?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

psiclist23 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
psiclist23 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I got that impression, and that is all that it is, because AZ had the same crappy offense when Romar was here. My fantasy was that year, that the Combo of Miller's defense and Romar's offense would be killer. Didn't seem to happen.
I got the impression that Miller offered a coach he respected tremendously a one-year landing spot so he wouldn't have to go do something he was uncomfortable with (TV) and wouldn't disappear for 12 months, which can be a lifetime in coaching circles. Any benefit to Arizona was ancillary.

But that's just my impression...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Chicat wrote: I got the impression that Miller offered a coach he respected tremendously a one-year landing spot so he wouldn't have to go do something he was uncomfortable with (TV) and wouldn't disappear for 12 months, which can be a lifetime in coaching circles. Any benefit to Arizona was ancillary.

But that's just my impression...
Was that the year after Washington had an Adjusted O of 87?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:

I’m not convinced some of the assistants have been worth listening to.

There’s been a ton of turnover on the bench. The instability the last few years caused by Book, FBI, and ESPN hasn’t made it easy to attract top assistants. Heeke screwed up the Phelps dismissal. Jack Murphy was a convenient hire. Murph wasn’t exactly on solid ground at NAU and Miller was desperate for help. Gainey was inexperienced.

With the roster stabilizing, I would expect Terry & Murphy to have a greater voice and influence and help take the pressure off Miller. That’s just my opinion and hunch for the future.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

NickyBCats wrote:If you’ve followed Scheer for long enough you know his way of hinting. Seems like he’s dropping hints on Euro 2. We gotta good feeling on this one?
I was literally just thinking the same thing
I said what I said and I mean it.
eoe

Post by eoe »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Was that the year the KP adjusted O was 15th?
My man #fistbump

Also:
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... head-coach

For us, we want to push it on makes and misses, we want to have tempo. You’re right, I think I rely a lot on Lorenzo’s mindset and what he sees and he’s done to put his team in the position to be a running team, but our defense isn’t going to change,” Miller said.

“We’re looking to play defense at a high level, but we’re looking to push the ball always,” said Allonzo Trier. “I think Coach Romar gives us a different spin and a different perspective on how to do it and how he did it at Washington.

“It’s kind of about Coach Miller and Coach Romar combining their basketball minds and finding the best transition attack for us based on the weapons and team we have here.”
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:If you’ve followed Scheer for long enough you know his way of hinting. Seems like he’s dropping hints on Euro 2. We gotta good feeling on this one?
Judging by Scheer speak we should feel good about it. But he's been saying we should know one way or another "soon" for a couple weeks now so who knows.

Everyone has a different definition of "soon" it seems.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:

Sound to me like it’s a done deal!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:
BeardownZonaZona wrote:

Sound to me like it’s a done deal!
Nothing's a done deal until it's done my man. Scheer's not telling lies though that's for sure.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Is this being discussed in premium? I have not seen anything anywhere other than the comments here from Choo.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

gronk4heisman wrote:Is this being discussed in premium? I have not seen anything anywhere other than the comments here from Choo.

Yes. Dropped many hints over last few days. If you’ve followed him long enough this is him telling you without actually telling you. Like someone said above it’s Scheer Speak. That’s how I take it at least with hint like comments he’s made over the years.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Scheer said something like: top recruiting class in PAC and possibly still there to get better
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:Scheer said something like: top recruiting class in PAC and possibly still there to get better
Well yeah if you land a likely borderline 5 star player who would start from day 1 along with what you already got it would be the top recruiting class.in the Pac and would only make you better.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Probably too soon to address this, but if there is no 2020-21 college basketball season, what would happen with our players' eligibility? Would they just retain four years of eligibility, with the first year rolling over to 2021-22?
eoe

Post by eoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Probably too soon to address this, but if there is no 2020-21 college basketball season, what would happen with our players' eligibility? Would they just retain four years of eligibility, with the first year rolling over to 2021-22?
No play = no year of eligibility spent
ChooChooCat wrote:
Well yeah if you land a likely borderline 5 star player who would start from day 1 along with what you already got it would be the top recruiting class.in the Pac and would only make you better.
Any insight into why he wouldn't have gone to UK (or leaning there more at this point) considering their history with him and need?
eoe

Post by eoe »

Prospective:
1 and 2. Williams/Akinjo backed up by Baker, Kriisa, T. Brown
3. Terry backed up by Mathurin
4. J. Brown backed up by Lee, Gorener (RS?)
5. 7+ ft prospect or Koloko backed up by Koloko/Batcho
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

OK, can I clarify these muddied waters a little bit, since I don't go to Scheer's site and his Twitter feed is being very coy:

Would this player start at the 5, and does his last name begin with S and end with R?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

eoe wrote:Prospective:
1 and 2. Williams/Akinjo backed up by Baker, Kriisa, T. Brown
3. Terry backed up by Mathurin
4. J. Brown backed up by Lee, Gorener (RS?)
5. 7+ ft prospect or Koloko backed up by Koloko/Batcho
lineup projections:

PG Akinjo (20), Krissa (10), Baker (5)
SG Baker (15-20), Krissa (10-15), TBrown (10-15)
Wing Mathurin (25), Terry (15)
PF Euro#2 (20), Lee (10), JBrown (5) Batcho (5)
C JBrown (15), Koloko (15), Batcho (5), Lee (5)

Akinjo gets the waiver and starts from day 1. Probably eats Baker’s minutes there.
Krissa seems to have the most potential from deep and it will be needed. Might Start by PAC12
Baker I am higher on him than most I think he pushes to start
SG minutes may come down to offense/defense
Euro2 – trusting scheers comments here, if he is a starter probably gets more minutes
Lee played 13 min a game last year
Koloko averaged a foul every 5.8 min played and played 8.7 min in conference. Not sure he is ready to start
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

catgrad97 wrote:OK, can I clarify these muddied waters a little bit, since I don't go to Scheer's site and his Twitter feed is being very coy:

Would this player start at the 5, and does his last name begin with S and end with R?
No on the last name. If what I know is right I think he is more of a 4 man but I guess he could slide to the 5. really has put up nice numbers in his pro league (he doesn't get paid I would assume) or what ever league that is> Sounds like we should know soon
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

eoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Probably too soon to address this, but if there is no 2020-21 college basketball season, what would happen with our players' eligibility? Would they just retain four years of eligibility, with the first year rolling over to 2021-22?
No play = no year of eligibility spent
ChooChooCat wrote:
Any insight into why he wouldn't have gone to UK (or leaning there more at this point) considering their history with him and need?
Who are you talking about? The guy I'm referring to has no relationship with Kentucky.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

catgrad97 wrote:OK, can I clarify these muddied waters a little bit, since I don't go to Scheer's site and his Twitter feed is being very coy:

The Wake Forest kid is going to UK per Choo.

This is the unnamed Euro (unless you have premium apparently)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

No and no.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:

The Wake Forest kid is going to UK per Choo.

This is the unnamed Euro (unless you have premium apparently)
Dude literally committed to UK yesterday.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Ok, thank you guys.

It's just really hard for me to believe that there is a borderline five-star starter still within our grasp.

Miller continues to be a witch, but the proof is in the chemistry with this class. Until they all stay past their first year, all these international players are potential Robertas Javtokas situations.

And yes, I still count Radenovic as the exception that proves that rule. Call me skeptical, but we've been burned by flighty Euros in this program since Rolf Jacobs.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

catgrad97 wrote:
And yes, I still count Radenovic as the exception that proves that rule. Call me skeptical, but we've been burned by flighty Euros in this program since Rolf Jacobs.

Rolf Jacobs was not a Euro. He was a POS who got kicked off the team for hurting a teammate in practice I believe, but he played HS ball in California.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion